Home
Posted By: Kenneth Glacier National Park, - 01/16/20
Guys, there have been several threads here in the past about GNP. but my google-fu must be lacking, I see little in the archives using a google custom search,

If you know any of those past threads feel free to bump them up, or send me a link,

If you care to give her hell all over again in this thread, that's cool too....

Looking for ideas on family vacation this summer, and this time thinking of flying from Wi rather than 4 days driving back and forth.....

If I recall, huge advice on the fact that Browning was the coolest place of all to stay..............
Camp or stay in the Many Glacier Area for sure. There;s the Many Glacier Hotel, Swiftcurrent Lodge, as a well as a campground. Amazing scenery and great hikes out of there. Bear activity can be very high, so watch the warning signs.
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: Glacier National Park, - 01/16/20
If you're over 62 get one of the senior passes for the National Parks, You and everyone in the vehicle get in free or at big discounts. Can'[t remember where to apply.
We went to Glacier a few years ago, wonderful trip. We rented a VRBO in Whitefish, but then there were 9 or 10 of us.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Glacier National Park, - 01/16/20
I just got my senior pass at a national forest office, it cost $80 these days but I hope to make it pay off pretty soon with some free entries and 1/2 price on most of the camping.
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Guys, there have been several threads here in the past about GNP. but my google-fu must be lacking, I see little in the archives using a google custom search,

If you know any of those past threads feel free to bump them up, or send me a link,

If you care to give her hell all over again in this thread, that's cool too....

Looking for ideas on family vacation this summer, and this time thinking of flying from Wi rather than 4 days driving back and forth.....

If I recall, huge advice on the fact that Browning was the coolest place of all to stay..............

What are your goals there? What kind of shape are you all in? If you can get there before the Highway to the Sun opens and can hike it you are in for a real treat.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Glacier National Park, - 01/16/20
Goals,

Do not turn into bear poop,
We're in good shape, love to hike(see above)
why before the Highway to the Sun opens?

Most others say avoid that.
What time of year?? Weather will dictate what you can hike.
realisticall speaking, spend how many days in that area?

We have up to 8 days to work with,

Can't imagine we would want to spend all 8 in the Park?

What else would be worthy in the area?

Grand Tetons?

We've done Yellowstone, (loved it)
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman

Thinking July?
Posted By: 1minute Re: Glacier National Park, - 01/16/20
Yes, For sure do the senior pass deal, If one gets out much at all it pays. Luckily got mine when they were $10. Glacier is gorgeous with near every landscape recognizable from calendar shots. Do give ones self 3 or 4 days for time to pause and smell the roses though. Not overly impressed with the wildlife viewing compared to Yellowstone or Montana's Bison Range, but do keep an eye out. Jasper is somewhat better for wildlife.

For sure a camera with both telephoto and wide angle options.

Spring or early summer are likely best. For our last late summer outing, Canada and Washington's Kootenai country were on fire, and most of our shots looked like Glacier in the fog.

Can't comment on facilities as we were camping.
Goals,

Do not turn into bear poop,
We're in good shape, love to hike(see above)

If you can get there BEFORE the Highway to the Sun opens and can hike it you are in for a real treat.

For the same reason everyone says avoid it! Hint there are no cars on it when it is closed!
Posted By: Schmidtx2 Re: Glacier National Park, - 01/16/20
A ride up to hungry horse dam and beyond is worth the trip.
When the road is closed you can also ride bikes on it. The road opens around the 1st of July. Of course depending on snowpack and road damage.

Thinking July?

Most trails should be open by early July.. most years. Rocky mountain bison range, flathead lake, spotted bear ranger station, and the Canadian side of the park are all worth a visit. Big fork, whitefish are more tourist towns. Browning is always nice. It’s big country, 8 days is nothing.
Posted By: USMC2602 Re: Glacier National Park, - 01/16/20

Thinking July?

Most trails should be open by early July.. most years. Rocky mountain bison range, flathead lake, spotted bear ranger station, and the Canadian side of the park are all worth a visit. Big fork, whitefish are more tourist towns. Browning is always nice. It’s big country, 8 days is nothing.

Agree on all counts. One of my family’s favorite trips, and we’ve done all the major parks. You won’t run out of things to do.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Glacier National Park, - 01/16/20
If you want to book a Reds tour, they fill up days and weeks out. Kick back with the top rolled open, old stoner telling us all about the geomorphology.

You can do this one one of your days if just want a laid back day.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Glacier National Park, - 01/16/20
We've done Glacier several times and while the Going to The Sun Road is great the first time or two, you want to get out and hike. Hike a day, spend the next day doing something easy, and hike again the next. You can burn a week real easy.

We've always stayed on the west side (usually vacation rental or camp)and just drove to where we wanted to hike each day. Make accommodations well in advance if you can. Leave early in the morning,enjoy some coffee and the scenery while you drive to the trailhead.

Our favorite day-hikes were, Siyeh Pass, Grinnell Glacier, and Ptarmigan Tunnel. We saw grizzlies, bighorn sheep, black bears, goats and a few elk and moose. You won't see as many animals as Yellowstone, but the scenery is fantastic. Pack some optics! Plan your hikes ahead of time. In some cases, the shuttle system can take you back to your vehicle after a long day on the trail if you come out near a pick-up point on the main road.

The Going to the Sun Road can be a cluster at times, visitor centers will be packed after 10 AM, and the more popular trails will have dozens of people or more hiking them, but we enjoyed the heck out of hiking there.
Posted By: SBTCO Re: Glacier National Park, - 01/16/20
The big issue with Glacier P. now is parking. ...and at present the park does not have a shuttle service (the previous contractor quit). Keep checking the GNP website and start making phone calls for updates on info. If you can, make reservations as soon as possible to reserve camping spot/s and plan hikes accordingly. As was mentioned, the east side(Many Glacier etc.) gives you the most bang for your sheckles, but can be very busy as well.
Posted By: Razz Re: Glacier National Park, - 01/16/20
We went in late August 2 years ago and had to totally change plans due to fires. In dryer years late summer can be an issue. This past summer we went late June. Got there the day Going to The Sun Road opened. Spectacular. But, it was also snowing at the pass. Spent first night after driving up in Hungry Horse at a local inn, then 5 days tenting it in the park. Lots to see. The town of Polebridge was a neat stop when we explored the western side of the park. Hike to Iceberg Lake was memorable. I saw mention of seeing Grand Teton NP on the trip by someone. We live at its backdoor. That is a long days drive from Glacier. We admit to being spoiled by living in Grand Teton and Yellowstone’s backyards, BUT are the first to say the trips were well worthit. The scenery is spectacular. A different landscape all together. Every hike we took was outstanding.
Since this is a family vacation, and time is precious, and you've already driven the "great plains," might want to change it up a little.

Flying into Montana is outrageously expensive. It's the "penalty" for living here. So, Spokane and Calgary might actually be the wisest fly-in option. Fly in there, rent a car, it's a full day for Calgary and about five-six hours on good highways from Spokane to Kalispell, three different routes all within about an hour total time of each other. The airfare savings might actually pay for the rental car, even more.

But if you fly, you can't bring toys or camping gear.

Our snowpack this year is doing well, which means a mid-June Sun Road opening. The "local" protocol for the Sun Road is to get up at Oh Dark Four Thirty and be in the park before sunup for your day hike. There is very little "backcountry" hiking or overnight hiking permitted. Otherwise, it's a crowded crapshoot until after Labor Day, and it can snow closed any time after that.

Another thing I would think about is basing yourself on the east side, East Glacier, Browning, Many Glacier, St Mary. I've not looked at the gate counts but I'd bet hard money that most auto driver visits on the Sun Road are on the west side, from Belton up to Logan Pass and back down because the Flathead is "sexier" than the east front side of Glacier. But in my view, and in terms of where I've hiked, the east face trails are "better" than on the west side.

Keep in mind also that the HUGE majority of visitation to GNP is focused on the Sun Road and hikes originating on the road. But there is the North Fork on the west, and 2 Med, Many Glacier, and Waterton, basically 9 10ths of the park, where nobody goes relative to Logan Pass Sun Road corridor. Everybody goes there. Oh man, it's crazy. No crazier than the Statue of Liberty, but it's pretty much a zoo, like Old Faithful gets.

If your family includes athletic kids (over about 12 years) and a sporty wife who actually has a pair of broken in hiking boots and walking poles, the park has a lot to offer. It's really not for sissies or the stupid. The well-prepared and adventurous are rewarded.
Posted By: Partsman Re: Glacier National Park, - 01/16/20
Never been,
But would like to see it.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Glacier National Park, - 01/16/20
Originally Posted by kid0917
I just got my senior pass at a national forest office, it cost $80 these days but I hope to make it pay off pretty soon with some free entries and 1/2 price on most of the camping.

I got my senior pass 4 years ago, IIRC, and it was only $10. Got it at an Army Corp of Engineers campground. Prices sure have gone up.
I'm not a Senior, so there's that....
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner

There is very little "backcountry" hiking or overnight hiking permitted.

Dave, could you explain this please?

And the bears while hiking, serious issue?

Seems like way too often you hear of people becoming bear snacks in GNP,,,,,
Posted By: JeffA Re: Glacier National Park, - 01/16/20
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner

There is very little "backcountry" hiking or overnight hiking permitted.

Dave, could you explain this please?

