Home
I had me a day of leisure all planned out. Gonna sleep late, be lazy all day, eat until I about popped, etc. Basically just do nothing, but that all got changed yesterday.

As mentioned on another thread, we had a small family get together yesterday and Dad rolled in with a truck load of stuff. No, he wasn't playing Santa and bringing Christmas gifts, it was river stuff. I haven't been paying attention, but Dad and stepmom stay at the river just about all the time, and the river is rising. In another day or so, the camp will be under water. This means they (we) have to get everything out. 3 trailers, deep freeze, mowers, fridge, etc., you name it and its probably down there.

So instead of me getting to just goof off today, I'm getting ready to head out the door, drive about an hour or so, and help move things to where they wont go under water.

Yall have a nice day.
As soon as I get my sausage and biscuit and fried egg down, I'm going to see if I can't call in a coyote. After that, just going to hang around the house, and wait until my son and his bunch get here this afternoon, and then we'll eat some good stuff.
Work... 3 more days on this hitch...
I'm going to work.
Randy!

If you need help, let me know!

If so, I need to get crackin' pretty quick.
I had a 2.5-8 leupold go boobies up on my old BAR 338 WM awhile back, going to re-zero the old B&L scope for a holiday deer hunt, cut, split and throw another rick of wood on the back porch, then run to a neighbors and pick up a couple fresh gallons of cows milk and 4 dozen eggs, will heat up the lead pot and cast up some 400gr paper patch bullets for my 40-65 Sharps rifle,, that'll do the day. smile
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Randy!

Thanks Barry!

I think we got this covered. It's not like this is the first time this has happened. We got thru this routine just about every year, sometimes twice a year, and after almost 40 years, we ought to be good at it..... but we're not. He's already got his utility trailer at the river and I'm pulling mine down, so one trip with those trailers will get all the little stuff, I hope. (it usually does). We'll pull 2 of the trailers to a friend place about 4-5 miles up the road and park them there. The big trailer will be pulled home, tomorrow morning, if all goes well.

Thanks again and yall have a Merry Christmas!
Originally Posted by Oldman3
I had me a day of leisure all planned out. Gonna sleep late, be lazy all day, eat until I about popped, etc. Basically just do nothing, but that all got changed yesterday.

As mentioned on another thread, we had a small family get together yesterday and Dad rolled in with a truck load of stuff. No, he wasn't playing Santa and bringing Christmas gifts, it was river stuff. I haven't been paying attention, but Dad and stepmom stay at the river just about all the time, and the river is rising. In another day or so, the camp will be under water. This means they (we) have to get everything out. 3 trailers, deep freeze, mowers, fridge, etc., you name it and its probably down there.

So instead of me getting to just goof off today, I'm getting ready to head out the door, drive about an hour or so, and help move things to where they wont go under water.

Yall have a nice day.
Very sorry to hear of it. I hope you can salvage some of the holidays.

I expect my son and I will run over 30 miles to the Walmart and get some meds. Probably do some last minute shopping whilst in town. Everybody here is sick. Son and I had it first and are on the good side of a bad cold. Wife is in the middle of it and daughter is just working up to it.
I'm going to take it easy as it's my day off, and try to get over this darn cold I have. It's a never ending cycle with colds here, living in close quarters will do that. If I get to feeling better, I'll go the gym later tonight. Most importantly, I'll call the family and see how they are doing.
Randy!

Thanks Barry!

I think we got this covered. It's not like this is the first time this has happened. We got thru this routine just about every year, sometimes twice a year, and after almost 40 years, we ought to be good at it..... but we're not. He's already got his utility trailer at the river and I'm pulling mine down, so one trip with those trailers will get all the little stuff, I hope. (it usually does). We'll pull 2 of the trailers to a friend place about 4-5 miles up the road and park them there. The big trailer will be pulled home, tomorrow morning, if all goes well.

Thanks again and yall have a Merry Christmas!

Sounds like you have a handle on it.

