Home
And, what do you want to do with the time? We ain't gettin' any younger! laugh
I don't know the first question ! And I'm glad I don't!

In answer to the second! Spend lots of time with my wife, kids, and grand kids !
So far, I haven't been informed. Not aware of any guarantees.
Thinking about replacing my F150.
Have a young grandson that needs to catch a bunch of fish, so feel the need to help with that.
Got a moose hunt and a brook trout fishing trip, in addition to the "routine" stuff, scheduled before the end of this year.
One of my purposes in life has been to pass on some of my bad habits. Its a responsibility that I never feel has been completed.
Hunt a few more years, get a little more boom boom, drink a little more beer, take the wife dancing as much as I can.
I reckon about 20 more minutes before I either have to whizz in a coffee cup, or take my lazy ass down and over two train cars to the 'head'
Train? WTH are you now?
Originally Posted by slumlord
I reckon about 20 more minutes before I either have to whizz in a coffee cup, or take my lazy ass down and over two train cars to the 'head'
My vote is coffee cup. Coffee cup wouldn't hold all my urine though. Seriously. By the time I go, I usually do half or more of a 44 oz. receptacle.
Dunno? Finally got in to see a doc yesterday for referral to a cardiologist. (First doc visit in mebbe 12 years?)

BP still a little high, but med I got in ER seems be working.
I'm 70 and still going fairly strong. Dad lived to 92 and Mom's still going at 101. My older brother died at 65 of a stroke but he was a heavy drinker and considerably overweight. Likely it was related to that. So, I have some old age genes if that counts for anything. If you live a long time, the trick is stay active. I have a string of pack llamas and love to get out on the trail with them. I'm an assistant scout leader and we take the boys on llama high mountain pack trips at least once a year. We have a campout of some kind every month of the year. This last January we were snowshowing and camped in 4' of snow.
Dentist recently told me these are the teeth I'll die with. Don't know if that's good news or bad.

This is something I seem to think about more often than I used to.........but I don’t dwell on the thought for long!
If I see another tomorrow I am a winner.
I think I have 10 good years in me before I have to quit the physical things I'm doing and I have scaled back quite a bit from what I was doing just 10 years ago. Medically, no reason to make it to my 80's if I just lost some weight.
Bout 30 yrs .
Most of my family has kicked the bucket in their mid to late 80,s.

Living the dream till then or till a bus hits me.
Till either one.
Every day above ground is a good day.
Some on here wish the bus option would happen.

Hahaha!!!!
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Well, being in the later years I know I won't make 2080.. laugh But whatever's left, part of it's going to be on the motorcycle touring this great country of ours....
Be certain that you live until you die. Live like you're not gonna die. Staying true to those idioms and you'l be assured of a happy, long life
I'm a month shy of 61.

The way I'm figuring it, my family has a history of living for nearly forever as long as they steer shy of alcoholism. I'm a temperate sort, so my outlook is pretty good. Dad looked like he was 45 until he was 80. He succumbed to an undiagnosed heart problem a month shy of 85. The next spring, I found where he'd put down his spade shovel to go get ready for a visit to the doctors from which he never returned. I wouldn't mind digging ditches at 85.

I went for a colonoscopy a while back and the doc said I had a colon of a teenager. I told him I had the rest stashed in my trunk and would make him a deal.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Dunno? Finally got in to see a doc yesterday for referral to a cardiologist. (First doc visit in mebbe 12 years?)

BP still a little high, but med I got in ER seems be working.

Wc Fields said don't worry about your heart, it'll last you as long as you live.
Depends on how long the democrats let old people live in their new green world.
Alcohol is a big killer.

So are carbs.
Getting into the short go-rounds, but still competing...
Wake up

Look down

If I see grass, it's a good day

73 years plus a little so far!
Jerry
Experience and odds say that I can't have very much left - still trying to be resourceful and productive and to make good things happen every day. Time can be valuable - true friends always precious.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Dentist recently told me these are the teeth I'll die with. Don't know if that's good news or bad.

I have a tooth that needs pulling , if I live until August 8.

Damn shame I have to wait until August 8.

I guess business is good for the tooth pullers if they have that long of a wait.