Don't worry about that, pick up some bear spray..it's every where there..and enjoy yourself.
Consider it a bonus if you get to see one....

BTW, how old are the kids. I'm working up a list of options, ages would be helpful.
Posted By: deflave Re: Glacier National Park, - 01/16/20
Kenneth,

Having spent a lot of time in Glacier, I would fly into the west side of the divide and rent a car. Over the Going to the Sun, and then north to the Many Glacier area. There are rooms to rent there and a restaurant at that campground. From there I would take your family on as many day hikes as possible. There are a lot of great day hikes there and the need to overnight or hike in the backcountry is pretty minimal if you want to hit the high points. Ptarmigan Tunnel, Iceberg Lake, and Ptarmigan Falls to name a few.

On your way back, take the Going to the Sun Road. (it's actually a totally different experience going each direction because of the views.)

If you are going to camp, you're going to have to deal with the logistics of acquiring your own gear and equipment if you fly. Another advantage to the Many Glacier area is they have quarter fed showers on site. As well as nice schitters with running water.

I would recommend bringing your own glass and spotter as well. In the evenings you can spot grizz and mountain goat fairly easily.

As far as bear attacks, staying in rooms or cabins alleviates any concerns. Despite popular thinking there have not been many bear attacks in the park itself. And the area surrounding Many Glacier hasn't had one in years as far as I know. When you get OUTSIDE the park on the west end, it's pretty gnarly however.

Now, since you're from Wisconsin, go ahead and throw all this information in the trash.
Originally Posted by deflave
Kenneth,

Having spent a lot of time in Glacier, I would fly into the west side of the divide and rent a car. Over the Going to the Sun, and then north to the Many Glacier area. There are rooms to rent there and a restaurant at that campground. From there I would take your family on as many day hikes as possible. There are a lot of great day hikes there and the need to overnight or hike in the backcountry is pretty minimal if you want to hit the high points. Ptarmigan Tunnel, Iceberg Lake, and Ptarmigan Falls to name a few.

On your way back, take the Going to the Sun Road. (it's actually a totally different experience going each direction because of the views.)

If you are going to camp, you're going to have to deal with the logistics of acquiring your own gear and equipment if you fly. Another advantage to the Many Glacier area is they have quarter fed showers on site. As well as nice schitters with running water.

I would recommend bringing your own glass and spotter as well. In the evenings you can spot grizz and mountain goat fairly easily.

As far as bear attacks, staying in rooms or cabins alleviates any concerns. Despite popular thinking there have not been many bear attacks in the park itself. And the area surrounding Many Glacier hasn't had one in years as far as I know. When you get OUTSIDE the park on the west end, it's pretty gnarly however.

Now, since you're from Wisconsin, go ahead and throw all this information in the trash.

F_uckin east siders, you got no idea how to enjoy yourself....come on, is that all you can come up with?
I spent five weeks camping around the areas outside the park last fall in the most likely of places to be eaten by a bear and saw nuttin but a couple of scrawny black bears...on the run....well the one didn't run until I kicked him...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: BlueDuck Re: Glacier National Park, - 01/16/20
I have been to Glacier several times. I like it in the early fall, around the middle of Sept. Lots of colors out earlier there then most anywhere else. Way less people too. Some of the facilities are shut down by then, but we never needed them anyway.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Glacier National Park, - 01/16/20
realisticall speaking, spend how many days in that area?

We have up to 8 days to work with,

Can't imagine we would want to spend all 8 in the Park?

What else would be worthy in the area?

Grand Tetons?

We've done Yellowstone, (loved it)

Since you've said that you're still in shape to hike and love doing it, I'd recommend spending the entire time in Glacier Park.

It's got 1100 miles of hiking trails and some of the most outstanding scenery in the country.

Years ago my wife and I spent a summer living on the road sleeping in a tent. We spent a week in Glacier and barely scratched the surface of it. It was by far the highlight of our trip. Nothing else compared to it.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Glacier National Park, - 01/16/20
If you've got it in you,....this is definitely one of the best hikes in the park,....or in the entire country, for that matter.

http://www.hikinginglacier.com/swiftcurrent-pass.htm

,...along the way:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]upload a jpg
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Glacier National Park, - 01/16/20
We enjoyed all of the places that we stayed, but our favorite was Prince of Wales.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Glacier National Park, - 01/16/20

Kenneth,

I don't want to downplay the bear thing, because things can happen, but as an outdoorsman and hunter you will have way more woods-smarts than the many other thousands of people some hiking, in flip-flops, with no bear spray, munching on a PB&J sandwich.

Our last trip, last summer, oddly enough, the closest we came to a grizzly was at a pullout overlooking St. Mary's Lake. Thousands of people stop there... A griz walked out of the thick brush about 75 yards away, onto the highway and picked up a road-killed squirrel and walked back in the brush.

The other bears we saw while hiking were at 300-600 yards and usually a drainage separated us. In one case, though we could look back and see the trail we had just walked down, switch-backing and could see a griz about 100 yards below the trail. We could also see people on the trail just above the bear. They had no idea a bear was right below them. Bears gotta, hear, smell, and see, people all the time and are used to humans being on the trails.

You will see bear sign right on the trails and they use the trails to move around just like the hundreds of hikers. See a grizzly always makes the highlight of the trip.

Pack some bear spray, talk as you go, and just be aware. The odds of getting in a car wreck in the park are a real concern though. Lots of people not used to driving on narrow crowded roads.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Glacier National Park, - 01/16/20
It has been years, and I can't remember exactly which lodge we were at (I think West Glacier) when Mom insisted on a walk after supper. My wife was able to beg off, but my six-year-old son and I were coerced into accompanying her. I pointed out that if we should encounter a bear with evil intent, I was going to knock her to the ground, grab my son, and depart in a rapid, but not alarmingly fast manner. Her response to this was, "Good plan".
If I knew if you considered camping an option my recommendations would be quite different.

If your flight arrives later in the day you could stay in town the first night just to get started.
https://kalispellgrand.com is about a affordable as it gets for anything decent and it's in the middle of town.
You can walk to outdoor shops and restaurants and the like, one of the hiking shops right there on main would have the bear spray you'll want to pick-up.

Glacier Park can really suck due to crowding, it's a day trip, make the run and get it over with, the surrounding area offers so much more.
Lunch or dinner at Lake Mcdonald Lodge ( https://www.usparklodging.com/glacier/lakemcdonald.php ) would serve you well on the way in or out.. The hotel rates just don't measure up to what it takes to deal with the congestion of the park.

We all have our favorites, I have a few.

The https://izaakwaltoninn.com is at the top of my list. It's on the southern end just across the border from the Park.
It's slower there, a good spot to start and end you park day tour, you can make the loop from east to west through the park and the Izaak Walton will be in the middle.
Be aware, there is going to be big time road construction on the parks east side for the next two summers.
It's a federal government project, stand by for disastrous traffic conditions.

Great food, nice little bar, and plenty of impeccably maintained restored historic value. There is nothing else in the immediate vicinity except an amazing river, the Goat Lick and a few hiking trails. You're in the river drainage so everything is uphill from there and steep when it comes to hikes.
It's a Cross Country ski lodge, that's their mainstay so summers are just slow for them..

Now for some hiking....

Hungry Horse Reservoir, this is another slow, outta the way location that'll be tourist free. It's the locals playground... there is 170 miles of shoreline with 110 miles of road that loops around it. This is also on the southern boarder of the park.

Check your rental car agreement to be sure these back country areas I mention are not forbidden, all those cars have GPS locators on them, they'll know where you've been....

Places like this are the real real Western Montana. If you're camping, it's all for free.
For hiking, fishing, camping and even hunting, it's all there. look at the maps, do your research and you'll be overwhelmed with the opportunities this area has to offer.

I could pinpoint some great camping areas, there are developed spots with fees but you're in a national forest, you can camp anywhere you like for free other than their developed locations.

There are a couple lodges that you can book into there.

They are both good but funny..http://www.spottedbear.com gets great reviews but it's gonna be spendy.

Then there is the https://www.diamondrranch.com . This one is more intriguing, they don't know how to advertise, never have.
I've seen them written up as "one of Montanas best kept secrets" that's not what I'd want my place of business to be know for.

I suppose that's why they are always slow, nobody knows they are there..
The place is for sale, maybe they've just lost interest but whatever it is makes for a quite slow and more than tranquil layover.

They have these cool little cabins, this is the view off a back deck..
[Linked Image from media-cdn.tripadvisor.com]

That's the Spotted Bear river they are sitting on, great fishing, amazing hiking trails yada yada.. You can book a horse trip to one of nearby mountain lakes even.. They have good food, but don't go looking for normal conveniences....like electricity, they ain't got none... I think you could negotiate a family rate with them but getting one of the cabins overlooking the river is a must.

Now for along the western border of the park...

Like the southern park border where the Middle Fork of the Flathead river defines it, the North Fork of the Flathead defines the parks western border.

There's another road...check car rental agreement...it follows the river all the way to the Canadian border.

Up the Northfork road much like Hungry Horse, you're in a National Forest looking across the river at the Park.
This is where you'll find the iconic Polebridge Mercantile OMG what a bakery..
You gotta stop there, hell they have rooms too..Even Bristoe went there, but they kicked him out...

I had drinks in the Norther Lights Saloon next door last summer, they have a little food there as well.