Call if you need anything!
The wife and I are going crappie fishing.
About to go rabbit hunting.

Extended family celebration for lunch.

Family coming in this evening.
Hunting this AM, load up, head home, wrap Wifey’s presents, have a bit of Jack and Coke tonight
Morning chores, some last shopping, making potato soup for the family after Christmas Eve Church. Warping gifts.
Going coyote calling for a couple hours.
Im going to go to lunch with my fishing buddies and then get home and start braising the beef ribs I cut off the standing rib roasts I bought and cut up for ribeye steaks. While thats cookin I will have a few bourbons and do my Christmas shopping. I might cook up some New Orleans bbq shrimp for an afternoon snack.
Go out in the shop and weld until afternoon then go eat too much.
treating my son to IHOP for breakfast, then inviting people to visit us at church. pm, work on deck project at home. we open gifts this evening per family tradition. We will read both Christmas stories from the Bible, Matthew and Luke.
Go to church at 3:30...
Dang the rain. We got a bunch more coming right after Christmas too. Sounds like ya'll have a great camp at the river. A true labor of love.

As for today, I was gonna stuff a backstrap to grill later, but all the crabmeat ended up in the gumbo. Decisions...
Going to hang out with my sons. First time we have all been together for Christmas in 8 years.

Merry Christmas to all.
The China Doll is making more dumplings, venison and shrimp. Gonna eat some of those, maybe play with my new CO2 pistol, and read some of Dan Flores' book on the High Plains and/or the latest Longmire book I started. With the family gathering accomplished Saturday, we're in free-form mode here.

Six days of antlerless hunting begins Wednesday.
Some gift opening this morning, and then half a shift at work. Looking forward to time spent with friends and family, but it will be a hoot watching the last minute shoppers losing their minds at the store later. I'm a Vision Center Manager at Wal-Mart. The VC will be quiet today, but are open till 6.
Do some load development at the gun range this morning.
Finish my Christmas shopping! blush grin
My wife and I are in Estes Park, Colorado. Today is our 35th wedding anniversary so we will be celebrating that tonight with a great meal and a couple drinks. Today we will grab our cameras and go explore whatever trails we can find open. I'd love to get some bighorn photos. Later folks.
i'll be putting up a ladder stand behind the house and cutting some shooting lanes. ML comes in Wednesday and i still don't have a deer. hopefully saturday will be decent weather for black powder. got a month though so no big hurry. head to church at 7 and hear the story. hang out with my family and remember the good old days of not so long ago. i miss the christmas's when my kids were little.
Midnight mass, gonna saddle my colt and get a little ride in, work a bit- feed livestock . Love Christmas Eve...Merry Christmas, folks.
Christmas eve I am going to split a cord of fir firewood and load it on my truck and deliver it in the early afternoon, then home where my mom, and my 2 sons and their families will be for the evening, all of us together, Merry Christmas everyone!
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49
My wife and I are in Estes Park, Colorado. Today is our 35th wedding anniversary so we will be celebrating that tonight with a great meal and a couple drinks. Today we will grab our cameras and go explore whatever trails we can find open. I'd love to get some bighorn photos. Later folks.

Are you staying at the Stanley?

Very interesting place. Happy anniversary!
Hunting planted pheasents w gf this AM
At youngest son’s place up north of KC. Had our gathering yesterday. Met my new future DIL and step grandkids I’m going to have starting next month. A pleasant bunch. I’ve actually watched her grow up and have known her dad for well over 40 years. Most likely head home tomorrow when the roads are deserted.
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Some gift opening this morning, and then half a shift at work. Looking forward to time spent with friends and family, but it will be a hoot watching the last minute shoppers losing their minds at the store later. I'm a Vision Center Manager at Wal-Mart. The VC will be quiet today, but are open till 6.