Mike
My teeth are better than my liver I suspect. 😂
I have decided not to croak until I kill a wolf. The way things have gone thus far I may live a long time.

Unless those under 50 y/o decide to euthanize us boomersgrin

mike r
I want to live long enough to get back all my social security money I put in then get on the gov't tit.. Also want to live long enough to get all my money out of my annuities & then get on the insurance company's dime.
I hope to live long enough to get all my money out of teachers retirement.
I'm right at a month from being 59, my blood pressure - pulse - all that is perfect with no medicines and I came awful damn close June 15th...
Did some running around, went to dinner and was driving home with the wife, last thing I remember is turning off the highway into a cornfield. About 45 minutes later, I understood enough to hear them tell me they were doing a CT Scan. As soon as the CT scan was done, they dumped an IV bag full of the clot-buster drug into me faster than I have ever seen one empty. All I could do is lay on the gurney and open my eyes - couldn't talk, move... nothing.

Three days later I walked out of the hospital with no apparent damage or affects of having a stroke that everyone says should have left me a vegetable or killed me. Have some follows up, and until they are done, can't lift anything over 20 pounds, no archery, no guns, can't stay outside if it is over 80 degrees and 60% humidity (try that in Missouri). I'm going absolutely bat [bleep] crazy and climbing the walls but I'm alive and plan on staying that way for a long time to come!
I’m 34. I hope lots of time left. Got three ankle biters myself and a pile of nieces/nephews that don’t have decent father figures in their lives and so I’m fairly busy.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Alcohol is a big killer.

So are carbs.

I’ve really cut back a LOT on the alcohol.
I don’t drink unless I have some.
I just take it one day at a time. Whatever happens, happens.

As for alcohol, I hardly ever take a drink unless I'm by myself or with someone. grin

L.W.

I have today. At least up till now. Don't mean to pour cold water on the Fire but that's a question you'll never know unless you have the hammer back and your finger on the trigger. In the spring of 2017, 66 years old still climbing trees to hunt, walking mountains, running chainsaws, fixing anything that needed it, got to where I was always tired no matter how much sleep. Always having to stop to rest. Along in August when I couldn't keep going, couldn't eat, lost about 25 lbs, no answers, when I finally ended up in an ER trying to figure out a crazy high temp and some other stuff all the answers didn't come out, but kidney cancer did; renal cell carcinoma, right side. Fast forward to December and that's when the robot doc at Levine Cancer Center pulled the part of that kidney with the cancer and fortunately left most. Time to heal.

By late February was fairly well recovered, had a new chain saw and proceeded to "thin out" six cords of firewood from the back yard. Bout wore me out but felt good, till May. Then routine follow up with my urologist and he's right back at me saying a new test says I have an 80% chance of an aggressive form of prostate cancer. Fast forward again. Confirmed at Levine and removed Sept 2018. Turned out better than it was supposed to. Pee only where & when I want and never when I don't. LeRoy could be doing better but shows good signs of life, specially on drugs wink . Decided with two abdominal cancers back to back a routine colonoscopy might be a good idea. A month after prostate surgery, colon cancer was discovered. Partial colectomy in November almost 2 months to the day after prostate surgery. 13 days in the hospital because of an OR screw up, MRSA infection a prideful surgeon refused to diagnose and sent me home with, over two months of an open draining wound due to that and it healed only because I went to my primary care doc to get lab work and treatment. But it didn't heal correctly.

Just got released from the hospital on the 19th after another 5 day stay. Fairly extensive hernia repair from the deep umbilical hernia from the infection pit, along with the idiot surgeon incising dead on top of 30 day old primary incision from the Sept surgery. Now to recover, again. Bottom line I went from healthy and strong to having 3 separate cancers in my body at the same time, dealt with one by one, followed by proof there's idiots everywhere that come when you least expect it, all in a year and a half. Add the "mystery illness" from 2017 and so far I've stayed sick, hospitilized or recovering for over 2 years. And honestly after finding 3, realism sets in and you have to question the future.

But you know me, I can't complain. grins

So just a small point to make. Be careful calculating and having fun guessing about life when you never, never have the full answers to a serious question. Sometimes that light at the end of the tunnel is the front end of a train. LOL. Gotta go. Got some healing to do and life to start over. Maybe a year, maybe 50. Whatever time is left I intend to use for accomplishment, I do believe God can put that in front of us in ways we would not choose.

Well I'm 81. Most of my close kin passed in their mid to late 80s. Got two bad knees, High BP, diabetic so I wonder what my chances are from day to day? I do have a cow elk hunt booked for this coming December so I hope I make it at least that far and farther on as well. I'm not in any hurry to go. That hunt will probably be my last one. After that it's play with cast lead and fun at the range.
Paul B.
You know what they say, "Yesterday is history, today is a gift and tomorrow is a mystery".
Don't know, thankful each day when I get up.
Try to enjoy every day.
Are you living or just waiting to die/??
Originally Posted by Whelenman
I don't know the first question ! And I'm glad I don't!

In answer to the second! Spend lots of time with my wife, kids, and grand kids !

I'm crushed!

You forgot about me.....again.
now that we're speaking of such esoteric wanderings, a old cherokee witch once told me to visualize myself in a casket. the casket could be in any church, or funeral home anywhere.

now, see where i am now. and to then carefully project a trajectory from now to Then. pretty easy, huh? most of us know all about trajectories. well, i do.

anyways, see the target and define how best to get there was her message in terms of guidance, direction, and willingness to help.

what she was sayin' certainly made some degree of good sense.
About to open the door on 72 soon.

I figure that the way things are going I'll do ten years, one way or the other. It's been a great run. laugh

depends how often I drive I-15 through the SLC valley..............................
Originally Posted by shootem
Bottom line I went from healthy and strong to having 3 separate cancers in my body at the same time, dealt with one by one

I love to see Cancer getting its ass kicked!! Great job! You're one tough son of a bich, stay that way and never give up. The only ones ever defeated by cancer are the ones that give up, look it straight in the eye and say not today.

I conversed with Ivan (bigbuck215) quite a bit and even though he knew his cancer was terminal and it was going to get him he never gave up, I have the utmost respect for a man like that.

Keep kickin' it!
My doctor sent me half a calendar.

"Live like you were dyin" sounds like a lotta work.
Alcohol is a big killer.

So are carbs.

It was sugar and processed foods that damn near got me.

I have to admit, I do miss sugar a little.
Almost went under twice in the last year. Currently in remission from Leukemia. Was in the hospital 37 days because I got pneumonia during Chemo treatment. Working on hotrodding my '37 Olds. Bone marrow transplant expected end of July - beginning of August. Nothing comes to me but through The Father. Right now I feel like I did two years ago. Pretty good. Dad is 90 and Mom is 84. I'm 65. I wish you guys luck and good health. Every one of you.

Cardiologist said my heart will take me into my 90s. Not going to make any plans for that long just in case.
in general and on average, women outlive men by some 8 years.

said another way, men die on average at an 8 year earlier time than women.

why is that? does anyone know for sure? i sure don't know. but do know women are out there.
Originally Posted by Gus
in general and on average, women outlive men by some 8 years.

said another way, men die on average at an 8 year earlier time than women.

why is that? does anyone know for sure? i sure don't know. but do know women are out there.

Because after being married they want to die earlier!
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Alcohol is a big killer.

So are carbs.

It was sugar and processed foods that damn near got me.

I have to admit, I do miss sugar a little.

Bingo.
I’m hoping I’ve got five dogs left.
I am 54 and I figure I’ve got roughly 25 good years left. Most of the men in my family have lived into their mid to late 80’s. My dad is 87 but his last good year was 6 or 7 years ago. He has been in assisted living for the past year. His problem is that there’s nothing wrong with him that’s gonna kill him. So, he just keeps struggling along...

What to do with the time left?
Well, I keep working & saving my money...
Once retired: more travel, more shooting, more eating out. I don’t want to live where I am now once I retire. I am only here for the money. I would like to have a place where I can walk out my back door to a shooting bench on the patio. I used to have it all figured out, then I got a girlfriend ‘bout 10 years ago and she doesn’t think she wants to live in the country (she was raised on a farm).

I learned a lot about what not to do by watching my parents in retirement. I am not going to have a big house built with landscaping on all sides, on an acre lot in a subdivision and spend my final years tending to all that chit and falling behind a little more with each passing year. My parents held out 2 or 3 years longer than they should have. I cut the grass the last 3 years and my brother’s and I worked our asses off getting that place cleaned up and on the market to sell. I don’t have any kids to clean up my ‘dream home’ gone wrong. My retirement home is gonna have grass right up to the g@d d&#n concrete foundation walls!! Somewhere between age 75-80 I will divest myself of real estate.
If I'm vertical and breathing, everything else is gravy.
No telling, a minute to 20 years or more.
Glad I have no earthly idea when the end will rear its ugly head.
I'm 71 and my brother 5 ears older . . .
Planning and "Old Farts Lark" trip starting in ABQ and encompassing NM,AZ, UT, Co for sure.
Some fishing for sure and no other firm plan otherwise.

After that, it will be take life as it comes and hope for good health up to the end!

Lil shootin, huntin, fishin . . .
Day by day.......

20, 30 or 40 years.... or get hit by a bus next week... ya never know..

as my granddad always told us boys...
what goes around, comes around.... so ya better make it good...
Originally Posted by kingston
I’m hoping I’ve got five dogs left.

That's funny, I look at my dog and think how many more like her do I get.
Went for annual checkup yesterday at my heart doctor. Now, I've never had heart trouble, but there is a family history of it with both my father and grandfather dying of heart attacks. He is giving me a stress test today, so I'll know more about how much time I have left later......lol.

Seriously though, I don't really think about it, I just try and live like I always have. I had great memories of my grandparents and what all they did for me, and I'm trying to pass that on down to my grandkids. I'm 69, and I still think back about them all the time. I can only hope that I leave such an impression on my grandkids, that they will do the same.
I'm 57 and hoping for 20 more years. My goal is to have all my affairs in order so the kids don't have a freaking mess to deal with. Beyond that, if I can put some money away to make things better for them so be it. I've had my fun. When my day comes, I can't take it with me, and I'd like to be able to set them up for an easier life.
I have some pretty darned good genes, my parents lived well into their mid to late 90s, but my progeny are doing their darnedest to cut that shorter...
72 years old, had bad heart attack and a tripple bypass a little over 20 years ago.
Bad case of blood poisoning from copper dust about 17 years ago, which cost me a liver (liver transplant 13 years ago).
Now have a very bad blood clot in liver and 3 doctors have told me it’s the end of the line. In the mean time, I’ve had 2 hips replaced, a carotid artery flushed out and a pretty bad case of a sepsis infection. Well that’s all I remember now.
I’m hoping I get to see the 444 Marlin I’m having Turnbull Restorations work on now. It’s ok though, it’s for my grandson anyway.

How much time do I have ?

I don’t know, but I’m not buying any green bananas !!
I'm hoping I've got five wives left.
Originally Posted by htredneck
I'm right at a month from being 59, my blood pressure - pulse - all that is perfect with no medicines and I came awful damn close June 15th...
Did some running around, went to dinner and was driving home with the wife, last thing I remember is turning off the highway into a cornfield. About 45 minutes later, I understood enough to hear them tell me they were doing a CT Scan. As soon as the CT scan was done, they dumped an IV bag full of the clot-buster drug into me faster than I have ever seen one empty. All I could do is lay on the gurney and open my eyes - couldn't talk, move... nothing.

Three days later I walked out of the hospital with no apparent damage or affects of having a stroke that everyone says should have left me a vegetable or killed me. Have some follows up, and until they are done, can't lift anything over 20 pounds, no archery, no guns, can't stay outside if it is over 80 degrees and 60% humidity (try that in Missouri). I'm going absolutely bat [bleep] crazy and climbing the walls but I'm alive and plan on staying that way for a long time to come!

Glad you pulled through! Take care!!
Originally Posted by shootem

I have today. At least up till now. Don't mean to pour cold water on the Fire but that's a question you'll never know unless you have the hammer back and your finger on the trigger. In the spring of 2017, 66 years old still climbing trees to hunt, walking mountains, running chainsaws, fixing anything that needed it, got to where I was always tired no matter how much sleep. Always having to stop to rest. Along in August when I couldn't keep going, couldn't eat, lost about 25 lbs, no answers, when I finally ended up in an ER trying to figure out a crazy high temp and some other stuff all the answers didn't come out, but kidney cancer did; renal cell carcinoma, right side. Fast forward to December and that's when the robot doc at Levine Cancer Center pulled the part of that kidney with the cancer and fortunately left most. Time to heal.

By late February was fairly well recovered, had a new chain saw and proceeded to "thin out" six cords of firewood from the back yard. Bout wore me out but felt good, till May. Then routine follow up with my urologist and he's right back at me saying a new test says I have an 80% chance of an aggressive form of prostate cancer. Fast forward again. Confirmed at Levine and removed Sept 2018. Turned out better than it was supposed to. Pee only where & when I want and never when I don't. LeRoy could be doing better but shows good signs of life, specially on drugs wink . Decided with two abdominal cancers back to back a routine colonoscopy might be a good idea. A month after prostate surgery, colon cancer was discovered. Partial colectomy in November almost 2 months to the day after prostate surgery. 13 days in the hospital because of an OR screw up, MRSA infection a prideful surgeon refused to diagnose and sent me home with, over two months of an open draining wound due to that and it healed only because I went to my primary care doc to get lab work and treatment. But it didn't heal correctly.

Just got released from the hospital on the 19th after another 5 day stay. Fairly extensive hernia repair from the deep umbilical hernia from the infection pit, along with the idiot surgeon incising dead on top of 30 day old primary incision from the Sept surgery. Now to recover, again. Bottom line I went from healthy and strong to having 3 separate cancers in my body at the same time, dealt with one by one, followed by proof there's idiots everywhere that come when you least expect it, all in a year and a half. Add the "mystery illness" from 2017 and so far I've stayed sick, hospitilized or recovering for over 2 years. And honestly after finding 3, realism sets in and you have to question the future.

But you know me, I can't complain. grins

So just a small point to make. Be careful calculating and having fun guessing about life when you never, never have the full answers to a serious question. Sometimes that light at the end of the tunnel is the front end of a train. LOL. Gotta go. Got some healing to do and life to start over. Maybe a year, maybe 50. Whatever time is left I intend to use for accomplishment, I do believe God can put that in front of us in ways we would not choose.

That is a sobering and impressive post. Thanks for sharing it.
Originally Posted by BGunn
72 years old, had bad heart attack and a tripple bypass a little over 20 years ago.
Bad case of blood poisoning from copper dust about 17 years ago, which cost me a liver (liver transplant 13 years ago).
Now have a very bad blood clot in liver and 3 doctors have told me it’s the end of the line. In the mean time, I’ve had 2 hips replaced, a carotid artery flushed out and a pretty bad case of a sepsis infection. Well that’s all I remember now.
I’m hoping I get to see the 444 Marlin I’m having Turnbull Restorations work on now. It’s ok though, it’s for my grandson anyway.

I hope you continue to beat the odds, sir! Something tells me you will.

Don't know, depends on whether the limit is genetic or environmental. If I don't miss a sharp curve, meet a grizzly bear, or run into someone's jealous husband, the potential is to live to my mid 90s. I think I've already outlived my mom's genes. Family history of cancer. She didn't make it to 50. I'm fairly certain to outlive my dad's dad's side 'cause they die of heart attack or stroke before 60. I have 5 years to go, no blood pressure issues, and I handle stress better than they did. Not a certainty, but i think it is probable. That leave's dad's mom's side ... the hard drinkers made it to 85, those more moderate got to their early/mid 90s. Other than slightly elevated cholesterol, everything seems to be working correctly.

But there are those sharp corners in the roads ahead ...

So far as what to do with the time that's left? What I'm doing right now ... love the heck outa my girlfriend, be the best bad influence smile I can be on my daughter, niece, and nephew, hunt, fish, backpack. If it's not what I want to do later why the hell am I doing it now? No matter how much time you've got, any time you spend doing something other than what you love is time wasted. At some point, maybe 15 years farther down the road, I might retire, but I like my job. I think I'm where I need to be.

