Home
Posted By: ctsmith Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/04/19
If you're in the market for a new truck, nows the time to pull the trigger. Apparently Chevy is making a strong push to get their new truck on the road. 20% of retail on LT Crew Cab 4x4 in July. Its real. Bought one this week. LT's are flexible and can be spec down to work truck options or up to LTZ options. Not to mention the new truck is the best looking truck I've ever seen.
Posted By: BigNate Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/04/19
There's a reason they're being out sold by Dodge. They're selling them at a discount in an attempt to stay relevant.
I wouldn't pay 20% of retail for a new Chevy. Your mileage may vary.
I'll hold off. The price of Chevy's ain't low enough for me to buy one just yet... wink

I did buy a new tractor they were incentivizing at close to 30% off MSRP though.

I could not resist! grin
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I'll hold off. The price of Chevy's ain't low enough for me to buy one just... wink

I did buy a new tractor they were incentivizing at close to 30% off MSRP though.

I could not resist! grin

I'd much rather have a new tractor.
Recently it was time for me a new vehicle. I switch between pickups and suburbans. Previous three were two Duramax and one Tahoe.
Kinda wanted a new Tahoe. Then Government motors after taxpayer bailouts layed off a bunch of American workers and moved production over seas. So I bought a Ford. Hasbeen
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Recently it was time for me a new vehicle. I switch between pickups and suburbans. Previous three were two Duramax and one Tahoe.
Kinda wanted a new Tahoe. Then Government motors after taxpayer bailouts layed off a bunch of American workers and moved production over seas. So I bought a Ford. Hasbeen

Wise man.
Posted By: ctsmith Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/04/19
Haters gonna hate. We love them down here. Awesome deals to be had.

How you like it so far?
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Haters gonna hate. We love them down here.

My experiences with Dodges and Chevys have steered me to Fords and Toyotas.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/04/19
I love Chevy, but this one is the ugliest version yet. I predict that it will be a two or three year design like the infamous “cat eyes” version that only lasted from 2003 to 2006.
Originally Posted by gregintenn

Not hating here.

I've had all three. But I hope someone slaps me if I ever mention that I'm gonna buy another Dodge.

Not hating here.

I've had all three. But I hope someone slaps me if I ever mention that I'm gonna buy another Dodge.

I'm not against buying another Dodge or Chevy, but they'll be pre 1973-74 if I do.
Car and Driver must be haters. Dodge- 201, Ford- 199, Chevy a distant 181.
We've (heavy construction company) bought over 25 Chevy's; 1/2 ton (both the 5.3 and 6.2) and 3/4 tons (6.0 and Duramax) in the past 4 years, mostly 4x4's. We have an educated guess about what works for us. As another said, YMMV.
Originally Posted by JoeBob
I love Chevy, but this one is the ugliest version yet. I predict that it will be a two or three year design like the infamous “cat eyes” version that only lasted from 2003 to 2006.

You're bad wrong on that brother.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/04/19
I just looked at a local dealer that had Chevy's like I like advertised at 20% off all year. Same trucks today were marked down 26%.

20% off is about standard, shop around.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/04/19
Seeing this post I went to the Chevy web site and did a build a truck. 1 ton 4x4 gasser with modest options $63K..... wow I have priced a similar Dodge and found one for $35K. I like Chevy's but not that much

How you like it so far?

Barry, I’m really pleased so far. Just don’t put the miles on like I used to. Mileage is impressive. Haven’t used a pencil but the computer says a little over 20 in town. On cruise leveled out at a little over 70 it reads around 30.
My last Tahoe got 13 in town. So that’s an improvement. The 10 speed trans also makes the little diesel pretty quick. Hasbeen

You're bad wrong on that brother.

Yeah, right. Lol. Ugliest truck I have ever seen.
Originally Posted by gunzo
I just looked at a local dealer that had Chevy's like I like advertised at 20% off all year. Same trucks today were marked down 26%.

I'm a former CPA, run a decent sized business, and buy more trucks in one year than most in a lifetime. We even "mystery shop". I have a clue. Go in and try to buy one. There is a lot of false advertising on the dealer end. Don't believe what you see. Go in and try to buy it and you'll see. The best bet is to look at the manufacturer website for rebates. You aren't ever going to buy a truck for much less than dealer cost unless there's rebates, plain and simple.
How you like it so far?

Barry, I’m really pleased so far. Just don’t put the miles on like I used to. Mileage is impressive. Haven’t used a pencil but the computer says a little over 20 in town. On cruise leveled out at a little over 70 it reads around 30.
My last Tahoe got 13 in town. So that’s an improvement. The 10 speed trans also makes the little diesel pretty quick. Hasbeen

That's excellent mileage!

My brother bought one like yours, and he says it's got plenty of zip! I've not asked him about mileage in awhile. When it was new he said about 20.
Can't stand the new look of Chevys and my family bleeds Chevy Orange from way back.
The only way I could see me buying a Chevy is from 1972 back the other way. Especially a 72 Nova and a 67 short step side. Congrats on you being happy with your purchase. On that note you only need to make you happy and not worry about our opinions.

I'm a former CPA, run a decent sized business, and buy more trucks in one year than most in a lifetime. We even "mystery shop". I have a clue. Go in and try to buy one. There is a lot of false advertising on the dealer end. Don't believe what you see. Go in and try to buy it and you'll see. The best bet is to look at the manufacturer website for rebates. You aren't ever going to buy a truck for much less than dealer cost unless there's rebates, plain and simple.

You have a fleet number you are dealing with when shopping?

FWIW, large volume dealers can indeed sell way back of invoice, because with each step up the ladder with sales volume, the manufacturer adds more to their back end incentives... progressively.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/04/19

Never a good time to buy a Chevy.

Originally Posted by FatCity67
Can't stand the new look of Chevys and my family bleeds Chevy Orange from way back.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Oh well, that’s persuasive. Lol
Gotta love how people put their self worth into their possessions.

Everybody that drives a Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Toyota, Nissan is a moron.
And yet, do any of you fanboys want to defend your favorites line for the last 15
years.

Let's talk;
terrible diesels,
Rusted frames,
Fires,
Dangerous steering components...

But, we like to forget those issues, close to home anyway.

Shopping an older used transportation device now.
Look, review, look at the reported problems.
I'm finding models from everyone that are best avoided.
Right now, an earlier Toyota Highlander is looking good.
160k on the odometer. Wish I believed it would go 300k
as firmly as the fanboys.

I've owned one vehicle that was a real pain in the a$$.
Tranny rebuilt because of the linkage design, heads needed redone,
both before 100k. And I really liked the dang thing.
American, and one that has the most obnoxious fans.
I hesitate to buy one again, but, a different model probably won't

Yes we have a fleet number, but its not unusual for the manufacturer rebates to be more than the fleet rebates, especially on half tons.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Being a Moron isn't the worst thing a guy could be. I have a Dodge and love it. I just get tired of driving it with a paper bag over my head though...
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/04/19

FWIW, large volume dealers can indeed sell way back of invoice, because with each step up the ladder with sales volume, the manufacturer adds more to their back end incentives... progressively.

Agree .
Back twenty years ago a friend & his Dad both wanted new Suburbans , - shop in biloxi - you're getting screwed - small dealership small town . They flew to Houston bought two new Suburbans loaded- out saved over 18K compared to Dees chevrolet in biloxi . Volume dealers are the way to go , they could have saved more money in Dallas but didn't want to travel any further .
Chevrolet has the best looking trucks and cars IMO had quite a few of both over the years . Drive a Ford f-150 now - never cared for a chrysler product of any flavor .
Posted By: bugs4 Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/04/19
I haven't forgotten the 15 billion the US taxpayers were on the hook for over the GM bailout. I still have an 11 year old Suburban that will be the final GM vehicle that ever resides in my driveway.
There are better deals to be had at large volume dealers, but we're talking $1000, not "big" money. Dealing with a large volume non local dealer to save a few dollars is very very very short sighted. Where will you get warranty and service work performed? What happens if everybody follows this lead? I know you will go to the back of the line EVERY time you take your high volume dealer truck to your local dealership.
Originally Posted by bugs4
I haven't forgotten the 15 billion the US taxpayers were on the hook for over the GM bailout.