That's funny, had to go to the local WM yesterday to pick up some last minute groceries. What a ZOO! Not going anywhere near that place today. I do have one present left to buy, and the local farm/ranch store will more than satisfy.
I will be cook`n oven butter`d shrimp and red snapper, cheesy hashbrowns this Christmas eve for my family and then watch`n my little grandkids open their gifts. Merry Christmas
I’m on call 24/7/365. But got home yesterday so I’m going to my friends gun shop to hang out and catch up on the BS I’ve missed in the last month.
I will finish packing the pickup for the grandchildren's cow elk hunt which starts on the 26th. After exchanging presents, we will leave tomorrow morning and drive up to the Gila so that we can get settled in and be out early on opening day.
A little four wheeler riding and brush cutting. Then a nap.
Gonna blow snow as soon as it tapers off a bit. Then will don some body armor and go to Costco. All the damn (don't tell SWMBO I said that) blinky lights we have around the house run on AA batts, and we've gone through a pallet of the things. Need more.

Then, I'll start soaking some apple chunks for the smoked turkey we plan for Boxing Day. We get together with daughter and family the day after. That allows both to enjoy The Day as we please, avoids traffic, and allows me two special meals!
Shoveling snow,,,,ugh!, and then doing GAP sponge camo on a couple rifle stocks.

Are you staying at the Stanley?

Very interesting place. Happy anniversary!

We are not staying at the Stanley but we have reservations tomorrow for Christmas brunch. Thanks for the congrats sir!
Originally Posted by Riverhawk
Shoveling snow,,,,ugh!, and then doing GAP sponge camo on a couple rifle stocks.

If only I could have patented sponge camo rifle painting... smile

I do believe I started that process that got so popular.
Try and get caught up with house projects. Then drink excessively.

Might be finished with house projects by 8 am.....
Relax today. Eat a late breakfast, clean my guns, then off to my sisters. Parents divorced, so Christmas Eve its with my mom and we do a big seafood thing and open gifts. Tomorrow its dads and huge traditional meal and gifts. Ill be stuffed for days. Next weekend......shrimp and crabs again. Ill be all shrimped out for awhile...lol
Headed to work, keeping my fingers crossed that maybe the boss sends us home early. Have some ribeyes in the fridge and my wife will be making cheesy potatoes, parmesan rolls, dips, and some kinda veggy.
Work on getting our boat ready for fishing season and then delivering home made cinnamon rolls to a number of neighbors. Raining hard here (we really need it),
Family....hunting....food...shooting....processing...fun...repeat as necessary....
Sitting in a motel room.
We're having the Family Christmas here today. The Boy's inlaws are so self centered that they never consider that just maybe our side of the Family just might want to have Christmas on Christmas day occasionally! Anyway, thets what I'm doing today.
Working a 12 hour shift followed by the family Christmas Eve dinner
Home sick, day 4. I have improved a bit, but don't want to give this to any of the family. Wife will go to her families this afternoon, I'll stay home with the dogs and probably watch some tv. Tomorrow will be more of the same, have to be well enough to go to work at 4am Wednesday. I wish all of you a Merry Christmas!
Killing damn pigs

[Linked Image]

Happy Anniversary! This reminded me , it is my and wife's anniversary, too!!
Day off at work! LOL

Laying around in the sleeper cab, spreading joy online, watching Netflix and stuff. Have a freezer full of goodies to microwave, got coffee, energy drinks and snacks but no real traditional food. Will enjoy a can of premium sardines and think about the lutafisk and other good stuff from years gone by. Contemplating shaving off a week's beard is about the only decision wanning.

Roll out in the morning for Christmas day on the road. Will make it home for a night Wednesday. Wife's working today and tomorrow too. Poor little Novi who's five and super excited about Christmas is getting shuffled around to the babysitter.

