Home
Posted By: Angus1895 Fidelity investments - 09/19/19
Hello I am thinking of moving an account from ed Jones to fidelity investments.

Your in put is appreciated.

John
Posted By: RufusG Re: Fidelity investments - 09/19/19
I just moved an account out of Fidelity today so there should be room.
Originally Posted by Angus1895

John

I did the reverse move, and am much happier with the results.
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Fidelity investments - 09/19/19
I didn't care for Edward Jones and have had a great experience with Fidelity. I'd go with just about anybody before I went back to Edward Jones.....
I'm with Schwab, but Fidelity also a good company to work with.
Posted By: viking Re: Fidelity investments - 09/19/19
So where would someone put 50k these days for a long term safe investment.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Fidelity investments - 09/19/19
We have had an account for the last 26 years.

While we did loose some dough in 2001 we have made it back and more.

I really liked the Contra and Magellan funds.

We have some others but the most goes in these two.
Posted By: Fubarski Re: Fidelity investments - 09/19/19
Originally Posted by viking

Research no-load mutual funds, and take your pick.

If you're paying "fees", you're gettin fcked.

Jones, Fidelity, etc., are financial "advisors" that work like H&R Block tax preparers.

Locked into a computer programmed pattern that guarantees a return for the company, but not necessarily, you.

As can be seen from the above posts, they bat .500.

So half the people are always switchin from one to the other.

But the fees keep rollin in.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Fidelity investments - 09/19/19

Well, they just blowed up the saudi refinery

Letrx and the russia fund might be fun to play with now, again. But you got to watch it every day. 😄

When it hits $60
dump, dump, dump

Oh wait....you said long term and safe

scratch that

Posted By: SandBilly Re: Fidelity investments - 09/19/19
I’m thinking about pulling everything I have.

#fuggit
Posted By: EdM Re: Fidelity investments - 09/19/19
I have been happy with Fidelity since 1985. Upon my retirement four year ago I managed my funds within Fidelity. Since retiring I gave them that duty. They issue my monthly pension and I go to one site and see where I run, fully. I meet quarterly with my adviser and tweak as I desired. They are a solid company.
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Fidelity investments - 09/19/19

Please define, for you, "long term" and "safe" . . . Based on your answers I may have some ideas for you.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Fidelity investments - 09/19/19
Real estate!
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Fidelity investments - 09/19/19
Vanguard is a good company to be with.
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: Fidelity investments - 09/19/19
cash flowing rental real estate
Posted By: kevinJ Re: Fidelity investments - 09/19/19
Vanguard

John

My dad had most of his money with them for the majority of his adult life. When he turned eighty-five, they informed him that it's their policy not to keep people with them at that age, and they asked him where they should deliver his portfolio. He didn't appreciate that.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Fidelity investments - 09/19/19
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Jones, Fidelity, etc., are financial "advisors" that work like H&R Block tax preparers

Fidelity is not like Jones. They and Vanguard are very much like each other and are not active managers of your money. The result is very low fees. When you get to a certain level with them they will offer personalized advice but it is up to you to manage your money.

As far as where to put a long term investment. Lots of low cost index funds at either Fidelity or Vanguard. Both are good places but remember "safe" is relative and directly related to when you need that money.
Posted By: There_Ya_Go Re: Fidelity investments - 09/19/19
Originally Posted by Nebraska
I didn't care for Edward Jones and have had a great experience with Fidelity. I'd go with just about anybody before I went back to Edward Jones.....

My sentiments exactly.
Posted By: There_Ya_Go Re: Fidelity investments - 09/19/19
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

John

My dad had most of his money with them for the majority of his adult life. When he turned eighty, they informed him that it's their policy not to keep people with them at that age, and they asked him where they should deliver his portfolio. He didn't appreciate that.

Which one did your dad have his money with?
Posted By: Gypsy_Wind Re: Fidelity investments - 09/19/19
Our company’s 401k has been managed by Fidelity for the last 3yrs. No big complaints and the fund selection was much better than Vanguard which we had for the 4yrs prior. When I first joined in 1999 we had T Rowe Price and that has been my favorite of the 3. The funds that were offered to us were great performers. A personal Vanguard acct may be worth looking into b/c of low fees. A 401k account will only have access to the funds agreed upon by the company and the brokerage.

I can confirm that my shadow will not darken Merrill Lynch’s door anytime soon. Exorbitant fees and for a closely managed fund with unlimited fund selection options, I found the performance shockingly bad. I was consistently getting 5% higher return on my 401k where I picked the funds over an 11 year window.

If I were new to the game, I’d go through fund options with Fidelity, Vanguard, TRP, and Schwab and see who’s offerings I was most comfortable with and then do an analysis of the fees based on the amount I was investing. Good luck with it.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Fidelity investments - 09/19/19

Vanguard for the last 25 years.
Posted By: Savuti Re: Fidelity investments - 09/19/19
A fourth vote for Vanguard. Lowest costs in the business.
"It's not what you make, it's what you keep."
I use Fidelity, no complaints.

Good communication over the phone, which is rare these days.
Correction. That happened when he turned 85, not 80.
I have been using Fidelity for a while now, sometime around 1986-87. No issues ever. My stock trades are free with them.

I have a few Vanguard Mutual funds, great company as well. However I have never used them for stock trading.

Asking for a stock pick is like asking what caliber rifle you should be using on North American Field Mice. But what the hell it'll be entertaining at least!
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Fidelity investments - 09/19/19
I second the communication quality with Fidelity. They were absolutely great just recently. I rolled my 401k to Ed Jones back when I got laid off in 2010, wish I hadn't. Nothing awful or criminal- just would have been better for me had Inot. Took me a while to recoup the fees etc... Thank God for Trump,

CHK for a small power play

IDXX for safe solid growth
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Wind
. . . When I first joined in 1999 we had T Rowe Price and that has been my favorite of the 3.

I agree that T. Rowe Price has some of the best performing mutual funds.
Posted By: victoro Re: Fidelity investments - 09/19/19
"If you're paying "fees", you're gettin fcked."

Even if you buy no load mutual funds you get hosed. Every mutual fund has a manager that charges you around 2% to manage the fund. You also pay for all the stock transaction fees. When I retired years ago I invested in 3 of the best performing mutual funds at that time. Two of the funds were Janus and Vanguard but I don't remember the other one. I had to make 6% just to break even. The first year my funds lost 30% of their value and took 5 years to recover. No more mutual funds for me.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Fidelity investments - 09/19/19
Originally Posted by victoro

Even if you buy no load mutual funds you get hosed. Every mutual fund has a manager that charges you around 2% to manage the fund. You also pay for all the stock transaction fees. When I retired years ago I invested in 3 of the best performing mutual funds at that time. Two of the funds were Janus and Vanguard but I don't remember the other one. I had to make 6% just to break even. The first year my funds lost 30% of their value and took 5 years to recover. No more mutual funds for me.

Vanguard's fees are the lowest, and are negligible.

It sounds to me that you needed to leave your money in the market for awhile as a true investment, and you would have made back anything that you lost within a few years.
Originally Posted by victoro

Vic, Janus and Vanguard are two other mutual fund managers, in addition to T. Rowe Price from which I had great results after a decade of performance. Bill O'Neil (of Investors Business Daily fame) wrote in one of his books (How to Make Money in Stocks) that if one is going to invest in mutual funds they should never be sold. Buying high and selling low is one of the most common mistakes novice retail investors make. Consider your losses in mutual funds simple tuition paid to the college of investing success, lessons learned.
Posted By: NoDak Re: Fidelity investments - 09/19/19
Vanguard Wellington has been around for about 90 years and has averaged @ 8% year in, year out. Runs 65% stocks and 35% bonds.

https://www.morningstar.com/funds/xnas/vwelx/quote

https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/fund/vwelx

https://www.kiplinger.com/article/i...uard-wellington-fund-still-delights.html
Posted By: dale06 Re: Fidelity investments - 09/19/19
My company offered Vanguard. They performed well with reasonable fees.
Posted By: atomchaser Re: Fidelity investments - 09/19/19
Vanguard or Fidelity. I wouldn't touch Edward Jones with a 10 ft pole.
Posted By: lightman Re: Fidelity investments - 09/19/19
A move away from Edward Jones to about anyplace else would be a positive move.
Posted By: EdM Re: Fidelity investments - 09/19/19
Amazing that Fidelity is privately owned.
Posted By: travelingman1 Re: Fidelity investments - 09/20/19
About 60% of my retirement money is with Fidelity. Have been pleased for almost 30 years with them.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Fidelity investments - 09/20/19
Fidelity has been the trustee of my 401K since 1998. No complaints
..been investing with Fidelity since 1986, no complaints. They help me if I ask for it, and leave me alone when I ask for it. I have had my investments in and out of several funds over the years, but havent hopped around much...very pleased with my overall returns.

My wife's investments are much more conservative than mine have been with fidelity over the years.. We've been blessed and it looks like we are going to hit my goal at retirement time.

I hope to be saying adios to my full time job in the next 2 to 3 years... Positioning myself for that now.... Hoping things come together.

dave
Posted By: Scotty Re: Fidelity investments - 09/20/19
My 401 K is with Fidelity. I have been satisfied.
Posted By: JackRyan Re: Fidelity investments - 09/20/19
Go, you won't be sorry.
Posted By: JackRyan Re: Fidelity investments - 09/20/19

John

S&P 500 index fund. Fidelity or Vanguard.
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Fidelity investments - 09/20/19
So what constitutes a $4.95 dollar trade versuses a $35 trade with fidelity?

Can you really talk to any fidelity agent? At ed Jones you cannot, they seem strangely competitive if not adversaries amongst them selves.
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Fidelity investments - 09/20/19
So what constitutes a $4.95 dollar trade versuses a $35 trade with fidelity?

Can you really talk to any fidelity agent? At ed Jones you cannot, they seem strangely competitive if not adversaries amongst them selves.

The 4.95 trade is one you make online, unassisted. The 35 trade is an assisted trade. Fidelity has world class service via telephone.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Fidelity investments - 09/20/19

I have always found Vanguard’s customer service/communications to be world class.
Posted By: ring3 Re: Fidelity investments - 09/20/19
Vanguard has been my choice for 20 plus years. Index funds. I’ve made a few moves, mostly rebalancing. Pretty passive investor. Somewhat recently I put the lions share into one of Vanguards “Target Date” funds. It’s really passive! Does the rebalancing itself. I rarely even look at it now. Very satisfied when I do gloss over performance.
© 24hourcampfire