Home
Posted By: fubarguy Scraping the whiskers off - 03/16/19
I've had it with buying disposable razors.
The cheap ones vary between broken glass and sandpaper.
The expensive ones are just too expensive.
I found an older double edge safety razor with one old blade in it and, it worked like a charm! imagine that!
So, who still uses them and what blades do you recommend?
Posted By: Paul_M Re: Scraping the whiskers off - 03/16/19
I like Feather blades in mine.
Here is a link to some blade reviews
https://hairfreelife.com/the-sharpest-double-edged-razor-blades-top-to-bottom/
I bought a Merkur last year but only used it a few times. I think it gave me razor burn.

Went back to disposables. Clean close cool.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Scraping the whiskers off - 03/16/19
I trimmed 4"+ off my beard yesterday.

There's still 3" + on my chin. Does that count?

I felt nearly clean shaven when I took my shower yesterday.

Geno
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Scraping the whiskers off - 03/16/19
Gillette Stainless Silver Blue Blades Made in Russia. Cost too much.
Been using this outfit for a decade or more.....WM sells feather blades cheap so that's what I use.

Same thing with the soap.....it's scarce so I use what I can find.

[Linked Image]
How many shaves do you fellers get outta one of those double head razors like that? Blade life, in other words...
Those old safety razors work really well. Especially if you have not shaved for a couple days or weeks.

They dont plug up as fast.
I have not shaved other than a touch up for half a life time. When I do shave a stray whisker or so, I use a cheap disposable, no lather
Bic comfort 3.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Scraping the whiskers off - 03/16/19
I do not miss the nicks I used to get with a safety razor. Still, when I shave off my winter beard I wish I could find my old razor.
As Jim said, you can open it to flush it out.
Havalon Baracuda. šŸ˜
Posted By: Paul_M Re: Scraping the whiskers off - 03/16/19
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
How many shaves do you fellers get outta one of those double head razors like that? Blade life, in other words...

Most of them come in 5 ct packs.
I bought some Feather blades and used the first one around Nov. 1st and last week put the 5th in the razor.
I will use it for at least a month or so shaving every other day.
The first couple of blades I think I actually threw away too soon.
If I wanted to push it I think I could really stretch it out to 2 plus months of shaving.
I rinse out the razor and flip the blade after every shave so the blade stays cleaner and doesn't get any shave soap built up on it.
You can buy 100 on amazon for $22.38. That's .22 per blade and the Feathers are considered the expensive ones.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...-20&linkId=NNZDRAHI3COG7FNV&th=1
The Astra blades which are popular are only $7.96 per 100 .08 per blade
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...-20&linkId=VW6FTPGGHWVIU57L&th=1
I prefer the Astras. I get about 5 shaves out of a blade before I add it to my used blade collection. I could get more, but they're so cheap, why bother? As for how many shaves out of the razor? I dunno, it's a Gillette I got at the PX when I arrived at Cam Ranh back in the last century.

R

I use mine for a week and pitch em. At $8 for 100 blades, I don't too much worry about them after that. I am a daily shaver, so 5 good shaves (first one through weekend stubble) and they get tossed. I could use em longer, however...

I use Astra blades, they work well. I have a few vintage Gillette handles and some repop DE89 patterns and a couple TTO. I sorta collect the handles, but that collection has dwindled.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Scraping the whiskers off - 03/16/19
I don't understand why anyone still uses blades. I use a Braun electric self-cleaning shaver. No nicks or cuts. I can watch TV while shaving. Shaves at least as clean as a razor.
I use feather blades too. I toss them after 5 or so shaves, Iā€™ll have to try flipping them over, I never thought of that. Theyā€™re definitely sharp and you can nick yourself good if youā€™re not careful. The trick is to go slow and be methodical, I canā€™t just whip the razor around like a disposable & not look like I got in a fight with a house cat.
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
I don't understand why anyone still uses blades. I use a Braun electric self-cleaning shaver. No nicks or cuts. I can watch TV while shaving. Shaves at least as clean as a razor.

I have a top of the line Panasonic electric razor.

Used a Norelco for years.

Never saw an electric that would come close to a blade though.
Posted By: Youper Re: Scraping the whiskers off - 03/17/19
Originally Posted by fubarguy
I've had it with buying disposable razors.
The cheap ones vary between broken glass and sandpaper.
The expensive ones are just too expensive.
I found an older double edge safety razor with one old blade in it and, it worked like a charm! imagine that!