Merry Christmas to all ya'll!
Working today, then staying up late getting the kids Christmas gifts assembled and staged.
I am working until close at 6 PM tonight. After that not sure what I'll do, probably go downstairs and work on loading up some 53 gr Ballistic Tips in the 22/250. Just have to decide what powder I'm going to use, it's a tossup between 4451, 3031, and 4064.
Hanging around home, cleaning the shop for the next project. Youngest grandson and I will be building door panels, for the 52 Ford coupe I have him. We got flathead done last week! Merry Christmas to all!!!
Going to work out for an hour first. Start prep for the crown roast of pork with a pecan stuffing ,then straighten out the house a bit. low key; my kids with their kids with the focus around the 1 year old grand daughter . Chase them away around 8 and relax.
Christmas day someone else gets to do it all.
Split and stack another load of firewood. Mixture of Ash, Pecan and Hackberry. I love the smell of pecan burning. Wife has to work So I will put three racks of ribs on to smoke this afternoon and have them ready when she gets off. Have a few beers and relax this evening.

Merry Christmas to All
My wife made crescent rolls. We are going to take some to some friends that have the ranch north of where we are. Coyote calling also sounds like a good thing to do. My trapping is less than satisfying. Seems all I catch are skunks and the neighbor's dog. Caught the danged dog three times one week. Good thing they are live traps.
Going to visit the youngest boy and his family in Vail tomorrow afternoon. If you are traveling I-10 in Tucson and go by the construction at Ina and see a big red service truck, that's him. Honk or wave. He wont know who it is but I will explain to him what's going on - it's the campfire gang.

Merry Chrstmas to everyone.
Heading to clinic in a few to see an emergency from Pecos with a piece of steel stuck in the old eyeball and 30 min later an infection of the old eyeball is due to arrive. Ha, old eyeball.

(Brings back memories of the good old days)
I'm preparing the ham and turkey for tmro. Making dressing, peeling potatoes and onions. Frying up the onions and bread crumbs and the giblets. The whole bunch is coming here and they will be hungry.
Cribbage, poker and Euchre will be rolling tmro.
Shopped a little,got called out for work,later it's off to the in-laws for the 7 feeshe.,
Tomorrow it's at our house,Mrs Rong and I are doing a prime rib.

Enjoy,,Merry Christmas
Originally Posted by hanco
Killing damn pigs

[Linked Image]

All right. Roasted ham for Christmas.

Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Day off at work! LOL

Laying around in the sleeper cab, spreading joy online, watching Netflix and stuff. Have a freezer full of goodies to microwave, got coffee, energy drinks and snacks but no real traditional food. Will enjoy a can of premium sardines and think about the lutafisk and other good stuff from years gone by. Contemplating shaving off a week's beard is about the only decision wanning.

Roll out in the morning for Christmas day on the road. Will make it home for a night Wednesday. Wife's working today and tomorrow too. Poor little Novi who's five and super excited about Christmas is getting shuffled around to the babysitter.

Merry Christmas to all ya'll!

Same to you. Take care on the road.
Something I do every Christmas Eve....I head to my favorite deer stand and just watch....I give em a break for one day.....perhaps two days including the Big Day.

Here's an example:

[Linked Image]
Update

I shaved and cut the finger nails. All civilized again! Ate some vidals and had a good cup of coffee, from my new K-cup maker. Watching the tank documentary on NetFlix. Only truck parked here so lots of bandwidth. It is censored for weapons and nudity though. LOL
Deer hunted this morning. Didn’t see a thing. We should have squirrel hunted instead.

Christmas church service this evening.

Inlaws coming over for chicken pie this evening.

No place I’d rather be!

Wishing you all the same!
Just got done putting together the pasties (pastry kind, ;-{>8) then church with grandkids plus evening festivities including the jolly old curmudgeon reciting "A Visit From St. Nicholas".

Ho Ho Ho to all you and yours.
Rehafted my sledge hammer. Now going to take a nap.
Breakfast with the family, took my kid to the farm where I hunt to grab a trail cam he set up (lots of fox!) and feed some horses (he likes horses all of a sudden) and do an hour hunt/walk to teach him some more still hunting techniques.

Church in a bit, dinner with friends, Emmit Otters Jugband Christmas for family movie, play Santa, have a drink.

