Home
Posted By: Lucas1 Custom knives - 05/14/19
How do you know what some good ones are with so many custom knives out there? Are they all as good as they say they are? What are some of your favorites?
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Custom knives - 05/14/19
A maker being a Voting Member of The Knifemaker's Guild or a maker that is either a Journeyman Smith or Master Smith in the ABS is usually a good start.
Posted By: TF49 Re: Custom knives - 05/14/19
Blackheart Pike, Busse Hogmuk and everything Koster.

Having said that, the last elk I dressed I used an Outdoor Edge replaceable blade knife. It did just fine.
Posted By: Judman Re: Custom knives - 05/14/19
Double H, godogs 57 on here, gene ingram, Dale Howe aka mtman1 lots of good makers, I like these guys. Hank is really easy to work with ...
Posted By: hunter4623 Re: Custom knives - 05/14/19
I have a few Beck knives. Dave Beck makes some awesome stuff imo
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Custom knives - 05/14/19
Originally Posted by TF49
Blackheart Pike, Busse Hogmuk and everything Koster.

Having said that, the last elk I dressed I used an Outdoor Edge replaceable blade knife. It did just fine.

hate to admit it, as i have a large collection. last coupole of elk were mostly with a outdoor edge. solves a lot of issues.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Custom knives - 05/14/19
I just looked at all my knives - It appears to some guy named China.
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Custom knives - 05/14/19
Ruana Knives
Posted By: SBTCO Re: Custom knives - 05/14/19
A few questions to ask yourself when shopping:

What is the knife for? Does the design follow the intended usage?

Does the steel choice match the design?

Does the maker match the heat treat to the steel or do they come up with a mysterious heat treating method handed down from the black arts?
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Custom knives - 05/14/19
You want a nice custom knife send a PM to Michiganroadkill, he's a hell of a knife maker and a hell of a guy. He can answer all your questions and help you get setup with the knife you really want.
Posted By: PWN Re: Custom knives - 05/14/19
Have Mike Miller build you a knife. He can turn your vision into reality.
Posted By: Partsman Re: Custom knives - 05/14/19
I either carry one my dad made, or kershW or the odd time my first knife I bought an old timer, but gene Ingram has been making good knives for years and has a good following, you have gotten a lot of good advice here.
Posted By: Borchardt Re: Custom knives - 05/14/19
Dozier trained under Bob Loveless. He makes a very nice Loveless Drop Point for about $3K less than a Loveless. They run about $1200 depending on handle material.

His bare bones knives are an even better bargain, $450 for the Dozier Hunter.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Custom knives - 05/14/19
Originally Posted by PWN
Have Mike Miller build you a knife. He can turn your vision into reality.

Agreed.......I only own two custom knives.....a Mike Miller B&T and a Dan Thompson Drop Point.

Either one of those guys will make you what you want at a very fair price.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Custom knives - 05/14/19

My michiganroadkill knife is the real deal. Great guy to work with and he will make you what you’re looking for.
Posted By: deflave Re: Custom knives - 05/14/19
Originally Posted by JP_Lucas
How do you know what some good ones are with so many custom knives out there? Are they all as good as they say they are? What are some of your favorites?

You buy them and use them and sell as you see fit.
Posted By: dogzapper Re: Custom knives - 05/14/19

Friends,

It's awfully hard to beat a George Herron knife.

My buddy George is gone now, may he rest in peace, but if you can find a Herron, you've found a total treasure that will last for lifetimes.

Blessings,

Steve
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Custom knives - 05/14/19
ANYTHING with "Bagwell" on it, he's made me an 11.5" Damascus Bowie, a five inch Damascus skinner and a hell of a cool carbon bladed patch knife for my 58cal round ball rig.
Posted By: Judman Re: Custom knives - 05/15/19
Originally Posted by dogzapper

Friends,

My buddy George is gone now, may he rest in peace, but if you can find a Herron, you've found a total treasure that will last for lifetimes.

Blessings,

Steve

Steve, do you have any pics youd like to share? Never heard of him. Thanks
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Custom knives - 05/15/19
Todd Thayn of Thayn Custom Knifes makes as fine a knife as anyone
Posted By: TimZ Re: Custom knives - 05/15/19
Here on the fire you have Tim Olt (Michiganroadkill), Mike Miller, Rick Menefee, Rocky Menefee, Gene Ingram, and David Winston, plus a few others already mentioned.
Any of them would be a great place to start, and you might touch base with VinceM and see what he has in stock to save yourself the wait time.

Tim
Posted By: Cigar Re: Custom knives - 05/15/19
High End $$$ Half Faced Knives... https://www.halffaceblades.com/
Posted By: troutfly Re: Custom knives - 05/15/19
Charlie May makes a darn fine knife as do Tim Olt and Dale Howe on the "Fire.
Posted By: Lucas1 Re: Custom knives - 05/15/19
Thanks for all the advice. I will be looking into them.
Posted By: FishinHank Re: Custom knives - 05/15/19
I have a custom being made by Tim Olt, have high hopes for it and I am sure it will exceed my expectations! Should have it in a couple of weeks, can't wait to get it.
Posted By: BeanMan Re: Custom knives - 05/15/19
Hatfield Knives.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Custom knives - 05/15/19
Originally Posted by FishinHank
I have a custom being made by Tim Olt, have high hopes for it and I am sure it will exceed my expectations! Should have it in a couple of weeks, can't wait to get it.

Tim Olt, AKA Michiganroadkill.
Posted By: wytex Re: Custom knives - 05/15/19
Find yourself an experienced local knife maker.
My customs are made locally and that means more to me than a well known name, no disrespect to the makers mentioned above. I use mine on special hunts and the blade smith is happy I do. My every day carry and main hunting knife is a custom folder made by the same local knife maker.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Custom knives - 05/15/19
Originally Posted by Judman

Friends,

Blessings,

Steve

Jud, I talked with you about George. He was a mentor of mine. Top five knifemaker of all time. I’ve got several of George’s knives if you want to check em out. I make a good knife....my goal with every knife has been to try and make it as good as George would have.
Posted By: Steve Re: Custom knives - 05/15/19
Scott Cook Ohwyee Hunter. Don't think he's making them anymore.
Posted By: 257James Re: Custom knives - 05/15/19
David Winston and any of his protégés; Gene Ingram, and Charles May.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Custom knives - 05/15/19
Originally Posted by Steve
Scott Cook Ohwyee Hunter. Don't think he's making them anymore.

Nope. If you find one for sale be prepared to drop $2,500-$3,000
Posted By: Judman Re: Custom knives - 05/15/19
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Originally Posted by Judman

Friends,

Blessings,

Steve

Jud, I talked with you about George. He was a mentor of mine. Top five knifemaker of all time. I’ve got several of George’s knives if you want to check em out. I make a good knife....my goal with every knife has been to try and make it as good as George would have.

Oh gotcha hank, yes you've texted me pics of his work... very nice stuff.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Custom knives - 05/15/19

Kauffman knives are as good as they get. All handmade, heat treated and polished, not made from blanks bought from a knife fabricator. They work as good as they look. Hunting, Skinning and filet...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: elkjaeger Re: Custom knives - 05/15/19
I'll second shrapnel's endorsement. Been using Dave Kauffman's knives for over 20 yrs. Been in his shop and watched him do his magic. I've had Ingrams, Doziers, and others.
They don't come any better than Kauffman's.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Custom knives - 05/15/19
Brett Dowell and his daughter Taylor make some fine knives.
Posted By: michiganroadkill Re: Custom knives - 05/15/19
Ref: George Herron and Bob Loveless
Cool knives. Time tested patterns.
I just made one for myself along George's distinct lines.
And of course one following Bob Loveless' classic pattern also.
Tim
Posted By: VinceM Re: Custom knives - 05/15/19
Originally Posted by TimZ
Here on the fire you have Tim Olt (Michiganroadkill), Mike Miller, Rick Menefee, Rocky Menefee, Gene Ingram, and David Winston, plus a few others already mentioned.
Any of them would be a great place to start, and you might touch base with VinceM and see what he has in stock to save yourself the wait time.

Tim

Thank You Tim

I do not have a huge inventory. But what I do have ,is pre " screened" Great working grade knives ,various levels of finish & price, the makers I work with are personal friends of mine. I stand behind everything I sell as well as the maker does. I ship to you fast.
I have a theory of what I sell,and that is,I don't sell any knives that I myself wouldn't want to own and or use.Obviously ,I can't afford to keep them all and for that reason is what hurled me into doing my thing,lol. With exception occasionally of knives sent in on consignment ,friends and customers both who trust me to liquidate for them.

There are so many knife makers in the USA ,I try to stay with USA makers. Just because you've never heard a makers name ,that does not necessarily mean the knives are NG.
As mentioned in the thread previously there's makers here on the Fire too. All good. Most all will stand behind their work so don't be hesitant to try them out.
© 24hourcampfire