Home
Posted By: Owl Mossberg 4x4 .30-06 - 04/18/19
Won one of these at a raffle last week.

Anyone have one of these ?

Thoughts ?

Advice ?

Pro's ?

Con's ?
I have a Mosberg ATR, the predecessor to it in .270 Win.

Never work up a load for it, just using the old standby and it prints 3/4" groups at 100 yards.
All I've done if free float the barrel.
Posted By: Owl Re: Mossberg 4x4 .30-06 - 04/18/19
Thank you.

Dennisinaz is headed out this evening on an unrelated event.

Said he'd put a few rounds through it too see what it will do.

As for an extra "standby" or "loaner", I have plenty already.

If it shoots, I think that I'm going to give it to my little brother.

If it doesn't shoot, I think it's headed down the road.

Anyone else ? Anyone ? Bueller ?
Posted By: EIB0879 Re: Mossberg 4x4 .30-06 - 04/18/19
I have a 4x4 in 30-06 with a wood stock. I mounted a Meopro 3.5-10x 44mm scope on it. It shoots almost everything I feed it accurately. I like the 24" fluted barrel. The bolt is a little stiff. I like the stock on it. Felt recoil is less that my .270 Maverick.

I do need to take the bolt apart and clean it. I had a light primer strike shooting at a deer in January. Fortunately the deer wasn't spooked and I was able to chamber another round and get the job done. I switched ammo and shot another deer 30 mins later with no problem. It was the only time I had that happen with that rifle but want to make sure it isn't a problem going forward.

I really like the rifle.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Mossberg 4x4 .30-06 - 04/18/19
Raffle rifle, nevermind, disregard my previous comment.

If youve got other rifles, (more than you need) yeah- I would send it down the road.
Posted By: Owl Re: Mossberg 4x4 .30-06 - 04/18/19
Originally Posted by slumlord
It's your rifle man. Shouldn't you be exercising your own 'feel' to it if you're going to call it a "standby" rifle? And if you've got plenty already and will send it down the road before even firing it, then why did you even acquire it?

I have more CF rifles than I can shake a stick at. Dennis is a much better marksman than me. If he can get it to "shoot", then I know it's a keeper.

I don't need another safe Queen. The reason for the inquiry is that my younger brother wants a CF rifle. Has never had one. If it shoots,
I'm going to give it to him.

Would you give your brother a rifle that shoots Sub 6" groups ? or Sub moa ?
Posted By: EIB0879 Re: Mossberg 4x4 .30-06 - 04/19/19
The only rifle that I can't group better than with the 4x4 is my Sako L691 300 Wby. .
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Mossberg 4x4 .30-06 - 04/19/19
Jeff, I hope the rifle shoots and your brother enjoys it.
Posted By: Owl Re: Mossberg 4x4 .30-06 - 04/19/19
Thank you Mr. Randy.
© 24hourcampfire