Pretty damned good day, in fact.
If I can work up the energy, I may have a wank later.
Wrenched on my car some, loaded for my 300 Savage and will cook when my two other sons arrive.
Christmas Eve Church. Then wraping gifts.

Yall have a nice day.

camp up on stilts, or just a trailer?
I'm gonna fight with all of the 24hcf guys about how great California is...🤣
Fry a couple turkeys
Originally Posted by Sycamore

Yall have a nice day.

camp up on stilts, or just a trailer?

Well I got back a couple of sandwiches ago. Loaded both freezers, fridge, mower, worm bed, and a bunch of ice chest and made dash home. Unloaded the stuff and back to the river. Moved 2 trailers to a friends place that doesn't flood, unblocked the 3rd trailer and it will be moved tomorrow morning. Loaded 4 wheeler, propane tanks, and other stuff on the utility trailer, to come in tomorrow. I pulled the last boat home when I came in a little while ago. We're thru, except for them pulling the big trailer and loaded utility trailer in tomorrow.

We rent the place and don't want to build a permanent structure. We thought about floating the big trailer, but we'd still have to move all the other stuff, so it really isn't practical.
Cooking wifey some steaks, having a jack and coke!
Originally Posted by Salmonella
I'm gonna fight with all of the 24hcf guys about how great California is...🤣

I watched a video a second ago about THE California Burrito.

Looked pretty f'ing good to me.
I am going to a friends home and we are getting together with some friends there to sing some carols and watch a good movie and just enjoy each other's company.

Christmas in Wyoming is wonderful.
I remember a couple of Christmas's far from home, so I like to send this out at Christmas time so Americans can remember who stands between them and the evils that would destroy them.

Many of you have probably read this in years past, but it bears re-posting at Christmas time.

Every Christmas we should say a prayer for those that can't be home.
Semper Fi and may God bless them.

TWAS THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS. HE LIVED ALL ALONE,
IN A ONE BEDROOM HOUSE MADE OF PLASTER AND STONE..

I HAD COME DOWN THE CHIMNEY WITH PRESENTS TO GIVE,
TO SEE JUST WHO IN THIS OLD HOUSE DID LIVE.

I LOOKED ALL ABOUT. A STRANGE SIGHT I DID SEE,
NO TINSEL, NO PRESENTS. NOT EVEN A TREE.

NO STOCKING BY MANTLE. JUST BOOTS FILLED WITH SAND,
ON THE WALL THERE HUNG PICTURES OF FAR DISTANT LANDS.

WITH MEDALS AND BADGES, AWARDS OF ALL KINDS,
A SOBERING THOUGHT CAME QUICK THROUGH MY MIND.

FOR THIS HOUSE WAS DIFFERENT,
IT WAS DARK. SOMEWHAT DREARY.
HE’S A US MARINE! THAT, NOW I COULD SEE CLEARLY.

THE MARINE LAY THERE SLEEPING, SILENT. ALONE.
CURLED UP ON THE FLOOR IN THIS ONE BEDROOM HOME.

THE FACE WAS SO GENTLE. HE LOOKED BABE-LIKE. SERENE.
HE WAS NOT HOW I'D PICTURED A U.S. MARINE.

WAS THIS HERE THE HERO OF WHOM I'D JUST READ?
CURLED UP ON A PONCHO, JUST THE FLOOR FOR A BED?

I REALIZED THE FAMILIES THAT I SAW THIS NIGHT,
OWED THEIR LIVES TO THESE VETERANS WHO WERE WILLING TO FIGHT.

SOON ROUND THE WORLD ALL THE CHILDREN WOULD PLAY,
AND GROWNUPS WOULD CELEBRATE BRIGHT CHRISTMAS DAY.

THEY ALL ENJOYED FREEDOM EACH DAY OF EACH YEAR.
BECAUSE OF THE VETERANS , LIKE THE ONE LYING HERE.

I COULDN'T HELP WONDER HOW MANY LAY ALONE,
ON A COLD CHRISTMAS EVE IN A LAND FAR FROM HOME.

