Home
Daughter is in the market for a new small SUV, and she's leaning heavily towards a Honda CR-V. I'm well aware Honda has built a reputation over the years of being extremely reliable. However, I notice that their offerings only include the CVT transmission, and I'm more than a little leery and skeptical of them.

What says the 'fire? Especially those whom are auto mechanics. Nothing to be concerned about, or look for something else sans the CVT?
Run away very fast! Unless Honda's are built better than Subaru or Nissan's I would stay away from them.
Run Forrest Run from a CVT. I know of 2 people that were burned by those abortions, thankfully my niece had her Nissan Rogue with CVT totalled before she was supposed to bring it in for a complete rebuild. I love hondas but my last one has a 5 speed tranny and all the new crap has CVT and turbos with the exception of their larger vehicles.
My only experience was in a Nissan Altima about 7 or 8 years ago. It was a rental. When you punched the gas, the engine would race but it wouldn't accelerate. It was very slow to pick up speed no matter how fast the engine was going. It was impossible to pass because you couldn't catch the guy you were passing. I HATED that thing.
My wife has a 2014 Honda crv, with automatic. Just turned 44,000 miles no problems to date. I don't know if it has the type automatic transmission you are talking about! The car is great in snow and gets an acceptable 36 hwy and 27 in town. I don't like it because of the seating, I don't fit well, azz to skinny, legs to long.

https://www.caranddriver.com/featur...s-are-getting-their-groove-back-feature/

...Audi, Honda, Hyundai, Subaru, and Toyota all make their own CVTs. Nissan owns a controlling interest in JATCO, the firm that supplies 49 percent of the world’s gear-free transmissions to Chrysler, GM, Mi­tsu­bishi, and Suzuki. In addition, nearly half of Nissan’s current U.S. models offer a JATCO-supplied CVT. ...

All of the CVT transmissions mentioned are made by JATCO. JATCO is an independent Toyoda company. There are two version of CVT made. One is continuous variable and the other stepped to simulate a shift. Both transmissions are good. You really need to use them in the mountains to appreciate. All of the US manufactures use the JATCO transmissions.
CVT's have been around for over 50 years, so it's not new technology by any means. Trying to make it work on a car hasn't been terribly successful, however. Instead of a normal gear train, a CVT consists of a glorified variable-ratio belt drive. Instead of using a wide rubber belt like industrial equipment does, automotive CVT's have a metal chain drive that resembles a wide fan belt, running between two variable-width pulleys. The width of the pulleys and the tension of the pulleys against the belt is computer controlled, and the fluid used is very specific to the transmission. It's also not able to be checked by the car owner, but that's typical of virtually all automatic transmissions made in the past 15 years or so. There will be at least one planetary gear set to provide reverse, but the transmission doesn't "shift" in the normal sense of things. Add all wheel drive like Subaru does, and things get even more complicated. CVT's usually don't require periodic servicing such as fluid and filter changes, and Subaru doesn't allow dealer service technicians to do anything other than change fluid, and perform a "computer relearn" procedure in case a warning light on the dash illuminates. Replacement under warranty has been extended on those vehicles to 100,000 miles, and no dealer repairs are authorized at all. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that Honda has similar servicing policies in place. My "part time" job is investigating warranty claims in 9 southeastern states.
Jerry
CVTs are the replacement for automatics in small SUVs and cars. They’re an expensive, complicated solution to a nonexistent problem. And cost $5K+ when they die.

If you want a new car, you’re stuck getting one. Best way to hedge your bets is Toyota. They’ve been making CVTs for over 20yrs, starting with the Prius, and have the bugs perfected out of their tranny better than the other company that supplies CVTs to Subaru, Nissan, Dodge, et. al.

I’d hunt for something with either a manual or true automatic. But it’s getting difficult to avoid them in smaller vehicles, so you might look for low mileage used. Good luck.
Been driving Subaru’s since 2013. Wish I’d been driving them all along. The most enjoyable and useful and efficient vehicles I’ve ever owned. I’ve taken mine places that I wouldn’t have been able to take the big 4 wheel drives that I’d always had. Sure footed in the snow too. Never, ever had any trouble with the CVT’s either. If you’re heavy footed, do quick starts and stops, and drive assertively or aggressively...they are not for you. They get tremendous gas mileage, are cheap to own and operate, and easily do everything that I ask of them. I spend most of my time in the mountains and in other rough country. My Subaru’s are perfect for what I do with em’.
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Daughter is in the market for a new small SUV, and she's leaning heavily towards a Honda CR-V. I'm well aware Honda has built a reputation over the years of being extremely reliable. However, I notice that their offerings only include the CVT transmission, and I'm more than a little leery and skeptical of them.