Tom
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by BGunn

I hope you continue to beat the odds, sir! Something tells me you will.

Thanks Ricky, I’m giving it hell of a try.
Like they say, gettin’ old can be tough some times.

Bill
I am 68.

I think I can make it to 88, so I have 20 years left.
71. Most family seems to go to mid 80s. I have to outlast wife as she is in poor health and needs me
And there will be some peace and quiet but a big void
65 in DEC, been retired 12.... really want to be retired twice as long as I worked, as an Air Traffic Controller, which was 23 years.... that would make me 99................

A bit optimistic I know... BUT Grandmother was 104, grandad was 98, dad still going at 91, mom at 87....................... it could happen....

Or I might keel over tomorrow.................. one really doesn't know!!!!
Nobody knows what tomorrow may bring or if they will see it.

Me, I'm on borrowed time and trying to get the most I can.

Dad passed at 57. His sister was 52. His brother was 51. His Dad was 51. I'm almost 63. My plan is 84.
I don't know. I was told at age 44 that I had a 20% chance to make it to 46.

Everything since then has been gravy, the way I see it. So I don't worry about such things.
I just get up every day and do what I want,....which is fairly easy.

Chainsaw,..chipper, tractor,..and when the mood strikes a Philly cheese steak down at one of the local restaurants.
When I retired at 58, the wife complained, "You've got 5 years left in you!"
I told her, "I'm not giving it to them."
My wife died of cancer in 2011. Ever since then I have done whatever I feel like doing.
I bought a new Harley Davidson motorcycle and I love it.
I sold our house in town and bought 40 acres and a big pole barn. No neighbors! No barking dogs!
I will shoot whatever I want, whenever I want.
I am going to start prairie dog hunting again.
I am 64 years old and realize that most single women like it that way. I was married for 25 years.
That might be plenty.
I have been having a lot of indigestion lately, which is something I take drugs for and have had for years. Because of a history of heart disease, with my father having dies of a heart attack at age 53, I've been getting annual checkups by a heart doctor. He did the stress test thing yesterday, and I passed with flying colors. He said there's no sign of blockage or anything wrong with my heart, and want's me to get the indigestion thing looked at again.

Don't know if it'll do any good again, as I've been told time and time not to eat certain foods, but I can't help it. Life's just too short as it is not to be able to enjoy eating.
When my wife was dying of cancer her doctor told us that if the cancer didn't kill her then the strokes or heartacks or something else would.
You will die of something.
Well, since we are getting into specifics, I will paraphrase T O M's remark: I have outlived my paternal genes.

All of the men on my father's side of the family, going back to my great-grandfather, died before the age of 50. Dad just missed--he passed away at age 49 about two months short of his 50th birthday.

My mother had four brothers, two of whom died young from surgical errors. The other two made it into their late 70s. Mom lived into her late 80s and her older sister died in her mid-90s.

My 50th birthday was somewhat of a mile stone. I was healthy, well within the guidelines for cardiovascular health, about 5' 10" and weighed around 155 lbs. I was running about 25-35 miles a week, but I was not making any particular effort to "eat healthy" or avoid food and drink. After that, I figured that if I could make it to 65, I would be ahead of the game.

When my 75th birthday rolled around, it dawned on me that I had lived half again as long as I had actually expected to do, for most of my life.

I turned 76 last February, I am down to 5' 9" these days and I weigh160 lbs--down from a little over 185 two years ago. My wife and I went ketogenic two years ago, and it has really been good for both of us.

I have become really curious to see just how long I can hang around--but if I die tomorrow, I figure that I will indeed leave ahead of the game.
Dad was one month short of 90 when he passed on- - - - - -Mom made it to 92. I was 50 when I had my first heart bypass, and another a year later. Now the cardiologist says I'm doing well 20-something years since then, so I'm hoping to make it another 20 years or so. 20 years, or 20 days doesn't matter- - - -I'm going to live every one to the fullest I'm able. Fun times spent on my Harley don't count, do they?
Jerry
I said I'll never see 30! . . . I said the same thing about 40, 50, 60, and 70.

Since then - I've been keeping my mouth shut!
© 24hourcampfire