I'm with you on that, and agree its a tough pill to swallow.
This? Looks stupid to me. Where the hell is the rest of the bed? Whatever. LOL

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ChuckKY Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/04/19
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Being a Moron isn't the worst thing a guy could be. I have a Dodge and love it. I just get tired of driving it with a paper bag over my head though...

tired tired tired
Posted By: gunzo Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/04/19

Just trying to help. And for wtf ever its worth, I have swing a deal or 20 over the years.
Not a GM fan but always thought the styling has always been great. This new body style is terrible. From many angles it looks like a tundra. It’s a bad fart styling wise

[Linked Image]

I just bought a 2018 last year in December, $16.5K off of sticker. Been very satisfied so far. Computer says averaging 21.8 mpg with the 5.3 engine. Haven't put a pencil to it though, but don't doubt it. That side shot of the 2019 looks alot like the full size Toyota truck to me. Not a bad looking truck either one.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
[Linked Image]

Damn,
"Speed kills- - - - - -buy a Chevy and be safe!"
Jerry
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Jerry

The 6.2 10 speed begs to differ.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/04/19
There’s a dealership in Arkansas that is painting new Chevys with the old 70’s two tone schemes, really cool concept to me as 1970’s trucks are my favorites. I drove by a dealer the other day that had one of the new 1500s done up in two tone. Absolutely the most hideous pickup I’ve ever seen. GM has finally out uglied Dodge with this body style.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/04/19
Any truth to Ford's having lifetime engine and tranny warranties?
Originally Posted by Kenneth

That's not a Ford factory offering.

That's a dealer ploy trying to sell pickups.

Dodge and Chevy dealers do it too.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/04/19

So, only honored by the selling dealer, and no other dealer?
Posted By: TheKid Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/04/19
Dealer east of here does that on Fords and Dodges. “Free engines for life!”, the billboards proclaim. Fine print says that every oil, filter, fuse, and lightbulb has to be changed by them to keep from voiding your free engine warranty policy.

So, only honored by the selling dealer, and no other dealer?

They say anywhere.

The policy says they will pay another dealer for the repair if you can't get it to the purchasing dealer, and it's approved beforehand.
Posted By: Lucas1 Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/04/19
There's never a time to buy a chevy.
[Linked Image]

As a Ford man, I will admit they finally "fixed" the shape and geometry of the wheel wells, but the real reason I spurn ow the purchase of any GM vehicle was the Obama/UAW theft of GM when they should have gone bankrupt and reorganized. Ford did not participate in this government bailout scheme that turned over 51% of GM to the UAW.
Last one was a Chevy Trailblazer LT.

Went Toyota 4Runner this time.
Over 10,000 hours on my 04 Duramax....
Posted By: RJY66 Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/04/19
Chrysler did have a legit lifetime warranty that was honored at any dealership.....you had to pay for it up front when you bought a new vehicle I think. I was gonna link it for you guys but unfortunately they quit selling them. Must have been costing them too much money. Best they have now is 8 years and 125,000 miles.

https://www.chryslerwarrantys.com/
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/04/19

lol

Have you tried an antifa hankie?
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
This? Looks stupid to me. Where the hell is the rest of the bed? Whatever. LOL

[Linked Image]

+1

Agree Not a truck 4.5 ft box, it is more like a soccer mom mobile!
Posted By: hanco Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/04/19
Got 12,000 off on a new 2018 Dodge Bighorn 4x4 in February. It has been good so far.
What next a stepside?
Originally Posted by local_dirt

That’s awful bold talk for a man in a gas mask...
Posted By: 16bore Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/04/19
Originally Posted by ChuckKY

tired tired tired

So I reckon the guys driving Honda truckettes are studs. Cool.
Originally Posted by 16bore

tired tired tired

So I reckon the guys driving Honda truckettes are studs. Cool.

I don't think I've ever seen a man driving a Honda "Truck". A couple of women in town drive them.
Posted By: broomd Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/04/19

I wouldn't take one for 50% off of retail, and I mean that.

Chevrolet can GFT.
The biggest pile of crap I ever owned was a '92 Ford F350 diesel.
That thing was an absolute joke.
Among its other maladies, it had a death wobble at 60 mph that would nearly shake the teeth out of your head.

My Chevys have been fantastic.
I just traded in my '02 that had almost 300,000 of nearly maintenance free miles on it for a 2015 and absolutely love it.

[Linked Image]
227k....bought at repo auction for $2700. It has been problem free for a year, and has a real bed. No leaks, no rust, nothing.

[Linked Image]
We've got some Chevy 6.0 3/4 ton with nearly 500K, no engine work. The Duramax is a great engine, but unless you routinely pull 6k + the 6.0 gas burner is the way to go. Old faithful. With DEF and the cost to service and repair diesel's, they just don't pay off like they use too.
Give ya $2800 for it?
Give ya $2800 for it?

7K firm. This thing is perfect!!!
Give ya $2800 for it?

7K firm. This thing is perfect!!!

I'm out, too steep for me! LOL
A friend of mine and my cousin both recently purchased Dodge Ram Bighorns from Woodhouse here in NE and got smokin' deals.....$49k trucks for $32k!!!!
Posted By: aalf Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/04/19
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
the real reason I spurn on the purchase of any GM vehicle was the Obama/UAW theft of GM when they should have gone bankrupt and reorganized. Ford did not participate in this government bailout scheme that turned over 51% of GM to the UAW.

https://www.chevyhardcore.com/news/editorial-did-ford-take-bailout-money-too-yes-they-did/

https://www.factcheck.org/2011/09/ford-motor-co-does-u-turn-on-bailouts/
Originally Posted by Salmonella
The biggest pile of crap I ever owned was a '92 Ford F350 diesel.
That thing was an absolute joke.
Among its other maladies, it had a death wobble at 60 mph that would nearly shake the teeth out of your head.

My Chevys have been fantastic.
I just traded in my '02 that had almost 300,000 of nearly maintenance free miles on it for a 2015 and absolutely love it.[/IMG]

I had a '99 new body style GMC Sierra 5.3l that was a good pickup. I think that body style series was pretty reliable. It's about ten years old in this pic. Bought it new.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Pat85 Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/04/19

[Linked Image]

At first glance I thought it was a Toyota with a Ford bed.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/04/19
Originally Posted by broomd

I wouldn't take one for 50% off of retail, and I mean that.

Chevrolet can GFT.

How do you feel about Miracle Whip?
Originally Posted by Nebraska
A friend of mine and my cousin both recently purchased Dodge Ram Bighorns from Woodhouse here in NE and got smokin' deals.....$49k trucks for $32k!!!!

Thats a smoking deal. For whatever reason, Dodge has no traction down south. You see 10 chevy/fords to one Dodge.
Even more amazing in the recent 2019 Chevy purchase was that I got $26,500 trade in value for a 2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 with 100k miles. Strong Chevy market down here.
In a business plan submitted to Congress in December 2008, Ford touted its $14 billion plan for fuel-efficient cars as a key part of its effort to turn the company around — noting that a big piece of the funding was coming from the Dept of Energy. The company’s business plan also urged Congress to pass legislation to provide “incentives for consumers to trade in older vehicles and move to more fuel-efficient vehicles.” About six months later — on June 24, 2009 — President Obama signed the Consumer Assistance to Recycle and Save Act that became known as the cash-for-clunkers program. A Department of Transportation report (table 10) said more than 90,000 Fords were purchased under the cash-for-clunkers program — second only to Toyota — as of December 2009.
3 Chevy trucks with almost 300k on each......yeah I’ll be buying more Chevy trucks.

My 17 year old son asked me the other day why Dodge truck owners always drive live jerks. I explained that it has a lot to do with the fact that they drive a Dodge truck because they have extremely small genitalia, microscopic penises. That’s why 9 out of 10 stickers of a cartoon character pissing on a Chevy or Ford are found on the window of Dodge trucks.....that and Dodge’s are driven by kids that don’t know any better. 😁. It’s not a stereotype around here at least, Dodge truck drivers are ass holes and prove it daily. It must be because they have a hemi....hemiparalysis

Last weekend on the way to the football field I saw 2 brand new trucks broke down on the freeway and getting loaded onto flatbeds. 1 was a new Dodge and the other was a new Ford. On the way home I saw another new Dodge being loaded onto a flatbed so in one round trip I saw 3 brand new trucks that had broken down and none of them were a Chevy. 😉

As far as GM taking money during the bailout.......well that’s been discussed ad nauseum here. They all took money....ALL OF THEM!

I don’t hear the peanut gallery ever mention that without GM or Ford WWII might’ve turned out drastically different. Those car makers switched and retooled to manufacture whatever the government needed. The automakers served this country in a capacity that only they could and because of their contribution to the war we out produced our enemies. Something that the greatest generation didn’t forget. Leave it to the baby boomers to crap in their bed and then get pissed off when someone else cleans it up. 😂. I couldn’t give 2 fucqs what someone chooses to buy and drive, it’s their money and they only have to make themselves happy but justifying their choice as some kind of magnanimous patriotic gesture is laughable. The ones that always make me SMFH are the ultra patriots that were left with no choice but to buy a Toyota. Toyota makes great stuff but wrapping oneself in the flag as their excuse for buying a Jap truck is TFF.

HAPPY Independence Day!
Originally Posted by Pat85

At first glance I thought it was a Toyota with a Ford bed.