What says the 'fire? Especially those whom are auto mechanics. Nothing to be concerned about, or look for something else sans the CVT?

I was looking hard at Subarus but from what I can gather the CVTs are causing problems so they upped the warranty to 100,000 miles. I expect two or three times that outof a vehicle.
I would avoid a CVT.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

I was looking hard at Subarus but from what I can gather the CVTs are causing problems so they upped the warranty to 100,000 miles. I expect two or three times that outof a vehicle.

SIL bought a Nissan with a CVT, had 110K miles. Consumer Reports reports the average failure mileage is 120K. I haven't had the heart to tell her yet. 100K should be "just broken in" for a basic commuter car, not "put another 5K in it". That's going backwards. On a 300K life span, that adds 10K to the cost of ownership. That buys a lot of $2.00 a gallon gas....
My main gripe with them is I don’t like driving them, they’re not very responsive when you step on the gas.
Why don't they go to a much simpler version of the centrifugal clutch, instead of their over-engineered version?

It kink of reminds me of this famous arrogant quote.

“A customer can have a car painted any color he wants as long as it’s black”

Subaru is one of the few makers that still sells manual transmissions which is probably what you should get.
Originally Posted by Dutch

SIL bought a Nissan with a CVT, had 110K miles. Consumer Reports reports the average failure mileage is 120K. I haven't had the heart to tell her yet. 100K should be "just broken in" for a basic commuter car, not "put another 5K in it". That's going backwards. On a 300K life span, that adds 10K to the cost of ownership. That buys a lot of $2.00 a gallon gas....

CVT would be way down the list on known Subaru Issues:
Replaced the CVT on our 2004 Nissan Murano at 200K miles. Responsive car, no problems with it til sudden failure of the transmission, fortunately near home. Took it to a crooked Nissan dealer who said it couldn’t be fixed or replaced. Tried to sell us a new car. Luckily my wife is a frugal and sensible Midwesterner and didn’t take the bait!

Had it transported to a transmission mechanic we trust. He replaced for $3800. We didn’t like the idea of the transmission failing, but the car is paid for and the investment was worth it. My wife now has 230K miles on it and happy with her favorite car. It’s our go-to SUV when we need to haul stuff.

We would probably another one, even with a CVT.
Some older CVT's were problematic. Newer versions are much better. I'd not be afraid of a current Honda with one in it.

My son commutes about 100 miles round trip to work and puts a lot of miles on a car. Having something good on gas is a plus too. He has a 2012 Nissan Sentra. His original CVT died right at 100K. I did some research and found that it was a known issue with Nissan and that they had addressed the issue by extending the warrantee to 120,000 on SOME vehicles. My sons was not included. I made calls and even filed an appeal hoping they would at least meet us 1/2 way on a new one but got nowhere with Nissan

The Nissan place wanted $5K to put in a new one. A local transmission shop said they would install a used one for $600 labor if I could find a good used one. But all of the used ones I found were close to 100K miles and probably not any better. He installed a new one for my son for $2900. And he ordered it through Nissan and picked it up from our local dealer. Almost 1/2 price for the same transmission.

I don't know the specifics, but my transmission shop tells me the new one he put in has major upgrades over the original and he expects it to last a long time. My son already has over 100K on the 2nd transmission with no other problems.
[Linked Image from dynaimage.cdn.cnn.com]
Work on bicycle well, cars not so well.

My daughter purchased a new 2011 Honda CRV it now has 145,000 bullet proof miles on the OD.Just the basic maintenance done so far.
Most people replying have never owned a CVT, just repeating what they have heard. I had a 2012 Nissan Sentra that I put around 100,000 miles on before someone ran a redlight and totaled it. It ran and handled itself as well as or better than a similar equipped auto transmission and got 36 mpg. Never had any trouble what so ever out of it. Just my experience. Much fewer parts than in an automatic transmission, no planetary gears or clutch packs. basically two variable pulleys, a chain and an oil pump. Reverse consists of basically the same mechanics as an auto transmission. I wouldn't be afraid to buy another. Bought my daughter a new Toyota in 2018 after the Nissan was totaled , and it has proven to be problem free so far with what few miles we have put on it. If you want advice on something to run backwards from, stay away from Ford's automatic clutch manual transmission. Talk about a cluster F@%^, wow.
I drove about 60 miles in a Honda CRV with CVT. There were some mild hills, but mostly relatively flat. That dam engine ran at high RPM the whole way. I hate noisy engines when you're cruising. I would be very hesitant buying a CVT.