There is a little buzz of tourist right there being it's so well known but it's the gateway to the remotest region of the park if you just insist on hiking there.......rental agreement....it's not a paved road in the park there either.
This is where you'd find access to the remote Kintla and Bowman Lakes. You can drive there but I just can't recommend the camping.
Yeah, it'll be slower on this side of the park but the park is where you have more negative interactions with bears.

I don't care what anyone tells ya.
Grizzlies have killed eight people in Glacier, bears, both black and grizzly, have injured about 100 more people.
I've camped and hunted all around that park with little incident but you'd never catch me camping in that park, I don't even like to hike there because of the conditioned bears. Too many people in one spot mixing and mingling around these bears make for bears you're gonna have trouble with...

Now where was I.......did I mention Polebridge Merc's bakery? It's amazing.....

Oh yeah, the North Fork road...I can only assume you're looking at the maps if you are serious about this trip.
Look west of the North Fork Road.
All those drainage have a host of hiking trails and of course free camping because we own the land, it's National Forest.

This is another playground for locals..

>>>>>>> More later if requested....
Posted By: irfubar Re: Glacier National Park, - 01/16/20
Did somebody mention Polebridge? smile
You will find yummy pastries here....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Oh and Bowman lake... this is a favorite spot of mine. I must disagree with Jeff on camping at this location, they have a nice and relatively large campground in close proximity to the lake.
I recommend taking a kayak.
The campground is first come first served, the trick is to be there no later than 10;00am , people will be leaving and you will have a choice of spots. Great hiking trails around Bowman also.
I would skip Kintla, tiny campground and limited views.

Bowman....

Everything east of the divide is prettier and more accessible. Plus air quality is less of a crap shoot.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Glacier National Park, - 01/16/20
Wife took this pic from the Red Jammer bus tour a couple years ago.

Posted By: kroo88 Re: Glacier National Park, - 01/16/20
We’re currently building a new lodge up at Summit. That’s in the SE corner of the park near Marias Pass. If you need any help with accomadations PM me.[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: 1minute Re: Glacier National Park, - 01/16/20
While one is at it, anyone bothered to fish around/in Glacier? I never feel like I've been on vacation if I can't get in one or two days of angling each week.
Posted By: las Re: Glacier National Park, - 01/16/20
We might be pushing it a bit- late September, early October. Spending a few days with wife's cousin, Les, who lives in Columbia Falls, I think.

Last time they got together, they went hiking on one of the mountain trails and were followed for a mile or so by a Griz. Wife had forgotten her bear spray in the car, Les had never investigated how to use his.... they got to a stone trail cabin and the door was locked. The bear got to 150 yards or so and decided they were no longer interesting and turned off.

It may have been the Dachshund....
I don't care what they say. I'm packing something heavier than spray if we go hiking. Just in case the current Dachshund wants to start something..... smile

Originally Posted by JeffA

BTW, how old are the kids. I'm working up a list of options, ages would be helpful.

22 and 20. Males, athletic as can be.
JeffA, Camping is not likely at all, We love to camp, but not on this trip.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Glacier National Park, - 01/16/20
Originally Posted by 1minute
While one is at it, anyone bothered to fish around/in Glacier? I never feel like I've been on vacation if I can't get in one or two days of angling each week.

The Southwest end of Bowman lake where the shallow green water ends and the deep water begins you can catch cutthroats on small Rapalas, spinners and spoons.

You and I both need answers on this........
If I knew if you considered camping an option my recommendations would be quite different.

If your flight arrives later in the day you could stay in town the first night just to get started.
https://kalispellgrand.com is about a affordable as it gets for anything decent and it's in the middle of town.
You can walk to outdoor shops and restaurants and the like, one of the hiking shops right there on main would have the bear spray you'll want to pick-up.

Glacier Park can really suck due to crowding, it's a day trip, make the run and get it over with, the surrounding area offers so much more.
Lunch or dinner at Lake Mcdonald Lodge ( https://www.usparklodging.com/glacier/lakemcdonald.php ) would serve you well on the way in or out.. The hotel rates just don't measure up to what it takes to deal with the congestion of the park.

We all have our favorites, I have a few.

The https://izaakwaltoninn.com is at the top of my list. It's on the southern end just across the border from the Park.
It's slower there, a good spot to start and end you park day tour, you can make the loop from east to west through the park and the Izaak Walton will be in the middle.
Be aware, there is going to be big time road construction on the parks east side for the next two summers.
It's a federal government project, stand by for disastrous traffic conditions.

Great food, nice little bar, and plenty of impeccably maintained restored historic value. There is nothing else in the immediate vicinity except an amazing river, the Goat Lick and a few hiking trails. You're in the river drainage so everything is uphill from there and steep when it comes to hikes.
It's a Cross Country ski lodge, that's their mainstay so summers are just slow for them..

Now for some hiking....

Hungry Horse Reservoir, this is another slow, outta the way location that'll be tourist free. It's the locals playground... there is 170 miles of shoreline with 110 miles of road that loops around it. This is also on the southern boarder of the park.

Check your rental car agreement to be sure these back country areas I mention are not forbidden, all those cars have GPS locators on them, they'll know where you've been....

Places like this are the real real Western Montana. If you're camping, it's all for free.
For hiking, fishing, camping and even hunting, it's all there. look at the maps, do your research and you'll be overwhelmed with the opportunities this area has to offer.

I could pinpoint some great camping areas, there are developed spots with fees but you're in a national forest, you can camp anywhere you like for free other than their developed locations.

There are a couple lodges that you can book into there.

They are both good but funny..http://www.spottedbear.com gets great reviews but it's gonna be spendy.

Then there is the https://www.diamondrranch.com . This one is more intriguing, they don't know how to advertise, never have.
I've seen them written up as "one of Montanas best kept secrets" that's not what I'd want my place of business to be know for.

I suppose that's why they are always slow, nobody knows they are there..
The place is for sale, maybe they've just lost interest but whatever it is makes for a quite slow and more than tranquil layover.

They have these cool little cabins, this is the view off a back deck..
[Linked Image from media-cdn.tripadvisor.com]

That's the Spotted Bear river they are sitting on, great fishing, amazing hiking trails yada yada.. You can book a horse trip to one of nearby mountain lakes even.. They have good food, but don't go looking for normal conveniences....like electricity, they ain't got none... I think you could negotiate a family rate with them but getting one of the cabins overlooking the river is a must.

Now for along the western border of the park...

Like the southern park border where the Middle Fork of the Flathead river defines it, the North Fork of the Flathead defines the parks western border.

There's another road...check car rental agreement...it follows the river all the way to the Canadian border.

Up the Northfork road much like Hungry Horse, you're in a National Forest looking across the river at the Park.
This is where you'll find the iconic Polebridge Mercantile OMG what a bakery..
You gotta stop there, hell they have rooms too..Even Bristoe went there, but they kicked him out...

I had drinks in the Norther Lights Saloon next door last summer, they have a little food there as well.

There is a little buzz of tourist right there being it's so well known but it's the gateway to the remotest region of the park if you just insist on hiking there.......rental agreement....it's not a paved road in the park there either.
This is where you'd find access to the remote Kintla and Bowman Lakes. You can drive there but I just can't recommend the camping.
Yeah, it'll be slower on this side of the park but the park is where you have more negative interactions with bears.

I don't care what anyone tells ya.
Grizzlies have killed eight people in Glacier, bears, both black and grizzly, have injured about 100 more people.
I've camped and hunted all around that park with little incident but you'd never catch me camping in that park, I don't even like to hike there because of the conditioned bears. Too many people in one spot mixing and mingling around these bears make for bears you're gonna have trouble with...

Now where was I.......did I mention Polebridge Merc's bakery? It's amazing.....

Oh yeah, the North Fork road...I can only assume you're looking at the maps if you are serious about this trip.
Look west of the North Fork Road.
All those drainage have a host of hiking trails and of course free camping because we own the land, it's National Forest.

This is another playground for locals..

>>>>>>> More later if requested....

Outstanding post, thanks for the time.

Oh yeah....Rainbows, Cut's, Lakers, Pike, Perch, even the Bull Trout are making a come back on the Lower end of Hungry Horse Reservoir. I was fly casting there for Cut's this past fall and saw a few Bull's but everyone I spoke to seemed to have a Bull Trout story to tell.

That's Lake McDonald in the park right here..

Lakers are the thing there..

Here is what we see outside the park for Lakers

Again, outside the park...but nearby.

JeffA, Camping is not likely at all, We love to camp, but not on this trip.

Gotcha....
I've made two phone calls for lodging, it appears there are some limited availability throughout in the actual park...( I think).....

Apgar village lodge.
Glacier Park Lodge.
Saint Marys village(?)
Saint Marys glacier cabins.

Now, due to timing, I can not commit to actual dates just yet, in the event the park lodging fills in the next 2 weeks, It appears there is lots of VRBO and such in the near vicinity. I'm not going to panic or book just yet.

This came together yesterday rather quickly and I have little research into it at this point,

However, seeing just the few pictures posted here,

It's on! We be going to GNP in late June or likely early July....

Appreciate everyone's advice, and feel free to keep it coming.
Again, outside the park...but nearby.

Gotcha....

Oh Hell ya....

Just tell me where and how......
OK, where was I.....oh yeah, I was babbling about the North Fork of the Flathead river along the Parks western boundary.

Did I mention the bakery at Pole Bridge Merc? It's pretty good, lot of carb's to fuel a hikers day..

If you make it there, you can keep heading north until you get to Red Meadow Creek road then turn west.
This can make the drive a loop eventually bringing you back to town, check your maps and it's obvious as to how to make that happen. I found the roads to be in great condition just a few months ago.
Once you make it to the top of Red Meadow there is this really nice little lake..

We hiked up to the top of the mountain behind the lake and this is what we saw......

See, ya don't have to be in the Park to find spectacular views. The park just has more people...

After I complete this North Fork/Red Meadow loop drive, I end up in Whitefish..

This is where the real food and bars are at, I stay at the Lodge at Whitefish Lake I can already hear it, everybody hates Whitefish. Well TFB, the lodge is nice, there is Elk Tenderloin on the menu in the restaurant, the rooms are grand, and there is a guide waiting at the dock to take me out chasing Lakers, you just can't get that everywhere..If you book a morning fishing trip, request Josh as your guide, tell him some crazy fool from Alaska told you to ask for him and then go into a rant about why you don't tip guides, he'll love ya for it.....

I'm hearin' you on the VBRO option and think it'd be the better choice being there are 4 of you. There are a few good ones around but be aware, this entire area gets busy in July and it is going to book up, get committed to some dates as soon as you can, the good ones get booked first.

Oh yeah, if it's your kinda thing, there are many raft companies offering trips on all three forks of the Flathead River.
If ya never done it maybe you should give it a try..

Kenneth, you should just hire Jeff.

As for grizzly bears, they're smart and pretty much adapted to hiding from people. Only if surprised in close quarters do they freak out, or during hunting season when they want to fight for your gutpile. Forest Service guy was killed mountain biking a couple of years ago, he downhilled right into an unknown bear. So the thing is to be alert, especially when things get thick. Make a little noise and their super-hearing will pick it up.

Biggest scare I ever had was in some brush along the Middle Fork, I was photographing trains, hiking for an angle and I locked eyes with a big bear that was just watching me. I said a cuss word, kept walking while looking off to the side of the bear until we couldn't see each other any more. You know that cold rush? Yep, I had one. Coming back down I jangled my keys enthusiastically, and there it was, a new pile of poo right on the trail.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Glacier National Park, - 01/17/20
Originally Posted by las

It may have been the Dachshund....
I don't care what they say. I'm packing something heavier than spray if we go hiking. Just in case the current Dachshund wants to start something..... smile

I pity the bear that dares to anger that dog!!
smile
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Glacier National Park, - 01/17/20
The rafting trip is a go also,

any one better than the others?
Posted By: hunter4623 Re: Glacier National Park, - 01/17/20
Great info. I’m driving out in the spring. Going to spend a couple months hanging around, trying to kill a spring bear, looking for a house, hiking, camping and just enjoying myself.
At this time it looks like non-stop flights from ORD to Kalispell are available, and reasonably priced.... Time to melt some plastic........

Rental car, any car, or truck type vehicle needed?
Posted By: JeffA Re: Glacier National Park, - 01/17/20
I think any SUV would do you fine on all the back roads I mentioned.

I use to support Great Norther Raft Co. but too much times gone by, I'd have to check current reviews and go with who seems to be on top. Glacier Raft can be good too but all those guides jump from one outfit to the other and your trip will be at the mercy of the guide you end up with. Just stick with any of the larger outfits and you'll do OK.

On the fishing, I'll get back with you.
I'm trying to balance between this thread and the one I started in the Alaska forum and I'm busy drumming up another post to entertain those guys, they are demanding...I've had company in and out all day to boot......

hunter4623,
For spring bear, those roads around Hungry Horse Res. and the North Fork road can be good, Thompson River road west of Kalispell on Hwy. 2 can be productive as well.
All three provide free camping and decent fishing, there are Brown Trout in Thompson River....

Posted By: hunter4623 Re: Glacier National Park, - 01/17/20
Thanks for the tip Jeff
Hopefully they pass the measure that limits the rafts on the NF and permits are required. It's been mighty crowded.

You're joking, right?
Honestly, if a family vacation is what you're after forget the NF. Just like Yellowstone, there is a reason that specific ground was designated special enough for a park. Yeah the surrounding area is cool, but the park is badass. And it's set up with bathrooms, rest stops, etc. If you spend all your time driving around in pine forests on dirt roads trying to find this lake, or that lake, you can probably do that in WI. And the roads are not to be taken for granted.

Enjoy your trip, it's a beautiful piece of America.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Glacier National Park, - 01/17/20
Whats the NF?
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Whats the NF?

National Forest.

Or welfare hunting ground if you ask the Texans. smile
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: Glacier National Park, - 01/17/20
We were there in September.

The park is amazing.
Going to the sun road is awesome the first two times.
Trail of the Cedars is an easy hike and turned out to be my favorite.
People are everywhere.
There is no parking.
Plan on getting anywhere you want to go before sunrise. We got to the parking lot for Hidden Lake a half hour before sunrise and the lot was half full. An hour later people were being turned away and it was still like that hours later.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Whats the NF?

National Forest.

Peasant.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Glacier National Park, - 01/17/20
Honestly, if a family vacation is what you're after forget the NF. Just like Yellowstone, there is a reason that specific ground was designated special enough for a park. Yeah the surrounding area is cool, but the park is badass. And it's set up with bathrooms, rest stops, etc. If you spend all your time driving around in pine forests on dirt roads trying to find this lake, or that lake, you can probably do that in WI. And the roads are not to be taken for granted.

Enjoy your trip, it's a beautiful piece of America.

This^^^^^^^^
Posted By: deflave Re: Glacier National Park, - 01/17/20
More than one rental vehicle has sat alongside the North Fork with their second flat tire. All in pursuit of the elusive cinnamon roll baked by the most recent owner of the Polebridge Merc.

Much like Yellowstone, there are things in Glacier that you can't see anywhere else. Anything on the west side of glacier is a massive clusterfugk. Any trailhead coming off Logan's Pass, is a clusterfugk.

Many Glacier and all of its day hikes will be remembered forever.

I'm not guessing.
Oh, and taking your adult male children somewhere is not a "family vacation" LOL.
Posted By: kennymauser Re: Glacier National Park, - 01/17/20
If you want to check out Glacier year round ,there are 4 or 5 or more up to date web cams in the park.
Just go to Montana Live cams on Bigskyfishing .com and most all of the cameras in the state including the highway cams are listed.
Most are up to the minute cams, but the ones in Glacier are the best.

You won't regret looking at https://www.bigskyfishing.com/montana-web-cams/

You're welcome,
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Whats the NF?

National Forest.

Peasant.

Paisano to you hombre. laugh
Also, they posted something on Instagram about significant road closures this summer. I’d definitely check on that.
I've made two phone calls for lodging, it appears there are some limited availability throughout in the actual park...( I think).....

Apgar village lodge.
Glacier Park Lodge.
Saint Marys village(?)
Saint Marys glacier cabins.

Now, due to timing, I can not commit to actual dates just yet, in the event the park lodging fills in the next 2 weeks, It appears there is lots of VRBO and such in the near vicinity. I'm not going to panic or book just yet.

This came together yesterday rather quickly and I have little research into it at this point,

However, seeing just the few pictures posted here,

It's on! We be going to GNP in late June or likely early July....

Appreciate everyone's advice, and feel free to keep it coming.

Swiftcurrent Motor Inn.

And you can thru hike with a backcountry pass (easily acquired) and the shuttle will take you from Logan's back to Many Glacier.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Glacier National Park, - 01/17/20
They are gonna go right by Sleeping Buffalo.

Not saying that the park is not nice. I guess I was there years ago.......was probably okay. There was some dumbass goat that got a lot of attention from a lot of dumbass tourists.

Especially if you like everything to look like the thing you just saw.......and like being around 400,000 people who want to just "get away"..............

Just saying..........throw some cash out the window as you go by. The local food bank could use a little spending bread..............
They are gonna go right by Sleeping Buffalo.

Not saying that the park is not nice. I guess I was there years ago.......was probably okay. There was some dumbass goat that got a lot of attention from a lot of dumbass tourists.

Especially if you like everything to look like the thing you just saw.......and like being around 400,000 people who want to just "get away"..............

Just saying..........throw some cash out the window as you go by. The local food bank could use a little spending bread..............

I stopped at sleeping buffalo to go pee.... it was awesome, the tourist didn't even seem to mind.... oh wait , nobody was around..... wish they would put a bathroom in... wink

And you can thru hike with a backcountry pass (easily acquired) and the shuttle will take you from Logan's back to Many Glacier.

Well that's really nice, just like being in the city, you can catch a shuttle and go do anything if you have a permission pass. But then I'd suppose it'd be a good idea since......