I like the bastard. grin grin
Posted By: dale06 Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/04/19
Got one, last January, probably over paid.
I really like it.
Posted By: RJY66 Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/04/19
227k....bought at repo auction for $2700. It has been problem free for a year, and has a real bed. No leaks, no rust, nothing.

[Linked Image]

That is my favorite kind of truck right there.........fully depreciated! laugh

I bought a 2001 Dodge earlier in the year for $2500. Its not nearly as nice looking as yours, it leaks, but it has about 87000 less miles on it. Runs fine. Flawlessly executes required truck duties such as hauling new junk to the house and old junk to the dump! When I get around to it, I'm gonna treat it to a tune up and timing cover gasket to stop the leak.
Amen to that!
Originally Posted by RJY66

[Linked Image]

That is my favorite kind of truck right there.........fully depreciated! laugh

I bought a 2001 Dodge earlier in the year for $2500. Its not nearly as nice looking as yours, it leaks, but it has about 87000 less miles on it. Runs fine. Flawlessly executes required truck duties such as hauling new junk to the house and old junk to the dump! When I get around to it, I'm gonna treat it to a tune up and timing cover gasket to stop the leak.

If they can afford to knock off 20% of the retail price, they were 20% overpriced in the first place.
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
If they can afford to knock off 20% of the retail price, they were 20% overpriced in the first place.

Unions.

Pensions.

finally someone gets it.
When I was 18, maybe 20ish dad took me to a Ford dealer. Made an offer on a 2wd Ranger. Salesman said, "no way, our bottom dollar is $xxxxx." We headed out the door. C o c k sucker runs out in the street, "we can do $xxxx" A full $1700 less than a minute before and ballpark what was offered. Something to the extent of lying C o c k sucker was uttered. Lesson learned. My dad's tight with his cash.
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook

finally someone gets it.

Not to mention that they are getting outsold by their competition.
I'll keep this one! A gift from my son.

[Linked Image]Untitled by Sharps Man, on [bleep]
Posted By: coobie Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/04/19

Unions.

Pensions.

Don"t forget CEO,s & VP,s pay plus there pensions,golden parachutes.

How about 23% off a Ford......
New 2019 Ford F-150 XLT 4WD SuperCab 6.5' Box
MSRP $42,185
Sale Price $32,447
Bought this 2014 three years ago for $15K, put 27,000 miles on it, and just sold it 2 weeks ago for $14K.......

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/04/19

. Cut holes in it so you can see, make the experience last longer!
Originally Posted by aalf
Bought this 2014 three years ago for $15K, put 27,000 miles on it, and just sold it 2 weeks ago for $14K.......

aalf, that truck cost you $28 per month. Around here a Chevy truck in the $15-19K range will sell in less than a week. Buy one in that range, keep it in the same condition as when you bought it, and you'll sell it for the same, regardless of miles.
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
the real reason I spurn on the purchase of any GM vehicle was the Obama/UAW theft of GM when they should have gone bankrupt and reorganized. Ford did not participate in this government bailout scheme that turned over 51% of GM to the UAW.

https://www.chevyhardcore.com/news/editorial-did-ford-take-bailout-money-too-yes-they-did/

https://www.factcheck.org/2011/09/ford-motor-co-does-u-turn-on-bailouts/

In a business plan submitted to Congress in December 2008, Ford touted its $14 billion plan for fuel-efficient cars as a key part of its effort to turn the company around — noting that a big piece of the funding was coming from the Dept of Energy. The company’s business plan also urged Congress to pass legislation to provide “incentives for consumers to trade in older vehicles and move to more fuel-efficient vehicles.” About six months later — on June 24, 2009 — President Obama signed the Consumer Assistance to Recycle and Save Act that became known as the cash-for-clunkers program. A Department of Transportation report (table 10) said more than 90,000 Fords were purchased under the cash-for-clunkers program — second only to Toyota — as of December 2009.

Good tries, they wont read it and think.

Fan boys. You are still going to hear "Gonernment motors".
It suits their narrative, and makes them feel superior in their choices.
Ford was all over the $$, and Ford would have almost certainly went
down if the other 2 did. The ripples would have sunk them.
They begged for the bailouts, to save themselves.
They were better off, because a year or two earlier their finances went to crap,
and they had restructured, and changed. But the sure weren't doing great.

We still need a new ride.
Will a fanboy step up and agree to pay any repair bill over $200 in the next 4 years
if I buy their favorite? Looking at 10+ year old <200k car. The ones you all say
Run forever.

Come on, true believers,
Posted By: Dre Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/04/19
I need 3/4 ton. Cummins is where it at for me

[Linked Image]

I have a 2016 just like yours, except it's white. I got it with all of the rebates for 17.7$ out the door.
Originally Posted by local_dirt

That’s awful bold talk for a man in a gas mask...

smile smile
I've always been a chevy guy and swore I'd never own a dodge. I had a nice 2016 z71 crew texas edition that I liked pretty well but I had the itch for a new truck. I went and drove the new chevys and just didn't like it. The door pillar hit right in my arm, it's too far forward. The center seat belt guide on the top of the bench hit my leg when folded down. Seemed like it was designed for a small person just like most cars with their stupid cockpit designs today.

My friend that sells rams had me take one while I was waiting for an oil change. I was really surprised and actually liked the new ram 1500. Their rebates got crazy last month so I bought a new Laramie. It was $58k sticker and I paid $39,600. They only gave me $29k for my chevy though and it was a nice truck. I'm a little nervous to be driving a ram but I'll see how it holds up. Still trying to get used to the huge 12" screen in the dash.

Bb
Posted By: Hubert Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/05/19
If I ever buy another ford or dodge I hope someone hits me in the head with a club.
If you're in the market for a new truck, nows the time to pull the trigger. Apparently Chevy is making a strong push to get their new truck on the road. 20% of retail on LT Crew Cab 4x4 in July. Its real. Bought one this week. LT's are flexible and can be spec down to work truck options or up to LTZ options. Not to mention the new truck is the best looking truck I've ever seen.

I've had 'em all over the years in our small company fleet. My '18 Chev LTZ Crew 4x4 is the best riding truck I've ever been in. It runs circles around the Tundra I got rid of at 75k miles, which was far from bulletproof. Just went up to see my folks today in Lubbock. 20.6mpg with cruise set on 73.
Posted By: ctsmith Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/05/19
Bb, believe it or not the new inboard ski/wakeboard boats have the large touch screen and have totally eliminated all switches. Everything is in the touch screen. Its very intuitive and easy to operate. I have grown to love it. How automobiles are behind boats in technology is amazing to me. I wish Chevy would get it. They're definitely behind the competition as far as this is concerned.
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I've had 'em all over the years in our small company fleet. My '18 Chev LTZ Crew 4x4 is the best riding truck I've ever been in. It runs circles around the Tundra I got rid of at 75k miles, which was far from bulletproof. Just went up to see my folks today in Lubbock. 20.6mpg with cruise set on 73.

Johnny, we play musical chairs with our fleet. My partner will most likely drive this '19, I'm just not a fan of the 2" lift on the trail boss and the more aggressive BFG's. Looks good and performs better off road but ride suffers. Sitting in my driveway right this very minute is your truck. '18 LTZ Crew 4x4 with soccer mom tires, Michelin LTX. Rides like a Cadillac, seriously. I'm getting soft.
Mine has the exact same tires and I love 'em. I've got 29k on this one, and at least half of that is oil lease roads or mule deer hunting! Seriously, we religiously follow routine maintenance plans, period. We've had great luck with our Ford F150's and Z71's in particular, better than average luck with the 6 Tundras we've had over the years, and if we could have kept the body from falling apart on the 3 Dodge PU's we may still buy one, but i doubt it. We've probably bought a total of 80 trucks over the last 20 years, and to date 3 of the F150's have gotten over 300k because my 84 yr old dad drives the ever lovin' crap out of them....a die hard Ford man. We've had 6-7 Z71's hit the 250k mark easily. The last Tundra I had, a 2014 Crew 4x4 had a cold start valve problem at 40k, and two entertainment/electronic/nav systems go out before I got rid of it at 75k. Keep in mind there are lots of oilfield miles here, not all pavement. This Chevy is superb, but our Ford's have been too. The Chevy's ride much better though IMO, and the eco boost gets the same mileage as these newer 5.3L Chevy's.
Posted By: ChuckKY Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/05/19

Unions.

Pensions.

I can't prove it, but I think Unions and Pensions have got something to do with this Global Warming thing too.
Posted By: Wesley2 Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/05/19
I’m not loyal to any particular manufacturer but the new Chevy trucks are hideous! Ugliest new trucks I’ve ever seen and it’s not even close.
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Jerry

The 6.2 10 speed begs to differ.