It was 10 years ago, they may be better now.
I have a friend who is a regional training director for 1500 Nissan mechanics. He dislikes the CVT, as of last summer when I last spoke with him. He wishes they would design or use something else in the Nissans.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
My only experience was in a Nissan Altima about 7 or 8 years ago. It was a rental. When you punched the gas, the engine would race but it wouldn't accelerate. It was very slow to pick up speed no matter how fast the engine was going. It was impossible to pass because you couldn't catch the guy you were passing. I HATED that thing.

I had the same experience in a rented Toyota Corolla 3 years ago. It was loud, ‘cause the engine was always racing, and it was DANGEROUS ‘cause nothing would happen when the gas was punched. If you needed to accelerate to avoid something, it wasn’t going to happen.

Given that Corollas have had nearly unbreakable automatic transmissions for decades, I can’t believe they thought of changing it, nor that they let that vehicle leave the factory.

I’d be extremely wary.

Just one man’s opinion.

FC
I'm on my 3rd Subaru. I've gotten over 100k on each of my first 2 and had them for 10 years. This last one, purchased a little over 2 years ago, has a CVT. At 40K, no issues. My independent mechanic says to replace the transmission oil on a CVT every 30K or so to maximize their life and reduce issues, which I did. Mine has the std 2.5L engine and it has plenty of acceleration for the highways I drive, but then I don't drive it like it's a race car either. Subaru did extend the warranty on them and I know that's because some have had issues with them, but if they will make good on them, I'm ok. They are going with the CVTs to get maximum gas mileage. I avg 30 mpg on the country roads I travel and get 34 mpg on most highway trips. I like that. Honda makes a great car too.
My dad has a Sentra with one and he dislikes it.
i have a 2016 outback that i've put 70k on in a little over 4 years. so far so good. i think the problems with subaru cvt's were in a past generation around 2010. it is kind of doggy but i am not a racecar driver. hopefully it will be good for 200k. we'll see.
Be aware that according to Subaru, if you do anything to the CVT, including changing the fluid, the warranty is void. If you insist on doing that, have it done at a dealership, and be sure to discuss warranty coverage with the service manager first. I just participated in a situation where Walmart drained the transmission fluid by mistake during an oil change, refilled the trans with non-OEM fluid, and voided they warranty on a vehicle with 70K miles. That one's headed to court, I'm pretty sure. After just a very few miles with the wrong fluid, the trans can't be fixed.
Jerry
While my preference is a manual transmission, we've had a few cars with CVTs and they work fine from our perspective. The old one, in a Nissan Altima, was fine for its purpose (an around town car that my parents used), and the current one, in a Subaru Outback, has been smooth and troublefree. Maybe I'm just not paying attention, but I honestly have never had an issue with how CVTs operate and can't really tell them apart from a traditional automatic. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a car with a CVT. Still, when it comes to a car that I like to drive, I will always go with the manual.
No personal experience, but a close friend bought a Infinity Gwhatever (15+) years ago. Described it as a "rocketship".
He was a computer guy, not a car guy. Sold the company he built to TI so no real money worries. I doubt he kept it to 200k and I never really heard him mention it again.

Assign what value you will to my account of his account.....
Originally Posted by Whiptail
Subaru is one of the few makers that still sells manual transmissions which is probably what you should get.

The only manual transmission Subaru anymore is the Crosstreck. Thought about one of those too but only rated to tow 1,500lbs vs 2,700 on the Outback. Weird considering they seem to be essentially the same vehicle with different length wheelbases.
My Mother in law has a 2015 Nissan and it gets around 34 MPG.

It is one of the few cars made today that i would want.

There is lots of room.

This car only has 27,000 miles on it and it did some grand-ma miles but then the brother in law,wife and myself drive it it hauls.
Originally Posted by plainsman456
My Mother in law has a 2015 Nissan and it gets around 34 MPH.

It is one of the few cars made today that i would want.

There is lots of room.

This car only has 27,000 miles on it and it did some grand-ma miles but then the brother in law,wife and myself drive it it hauls.

34MPH? Man, that is very slow. My 1978 Arctic Cat had a CVT. DeVinci designed it in 1490, er, that was before powered vehicles. Actually several versions are out there. D.Benz used them first on a vehicle in 1886. I think they are a lot better now, but we have replaced several of them over the years, but factory replacements only.

The only manual transmission Subaru anymore is the Crosstreck. Thought about one of those too but only rated to tow 1,500lbs vs 2,700 on the Outback. Weird considering they seem to be essentially the same vehicle with different length wheelbases.