Originally Posted by Flathead Beacon
Glacier Park Sees Second Busiest July on Record

Sep 16, 2019
Records released this week indicate more than 2.45 million people have visited the park in 2019. The figure is a nearly 2% increase over the number of visitors during the same period in 2018.
After a year of record-shattering visitation at Glacier National Park last month, 905,959 people entered the park, a 10.3 percent decrease in visitation from July 2017 when the park ushered more than 1 million visitors through its gates — the highest monthly total in the park’s history.
With the increasing number of summer visitors, the high concentration of people in the park has created issues with traffic and congestion. Park officials have been reporting full parking lots at Logan Pass, Avalanche and other popular locations. Campgrounds throughout the park are also filled with eager, if sometimes, out-of-luck visitors. In May of this year, Superintendent Jeff Mow told the Beacon that the park advises summer visitors to “have a back-up” plan for their Montana trips.
To better counter the surging rates, NPS officials provide real-time updates regarding closures and restrictions in the park through Glacier’s social media channels. Park officials have also converted parking spots in the Logan Pass lot to short-term spaces of one or two hours to cycle visitors in and out.
The summer months of June, July and August are historically the busiest time of year for the park — a trend that remains true so far this year.

That's sweet, being the entire state of Montana has a population of 1,086,759 as of 2020 it's like double the population base crammed into one spot with a single two lane road to cruise around on...

Different strokes for different folks..I guess

[Linked Image from nps.gov]

image complements of Glacier NPS website page on dealing with crowds
Oh yeah, and about those park bears...................

Surviving a Grizzly Attack in Glacier National Park

On August 25, 2005, Johan Otter and his 18-year-old daughter, Jenna, hiked right into the worst nightmare of any Glacier National Park backpacker: a 300-pound mother grizzly protecting two cubs. Here, in his own words, the 45-year-old physical therapist from Escondido, CA, shares the incredible story of their life-and-death struggle.

Jenna saw the grizzly a second or two before I did. We were on the Grinnell Glacier Trail, and there was a 20-foot-tall boulder sticking out. Jenna was about to walk around it when the bear turned the corner.

She could've reached out and touched its snout. It was within 5 feet of her, and she could see that it had two cubs. Jenna's first response was to run away. She took about two steps back toward me. I was still walking up, unaware of what was happening–until she shouted, "Oh no!"

The first thing I saw was this big furry thing. It was running straight at me. I remember the fangs and the claws. I never even saw the cubs.

I instinctively stepped in front of Jenna. My response was just to stand my ground and not move.

The bear immediately went for my left thigh: whomp, bite. It mouthed right in. I looked down at what was happening; it was just surreal. At first I thought, what is that: a big badger? Then I thought: No, it's a bear. Some weird thoughts were running through my mind. Like that the bear was not as big as I might have imagined. Then it bit me again in the leg.

We had driven to Glacier from Escondido to celebrate Jenna's high school graduation. She was getting ready to go off to the University of California at Irvine in a few weeks.

The two of us were pretty serious hikers. We'd often do 10-milers with my wife and younger daughter, then Jenna and I'd go a bit farther. She danced and was really fit, and I was a marathoner. Our goal for this trip was to really go for it.

This day, we decided to hike to Grinnell Glacier; it's about 11 miles round-trip.
We were talking loud. I'd been taking my time filming a golden eagle, but Jenna kept nudging me to keep on pace. We were hoping to hike to Iceberg Lake later that afternoon.

After the bear bit me, I didn't fight back. I couldn't. There wasn't half a second. It was just impact. Plus, I got thrown off my feet. I knew the smartest tactic was to get into the fetal position, but there was no time. And then I thought: Shoot, my vital organs are totally exposed.

The bear was throwing me around. I looked down the trail and decided the best thing to do was to get myself off the slope. And that's what I did. I ripped my body free from its jaws and then rolled down a steep embankment over rocks and bushes. I tumbled about 20 feet.

I came to a stop and took a breath. Then the realization came: OK, I'm here. There's no bear, there's no Jenna. Those two are together. That's not good.

I was carrying a daypack with a camera, water, and snacks. There had been bear spray in the loose mesh side pocket, but it was knocked out of my pack when the grizzly first struck.

It's unbelievable how fast grizzlies barrel up and down slopes. I went into a fetal position, and the bear latched onto my pack, lifting me up and down like I weighed nothing. I'm 6 foot 1 and 185 pounds.

When a grizzly attacks, it doesn't bite, hold on, then shake back and forth like a dog. It bites and pulls away, bites and pulls away.
Half the time I was in its mouth, and I could see what it was doing, that it was pulling my flesh, but there was no pain. I could also see blood, though, and I knew it was bad.

I decided to throw myself away from it again, and I fell another 30 feet. I didn't time my fall–I just jerked away. I landed face-up, which wasn't ideal, but you can't plan these things. The bear got right back on top of me, so I grabbed it by the throat. I was facing it. Holding onto it. It was one big block of muscle that I knew I couldn't control. This animal was incredibly strong.

I grabbed a rock because I recalled hearing that if you hit a bear's nose, sometimes it will back off. At this point, I still didn't know there were cubs. Grizzlies aren't usually interested in people as food.
So I curled back into protective mode, but this time it got more aggressive, gnawing and scratching my head. It felt like a dog digging for a bone. It was also biting my right arm.

I was face-to-face with the grizzly for about 3 to 5 minutes, but I don't remember what it smelled like. I don't recall any sounds, any grunting or growling.
The turning point was when I felt a tooth going into the bottom of my skull at the nape of my neck. When it went in, I heard a cracking sound and felt a lot of pressure. Then it hit me: Yes, I'm keeping this thing with me, but I'm going to be dead soon. So I thought, I need to get out of this situation. I launched myself downhill again and fell another 20 feet. I stopped in a rock chute on the edge of a cliff. My feet were strongly planted on rocks, my back into the mountain, and there were two rock outcroppings above me. Below me, there was a drop of several hundred feet.

The bear came down and just looked at me. I didn't move or make a sound. Maybe it thought I was dead. I was sitting there preparing to kick it off the mountain if it came after me again. I wasn't in a vulnerable position, even though I was really banged up. Honestly, I don't know if I could ever kick a bear off a mountain, but I was prepared to try. Instead it looked down at me and walked away. I never saw it again.

Then I heard Jenna scream. That was the worst sound I've ever heard.

The bear had gone back to Jenna. When it lunged at her, she extended her hands and grabbed it around the throat. I think that was when Jenna realized she needed to play dead instead. She quickly curled up in the fetal position. The bear bit her face and then her shoulder. She didn't flinch. It finally gave up and left, probably to retrieve its cubs.

After her initial scream, I didn't hear anything more, so I figured the bear wasn't on her. But I didn't make a sound myself for fear that it would turn back to me. At this point, I couldn't do anything to help Jenna, because I was pretty beaten up. I assessed my wounds. I didn't see any arterial bleeds, but when I touched the top of my head, I felt nothing but bone. I covered my left eye to find out if I could see anything out of my right eye, which had been clawed, and I managed to make out Grinnell Lake.

I waited a little longer, then I yelled for Jenna. She called back immediately. And her voice was strong. That was the best sound I've ever heard.

After Jenna fell, she had crawled under some bushes and next to a rock for some protection. We were about 30 feet apart. The first thing I asked when I called to her was how her eyes were. Fine, she said, but she had wounds on her face and her shoulder.

I crawled to a ledge, leaving my backpack and a trail of blood behind. I pulled the hood of my jacket over my head, just to cover up my scalp so people wouldn't have to see me. A ranger told me afterwards that I actually created a seal to stop the bleeding.

Jenna and I were only 30 feet apart, but we were too weak to get to each other. And later, when the rescuers came, they didn't want to move us. So I didn't see Jenna until after my surgery more than a week later. But that was a good thing. When I saw pictures of how I looked, it was bad. I was covered in blood, and you could see my skull.

For the next 45 minutes, we yelled for help.

I don't remember much until a guy came sliding down the mountain with his eyes wide open. His wife ran back down the trail and eventually found a ranger-led group on its way to the glacier. That ranger radioed for help.

It was a long 2 hours before medical personnel reached us. During the wait, more hikers stopped. Two boys retrieved my backpack and camera. Others covered us up with their jackets. We were bloody, but they didn't care.

My blood pressure dropped to 80/30, and I lost about half of my blood. An artery going through my scalp was torn. But pain was not an issue. Yes, I was hurting, but it wasn't something I concentrated on. I was just so happy to see people.

I was taken to Kalispell Regional Medical Center, where x-rays revealed I'd broken my neck in three places and needed to be kept still. An hour later, I was flown to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle and went right into 7 hours of surgery. Jenna stayed in Kalispell, where a physician who's world-renowned for treating bear bites worked on her. There are exotic parasites that live in a bear's mouth that could have killed us. Somehow, neither of us got an infection.

My list of injuries was long. About 60 percent of my head was "de-gloved"–the bear essentially took my scalp off. Its claw fractured my right eye socket and disrupted an eye muscle. One bite snapped my right wrist. I also broke my nose and two vertebrae; I had a compound fracture of my second cervical vertebra; I had bite wounds all over; I ruptured my left biceps; and I had lacerations on my thighs and shins.

Jenna broke her back in two places, but they were stable fractures–meaning they were in place and wouldn't easily move. She had two big bites. One was from the corner of her mouth to the top of her head, and the other was on her right shoulder. She also lacerated her ankle nearly down to the Achilles tendon when she fell.

People have asked me how I feel about bears after the attack. Well, I don't find them as cute as I used to.

https://www.backpacker.com/survival...-grizzly-attack-in-glacier-national-park

Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

You're joking, right?

yes.
Whats the NF?

National Forest.

You're saying, Focus on Glacial National Park, and avoid wasting to much time trying to learn the personality and size of the surrounding National Forest?

Well that's really nice, just like being in the city, you can catch a shuttle and go do anything if you have a permission pass. But then I'd suppose it'd be a good idea since......

How do you get back from one of those rafting trips?

A wingsuit?

And you don't have to take a shuttle. It's just available in places like the park if a person doesn't care to hike the same ground twice.
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
We were there in September.

There is no parking.
Plan on getting anywhere you want to go before sunrise. We got to the parking lot for Hidden Lake a half hour before sunrise and the lot was half full. An hour later people were being turned away and it was still like that hours later.

Geez, Makes me pause on going at the time were thinking of going.
Posted By: kroo88 Re: Glacier National Park, - 01/17/20
Last year the Many Glacier area would be closed off completely (unless you had.a reservation for a boat tour or guided hike) due to gridlock.

The road construction is expanding this summer. Here’s a link to some areas affected.

https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/manyglacier.htm
Posted By: Seafire Re: Glacier National Park, - 01/17/20
Originally Posted by kid0917

got mine just before they were going up to $80 courtesy of the Obama Administration IIRC...

Paid $10 for mine...in fact at several parks on the way home from Arizona, bought a couple more just in case I lost one..

Have one in each of the three vehicles I normally drive...the old 4 Runner, the Pilot and the Camry...
Posted By: Windfall Re: Glacier National Park, - 01/17/20
Not sure if anyone mentioned Amtrak yet as an alternative to flying. Sis lives in Whitefish and the train stops there on the way west to Seattle. I rented a car at the Kalispell airport and just the train ride was a great, way less than flying and faster than driving. Dad drove us on the Going To The Sun Highway when we were kids, but the last time I did it we took the red bus and left the white nickel driving to a non-flatlander.
Posted By: SBTCO Re: Glacier National Park, - 01/17/20

How do you get back from one of those rafting trips?

A wingsuit?

And you don't have to take a shuttle. It's just available in places like the park if a person doesn't care to hike the same ground twice.

The shuttle service is up in the air for now.

https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm

https://www.nps.gov/glac/learn/news...es-for-next-season-s-shuttle-service.htm
I am surprised nobody has mentioned Two Medicine. It is my favorite and often less crowded, although with Many Glacier being closed that may change
Originally Posted by Windfall
Not sure if anyone mentioned Amtrak yet as an alternative to flying. Sis lives in Whitefish and the train stops there on the way west to Seattle. I rented a car at the Kalispell airport and just the train ride was a great, way less than flying and faster than driving.

I was going to mention it when I made refrence to the Izzak Walton Inn but the OP had stated they would be arriving by air due to possible time restraints...

From the Izaak Waltons web site..

Getting to the Izaak Walton Inn by Rail on the Amtrak Empire Builder Train

About a quarter of guests at the Izaak Walton Inn arrive on an Amtrak passenger train: the Empire Builder. We are the last flagstop station on the entire line due to our history tied to the railroad and our unique location.

Our inn gives people anywhere between Portland, Oregon and Chicago, Illinois a chance to experience rail travel as it once was with a stop in an outdoor hotspot near Glacier National Park.

And if you want transportation beyond the tracks, we rent cars on site so you can turn your rail trip into a road trip.

Cars available to seat up to 7 guests max.
For car rental reservations please call 406-888-5700
Originally Posted by Windfall
Not sure if anyone mentioned Amtrak yet as an alternative to flying. Sis lives in Whitefish and the train stops there on the way west to Seattle. I rented a car at the Kalispell airport and just the train ride was a great, way less than flying and faster than driving. Dad drove us on the Going To The Sun Highway when we were kids, but the last time I did it we took the red bus and left the white nickel driving to a non-flatlander.

You took the AmTrak from Wisconsin to Whitefish and you enjoyed it?
Whats the NF?

National Forest.

You're saying, Focus on Glacial National Park, and avoid wasting to much time trying to learn the personality and size of the surrounding National Forest?

Unless you are on no schedule and have days/weeks to do whatever yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Otherwise you'll be spending a lot of your limited time driving through pine trees on flat inducing dirt roads. I've only driven through WI, but I'd be willing to bet if a guy just wanted to drive around looking at trees you could do it at home.
Kenneth,
You'll be fine. There's the park, the national forests, the Rocky front. If you're a sportsman family able to handle the usual outdoors unexpecteds, you'll be fine. Just don't surprise a bear.
By the way, when I hike with my Dad, we're both packing, both kinds. Bear whiz on one side, Mister Colt on the other. I'm not interested in a trip to Harborview and neither is Dad.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Glacier National Park, - 01/30/20
Are we better off looking at a September time frame? That is an option...

I do see several here mentioned many places close after Labor day,
like what? What would we be missing?

If it's food related, no problemo packing subs in a cooler for lunch...
Are we better off looking at a September time frame? That is an option...

I do see several here mentioned many places close after Labor day,
like what? What would we be missing?

If it's food related, no problemo packing subs in a cooler for lunch...

Less people, but it can get cold starting in mid september, like +10. The going to the sun road usually closes early to mid September, food will be limited. Early September is often nice, cool evenings warm days.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Glacier National Park, - 01/30/20
I'd go in September if given the choice, float trip would be ify then....
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Glacier National Park, - 05/25/20
Well guys, Any updates regarding the Park and the surrounding area?

I understand it's early in the season, and the CV-19 insanity,

But whats open?

What should be 'normal' by the end of June?

This vacation do-able or no?
Unknown at this point. Park is still closed right now
Unknown at this point. Park is still closed right now

Any idea what CV19 will be affecting once the park opens?

or still week to week unknowns?
Posted By: deflave Re: Glacier National Park, - 05/25/20

I would not be planning a vacation centered around a National Park this year.

Adjust fire.

Adjust fire.

Need reasons.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Glacier National Park, - 05/25/20
From when I went 4 years ago:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...-your-opinion-where-to-stay#Post11193682

Deflave is on to something. I saw on the news that RV purchases and rentals are up a gazillion percent.

Adjust fire.

Need reasons.

The National Parks are ran by fugk tards.

The season will be highly unpredictable.
Flave, I just reread your Browning comments to my wife from that link I posted. It was 4 years ago. She remembers it and we had another good laugh this morning. I was clueles............until we drove through Browning. The whole family laughed as we drove through.
Tag
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Glacier National Park, - 05/25/20
Trav hit that right. I took my daughter there last year end of july.roads were very crowded,they atleast have the common sense to not allow RV's on the Going to the Sun highway up to and over Logan Pass. Take lots of money you'll need it. Better plan it and seek reservations for your stays. Yes the scenery is awesome. Personally I liked the road and scenery up thru the Swan valley better. The Seeley lake national forest campgrounds were nice. Get right down to it the nicest places in Montana are free but getting there costs$$$$. MB
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Flave, I just reread your Browning comments to my wife from that link I posted. It was 4 years ago. She remembers it and we had another good laugh this morning. I was clueles............until we drove through Browning. The whole family laughed as we drove through.

LOL

I've definitely been worst places. But none of them were as comical.

Hope you all had a good trip.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Glacier National Park, - 05/25/20

The National Parks are ran by fugk tards.

The season will be highly unpredictable.

100% agree, they could give a damn about your plans or if they are going to make money or not.

The management of our national parks should probably be turned over to private contractors that need to attract visitors while turning a buck.

But all that aside, The park service has been totally non-committal with their announcements, they just don't care.

Glacier National Park Is Temporarily Closed
Following guidance from the CDC and recommendations from state and local public health authorities in consultation with NPS Public Health Service officers, Glacier National Park is temporarily closed..

When Will the Park Open?
National parks have been making significant operational changes in response to the coronavirus outbreak. As a result of COVID- 19, Glacier National Park closed the entire park to visitors and recreational use on March 27, 2020.

The NPS is following White House guidelines for Opening Up America Again, a three-phased approach to assist state and local officials with safely reopening their economies, getting people back to work, and continuing to protect American lives blah blah blah blah blah blah,

If you want to read more non-answers and walk away still not knowing you can read the rest of their schit here >> https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/statusupdate.htm

BUT......

The surrounding National Forest may offer an alternative if the Park Service falls on their face.

Flathead National Forest tips for playing outdoors this spring as Campgrounds and Cabin Openings are Phased in by Memorial Day

Flathead National Forest and concessionaire Flathead Valley Campgrounds are working hard to open developed fee campgrounds over the next three weeks, with most sites anticipated to fully open by Memorial Day weekend. Rental cabin facilities will also begin a phased reopening, expected on or before Memorial Day weekend based on seasonal availability and facility conditions. Currently, dispersed camping is available in developed sites in many non-fee campgrounds.

More of their crap here >>> https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/flathead/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD734585

To each his own but Glacier Park just sucks a big one.
Even though some of the best views and features the area has to offer are inside the parks boundaries there is plenty more to be had in the surrounding NF areas that are amazing but without the crowds of tourist and funky little park rangers policing you along the way.

Anything Glacier Park has to offer is ruined by having to deal with the crowds and their management system.

The National Forest Service has it's low points as well when it comes to management but at least they are being a little more committing with the re-opening of their services this year.