What are these "razor" things you're talking about?
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: Scraping the whiskers off - 03/17/19
Do the electrics still pull the hair out of your neck near your adams apple? I hated that.
Originally Posted by fubarguy

I bought 1000 ct Wilkinson Sword Gillettes. Probly last me until I die. Iā€™m 60. My facial hair is stiff as hard drawn copper wire. I only get a maximum of 2.5 shaves per blade.

I just use Noxzema or hot water.
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Scraping the whiskers off - 03/17/19
They sell blade samplers on ebay, and I strongly recommend OP picking one up. Everyone's skin and facial hair is different, and what works great for someone else may chew your face up. Try several different blades and eventually you will find one that works for you.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Scraping the whiskers off - 03/17/19
I recently bought a bag of the Schick single blade disposable razors because they were cheap. They work better than most cheap disposable razors that I know of.
Electric razors give me a festering batch of ingrown whiskers. Been using safety razors for years now. Recommend getting one that can adjust the blade angle. Also try different blades; one man's medicine is another man's poison. I've actually had pretty good luck with el cheapo Derby blades.

I'm not a very good barometer because I only shave when I go to town which is usually once a week (sometimes twice) but I get about a month out of a blade. smile
Posted By: tzone Re: Scraping the whiskers off - 03/17/19
I thought this thread was about pussy. Never mind.
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Scraping the whiskers off - 03/17/19
Another good product for ingrowns: Tend Skin aftershave.

Expensive as all get out and burns like the fires of Hell, but it is the most effective ingrown treatment I have found. Use daily. Follow it with a balm.
What's a razor?
In my other life, I'm Santa.
Posted By: IZH27 Re: Scraping the whiskers off - 03/17/19
Iā€™m working my way through a sample pack of blades that I bought on amazon. Ten blades from ten different manufacturers. The Persona blades have been the best so far. Derby was OK. Feather nicked me too much. I wouldnā€™t have thought that different blades could be so different. Itā€™s a little nerdy but Iā€™m making notes on how each one performs. Iā€™ll probably round robin and check notes on the second cutting and make comparisons. Maybe a ladder test for best accuracy. Nerdy.
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: Scraping the whiskers off - 03/17/19
I have actually been enjoying shaving since Gillett pissed me off enough to go old school safety razor. Guess I got lucky because the crazy sharp Feather brand blades are treating my face just fine. No need for a ladder test but IZH27 please do report back on how your test results turn out grin
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: Scraping the whiskers off - 03/17/19
https://www.amazon.com/MERKUR-Class...amp;refRID=N2RV7TF86KCGG3MG01V4&th=1

This is the razor I bought..... I bought 50 of the Feather blades for less than $12.00. I'm more than happy with the results so for less than $23.00 I just placed an order for 100 more..... I should be good for the next 3 years now. Bite me Gillett.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=feather+razor+blades&i=beauty&crid=3T47WBFSLY3YY&sprefix=Feather%2Cbeauty%2C161&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_7

Not sure why the Feather razor blade link isn't working but you can just type in the name....
Adjustable Gillette safety razor, 70s vintage, is now my go to. Eying Feather blades but have dozens of Astras to use up first... I generally go 6 to 10 days between harvests while on the road. I like shaving at home. A new blade makes it a pleasure

I do also use Schick Extreme 3s for less challenging crops.

Adjustable butterfly for me... Seems like the ideal design to me.
Posted By: 325Abn Re: Scraping the whiskers off - 03/17/19
I've been using the Kai blades in my Merkur and they give a great shave...typically keep 'em for a couple weeks up to a month before swapping in a new one.
KAI stainless steel double edge safety razor blades

Used the Williams "Mug" shaving soap for decades....cheap and good enough. Then decided to try something different and ordered some Phoenix Shaving Soap - "Gondolier" flavor. WOW! What a huge improvement and didn't realize what i had been missing....it's easy to use too much - only a light dabbing with the brush is plenty and it smells pretty good as well.
Phoenix "Gondolier" saving soap
Started using an electric when I had my appendix hacked out of me. It was just much easier shave with at the time. I never went back.
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
https://www.amazon.com/MERKUR-Class...amp;refRID=N2RV7TF86KCGG3MG01V4&th=1

This is the razor I bought..... I bought 50 of the Feather blades for less than $12.00. I'm more than happy with the results so for less than $23.00 I just placed an order for 100 more..... I should be good for the next 3 years now. Bite me Gillett.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=feather+razor+blades&i=beauty&crid=3T47WBFSLY3YY&sprefix=Feather%2Cbeauty%2C161&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_7

Not sure why the Feather razor blade link isn't working but you can just type in the name....

same one i bought a few months back along with a 100 pack of astor blades. been happy with it.
Posted By: Paul_M Re: Scraping the whiskers off - 03/17/19
If you want to try some different blades, here you can buy a bunch of different brands.
You can pick your own selection and buy just 1 blade of any brand you want.
That way if you don't like a blade you don't have others that you are stuck with.
http://tryablade.com/blade

Fyi the first blades I tried were van der hagen that I bought at Walmart. Those suck.