Sheesh, my 2011 5.3 4x4 Z71 at about 2000 rpms is doing about 80 mph on the hwy and gets great mileage.

You sound like my Dad. smile
Posted By: horse1 Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/05/19
I'm not against buying another Dodge or Chevy, but they'll be pre 1973-74 if I do.

Posted By: HawkI Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/05/19

Unions.

Pensions.

I can't prove it, but I think Unions and Pensions have got something to do with this Global Warming thing too.

Gotta retire to Mars where the air is clean and everyone votes UAW....anyone notice how awesome Detroit is?
Posted By: BGunn Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/05/19

I’m a Ford guy.....

[Linked Image]

But I’d gladly put the bag on my head if I could drive your GTO.
And to drive a “Judge” I’d go nekkid !!!
Still nervous about my 19 Ram. I kind of miss my 2016 chevy. I only put about 32k on it in the 3 years I had it but I don't think i had a single problem with it. It was a crew with the 6.5' bed. White z71 with black leather bench. Probably should have kept it for another few years.

It was just the 5.3 with the 6 speed but got good mileage and was powerful enough. Last summer going from Rexburg to Bear Lake loaded with the family and our stuff I averaged 24.6 mpg. Over half of that route is state highways that i was only going about 72 mph on. Kick it up over 80 and milage dropped to about 18 with the bfg 8 ply ko2s i had on it. My new ram is averaging about 16 so far but it's still new. It's an 8 speed with the 5.7 hemi.

I wish chevy would get a few 6'2" plus 300 pound guys working on their interiors. Softer seats without bolsters that hit you in the middle of each cheek would be nice. And why not make the floor in front of the drivers seat flat. Who thought a seat belt bracket digging into your thigh when the center seat back is folded down was a good idea?

I had dinner with a marketing director from GM a few years back and I told him to tell the lady that does their interiors to quit making tight little cockpits in all the cars. He said how did you know it was a woman? I said I just figured it had to be and I guessed she was about 5'4" tall. He said actually she's about 5'2" tall.

I told him to bring back bench front seat options in buicks and impalas and he just laughed and said no one really buys cars anymore anyways, it's all SUVs and crossovers. I said that's because no one can fit in the new cars.

I told him to make a new ball room edition car that doesn't have a 2 foot wide center console in the middle. He said I like that, roomy like a hotel ballroom. I said no, roomy like so you can drive with your legs spread apart so your balls have room.

Bb
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/05/19
Just buy a Ford pickup, and all will well with the soul.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/05/19
GM HAS to give serious rebates/discounts in order to get those pos out of the dealers' lots.. They can be free and I'd still pass........... JMHO...
I haven't forgotten the 15 billion the US taxpayers were on the hook for over the GM bailout.

Interesting that after that, they still build Chevy pickups in Mexico. Toyota, which didn't get a bailout, builds their trucks in the U.S. and it's a better truck.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/05/19
Originally Posted by doubletap

Interesting that after that, they still build Chevy pickups in Mexico. Toyota, which didn't get a bailout, builds their trucks in the U.S. and it's a better truck.

I have been driving Ford trucks since 1972, and have never really been tempted to buy anything else. If I ever do switch brands, it will be a Toyota. I don't care for Chevy's anymore, and I have owned one Dodge in my life, and that's enough for anybody.
My SIL just bought a new Silverado, drives like a car just beautfilly and will last 1/3 of what a Toyota will. Her husband who should know better has a Silverado with 150k on it and it is into the 2nd transmission.

What he said. Chevy took the bailout and stabbed the taxpayers in the back....Fugg 'em.
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk

What he said. Chevy took the bailout and stabbed the taxpayers in the back....Fugg 'em.

They still owe the US taxpayer 11 billion dollars, Even though thanks to the Halfrican's efforts it was allowed to go away . Funny how he freed up Iran's assets and returned them in a very suspicious way but did nothing about how he handled the entire GM takeover and made sure the taxpayer didn't get their money back. Toyota by the way builds the engine for the Tundra in Alabama and the truck is built in San Antonio Texas not phugging Mexico.
Originally Posted by HawkI

Unions.

Pensions.

Gotta retire to Mars where the air is clean and everyone votes UAW....anyone notice how awesome Detroit is?

Mars would probably turn into a Detroit after the " Big Three" moved out also. Might as well save your money and stay here.
Originally Posted by Redneck
GM HAS to give serious rebates/discounts in order to get those pos out of the dealers' lots.. They can be free and I'd still pass........... JMHO...

After owning one of Ford's epic Triton engines and having to buy a "Sleeve Extractor" to just change spark plugs so I didn't have to pull the heads off, I'll never own another Ford as long as I life.

After owning one of Ford's epic Triton engines and having to buy a "Sleeve Extractor" to just change spark plugs so I didn't have to pull the heads off, I'll never own another Ford as long as I life.

Aren't they the ones that blew out spark plugs? My best friend who was a diehard Ford owner now drives Toyotas.
Posted By: RJY66 Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/05/19
Originally Posted by Nebraska

Thats a smoking deal. For whatever reason, Dodge has no traction down south. You see 10 chevy/fords to one Dodge.

Must be a Bama thing. Over here the roads are crawling with Ram 1500s.....which I did not really notice until I got my dinosaur. One of the Dodge jokes is to never mess with a Dodge owner because he's already angry! laugh If that's true there is a lot of angry people on the roads around here.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Aren't they the ones that blew out spark plugs? My best friend who was a diehard Ford owner now drives Toyotas.

If you where lucky they blew out. If they didn't it was a major pain in the butt to get some of them out. Had a Ford Ranger with a four cylinder that had eight spark plugs . Took an act of congress to change the four under the intake side of engine. It's almost like the engineers forgot to log off their computers at night and the janitors played with the CAD program just for fun.
Posted By: aalf Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/05/19

Funny.......how about 23% off a Ford in the local paper.........
New 2019 Ford F-150 XLT 4WD SuperCab 6.5' Box
MSRP $42,185
Sale Price $32,447
Posted By: Calvin Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/05/19

[Linked Image]

That's an awesome looking truck to me. So, whats one like that pictured cost out the door? Thanks for the heads up btw.
Posted By: aalf Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/05/19
Here's your f'ing Ford in action......

https://www.gunsamerica.com/l/6842F...BD8/o8YZq/20190705_FridayDigest_233g.htm

[Linked Image]

That is a good looking 1/2 ton. I’d look hard if I didn’t already have a 2014 1500 Z71 paid for with only 50k on it.

I like Fords, love my 05 dodge 2500 5.9, but I’ve always liked Chevy 1/2 tons and Tahoes

Maybe I should factor politics more into my vehicle preferences, but I don’t. I will say the local Ford dealer is much better than the GM and dodge, that would sway me toward ford than anything..
Posted By: SKane Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/05/19

[Linked Image]

That's a good lookin' truck - I like what Chevy did with it.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/05/19

Well, f’ Ford then. It was a fricking pump shotgun. It wasn’t like the dealership was giving out AR-15 Baby Killers in full semi-auto.

Seriously though, if that doesn’t tell you that Ford doesn’t give a schit about you and your way of life, you’re not paying any attention.

I remember when banks would give you a new Weatherby for opening a saving account and all the schools used to raffle off rifles every year to raise money.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/05/19
Originally Posted by SKane

[Linked Image]

That's a good lookin' truck - I like what Chevy did with it.

Looks like they borrowed a bit from the Tundra.

I could be happy with any new truck currently on the market if it was a 4x4. And I like the short beds.
Gotta love how people put their self worth into their possessions.

And yet, do any of you fanboys want to defend your favorites line for the last 15
years.

Let's talk;
terrible diesels,
Rusted frames,
Fires,
Dangerous steering components...

But, we like to forget those issues, close to home anyway.

Shopping an older used transportation device now.
Look, review, look at the reported problems.
I'm finding models from everyone that are best avoided.
Right now, an earlier Toyota Highlander is looking good.
160k on the odometer. Wish I believed it would go 300k
as firmly as the fanboys.

I've owned one vehicle that was a real pain in the a$$.
Tranny rebuilt because of the linkage design, heads needed redone,
both before 100k. And I really liked the dang thing.
American, and one that has the most obnoxious fans.
I hesitate to buy one again, but, a different model probably won't

Brought to you by the people that bought you PearlHarbor !!!!!!!!
Side and front view is real nice. The back is a bit strange to me. Over all I like the new Chevrolet trucks.

A 3/4 ton custom trail boss with the 6.6/10 speed would be sweet. Not sure if they make it though?

Not surprised. Ford Motor Co is also one of the larges supporters for the gay and lesbo's there is. Nice work Ford.

They were 30%+ off sticker last summer and I still wouldn't buy one based on my experience with a couple of work trucks.