I recall you had plans for a raft trip, a call to one of them should answer your questions on their operations this year, they either have their operating permits or not by now,

Low and behold, I did a quick search on the two largest raft companies there (Great Northern and Glacier Raft) to see what they had posted on their sites regarding the 2020 season and found this posted on one of their sites.......

https://www.mtpr.org/post/glacier-national-park-confirms-june-opening

Wonder why the fu_ck the park can't post that on their own web page??
It'd just be too easy I suppose.......
JeffA, always the goldmine of info.....Appreciate it.
No shuttle service, 40% less staff, Airline bullschitt,

oh boy, decisions must be made soon here......
I work with the NPS all the time.

I would not plan a vacation to a NP this season.

They are 100% agenda driven. And they could (or will) act accordingly.
The biggest issue will be with hotel and motel rooms if the Park bails on opening their lodges and camping facilities.

Book quick or you'll be SOL, The https://izaakwaltoninn.com is saying they will open on May 29th and currently have their rates slashed way down. You'd never be sorry you booked there....

I predict all available rooms and commercial campgrounds in the area to book-up all at the same time once the Park makes it's official announcement of their opening....

Seize the moment....
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Glacier National Park, - 05/25/20
The biggest issue will be with hotel and motel rooms if the Park bails on opening their lodges and camping facilities.

Book quick or you'll be SOL, The https://izaakwaltoninn.com is saying they will open on May 29th and currently have their rates slashed way down. You'd never be sorry you booked there....

I predict all available rooms in the area to book all at the same time once the Park makes it's official announcement of their opening....

Seize the moment....

Food used to be okay.
I work with the NPS all the time.

I would not plan a vacation to a NP this season.

They are 100% agenda driven. And they could (or will) act accordingly.

If he falls back on what the National Forest has to offer and experiences it, he'd never go to that park again...

I predict all available rooms in the area to book all at the same time once the Park makes it's official announcement of their opening....

Seize the moment....

Food used to be okay.

Was in October last year.....
It’s already busy at the campgrounds etc. going to be crowded as fugk on the surrounding NF if the park doesn’t open. Unless you have reservations at a forest service cabin and a week or so to drive around seems like a waste to me.
It’s already busy at the campgrounds etc. going to be crowded as fugk on the surrounding NF if the park doesn’t open. Unless you have reservations at a forest service cabin and a week or so to drive around seems like a waste to me.

The Park is opening and 95% of the tourist don't drive off the pavement.

Seize the moment....

Food used to be okay.

Was in October last year.....

I remember the train tracks being the most interesting thing about the place.

That and a hummingbird feeder.

Pretty sure Kenneth is going to be in the tourist category.

LOL

The park will open at some point is accurate, I was referring to his time frame. Tourists go off pavement all summer long. All over the damned place.
Dad's two favorite places are Alice creek in Lincoln and Hungry Horse.

I dont think Hungry Horse is in the park though.

LOL

Not sure how to interpret that.

#couldgoeitherway
I'm sure glad Jim, @happyguy, doesn't write reviews for a career.

Lighten up Francis.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Glacier National Park, - 05/25/20
Everybody from Wisconsin that wants to visit Montana should focus on Browning...... the real Montana....

If you venture to far from Browning you will be exposed to the dangerous hillbilly locals..... very dangerous, Browning is the best part of Montana.... it's all downhill from there

LOL

#couldgoeitherway

It's not a dig.

You live in Wisconsin. You are traveling to see GNP. There are things in GNP that you can't see anywhere else in the world. That's why it's GNP.

If you wanted to fugk off in the NF, you'd probably have a lot of fun doing so, but it's not something you and your family are set out to do.

One is bucket list. The other isn't.

LOL

#couldgoeitherway

It's not a dig.

You live in Wisconsin. You are traveling to see GNP. There are things in GNP that you can't see anywhere else in the world. That's why it's GNP.

If you wanted to fugk off in the NF, you'd probably have a lot of fun doing so, but it's not something you and your family are set out to do.

One is bucket list. The other isn't.

Agreed. Though giving my kidneys a workout on shidty roads staring a pine trees trying to find my way around new area with the fam in tow isn’t my idea of a good time. Unless as I mentioned earlier you reserved a NF cabin to stay in. Then I can see it.
Posted By: akasparky Re: Glacier National Park, - 05/25/20
Though giving my kidneys a workout on shidty roads staring a pine trees trying to find my way around new area with the fam in tow isn’t my idea of a good time. Unless as I mentioned earlier you reserved a NF cabin to stay in. Then I can see it.

So you are more of a paved road park guy then?
If I were bringing the whole fandamly I’d see the park. On my own? I’d see the park and what else there was to do out away from it.

But the thing is during the summer months you never get away from the traffic or crowds here. Lots of folks have the same idea. If I was to deal with crowds I’d see the main attraction.
YMMV
We did a loop of National parks on both sides of the border in'18. It included Glacier. The area that impressed me, I'm form BC where spectacular scenery is common place, the Kananaskis Provincial park in Alberta is a gem.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Glacier National Park, - 05/25/20
Only been the one time, mid August last year, a buddy in Great Falls took me on a day trip from Great Falls, just a quick up and down the Going to the Sun Highway from the Browning side..

Logan Pass looking East....

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Same view when we was there smile

The clouds piling up on the east side of the pass didn't make it over the top though....

The Going to the Sun Highway and Glacier is ridiculously and spectacularly beautiful in ways my iphone cannot even begin to do justice.

As noted, that road is crowded and the going slow in season.

Half the Park does lie in Canada, I don't know how that figures if you have firearms with you.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Half the Park does lie in Canada, I don't know how that figures if you have firearms with you.

FALSE

None of the park is in Canada. You can't drive across by accident. This is an incredibly ignorant comment.
Waterton (sp) is the National park on the other side of the border. Give the guy a break.

FALSE

None of the park is in Canada. You can't drive across by accident. This is an incredibly ignorant comment.

I wouldn't think it rated "incredibly ignorant", the park does lie right on the Border adjoining both major Canadian National and Provincial Parks right across the Line, same difference, I doubt there's a fence.

I didn't say you could "accidentally drive across", but didn't someone on this very thread mention crossing over?

Anyhoo... IIRC the Visitor Center atop Logan Pass flies both US and Canuck Flags (I dont recall any other). Just by chance I did capture the Canadian flag they have flying when taking a photo of these two ground squirrels (marmots??) near the parking lot.

I dunno, maybe we was just sucking up to the Canadians.

I did run into a LOT of Canadians in Yellowstone and Glacier.... seems like they headed south to find balmier climes smile

FALSE

I wouldn't think it rated "incredibly ignorant", the park does lie right on the Border adjoining both major Canadian National and Provincial Parks right across the Line, same difference, I doubt there's a fence.

I didn't say you could "accidentally drive across", but didn't someone on this very thread mention crossing over?

Anyhoo... IIRC the Visitor Center atop Logan Pass flies both US and Canuck Flags (I dont recall any other). Just by chance I did capture the Canadian flag they have flying when taking a photo of these two ground squirrels (marmots??) near the parking lot.

I did run into a LOT of Canadians in Yellowstone and Glacier.... seems like they headed south to find balmier climes smile

You cautioned as far as bringing a gun because the Park lies in both countries. Patently false. Utter and complete horseshidt. Don't pull your typical passive/aggressive [bleep] bullshidt. Just own it, you were pushing bad info to a guy asking about something you don't know a fugking thing about.

Not "same difference". One is a U.S. national park, one is in Canada. Fence has nothing do to with it, as the OP never said anything about going on a backcountry hike into the hinterlands on the international border. Your implications were plain to read. Just admit you were wrong and move on.
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
Waterton (sp) is the National park on the other side of the border. Give the guy a break.

This day in age international borders are a thing. Giving bad info to someone not familiar with the area needs to be called out.

I could be an azzhole and say something like "if I were Canadian I wouldn't care either" but I'm not that kinda guy. A Canadian park and a U.S. park are very very very different things.
If you were even remotely polite as I would be, if you hadn't called me a liar on here many times I might.

Other than that, folks can judge for themselves. they ain't retards.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Glacier National Park, - 05/25/20
Fun trip to Montana

You could spend two days in the park.
Not sure where you would like to spend your nights? Kalispell would work, it's not that far from the park.

You could also spend some time around Bigfork, it's a nice little town with restaurants and shops. Bigfork is located at the North end of Flathead Lake. The lake is approx. 29 miles long and about 15 miles wide at the widest points. You can also take in a boat tour of Flathead Lake.
Once you're in the Bigfork area, a trip down the Swan Highway (SR 83) it's always a good trip. Driving down the road to Seeley Lake. You could stop at the Double Arrow Lodge They have a great restaurant. (that is the last time I was there).
There are lots of fun things to see and do while in Northwest Montana.
I forgot this, while in Bigfork. You could take in a play. Always good entertainment. Bigfork Summer Playhouse.

I hope this was a help in someway.
Enjoy your time in Northwest Montana.

Take care
Posted By: DHN Re: Glacier National Park, - 05/25/20
Something nobody has mentioned yet - bring water or a good filter when hiking. The water in the little creeks looks clear and beautiful as hell, but giardia is very common. Don't screw up your trip with severe belly cramps and the schitts.
If you were even remotely polite as I would be, if you hadn't called me a liar on here many times I might.

Other than that, folks can judge for themselves. they ain't retards.

Let em judge. I standby anything I’ve posted here. If I’m wrong I’m not to proud to admit it. Guys come on here and ask all kinds of questions, I’m one of them. Hell I asked a question about wiring my shop and an electrician from back East I’d never seen post before pm’d me and gave me advice.

