Home
Posted By: TheKid A good orange vest - 10/08/19
I need a new vest for this year. Been wearing the same lucky one since I was 14 and it’s about shot.

I don’t need or want a bunch of pockets or pouches, game bags, or doodads. Wool or fleece, nothing shiny or noisy. Needs to be more or less form fitting, I don’t want it flapping or snagging on stuff.

What are you guys wearing?
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: A good orange vest - 10/08/19
A Browning upland bird vest.

I like it because it was the only one that fit.
Posted By: TheKid Re: A good orange vest - 10/08/19
I suppose that’s a pretty good reason Jim. smile
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: A good orange vest - 10/09/19
I always get a pheasant vest, and then use it for big game. I just use the bird pocket to carry extra stuff instead of having a daypack.
Posted By: Rick n Tenn Re: A good orange vest - 10/09/19
I have a plain light fleece vest for deer hunting and one that has pockets and shell holders for bird hunting , bought both at Cabelas in Mitchell .
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: A good orange vest - 10/09/19
Look into vests made for cruising timber. They are well made and hold up for a long time.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: A good orange vest - 10/09/19
Remington cloth camo orange vest.
Posted By: Slavek Re: A good orange vest - 10/09/19
Originally Posted by TheKid
I need a new vest for this year. Been wearing the same lucky one since I was 14 and it’s about shot.

I don’t need or want a bunch of pockets or pouches, game bags, or doodads. Wool or fleece, nothing shiny or noisy. Needs to be more or less form fitting, I don’t want it flapping or snagging on stuff.

What are you guys wearing?

There are plenty of jogging vests online to choose from.
Posted By: 16bore Re: A good orange vest - 10/09/19
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Look into vests made for cruising timber. They are well made and hold up for a long time.

Mine came out of a forest service trash pile about 25 years ago and who knows how long it was used. I sliced and diced and sewed that thing 6 ways to Sunday!
Posted By: EIB0879 Re: A good orange vest - 10/09/19
I have had one of these for around 20 years.

https://gamehide.com/product/pheasant-vest/?attribute_pa_color=0or&attribute_pa_size=x-large

A couple of years ago I bought an Under Armour vest for warmer weather.
Posted By: WVGuy Re: A good orange vest - 10/09/19
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

I bought a cruising vest a couple of years ago. It is well made with multiple pockets. It is the last vest I will need!
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: A good orange vest - 10/09/19
Browning Upland Bird Vest. Right pockets, right amount of mesh, tough & feels cozy when I’m nestled into my favorite ambush spot.
Posted By: Theeck Re: A good orange vest - 10/09/19
I have a few vests but don’t wear them much anymore. For deer, I wear my camo gear and put a slightly oversized orange t-short over it with the sleeves cut off. I like it because it is stretchy enough to be form-fitting regardless of the number of layers underneath. It is also quiet and dries fast. I don’t like the vests with pockets because I already have plenty of pockets in my coat. It sounds dumb but I like it.

Here is what I buy (in safety orange):

https://www.hanes.com/shop/hanes/hanes-mens-t-shirt-h4820?categoryId=21075
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: A good orange vest - 10/09/19
Browning orange vest. (Not upland)

Two pockets on each side. Soft fabric so it’s quiet.
Posted By: Alamosa Re: A good orange vest - 10/09/19
Cabela's down vest is nice. Great pockets and core warmth.
Marmot orange fleece vest is very quiet and compresses when necessary.
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: A good orange vest - 10/09/19
I hung my vests up and went with a Browning Strap Vest. Plenty of orange and enough pockets for shells and dog stuff.
Posted By: shaman Re: A good orange vest - 10/09/19
I'm always on the lookout for a good orange vest.

Mailorder places are hit and miss over the past decade. Sportsmans Guide has one with lots of pockets, but it costs quite a bit.

I scored a couple of 3X vests on Ebay a while back. They were a good deal. I also found a small one for #1 granddaughter.

Fleece? I made orange fleece ponchos for the kids based on what I'd made for myself years ago. You just buy a couple of yards of fabric and cut a diamond shaped hole in the middle.

[Linked Image]

I made mine out of cotton duck. It not only gave lots of coverage, but it also broke up my form.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: A good orange vest - 10/09/19
My wife knitted me a fantastic hat and extra long extra wide scarf from premium yarn. If meets the law here and is fantastic for still hunting and walking/slow hunting mountain roads when it is really cold. Rest of the time I wear a Patagonia Nanopuff pull over (orange) and camo under... cargo pants and pack for the gear.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: A good orange vest - 10/09/19
cheap vest from WalMart does a great job
Posted By: 35 Re: A good orange vest - 10/09/19
Here`s a good one that`s relatively inexpensive.
I wear mine when I need to stow it on stand.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Bro...TIpCaHVU4waAkKiEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

If you need a few more pockets.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/CAB...vKsB0IX150aAvzlEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: A good orange vest - 10/09/19
Both blaze orange wool garments I have, a Stormy Kromer hat and a Bemidji jacket, faded badly in short order, without being cleaned or washed, only exposed to sunlight afield.

About 20 years ago, I bought a blaze fleece jacket at Walmart, cut the sleeves off at the shoulder. It has flush zipper pockets outside, inner pockets, a collar, and hasn't faded a bit, though washed every year. $10, IIRC.

I bought it oversized to fit over my other coats. Adds a layer of warmth, is totally silent. Fleece is tough, won't ravel like jersey or other knits.

Mine's marked "Winchester". Similar ones can be had at other places like farm stores, I'll bet
Posted By: Paul39 Re: A good orange vest - 10/09/19
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Browning orange vest. (Not upland)

Two pockets on each side. Soft fabric so it’s quiet.

This. The Browning vest is a cut above the usual el cheepos.

Posted By: inland44 Re: A good orange vest - 10/09/19
I have a Stormy Kromer wool vest, got it 3 seasons ago I like it and it has held up pretty well.
Posted By: Raeford Re: A good orange vest - 10/09/19
I'm still using a freebie from Levi Garret or some such....

Can't remember having ever purchased a vest by itself.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: A good orange vest - 10/09/19
Around here, fleece and woods do not mix. Dang cockelburs practically jump off the plant to stick to it.

I do like others here and wear my upland vest and use the pouches to carry stuff to the stand.
Posted By: exbiologist Re: A good orange vest - 10/09/19
I have both the Kuiu Guide vest and Kings soft shell. The kings is more blaze than matte orange and a little weirdly long for me, but I like it and wear it. I prefer the Kuiu and am a believer in the DWR coatings on both.
Posted By: exbiologist Re: A good orange vest - 10/09/19
I also have an insulated carhartt in orange and appreciate the insulated pockets.
Posted By: Brad Re: A good orange vest - 10/09/19
My favorite comes from LL Bean.. looks like they changed it this year to angled slash pockets:

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/506...r%3AtrackingCode=5C7C3E5E-9037-E611-80EE
Posted By: TheKid Re: A good orange vest - 10/09/19
I didn’t know Carhartt made an orange vest. I wear a tan Carhartt zipper vest a lot during the fall and winter and like the cut. I’ll have to look and see if I can find an orange one.
Posted By: slumlord Re: A good orange vest - 10/09/19
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
cheap vest from WalMart does a great job

Oh yeah

Noisy, with the look and feel of a crinkly garbage bag.
Posted By: TheKid Re: A good orange vest - 10/09/19
Well it looks like the Carhartt offering is discontinued. Dangit
© 24hourcampfire