THE VERY THOUGHT BROUGHT A TEAR TO MY EYE,
I DROPPED TO MY KNEES AND STARTED TO CRY.

THE MARINE THEN AWAKENED AND I HEARD HIS ROUGH VOICE,
'SANTA, DON'T CRY! THIS LIFE IS MY CHOICE.

I FIGHT FOR YOUR FREEDOM. I DON'T ASK FOR MORE.
MY LIFE IS MY GOD AND MY COUNTRY. MY CORPS.

HE THEN ROLLED BACK OVER AND DRIFTED TO SLEEP,
BUT I COULDN'T CONTROL IT, I CONTINUED TO WEEP.

I KEPT WATCH FOR HOURS,SO SILENT AND STILL
AND BOTH OF US SHIVERED FROM THAT DARK NIGHT'S COLD CHILL.

I DIDN'T WANT TO LEAVE HIM ON THAT ICE COLD, DARK NIGHT.
THIS GUARDIAN OF HONOR, SO WILLING TO FIGHT.

THE MARINE THEN ROLLED OVER, WITH A VOICE SOFT AND PURE,
HE WHISPERED, 'CARRY ON SANTA! IT'S CHRISTMAS DAY. ALL'S SECURE.'

ONE LOOK AT MY WATCH AND I KNEW HE WAS RIGHT.

SO 'MERRY CHRISTMAS MY FRIEND'! AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT.'
Originally Posted by hanco
Killing damn pigs

[Linked Image]

Winner!

Slept in, put some finishing touches on the Lionel train under our tree, replaced the plastic shroud on my Tikka, ordered a Pendleton wool shirt on sale, and enjoying time with my family.
Took dad and daughter prairie dog shooting, made cookies for santa, made hot cocoa, after dinner going for a drive to see Christmas lights.
Well, it wasn't planned, but I drove 2 hours and then spent 4.5 hours trying to help our son track a buck he shot. Unfortunately we weren't able to find it, but, man, did we look.

After a 2 hour drive home, I'm exhausted, but going to spend time with the women in my life - the lil' wife and mother.

[Linked Image]

Oldman3: I have been waiting for a couple weeks now for the wind to die down so I could test a pair of new to me Varmint Rifles for accuracy potential.
Wouldn't you know it here on Christmas eve morning the wind finally quit.
Load up was quickly done (everything was waiting by the garage door!) and I grabbed a Yeti insulated cup of coffee and off I went.
The 24 mile drive to my friends private Rifle range was extremely pleasant - saw Mule Deer, Whitetail Deer, Antelope, Eagles (both kind), "tons" of Canada Geese, Mallards galore. Passed the reservoir and about 10 ice houses were occupied (ATV's alongside them) even saw a Moose near the reservoirs south end.
The shooting was a great success but only fired 20 rounds or so - cold out!
Headed home and decided to unload the guns and headed back out in a different direction to look for Elk.
Found only 40 Elk or so but there was one large pasture that had 920 (nine hundred and twenty!) Whitetail Deer in it - I counted them one by one through my spotting scope.
They have got to cut into that ranchers crop and hay supply for his cattle?
And I could only see maybe an eighth of that ranch from my vantage point!
Saw one coyote but it was on a "no go" ranch and my Rifles were back at home anyway.
Got home cleaned the Rifles and went and got a beer and took refuge in my sunroom to watch the sunset - pleasant it was, but nothing spectacular. Watched a group of 20 Mule Deer (4 small Bucks) feeding in my yard from the sunroom until dark.
Counted my blessings and wished peace upon the earth (fat chance, but I did it anyway!).
Then dinner.
Big doins tomorrow!
Merry Christmas to all.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Randy,

Merry Christmas to you, Jo , Alan and family...
Not much today, wifey building Christmas dinner. Son and his family coming over. Gonna get up early tomorrow, head out to deer lease in Burnet county. Hope to catch some pigs, kill a deer, maybe an aoudad.

I hope you all have a great day!!
Killing more damn pigs

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire