Home
Posted By: Owl Family Dinner Time - 02/25/19
How many of you ate dinner at the table as a family when growing up ?

How many of you still do that with your children ?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Paul_M Re: Family Dinner Time - 02/25/19
Lots of families still eat together at the table.
All tho, they are all on their smart phones oblivious to each other. whistle
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Family Dinner Time - 02/25/19
We all ate supper together every night as a kid, the whole family landed at Grannys every Sunday for all day visit and dinner, no kids here, so Wife and I eat supper at the table sometimes, less college football season when she's wadded up on the couch watching a game. grin
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Family Dinner Time - 02/25/19
We did as a kid.....and still do today. Every night.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Family Dinner Time - 02/25/19
always did as a kid, now only on holidays.
Posted By: Hastings Re: Family Dinner Time - 02/25/19
We did when I was a kid and it was always fractious, with all kinds of complaining and trouble making by my sister (the troll) and my father correcting on etiquette and being told about eating too much (I was underweight until 9th grade). So now since I acquired the wife I have now (1987), I eat at the bar by myself and read. Used to read the newspaper, now I get the news online. Socializing with the kids and grand kids is done away from the table, unless at a restaurant.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Family Dinner Time - 02/25/19
Always as kids.

We still do when the kids are home or with company.

No cell phone rule at the table, too !
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Family Dinner Time - 02/25/19
Did & still do.
It's not easy, but it's one of the few times we are all together. Technology & society are tearing families apart, but we resist.
Posted By: noKnees Re: Family Dinner Time - 02/25/19
Did as a kid, still do it now. No phones. no TV, just family.
Originally Posted by noKnees
Did as a kid, still do it now. No phones. no TV, just family.

Yeah. We have a TV in the kitchen but we dont turn it on.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Family Dinner Time - 02/25/19
Every night as a kid. Same with my kids. Every now and then we’ll eat in front of the TV.

No phones. Ever.
Posted By: deflave Re: Family Dinner Time - 02/25/19
If we can we do, if we can't it's no big deal.
Originally Posted by deflave
If we can we do, if we can't it's no big deal.

Thats how it starts.
Posted By: deflave Re: Family Dinner Time - 02/25/19
Maybe.

But if my wife only has time to change clothes and get back out the door to her second job that's her problem.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Family Dinner Time - 02/25/19
family dinner time was inviolate at our house. Today, it's just the wife and I, or just me, as I go between the South Florida place and the North Florida place. Rules are less strict
Maybe.

But if my wife only has time to change clothes and get back out the door to her second job that's her problem.

You could at least say a quick prayer and send her out the door with a sack lunch.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Family Dinner Time - 02/25/19
Growing up the family always had dinner together. But that was back in the '50's & 60's when it was commonplace. In the 80's & 90's when our kids were growing up we still did that but from what I hear these days it's getting a bit weird with all of our modern devices. So I guess I'm now a dinosaur.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Family Dinner Time - 02/25/19
I always eat dinner with companions, generally it's my three golden retrievers wanting to share everything i have.
wife eats dinner in front of a computer, but she does feed me which is a good thing.
Posted By: Hubert Re: Family Dinner Time - 02/25/19
We did until my wife died. it doesn't matter anymore.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Family Dinner Time - 02/25/19
Originally Posted by stxhunter
always did as a kid, now only on holidays.

+1
Posted By: stantdm Re: Family Dinner Time - 02/25/19
I grew up in the fifties and do not remember when we didn't eat as a family. Never had the TV on until well after supper. It was the same when my son was growing up. Today it is the two of us and we eat at the table with the TV on some of the time.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Family Dinner Time - 02/25/19
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Maybe.

You could at least say a quick prayer and send her out the door with a sack lunch.

and a mint..

LMAO. smile
Posted By: KFWA Re: Family Dinner Time - 02/25/19
when the kids were young every night, then high school sports and school work came into the mix and it didn't happen as often. Daughter went off to college, son got a job and we find ourselves eating out.

Lately we did a couple of things that have encouraged us to eat at the table as a family regularly. We're all trying to eat a little better so the meals we have are more focused and not just whatever a 10 year old likes and over the past couple of years we've upgraded our cookware.

6 years ago we renovated the kitchen, switched over to gas and bought a higher end gas range/oven. To me at least, it made a noticeable difference in the taste of our food. Then we start looking at cookware and replaced the cheap stuff with higher quality..

so the combination of cooking with a purpose and having the better cooking "tools" so to speak has made us want to eat dinner at home as a family. Not out of necessity like when the kids were little but because we want to.

No idea how long it will last. I guess as long as its appealing to us. Last night was fresh salmon (as fresh as it gets in southern Ohio) and tonight is stuffed chicken breasts.
Posted By: EdM Re: Family Dinner Time - 02/25/19
Always did growing up and always did when the three boys were still living with us. My wife and I do it four or five times a week now.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Family Dinner Time - 02/25/19
Always did growing up, always did with the kids, always do with the wife.
Posted By: superlight17b Re: Family Dinner Time - 02/25/19
We did and still do now,no TV allowed,NO CELL PHONES!
© 24hourcampfire