If we don’t police our own and call out bad info when it’s posted then this place is worthless.

I’m sorry you’re a bitch.

My apologies to The op for the sideline.
If my old memory serves me right, there was a small border crossing between the two parks, but it was closed when we were there in '18. I took my club cab long box p/u over the Going To the Sun Highway, the first day it opened in the spring. I had to drive with the mirrors in. chuckle. In '18 they still had a small glacier off in the distance.

Of Course Yellowstone. We haven't done any of the National Parks in California but Bryce and the Petrified Forest , I was impressed with.
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Fun trip to Montana

Take care

2 days? I could have up to 8 days available.........
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Glacier National Park, - 05/25/20
If you eat at a restaurant and see "Jo-Jo's" on the menu,..they're fried potatoes. Don't ask the waitress. She'll have a fit if you don't know what a Jo-Jo is.

In fact, the locals have a fit if a tourist says anything to them. I think it's some kind of local hobby to mean mouth the tourists.
I’m sorry you’re a bitch.

Can't please everyone.
The pumps are Polebridge Mercantile *are* functional and have gas in them.

Don't ask about that either.
I never ate so many fresh cherries in my life when we went. Huckleberry pie was a constant source of desert too. I love it out there. Nothing wrong with being a tourist the first couple of times you visit to hit the high points.
If you camp at Cut Bank Campground, a 1973 Ford LTD will arrive about dark and 9 Blackfeet Indians will get out of it, build a big fire, get drunk and be loud all night.

One of them thinks everything anybody says is funny and will repeatedly beller out, "HAW-HAW-HAWWWWWWWW!" over and over again.
That's what I know about Glacier National Park.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
The pumps are Polebridge Mercantile *are* functional and have gas in them.

Don't ask about that either.

Great bakery at Polebridge. Home bottom Ranch has a cool bar with great food. Pictures are there from the damage a Grizzly did breaking into the place. Good Huckleberry pie there too!
Have some wild huckleberry pie .Best pie in the world. I never noticed any thing with the locals, Always nice and helpful. I guess because I'm Canuck.

We have 20' travel trailer and prefer more rustic camping, Glacier wasn't that great, we were on the east side.
Well,...it's been 40 years since I've been there. Maybe the locals are nicer now.
Glacier Park *is* outrageously beautiful. My first wife and I spent over a week there in 1980 and hiked all day every day.

Then two people got et by a bear so we left.
Posted By: djs Re: Glacier National Park, - 05/25/20
Originally Posted by irfubar
Did somebody mention Polebridge? smile
You will find yummy pastries here....

Oh and Bowman lake... this is a favorite spot of mine. I must disagree with Jeff on camping at this location, they have a nice and relatively large campground in close proximity to the lake.
I recommend taking a kayak.
The campground is first come first served, the trick is to be there no later than 10;00am , people will be leaving and you will have a choice of spots. Great hiking trails around Bowman also.
I would skip Kintla, tiny campground and limited views.

Bowman....

Polebridge Mercantile is indeed a wonderful place to stop - rather out-of-the-way up the North Fork - but the cookies and pies are delicious. Stopped there in 2004, following a reunion in Missoula and, had cherry pie and a soft drink on the porch. Lots of memories. Thanks for posting the picture.

FALSE

Classic Birdfugker.

Dumb as ever.
If you eat at a restaurant and see "Jo-Jo's" on the menu,..they're fried potatoes. Don't ask the waitress. She'll have a fit if you don't know what a Jo-Jo is.

In fact, the locals have a fit if a tourist says anything to them. I think it's some kind of local hobby to mean mouth the tourists.

Which century did this take place?
Well,...it's been 40 years since I've been there. Maybe the locals are nicer now.

Never mind.

I see now it was just Boomer Babble.

FALSE

Classic Birdfugker.

Dumb as ever.

Sometimes ya just gotta take the hit.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Glacier National Park, - 05/25/20
2010 change in law allowing guns in Nat parks

https://www.nps.gov/articles/firearms-in-national-parks.htm
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Glacier National Park, - 05/25/20
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Fun trip to Montana

Take care

2 days? I could have up to 8 days available.........

You could look at other things I put in my post.
Originally Posted by kk alaska

Hang on here, You can carry in GNP?
You can carry in any National Park, That law came into effect under the rule of a president no one likes.
MT law for concealed carry, you only need a CCW in towns, railroad or lumber camps. Open carry OK. It's only a violation in those places if the gun is actually on your person, out of sight in a vehicle is also OK. By case law, a woman (or presumably, a funny-boy) carrying in a purse in the aforementioned places is not a violation.

No, we still hate you laugh

Yesterday at Polebridge, sucked big time

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
+1
DHN,

Happy Memorial Day buddy.

Hope all is well.
Originally Posted by DHN
MT law for concealed carry, you only need a CCW in towns, railroad or lumber camps. Open carry OK. It's only a violation in those places if the gun is actually on your person, out of sight in a vehicle is also OK. By case law, a woman (or presumably, a funny-boy) carrying in a purse in the aforementioned places is not a violation.

Well then, how many have a .44 strapped to their belt while hiking in the park?
DHN,

Hope all is well.

Likewise to you, my friend.
P.S. I'm still a little disappointed you never came over to shoot P-dogs.
Originally Posted by DHN

Well then, how many have a .44 strapped to their belt while hiking in the park?

It happens, but rare in my experience.
Originally Posted by DHN
DHN,

Hope all is well.

Likewise to you, my friend.
P.S. I'm still a little disappointed you never came over to shoot P-dogs.

There's always next year!
Hard to say what the park will be like. At the very least, you'll be able to drive Logan Pass (the Sun highway) probably starting in mid, late June. Park visitors tend to be middle to upper class whites and foreign tourists, I suspect there will be a major reduction in the internationals, which from my eyes and ears run about 20 percent of the total visitation.
On the other hand, "outdoor vacations" are gonna be "the thing" for people with resources, so I won't be totally surprised if it is a wall-to-wall record year. So, if you're gonna come, book now at a motel (forget RVing, that's going to be hot business) around the periphery.

I'm "local." Day use several times a year, predicated on weather.

One more thing, the guy who owns the Polebridge Merc is a Commie puke Democrat weasel. He was real high profile for a while, got a little excessive with his wife, and started a new career. The Merc is retro funk, but I'll never drop another penny there as long as he owns it.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Glacier National Park, - 05/26/20
Anyone who can't have a good time anywhere w/in 100 miles of GNP is a twat. Anyone who is frightened of waitresses or grizzlys when traveling in the mountains may be a twat. You can carry your concealed weapon anywhere you want, concealed means concealed. It has been legal to carry concealed in NPs for a long time if your permit is recognized by the the State in which the NP is located. Huckleberry pie, jam, lip balm etc. is god's gift to humanity.

mike r
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Glacier National Park, - 05/26/20
Are you Deflave's daddy?
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Glacier National Park, - 05/26/20

Well dang, who was it that brung up firearms? I forget wink gets complicated if you intend to cross into Canada tho.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Glacier National Park, - 05/26/20
Make sure you have plenty of beef stew before going in.

Shewwww buddy...

Rising sun camp store

Posted By: akasparky Re: Glacier National Park, - 05/26/20

Well dang, who was it that brung up firearms? I forget wink gets complicated if you intend to cross into Canada tho.

Yeah, and did ya know half that park was in Canada.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Glacier National Park, - 05/26/20
Originally Posted by akasparky

Yeah, and did ya know half that park was in Canada.

Stop feeding misinformation, this is critical, you’re gonna get half the ‘Fire locked up in seedy jails in Canada where the jailers send home ears along with the ransom note.
Great line, Birdwatcher.
OP, be glad you waved off the Park. It's awful, as
predicted. With the indians somehow allowed to close the east half, every swinging dick that wants to see GNP is coming through the couple entrances on this side, and there isn't any, or it's extremely limited overnight camping. There are mornings the quota of vehicles in the park is met by 7:45 in the morning. The result is thousands and thousands of people being told by park employees at the gate to "just drive back across the river and your in national forest and you can camp and do whatever you want." I feel bad for anybody that packed up the family and drove out here to see the Park this summer. I feel even worse for the locals that live up the North Fork. It's insane. Everyone with the same brilliant idea after they realize their options in the park are limited.
Not sure how it is in the Canadian half of Glacier National Park. Maybe someone can chime in on that.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Glacier National Park, - 07/12/20
OP, be glad you waved off the Park. It's awful, as
predicted. With the indians somehow allowed to close the east half, every swinging dick that wants to see GNP is coming through the couple entrances on this side, and there isn't any, or it's extremely limited overnight camping. There are mornings the quota of vehicles in the park is met by 7:45 in the morning. The result is thousands and thousands of people being told by park employees at the gate to "just drive back across the river and your in national forest and you can camp and do whatever you want." I feel bad for anybody that packed up the family and drove out here to see the Park this summer. I feel even worse for the locals that live up the North Fork. It's insane. Everyone with the same brilliant idea after they realize their options in the park are limited.

Just got back Sunday Night form a great trip in the Smokies and Pisgah national forest.......Maybe Glacier next year.

I'll start another thread, just to piss Clark off........................
I've driven through the Smokies, but never stopped and spent any time. Would like to someday, was beautiful from the road.
© 24hourcampfire