That's a bummer. They did make them on the Forester only a few years ago. I'd get one of those.

That's a bummer. They did make them on the Forester only a few years ago. I'd get one of those.

Dunno if I'd want a manual transmission anymore tho every vehicle I have ever owned had it. By the '09 Corolla they moved over to an electronic gas pedal, easy to stall out in stop and go traffic because the computer algorithm between you and the throttle. Also, potentially I could drive this next vehicle until I'm 80, dunno if I'll always have the knees for it.

Watch this guy's Videos on CVTs first, he has several..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GflS2YOPixE
Originally Posted by reivertom

Watch this guy's Videos on CVTs first, he has several..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GflS2YOPixE

YES
Bump
Appreciate all the input.
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Be aware that according to Subaru, if you do anything to the CVT, including changing the fluid, the warranty is void. If you insist on doing that, have it done at a dealership, and be sure to discuss warranty coverage with the service manager first. I just participated in a situation where Walmart drained the transmission fluid by mistake during an oil change, refilled the trans with non-OEM fluid, and voided they warranty on a vehicle with 70K miles. That one's headed to court, I'm pretty sure. After just a very few miles with the wrong fluid, the trans can't be fixed.
Jerry

This is the biggest problem with CVT's, wrong fluid.
Don't forget the Subaru WRX. It is still available with a stick. The Nissan is a known bad CVT. Not sure if they have done anything to improve quality yet. Subaru at least stands up and provides 100K warranty now. Honda builds a quality car but it is a 50/50 thing to me. If it is the same quality as they normally make, it is a now issue. If it does fail, it is going to be more money than another brand. Found that out the hard way when my '03 Element busted a CV joint on the rear drive shaft. $1000 as it is a non rebuildable part.
My company vehicle is a Subaru Forester. Got it new in August 2017. Has 83k miles on it and no tranny issues. I drive the hell out of it. My first Subaru experience and I love it.
The WRX only has a 6 speed in 2020. Subaru bought back my Son's WRX a few years ago that had CVT troubles.
He replaced it with a Lingenfelter Caddy CTS-V that he loves.
Originally Posted by AB2506
I drove about 60 miles in a Honda CRV with CVT. There were some mild hills, but mostly relatively flat. That dam engine ran at high RPM the whole way. I hate noisy engines when you're cruising. I would be very hesitant buying a CVT.

It was 10 years ago, they may be better now.

CRV's had CVT's 10+ years ago??

My 14 has auto/standard.
Honda makes their own and last I heard they had none of the issues the others have had as they all buy from JATCO.

Just another bullshit government "fix" as they all try like hell to make the CAFE standards.

I bought a low miles 2009 accord specifically to avoid the cvt
How is mountain descent? Friend has the nissan and likes the running at happy rpm going up but never mentioned coming down. They do have a lo of some sort. I am talking about rockies, like Eisenhower and vail, or monarch

My wifes little 1.4 chev can be locked into a gear as can my kia. A 1.4 doesnt have much compression braking, the 3.5 is ok.
Seems like a common theme running through these responses of failures around 100k miles. I have two friends who had the Ford Freestyles with CVTs who had similar experiences; failures at that mileage. One traded in, the other replaced it for $4k and ran it another 100k.

The first automatic transmissions were not as reliable as manuals, but they have improved significantly in the past 70 years. I have no doubt that with a few more decades of improvement the CVTs will get more reliable. but at this point they are probably not a good match for people who expect to drive a vehicle for 250 - 300k miles.

Jerry
Originally Posted by coobie

My daughter purchased a new 2011 Honda CRV it now has 145,000 bullet proof miles on the OD.Just the basic maintenance done so far.

I believe 2011 was before CVT's were available on Honda's. It looks like for 2011 Honda was using a 5 Speed Auto tranny on the CRV's.