Friend of mine jumped on it though and he's happy. Got a hell of a good trade on his 2014 Silverado, so the used market must be strong.
Love these Ford vs Chevy arguments. Since I have owned multiples of all of them, except Dodge (got tired of figuring out where the bolts and screws laying in the floorboard went) if you buy a Tundra you may as well buy stock in a refinery.......to say overall fuel mileage is abysmal would be a compliment .

https://www.thedrive.com/news/28605/these-are-the-pickup-trucks-with-the-most-recalls-so-far-in-2019

Pickup truck buyers rely on their vehicles not only for transportation but also for work and play, and being stuck at a dealership having a recalled issue repaired takes time away from all three of those duties. As a result, owners suffer a major headache when an automaker announces that there's a problem with their truck which, more often than not, should've been avoided during production. However, recalls do happen and as this data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reveals, some pickups are more susceptible than their competitors.

Since we're only halfway through 2019, we'll take a look at last year's numbers first. These figures are available at NHTSA.org and you can search for your own vehicle's recall history, no matter the make, model, or year, so long as it's within the administration's record-keeping parameters.

2018 Ford F-150: 9 recalls, 264 complaints
2018 Ram 1500: 8 recalls, 49 complaints
2018 Toyota Tundra: 4 recalls, 37 complaints
2018 Nissan Titan: 1 recall, 8 complaints
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 1500: 0 recalls, 46 complaints

Now, though, we look at 2019 model year figures which include information for new-generation trucks such as the Chevy Silverado and Ram 1500. Keep in mind that these numbers are up to date as of June 19.

2019 Ram 1500: 10 recalls, 115 complaints
2019 Toyota Tundra: 4 recalls, 6 complaints
2019 Ford F-150: 2 recalls, 10 complaints
2019 Chevrolet Silverado: 1 recall, 19 complaints
2019 Nissan Titan: 0 recalls, 1 complaint

[Linked Image]

looks an awful lot like a Tundra to me.
Kinda. Tundra is a good looking truck, IMO.

Wish Toyota would update that drivetrain.
Originally Posted by Calvin

That's an awesome looking truck to me. So, whats one like that pictured cost out the door? Thanks for the heads up btw.

Calvin, it looks even better in person. I've had people come up to me in the parking lot and ask about it, take pictures of it. The local truck outifitter said its the best looking 1/2 ton he's every seen.

Its an LT with "Trail Boss" package which is a 2" suspension lift, 20" wheels, etc. The Trail Boss package is $2-3K. The LT can be specced down or up. I've seen the Trail Boss/LT retail for $45-$55. Most here are specced in the $50K range and in July the rebate is about 20%, so $40K + tax and whatever else the dealer piles on (which can be all over the place, with my dealer its $495 if I remember correctly).

As a side note, GM rebates change monthly and they don't give the dealers even a hint. I actually bought the truck last Friday, in June to take advantage of what I know now to be a lesser rebate of $8k, there were signs that GM was going to drop it all together and move it to another vehicle. Low and behold with July came another $2k. Hard pill to swallow, but thats the game these days. There was zero indication that rebate was going to be increased.
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Yep.....at least 5 yrs overdue.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/05/19
Originally Posted by Calvin

[Linked Image]

I like the looks... Thought it was a pimped out Tundra of some variation at first glance. Hopefully it will get better mpg than the Tundra though?
Yeah, they kinda got passed up.

Drove one about 8 or 9 years ago and damn near bought it. Went F250 instead. Both were used, Ford was just a better deal.

New trucks, a Tundra would have to be pretty heavily discounted to interest me.
Love these Ford vs Chevy arguments.

Same here. I drive a 2006 1500 extended cab Z-71. I think the odometer has about 207k on it, can't recall as it's only left the garage 2x since Memorial Day as I drive a company truck most of the time.

Have had both Ford and Chevrolet and have had good luck w both brands.

Only one that ever left me stuck on the side of the road was my 2015 F-350 with less than 70k, something about the mass Air flow sensor.

Dealer fixed that and the same day I picked it up after repairs the light came on and they claim it needs a set of Cats now. Hard to believe it was a sensor and 14 miles later it needs a set of Cats. Doesn't keep me from thinking about a Ford for my next truck though.

You get bad ones in every bunch. A bud had a 2007 GMC that gave him a couple small issues and he switched to Dodge.

He brags on em but hasn't put over 20k on one before he traded them off. Has had 7or 8 since 2010. I tell him once he puts 150k on one and has no issues I might listen to how good they are.
Originally Posted by country_20boy

[Linked Image]

looks an awful lot like a Tundra to me.

Looks more like a Ford F-150 to me.

Chevy’s trying to copy the model & brand that consistently outsells them. Every year for about the last 40 or so. 🤠
When is Fords new big cube gasser supposed to be released?

That’ll be interesting.
Love these Ford vs Chevy arguments. Since I have owned multiples of all of them, except Dodge (got tired of figuring out where the bolts and screws laying in the floorboard went) if you buy a Tundra you may as well buy stock in a refinery.......to say overall fuel mileage is abysmal would be a compliment .

https://www.thedrive.com/news/28605/these-are-the-pickup-trucks-with-the-most-recalls-so-far-in-2019

Pickup truck buyers rely on their vehicles not only for transportation but also for work and play, and being stuck at a dealership having a recalled issue repaired takes time away from all three of those duties. As a result, owners suffer a major headache when an automaker announces that there's a problem with their truck which, more often than not, should've been avoided during production. However, recalls do happen and as this data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reveals, some pickups are more susceptible than their competitors.

Since we're only halfway through 2019, we'll take a look at last year's numbers first. These figures are available at NHTSA.org and you can search for your own vehicle's recall history, no matter the make, model, or year, so long as it's within the administration's record-keeping parameters.

Now, though, we look at 2019 model year figures which include information for new-generation trucks such as the Chevy Silverado and Ram 1500. Keep in mind that these numbers are up to date as of June 19.

Great info.

I don't mind the Toyota. Dad has a 15 or a 16. Powerful SOB with a 4:30 gear. Gets 17-18 on the highway, not any worse than my buds Hemis and dads Toyota pulls a bit better with those lower gears.

I figure I don't drive a truck to worry about fuel mileage it comes as a bonus w my GM though. Even with 207k on the odometer my 1500 4wd knocks on 20 mpg. Not bad but has those high ass 3:42 gears, hardly fit for a truck.

Had 3:73 in an 03 Z-71 and it got about the same as my 06 that has the higher gears.

Looking at a swap to 4:10 or maybe even a 4:30 if I go through the truck and stick a tire on larger than 33".

That’ll be interesting.

I think 2020. Hoping to be ready for a new work truck by then.
Chevy the .270 on wheels.......
Rear end ain’t the total picture with regard to overall gear ratio.
Rear end ain’t the total picture with regard to overall gear ratio.

Never said it was. Tranny and tire size come in to play as well.
My 2014 Tundra 4x4 Crew would get 17 on flat ground, no headwind at 70mph. Push it to 75 and it would get 15mpg, standard tire size. Into a headwind and I could expect less. It also had the usual Ford rattles and squeaks going down a caliche road. Couple that with the premium price, cold start going out at 40k, 2 infotainment/nav/electronics going out twice before 75k, and out of warranty of course and I was very disappointed in that truck. The two original Tundra 4x4's we had (early mid size models) were far superior in every way.
Never owned a chevy in my life.
Dont care really about new trucks of any brand.
Actually pretty happy with this chevy to tell the truth.
2004 3.5L I5 5spd man 4wd.
Getting right around 21 mpg.
Already been out stump jumping at slumlords place manuevering it's way thru the oaks and hollows out shooting his AR and my AK.
It will get me where I wanta go this fall in Stewart county to recover a deer if needed.

Fords and Chevy,s
Blonde and Brunettes
Winchesters and Remingtons

Friends dont let friends do Remingtons laugh
[Linked Image]

195k on my 2000 F250. 3 plug changes. All original threads in the heads. Maybe $3000 out of pocket in non wear repair bills.

Its an LT with "Trail Boss" package which is a 2" suspension lift, 20" wheels, etc. The Trail Boss package is $2-3K. The LT can be specced down or up. I've seen the Trail Boss/LT retail for $45-$55. Most here are specced in the $50K range and in July the rebate is about 20%, so $40K + tax and whatever else the dealer piles on (which can be all over the place, with my dealer its $495 if I remember correctly).

Too bad about the 20” wheels. I need a little more sidewall on a tire to be able to air down. 17” is as big as of ever want to go on a wheel.

What is the color code on that truck? I do like it
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

That’ll be interesting.

I'm hearing available to order in August with deliveries starting mid November.
Originally Posted by smarquez

Maybe $3000 out of pocket in non wear repair bills.

Ouch.
Originally Posted by huntsonora

Too bad about the 20” wheels. I need a little more sidewall on a tire to be able to air down. 17” is as big as of ever want to go on a wheel.