Nicks are a problem for me. Aspirin, plavix and Eliquis cause problems with a blade. Electric for me. Hasbeen
Pre-war Gillette Tech Fat Handle with Feather blade.
Posted By: trplem Re: Scraping the whiskers off - 03/17/19
Pretty basic Merkur with Feather blades does the job for me. Blades last about a month shaving every day. The trick for me is shower before shaving, and clean/flip blade every other day.
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945

Nicks are a problem for me. Aspirin, plavix and Eliquis cause problems with a blade. Electric for me. Hasbeen

Yeah, taking blood thinners and aspirin are is what keeps me from buying a safety razor.
Haven't ever used a safety razor, but have switched from Gilette Mach 3 to a Harry's. Am still on the first blade that came with the handle, since February 1, shaving two to three times a week. It's still clean, close and comfortable. Had to learn to press a lot lighter than with the Mach 3, or the Harry's would "fold" my skin and gouge it good.

And I use Cremo cream. Still on the first tube of it I bought in November. Probably have only about 20 shaves worth left. A 1" worm is all you need for a shave.

When I need an after-shave balm, I use Dove Men + Care. Their body wash, deodorant, and shampoo are also great, btw.
Posted By: IZH27 Re: Scraping the whiskers off - 03/17/19
Originally Posted by trplem
Pretty basic Merkur with Feather blades does the job for me. Blades last about a month shaving every day. The trick for me is shower before shaving, and clean/flip blade every other day.

I also keep a container of alcohol to rinse the blade and razor after shaving. This displaces h2o on the blade and helps keep the blade edge from corroding.
Pretty tough to beat this.

https://smile.amazon.com/Derby-Extr...mp;pd_rd_wg=2NagP&ref_=pd_gw_cr_simh
Posted By: fubarguy Re: Scraping the whiskers off - 03/21/19
Update:
I tried these blades;
Van Der Hagen,,,,,,, horrible! worse than broken glass
Personna,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,not bad but only for touch ups
Derby,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the best so far, smoothe and no irritation
Posted By: mathman Re: Scraping the whiskers off - 03/21/19

Not on my beard.
Just whisked off a five-day beard with my February 1st Harry's blade and Cremo. Not a nick, no burn, and smooth as a baby's cheeks (either set).
Posted By: Scott F Re: Scraping the whiskers off - 03/21/19
I have been using these for the last 5 years.

https://smile.amazon.com/Feather-Ra...x=fea%2Cbeauty%2C208&sr=1-4&th=1
Posted By: mathman Re: Scraping the whiskers off - 03/21/19
That Cremo is pretty good stuff.
Posted By: Hubert Re: Scraping the whiskers off - 03/21/19
I use Gillett Fusion power. that vibrates. it gives me the best shave and no bleeding at all. I have rough spots on my face but it doesn't cause bleeding..
Posted By: weagle Re: Scraping the whiskers off - 04/13/19
Because I had a family member that worked for Gillette, I have bought nothing but Gillette disposable razors and Gillette foamy shaving cream for over 35 years.

When I ran out 2 weeks ago, I broke out an old 1970's Schick Krona safety Razor bought some DE blades. Switched to Barbasol shaving cream and kicked Gillette to the curb.

Other than brand loyalty to a once great company, I don't know why I was wasting all the money to shave. Old School safety razor and cheap Barbasol shaves just as good or better, just as fast and easy and tons cheaper. I didn't bother with all that shaving soap, shaving brush, skin prep etc. Just changed hardware and went on as usual.
My Norelco is "good enough for government work" !
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Scraping the whiskers off - 04/13/19
Originally Posted by mathman
That Cremo is pretty good stuff.

I bought some of that stuff because of this thread. It's definitely slick stuff.
Finally swapped out that first Harry's blade. Started using it Feb 1 and retired it on on April 1, but it was still shaving close and comfy. Thinking that the half dozen blades on hand will be good for a year. Also still on my first tube of Cremo, after five months. It's like a clown car - stuff just keeps on coming out.

Now that my beard has turned completely silver, it seems even softer than before - and it never was a "wire brush" kind of beard to begin with. That undoubtedly has a lot to do with how long a blade lasts me. But two months on a single blade is pretty remarkable. $15 a year for blades is cheap.
© 24hourcampfire