Home
Posted By: Lonny Big Thanks to Buck Knives - 10/26/19
A few weeks ago, a young man(age 20) I work with, was coming back from a weekend of elk scouting with his twin brother and they were in a terrible vehicle accident. The brother was killed....

The young man I work with is an absolute solid person and you'd think he is 10 years older than he is by his maturity. He works hard, is smart, respectable, responsible, and improves the performance of those he works with. He and his deceased twin brother are/were very avid outdoorsmen.

After the dust started to settle a bit, I tried to think of something meaningful to get the guy. I checked out the Buck Knife website and noticed the custom knife page and after getting some ideas from his family on the type of handle and engraved words, decided that would be something that would work. A 110 folder has a S30V blade, with elk antler handle.

My only worry was the potential 4-6 week wait for the knife to be done. I really didn't want to be possibly reopening a wound that long after the death of a twin brother.

I called Buck and asked about the wait time and in the process explained why I was hoping for a sooner turnaround. The nice guy in customer service at Buck, told me he was going to get with the custom shop and do all he could to make this happen sooner. I went ahead and ordered the knife hoping that it wouldn't be 4-6 weeks, but realized it might. I ordered on a Friday and one week later, I got the email that the knife had been shipped.

Anyway, my hat is off to Buck Knives for moving as fast as possible on this. Darn nice people who want to help their customers. I wish the knife could have been given for a happy occasion, but maybe in some way it can help.
Buck is a really good company. That was a good job.
Posted By: bludog Re: Big Thanks to Buck Knives - 10/26/19
Echo that, Buck is a good company that seems to have heart.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Big Thanks to Buck Knives - 10/26/19
Dammit Lonny, sad accident, very sad. But somehow this doesn't surprise me about Buck. Kudos to them & you.

Thanks for sharing.
Good deal.

Sorry about your friend's brother though.
Posted By: hanco Re: Big Thanks to Buck Knives - 10/26/19
I have several Buck knives. I will appreciate them more now and will think of this every time I use one!
Posted By: ttpoz Re: Big Thanks to Buck Knives - 10/26/19
There are cheaper knives and I suppose there are better knives, but I like to spend money with a company like Buck. They're all I buy.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Big Thanks to Buck Knives - 10/26/19
Buck is a good solid company, Kudos to them!

My hat is off to Lonny for taking care of a friend in need, that's what really counts!
Very sorry to hear about your young friend's brother, Lonny. I'm sure that is a very tough situation for him and his family right now.

I can say that I believe he will be very happy with that knife. I bought that exact knife from the Buck custom shop a few months ago and the knife was well worth the approximate 4 to 6 weeks wait. It's a beauty.

Best Wishes to all.
Yikes, sad situation for your friend and his family
Thats a very nice thing you did.
Posted By: tdbob Re: Big Thanks to Buck Knives - 10/26/19
My condolences to you and your friend. As the previous post stated, that was incredibly nice of you.
All the above.

Godspeed to the deceased, condolences to the living.
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Big Thanks to Buck Knives - 10/26/19
That's very thoughtful of you. Sorry to hear about your friend's loss.
Posted By: poboy Re: Big Thanks to Buck Knives - 10/26/19
SALUD!!!
Posted By: skeen Re: Big Thanks to Buck Knives - 10/26/19
Good to hear of Buck's service. I haven't ordered a Buck knife in a while, but that write up drove me straight to their website where I ordered a 722 SpitFire for my youngest son.
Posted By: rte Re: Big Thanks to Buck Knives - 10/26/19
Like the others stated,I'm sorry to read about your friend's brother.

They are a fantastic company run by God fearing men.I believe C.J Buck is the fourth generation to run his family's business and he does it like his father,that is,with high regard for their customers.

My dad and uncles collect Buck knives and I've received many as gifts over the years.It's been a tradition in my family to gift Buck knives.
Posted By: Sako Re: Big Thanks to Buck Knives - 10/26/19
so sorry to hear about the loss of the brother and the heartache it causes... Good Job for you and Buck...
I'm quite surprised ANY company did this in a timely manner. But God Bless them for doing so. Be Well, RZ
Posted By: MOGC Re: Big Thanks to Buck Knives - 10/26/19
Sara Buck did something similar for me when I ordered a Custom Shop 110 for my dads birthday. They are first class people.
Lonny: What a nice gift and gift idea you came up with!
Good for you.
I have given MANY, MANY knives as presents over the last 50+ years to loved ones and Hunting partners and etc.
Most always they have been Buck knives.
I own many dozens of Buck knives and proudly endorse them for folks asking for recommendations.
Having said these things I have never given a knife as a gift to someone in the aftermath of such a close relatives death.
How do you predicate such a gift?
Do you say "in remembrance of your twin brother" or just give it to them no explanation?
I am not a very worldly person when it comes to social graces and would appreciate your comments.
And as a word of advice keep an "eye" on the status/condition of the remaining twin.
May his brother rest in peace.
Long live Buck Incorporated - a fine American company.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: tzone Re: Big Thanks to Buck Knives - 10/26/19
Good for them. They also make a fine American made knife.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Big Thanks to Buck Knives - 10/26/19
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy

Having said these things I have never given a knife as a gift to someone in the aftermath of such a close relatives death.
How do you predicate such a gift?
Do you say "in remembrance of your twin brother" or just give it to them no explanation?
VarmintGuy

VG, actually I ran the knife plan past the young man's wife to make sure it would be okay. She came up with the significant words that were engraved on the blade. She also suggested putting his deceased brothers initials on the front bolster and his on the back. She was really on board and excited with all of this and I would have never done it if she had any hesitation.

Buck Knife is a class outfit for sure. When I talked with the Buck customer service guy, Kevin Bryan, about the knife build, he looked over the selected components and offered advice on how to make things look even better, and make assembly easier. While on the phone with Kevin, he told me he lost a brother when he was young and could totally understand what our guy was going through.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Big Thanks to Buck Knives - 10/26/19
Sad deal but nice gesture Lonny.

Tragedy aside, I know a bunch of us here have 110's and they are a damn good knife.
(ordered a 101 this morning)
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Big Thanks to Buck Knives - 10/27/19
A sad situation, prayers. Son learned to hunt with me, and always wanted the knife I used. A Buck 119. For his 21st I bought him a 119 with the date code to his birth year. He is proud of it.. Buck is an old school company, and very worthy of our support.
They are a great company. The Buck family are Christians who live by it.
..with a lifetime full of knives, ordered my first Buck due to kind story. Finally a company worth giving the money to.

May get a few more. Very diverse lineup. Not just pretty colors.
Posted By: 44mc Re: Big Thanks to Buck Knives - 10/27/19
good deal Lonny. you are a fine man carry on
Posted By: Edwin264 Re: Big Thanks to Buck Knives - 10/27/19
This story makes me want to go out and buy a Buck knife today.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Big Thanks to Buck Knives - 10/28/19
OUTstanding!!
© 24hourcampfire