Good luck. So many are coming out with bigger wheels all the time.

My 2015 F-350 company truck has 18" wheels and I wouldn't doubt what the newer ones are bigger, dunno for sure on that though.
Posted By: Jahrs Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/05/19

Originally Posted by renegade50
Already been out stump jumping at slumlords place manuevering it's way thru the oaks and hollows out shooting his AR and my AK.
It will get me where I wanta go this fall in Stewart county to recover a deer if needed.

Fords and Chevy,s
Blonde and Brunettes

[Linked Image]

Now that is one ugly truck.
Originally Posted by Jahrs

Fords and Chevy,s
Blonde and Brunettes

[Linked Image]

Dont need approval.
Espeically from bible thumpers.
Obviously I'm in your head, cause my post brought you out.
Satisfied the "gotcha" craving you have from me being on your religous thread a week or so ago???
Have a nice day Jahrs, go clean one of your Remingtons.

laugh laugh laugh

Good luck. So many are coming out with bigger wheels all the time.

My 2015 F-350 company truck has 18" wheels and I wouldn't doubt what the newer ones are bigger, dunno for sure on that though.

Funny you should mention that. When I bought my 2018 Chevy I parked it next to my 2001 Chevy. 2001 had 16" tires, 2018 had 18" tires. The actual measurement outside to outside of both sets of tires was within an 1/8" of each other. Skinnier tiers on the 18" wheels, fatter tires on the 16" wheels. Not sure I understand modern logic when it comes to the narrower side profile used today.
Sorry, I could not resist.

[Linked Image]
Is that the new Ridgeline?
The two original Tundra 4x4's we had (early mid size models) were far superior in every way.

We've got a 2003 Tundra (early mid sized) with the 4.7 liter V8 with over 500k that we now use as a farm/yard truck. I don't recall ever having put any significant money in it. MPG is terrible for its size but the 4.7 litter is a peppy engine in the smaller truck and its fun to drive. Solid truck.
Sorry, I could not resist.

[Linked Image]

That looks "Uber"

18" wheels are standard for LT but I'm pretty sure that only 20" is available with the Trail Boss package.

Color is Satin Steel Metallic. Its GM's best color they've come out with in a long time, if not ever (in my opinion).
Posted By: BigNate Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/05/19
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I've always been a chevy guy and swore I'd never own a dodge. I had a nice 2016 z71 crew texas edition that I liked pretty well but I had the itch for a new truck. I went and drove the new chevys and just didn't like it. The door pillar hit right in my arm, it's too far forward. The center seat belt guide on the top of the bench hit my leg when folded down. Seemed like it was designed for a small person just like most cars with their stupid cockpit designs today.

My friend that sells rams had me take one while I was waiting for an oil change. I was really surprised and actually liked the new ram 1500. Their rebates got crazy last month so I bought a new Laramie. It was $58k sticker and I paid $39,600. They only gave me $29k for my chevy though and it was a nice truck. I'm a little nervous to be driving a ram but I'll see how it holds up. Still trying to get used to the huge 12" screen in the dash.

Bb

We just got the Rebel last month. I've had them all, and buy based on how they're doing at the time I need a truck. The Chevy's we tried went back for transmission problems. I got a 7.3l F350 17 years ago and haven't done a thing to it. When the wife wanted to trade in her Jeep she just wasn't liking anything. She brought home the Rebel. So far it's really nice, comfortable seats/cab, plenty of pep. [Linked Image]

This is shocking I tell you.

https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news...n-autoguide-s-1st-annual-lemon-list.html

GM supporters do know that the Halfrican took over GM and used TAXPAYERS dollars to refill the pension funds of the UAW workers. He then turned over the company to the UNION . When they redid the Company the initial stock sale was 11 billion short. Let me repeat US taxpayers funded the pension funds of UAW workers. UAW has a lot of stock riding on GM.

TCGFT
Thanks to Obama and his UAW buddies I wouldn't even think about getting a Chevy truck. I feel bad for some good folks I know that are UAW but apparently, based on the Union and government B.S., they don't want my business. The UAW ain't what it once was.

I'm not arguing for one or another, I don't keep up enough with this or that to be knowledgeable.

I will note that if someone is going to look at recall's, it would be worthwhile to look at the reason for that recall...is is serious mechanical or a minor thing....how many complaints were needed before the recall....etc. Could be a lot of "recalls" that are very minor or it could be something really big. Number sold compared to number of complaints would be something to consider as well.
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I'm not arguing for one or another, I don't keep up enough with this or that to be knowledgeable.

I will note that if someone is going to look at recall's, it would be worthwhile to look at the reason for that recall...is is serious mechanical or a minor thing....how many complaints were needed before the recall....etc. Could be a lot of "recalls" that are very minor or it could be something really big. Number sold compared to number of complaints would be something to consider as well.

Ford and GM both put out some stinkers, but both generally make good pickups. I don't really care for how Ford in particular complicates maintenance and servicing of their vehicles although all makers are trending similarly in that regard. Specifically, the need for special tools or heroic disassembly required for some servicing, some of which DIY creative ingenuity is able to overcome. I get the sense that maybe Dodge is starting to up their game, but have no direct experience with them. The general impression I get from Dodge detractors in the past is, they make good engines, but the rest of what makes a good truck is lacking.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/05/19
Haters gonna hate. We love them down here. Awesome deals to be had.

I hear they are much better than the ones I bought in the 80s.. those were total junk vehicles. My fords have outlived any of my chevy vehicles by 2-4 times the life span.

Yep. So many bro-dozers out here with what amounts to low-profile "mud tires". It's pretty amusing.
Posted By: Jahrs Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/05/19

Fords and Chevy,s
Blonde and Brunettes

[Linked Image]

Dont need approval.
Satisfied the "gotcha" craving you have from me being on your religous thread a week or so ago???

laugh laugh laugh

Wrong... it’s just a butt ugly truck. I call em as I see em.
Biblethumper? :-) 👍

Fords and Chevy,s
Blonde and Brunettes

[Linked Image]

Dont need approval.

laugh laugh laugh

Wrong... it’s just a butt ugly truck. I call em as I see em.
Biblethumper? :-) 👍

Rent free laugh
Just like I said.
Tff!!!
Get the last word in after this please so you can feel like you have won something important in the land of 1,s and 0,s.....
Might make ya feel smug like when your playing online preacher
and trying to enlighten others, seeing who can out quote who in an effort to 1 up each other, or preaching the "word" to others for them to either turn or burn.

Yep I pretty much think that sums up online bible thumpers........

You clean that Remington yet????
laugh laugh laugh
I wish toyota would redo the tundra one of these decades. It's been pretty much the same since 2007. A stiffer frame and a more efficient power train would go a long ways towards getting my attention. Maybe upgrade the cheap plastic interior too.

I like the interior of my new ram. Its light years ahead of the new chevys. In still in shock that I bought a 2019 ram. I hope it holds up. Geico has a mechanical warranty you can add to your insurance. I added it on the ram and will probably get another extended warranty if I keep this one more than 2 years. Mine is silver with black leather and the 6'4" bed.

Bb

That’ll be interesting.

Yes, that is what the Ford dealer was telling me Wednesday.

He said they hadn't gotten any actual 'info' on it yet though.

I want to get the big block in a reg cab long box with single rear wheels and put a bale bed on it. Mud and snow machine. Use it like a giant sxs.

Sweet ride CT!
(coming from a Ford guy....)
Posted By: Hudge Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/06/19

Don't worry, they are coming in 2021 I believe so expect to see them next summer at dealerships. Also, from what I've read, Toyota will no longer put v8 engines in the Tundra. They are going to a dual turbo V6.
Posted By: Hudge Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/06/19

I like the Trail Boss, but for the 2020 year model, Chevrolet is putting the 6.2L V8 paired with the 10 speed transmission in it. That 10 speed is a joint project between GM and Ford, so it's the same 10 speed transmission Ford has.
Posted By: ctsmith Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/06/19
Originally Posted by Hudge

I like the Trail Boss, but for the 2020 year model, Chevrolet is putting the 6.2L V8 paired with the 10 speed transmission in it. That 10 speed is a joint project between GM and Ford, so it's the same 10 speed transmission Ford has.

That's right, and the 6.2 with the 10 speed is amazing. A buddy has the '19 LTZ with the combo and I've driven it. Made it hard to get a 5.3.
Should of made it available in trim packages below LTZ.

Yes they should have, and it will be in 2020.

Here's my buddy's. He went with the LTZ to get the 6.2 and added the 2" lift (same as trailboss) as a factory option, so basically its a LTZ Trailboss. He also wrapped the bottom in a darker gray for the old school two tone effect. Y'all cut him some slack on the 22's, he's a city boy, but still a good guy. grin

[Linked Image]
I just cant like the LTZ. Way too shiny. Gaudy, even.

I miss sliding rear windows too.
Posted By: skeen Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/06/19
I'm a Ford guy, but that's a good lookin' truck.

Here's my buddy's. He went with the LTZ to get the 6.2 and added the 2" lift (same as trailboss) as a factory option, so basically its a LTZ Trailboss. He also wrapped the bottom in a darker gray for the old school two tone effect. Y'all cut him some slack on the 22's, he's a city boy, but still a good guy. grin

[Linked Image]

My wife’s ran 1500 came with 20’s, we put 17” on it with more sidewall. Those low profile ride like crap on rough roads. She’s running 33” on 17’s and I run 35”s on 18” which seems like a good combo. I don’t understand low profile tires on a truck.

As a joke, we put a sticker on his window "I'd Rather Be Homeless Than Chromeless"

There is a sliding rear window, just can't see it in the pic.
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman

My wife’s ran 1500 came with 20’s, we put 17” on it with more sidewall. Those low profile ride like crap on rough roads. She’s running 33” on 17’s and I run 35”s on 18” which seems like a good combo. I don’t understand low profile tires on a truck.

My last truck had 18's and I feel a noticeable decline in ride smoothness with 20's. 22's have got to be terrible, its a city thing.

As a joke, we put a sticker on his window "I'd Rather Be Homeless Than Chromeless"

They returned the favor.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: horse1 Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/06/19

[Linked Image]

Good looking rig. My biggest hangup w/Chevy is our local dealer's service dept. is horrible. Over the years I've had 2 Chevy fleet vehicles and working with the service dept. was WORK.

The service dept. @ the Ford dealer in town has been great to me. I've got my service writer trained that I only want to pay labor once.

Last 2 trucks were F-250's and I liked that their cab was 6" wider than GM or Ram/Dodge so I didn't even drive the others. The new Aluminum Super-Dutys are back to the same width as GM/Ram and all the half-ton trucks. When it's time to buy a different truck I'll have to drive them all again I guess.
The exterior of the new Dodges are pretty sharp. I like the maroon color.
Posted By: JTman Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/06/19

[Linked Image]

That's a nice truck!!

Question though... I built one on Chevy's site yesterday and the price in the corner was around 45k (LT with the Allstar and Leather package with 18" wheels), is that the price with the rebates they are offering or are the rebates after that price? I couldn't find any reference to or answers on that site.

I have a 17' just like the one I spec'd out (in the irridescent (sp?) pearl tricoat) with 37k on it so I don't know that I'd trade right now but if the right deal came along I just might. I really like the dark grey and the silver 19' models.
Some of these newer Chevys pictured look more like Fords.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/06/19

Only read the first post - I can only imagine the vitriol and hate that has been posted since.

Here's my latest insanity. A 2019 GMC Canyon Denali with the 2.8-liter Duramax engine.

The Baby-D really ROCKS

Lovin' it totally.

Blessings,

Steve

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: KenMi Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/06/19
Hell no.

Potsch can take his real actors not people and get lost
Lol

Truck manufacturers have done the same to us w trucks as they did for tennis shoes.

Couldn’t believe when my oldest boy was playing ball that some tennis shoes went from $130-200

So yah I was smiling when I walked out of the store with a $65 pair, that had $2 worth of materials assembled by folks makin $.10 per hour 🤦🏼‍♂️

Now we do the same w trucks!

As long as we don’t pay the 70 K sticker price, we think we got a deal 🤦🏼‍♂️😂
Posted By: KenMi Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/06/19
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/06/19
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Lol

Truck manufacturers have done the same to us w trucks as they did for tennis shoes.

Couldn’t believe when my oldest boy was playing ball that some tennis shoes went from $130-200

So yah I was smiling when I walked out of the store with a $65 pair, that had $2 worth of materials assembled by folks makin $.10 per hour 🤦🏼‍♂️

"Look, the emperor has no clothes!" Why can't more people see that? (Or why don't they care?)
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Lol

"Look, the emperor has no clothes!" Why can't more people see that? (Or why don't they care?)

Buy a Schwinn and start peddlin'...............see how far you get without passing out.
Posted By: RJY66 Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/06/19
Like I was saying, I bought a 2001 Dodge work truck from my neighbor at the first of the year. It reminds me of the trucks of my youth used by working people before all the soccer moms , city boys, and practically everyone else started driving them. This bad boy has ZERO creature comforts except AC and a radio, manual windows, vinyl and plastic interior, rubber floor, base v6 engine, single cab. Even with new shocks, it rides like a farm implement....actually I think my tractor rides better! In other words its an honest to goodness, actual TRUCK! laugh

Anyway when I got it I found the sticker in the glove box. The price was $17,000 something in 2001. Out of curiosity, I got on cargurus.com and looked for the new equivalent to see what it would cost. Equivalent new trucks to beater (my truck's new name) list for somewhere in the neighborhood of 30K. That is less than double the price which is not bad considering almost everything costs at least twice as much as it did 20 years ago. However, the reality is that the dealer's are offering them anywhere from 20 to 25K. You have to keep in mind how much more powerful and efficient new trucks are than beater as well. In all likelihood, the original owner of beater did not pay full sticker for it......but the numbers show that there has not really been excessive inflation in the price of TRUCKS.

Bentleys with beds......now that's a whole 'nother story. They have taken the place of big Cadillac and Lincoln automobiles of yesteryear......and are priced accordingly. I suspect that a Cadillac vehicle in 2001 would have cost at least 30 grand on the sticker, probably 35. So the rate of inflation is similar to actual trucks......presto, there is you 60K king ranch or high country.

From a preferred obama dealership with taxpayers funded vehicle, I'll pass
Posted By: ChuckKY Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/06/19
Lol

Dealer was never able to convince a new vehicle was worth what they where asking, but they did convince me if I wanted one I was going to have to pay for it.
JT, the price you see is retail. Deduct rebate from it.
20% of retail sounds great. You could turn it around for 50-60% off retail and still make a profit.
The last 2 trucks I had were F150's. Couldn't get a decent deal right around New years on a Ford so I went to the Chevy/ GMC dealership. Got 16K off a New 2018 GMC Sierra with an MSRP of 48000. Decent truck with great mileage but I think the Fords gave a better ride and had a more refined interior. I like the look of the new Rams but doubt mileage would be anything close to the GMC.
Lol

Buy a Schwinn and start peddlin'...............see how far you get without passing out.

Not in Birdy class mind you. But I could pedal a good ways.

Hell to pay when hauling more than 6 sheets of full size half inch OSB though 🤔😫
Originally Posted by champlain_islander
The last 2 trucks I had were F150's. Couldn't get a decent deal right around New years on a Ford so I went to the Chevy/ GMC dealership. Got 16K off a New 2018 GMC Sierra with an MSRP of 48000. Decent truck with great mileage but I think the Fords gave a better ride and had a more refined interior. I like the look of the new Rams but doubt mileage would be anything close to the GMC.

Sticker on my '18 Silverado 4x4 LT was 56k. I got it for 34k out the door last December with 5.3 and 8 speed. Mine also has the Eassist mild hybrid which I was highly skeptical of but I can get about 25mpg on the interstate so I'm liking it so far. I drive an '18 F-150 work truck with the 5.0 L 10 speed. Other than vinyl interior, it's pretty much loaded. To be honest I don't like it much at all. The 10 speed is clunky and it rides too stiff. After a couple hours my back is hurting, however I can make the 5 hour ride east to hunt and fish in the Chevy without issue.

I was actually looking at used but the rebates on the Chevys was too good to pass up. Used 4x4 trucks are apparently made of gold. Anything under 50k miles and decently equipped was near or above 30k.

The '19s are gonna have to grow on me. Not a fan of the front fenders and rear tailgate. The GMs do look better though. I'm set for a good while though.
Originally Posted by champlain_islander

My wife’s ram 1500 4x4, 5.7 8speed runs 16 mpg/ mixed and 21 hwy at 75mph. I don’t know what the gm trucks are getting. The Ram has the best ride, I think Ford has the best interior. I like ford trucks, they just seem to have engine issues more than the other two. The Duramax is good engine, I just hate ifs on a 3/4 or 1 ton. Driving ifs loaded is like banging a fat chick on a under filled waterbed.
Leftover '18s had crazy rebates with the new body style hitting the floor.
Have had a few Chevy's and a couple of Fords. Last three have been with the Duramax Diesels. All have been good. I guess if I could have exactly what I wanted it would be a Ford body, with a Cummings diesel and a Allison transmission. They don't make that so, A Chevy HD works for me.
Lol

He’s right. High end and luxury items, which most trucks are, have gone through the roof.

Money has been cheap for the last decade. Stupid cheap. They talk about raising rates and folks howl. It ain’t gonna turn out well in the long run.

There is a sliding rear window, just can't see it in the pic.

Lol! Love it.

Is it an actual slider? Seems most new trucks have more of a “portal”?

Mahindra or somebody should start cranking out some simple old trucks with sliders, corner windows , and full vinyl interiors with a decent modern drive train.
Posted By: BigNate Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/13/19
Originally Posted by smithrjd
I guess if I could have exactly what I wanted it would be a Ford body, with a Cummings diesel and a Allison transmission.

Right there with ya!
Mine has the exact same tires and I love 'em. I've got 29k on this one, and at least half of that is oil lease roads or mule deer hunting! Seriously, we religiously follow routine maintenance plans, period. We've had great luck with our Ford F150's and Z71's in particular, better than average luck with the 6 Tundras we've had over the years, and if we could have kept the body from falling apart on the 3 Dodge PU's we may still buy one, but i doubt it. We've probably bought a total of 80 trucks over the last 20 years, and to date 3 of the F150's have gotten over 300k because my 84 yr old dad drives the ever lovin' crap out of them....a die hard Ford man. We've had 6-7 Z71's hit the 250k mark easily. The last Tundra I had, a 2014 Crew 4x4 had a cold start valve problem at 40k, and two entertainment/electronic/nav systems go out before I got rid of it at 75k. Keep in mind there are lots of oilfield miles here, not all pavement. This Chevy is superb, but our Ford's have been too. The Chevy's ride much better though IMO, and the eco boost gets the same mileage as these newer 5.3L Chevy's.

Youre talking the 3.5 eco boost, Johnny?

Fords and Chevy,s
Blonde and Brunettes

[Linked Image]

What is it?

Just kidding, Rene. wink
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/13/19
Originally Posted by irfubar
Seeing this post I went to the Chevy web site and did a build a truck. 1 ton 4x4 gasser with modest options $63K..... wow I have priced a similar Dodge and found one for $35K. I like Chevy's but not that much

I like Chevy's better than a Dodge as well, but like many people their price is ridiculous.
Yes sir,, Doc.
Posted By: ERK Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/13/19
Just priced both Chevy and dodge. Not similar but same options the dodge is higher priced. A few differences in options can easily be 10000 dollars. Edk
Typical Ferd, Derdge, and Chebby thread. Maybe that is why they make more than one brand, yu think?
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/13/19
The new GM/Chevy styling leaves me cold. Borderline ugly.

Ford orToyota for me.
Just brought home one of these......sweet is what I say.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ERK Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/13/19
Sure you rich guys buy GMC. I just had to settle for a Chevy for my wife’s new rig. It’s nice looking in Cajon Red. My old 2017 is white like your Jimmy. Ed k
It was $13K off sticker.
Posted By: ctsmith Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/13/19
Nice Johnny. Did you trade or buy straight up.
Just brought home one of these......sweet is what I say.

[Linked Image]

Nice lookin' truck Tex. Is it a Denali?
[Linked Image]

looks like Chevy finally fixed the square wheel wells, and rounded them out. Good move.
Nice Johnny. Did you trade or buy straight up.

Traded the '18 Silverado, they gave me $34,000 for it.
No Denali O Okie......Sierra SLT. I don't have many vices, but I LOVE new trucks.
I'll push a Toyota before I drive a GM product.
No Denali O Okie......Sierra SLT. I don't have many vices, but I LOVE new trucks.

GMC has the best looking grill for sure! grin
Posted By: ChuckKY Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/14/19
Originally Posted by stevelyn
I'll push a Toyota before I drive a GM product.

It was 90+ degrees and really humid here in KY today. You go ahead and push your Toyota, I'm riding in the AC in my Chevy. grin
Hey boys they still sell base model trucks without all the gingerbread. Crew cabs, extended cabs , 4x4s , rims and a/c , power windows where expensive compared to base models back in the day as well. If you want a truck with 70s or 80s type spartan options with a modern drive train seems like you can sure get one. Well you might have to go to canada to get one without ac.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/14/19
I put 1,200 miles on a rented Chebby crew cab last week. Worst. Seats. Ever. Loved the ability to handle the weight, nice fuel economy, but it was like sitting in a hammock for 9 hrs..... Redhead said VETO.
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/14/19
I haven't forgotten the 15 billion the US taxpayers were on the hook for over the GM bailout. I still have an 11 year old Suburban that will be the final GM vehicle that ever resides in my driveway.

**50 billion**

Call me a fan boy if you want, but it’s all Fords for me. Have a 2007 F-150 and it’s never been to a mechanic. Hoping she stays strong long enough for me to get my mortgage paid off and then long enough for me to save up enough money to pay cash for the next one.

[/quote]

He’s right. High end and luxury items, which most trucks are, have gone through the roof.

Money has been cheap for the last decade. Stupid cheap. They talk about raising rates and folks howl. It ain’t gonna turn out well in the long run.

[/quote]

Car payments aren’t cheap, even if they’re low interest rates. $500/month at 9% interest (average stock market performance) invested for 30 years equates to nearly $5,000,000.
I have a '15 Silverado. I really like it and have been trying to pay it off. It's got 86,000 miles on it now and will be out of warranty soon. I'm not sure what I should do. 35 miles to work one way, It's a mix of gravel, 2 lane hi-way and interstate. The gravel kills me with rock chips.
Posted By: skeen Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/14/19
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Car payments aren’t cheap, even if they’re low interest rates. $500/month at 9% interest (average stock market performance) invested for 30 years equates to nearly $5,000,000.

Huh?
Originally Posted by skeen

Huh?

Plus one^

My 02 GMC Duramax has 305,000 and is headed on a 1000 mile trip next week. I'm an old man and remember no options on vehicles, not for me.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 07/14/19
1969 to 1972 - - - - best time to buy a new Chevy or GMC.
Originally Posted by skeen

Huh?

The average car payment today is $500/month, give or take. Staying in a new(ish) car, ie-perpetual car payments, literally costs you millions of dollars. What I mean to say is, without a car payment you could invest that money, and over the course of a 20, 30, 40 years have millions of dollars.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 03/01/23
Originally Posted by dogzapper
Here's my latest insanity. A 2019 GMC Canyon Denali with the 2.8-liter Duramax engine.

The Baby-D really ROCKS

Lovin' it totally.

Blessings,

Steve

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

How is yours hold up Steve? I have a 17 ZR2 with the 2.8 Duramax with 126K on it. So far it's been an excellent little rig..
Posted By: bpas105 Re: Time to Buy a Chevy....... - 03/01/23
The games being played with "MSRP" and "retail" are incredible. They are not the same number, and haven't been, but retail (the normal sales price) was, for a long time, less than MSRP. The strategy was to make you think you were getting a real good deal. Lately, though, retail was much higher than MSRP, so now they're trying to make it look like you're getting a real good deal off retail - but in some cases, you're still paying above MSRP!. And now, we hear that they are increasing the MSRP's just because retail went so high. That's how you get people buying pickups (150/1500) for $80K and thinking they got a deal....

There's a reason their sales are down......lack of quality control and cheap components. Word has gotten out. Their half ton line has been going down hill for about a decade.
Years ago I had 70 Dodge 3/4 T, gasser. Not very good mileage, but it was dependable, but pulled great.

I sold it and bought a new 85 Ford,3/4T, gasser with a 460 , 4 speed. I nickle and dimed me to death, could not pull a sick prostitute off a pee pot. Vapor locked on every pass. Warranty worked pulled the engine 3 times ,transmission twice. Finally left me stranded on Lovepass with a full 20 ft goosneck trailer and $400 tow bill I sold it with 85,000 miles.

Then I bought a new 1998, 3/4 T Ram Cummings. Ran great, mileage so so, pulled great, but I put three injector pumps in it, a FASS system because the factory lift pump failed twice. Replaced clutch,pressure plate and hydraulic. At 160K the head gasket blew, sludged up the entire engine and cooling system, warped the head. $6k.Then the turbo went out. In all I put about $15K in repairs.

Sold that and bought a new 2019 Chevy, Duramax, Allison Transmission LT. So far except for oil tire or rotation, only routine maintenance. I had to replace the two batteries. Shop said plan on every three years and a full headlight bucket assembly under warranty. 23mpg on the hwy, 16 around home/town. Pulls like a son of a gun, rides great. I have 26K on it at present. This last year , I have not used it much. Health and cost of diesel.

As for the govt. bail out, Biden giving billions to Ukraine,his inflation has cost me a hell of a lot more. I don't know if the Chevy will be better than the Dodge or Ford. It sure can't be any worse.
If I had jeff beezos money the last thing I’d buy is a new Chevy 🤦‍♂️ dealership setting full of brand new trucks with bad transmissions and blown up engines… and I’m a Chevy fan!
© 24hourcampfire