I bought a Rav 4 Toyota in 2014 because they did not have CVT's then but Honda, Nissan, and Subaru did.
My wife drives a 2005 Ford Freestyle AWD with CVT. I bought it cheap at auction 6 or 7 years ago because it had been totalled in a hail storm. Constant velocity transmissions were pretty much an oddity at that time. It has just under 140,000 miles and the CVT has not been touched. It is well mated to the power curve of the engine and only makes the engine feel like it is revving hard while pulling a steep hill. All transmissions would do the same. This one, to date, is a pleasure to drive and has been flawless. Having said that, a cursory internet search will show that these transmissions are a ticking time bomb that usually explodes at 80-120,000 miles. I've been lucky. I was in the car industry for 35 years and have yet to hear a mechanic recommend a CVT for people that keep cars long after the warranty expires. I will not own another CVT until they earn a reputation for lasting 250-300,000 miles. YMMV, as they say....
My experience is limited to a 2016 Crosstrek that now has 90K on it. I had the dealership change the fluid around 55k and will probably have them do it again after 100k. Subaru uses a chain driven CVT so in my mind its important to get at least one drain and refill around 50k to get out any break-in shavings. I really like my CVT in every way thus far. It has specific shift points and has paddle shifters for manually controlled shifting per its designated shift points. It does not rev high when cruising, but rather stays in the lowest rpm setting possible for the optimum fuel mileage. It will wind out to the redline under hard acceleration before it shifts to the next shift point, i.e. shifting like an auto transmission. It learns your driving style quite well and will optimize to it. I learned that you can take off fast if you don't push the peddle immediately to the floor but instead give it like a 3/4 throttle and then push it to the floor when it fully engages if you must have more power. You can learn this technique instinctively. In reality though, unless you are racing why would you immediately push the pedal to the floor anyway when taking off quickly?

Not all CVTs are created equal. I like Subaru's Lineartronic but I also believe its better to keep them serviced with drain and refills using oem fluid only. Lifetime fluids were created for people who will never service and for people who will try to use a non-oem fluid and get the wrong lubricity spec fluid in it. A few changes fluid changes can make a significant difference in longevity.

The dealership which did my CVT service said they do have an outback with around 300k on the CVT. Most Subarus don't have the age yet to test the longevity of their CVT design when maintained. I plan to to test it.
Listening to the comments on stepping on the gas and nothing happening kind of reminds me of my buddy's 49 Buick Roadmaster with the Dynaflow transmission. Stomp on that dude and the engine roars the slowly the car would move out. Had a hell of a top speed once it got going though. It had a beautiful back seat though. Buick stuck with that Dynaflow tranny for years. IIRC, my ex-mother in law's 55 Buick still had that tranny.
Paul B.
Originally Posted by RickyD

I believe 2011 was before CVT's were available on Honda's. It looks like for 2011 Honda was using a 5 Speed Auto tranny on the CRV's.

I bought a Rav 4 Toyota in 2014 because they did not have CVT's then but Honda, Nissan, and Subaru did.

"All models are powered by a 2.4-liter, four-cylinder engine making 185 horsepower paired with the CVT. From 2012 to 2014, a five-speed automatic transmission was offered."

"What type of transmission does a 2014 Honda CR V have?
The 2014 Honda CR-V features a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine that produces 185 horsepower. A five-speed automatic transmission is standard, which is paired with front- or all-wheel drive."

It appears that one of the two transmissions was standard, the other optional.
My 2014 is a standard automatic.
Manual trannys are best for longevity, followed by automatics, followed by CVT. Many CVTs are truly craptastic. Hondas are better than most, and Toyota makes the best...but "best" is still inferior (reliability-wise) relative to manual or automatic shift trannys.

I will not be buying a CVT in anything for the foreseeable future.
Originally Posted by Raeford

"All models are powered by a 2.4-liter, four-cylinder engine making 185 horsepower paired with the CVT. From 2012 to 2014, a five-speed automatic transmission was offered."

"What type of transmission does a 2014 Honda CR V have?
The 2014 Honda CR-V features a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine that produces 185 horsepower. A five-speed automatic transmission is standard, which is paired with front- or all-wheel drive."

It appears that one of the two transmissions was standard, the other optional.
My 2014 is a standard automatic.

Maybe it was a 2015. I bought the Rav late in August of 2014.

I know the Honda CRV I test dorve had a CVT tranny from all the time it took to get up to speed, just like the Rogue I also drove. I hated that and saw it as a safety hazard.
Originally Posted by Thunderstick
My experience is limited to a 2016 Crosstrek that now has 90K on it. I had the dealership change the fluid around 55k and will probably have them do it again after 100k. Subaru uses a chain driven CVT so in my mind its important to get at least one drain and refill around 50k to get out any break-in shavings. I really like my CVT in every way thus far. It has specific shift points and has paddle shifters for manually controlled shifting per its designated shift points. It does not rev high when cruising, but rather stays in the lowest rpm setting possible for the optimum fuel mileage. It will wind out to the redline under hard acceleration before it shifts to the next shift point, i.e. shifting like an auto transmission. It learns your driving style quite well and will optimize to it. I learned that you can take off fast if you don't push the peddle immediately to the floor but instead give it like a 3/4 throttle and then push it to the floor when it fully engages if you must have more power. You can learn this technique instinctively. In reality though, unless you are racing why would you immediately push the pedal to the floor anyway when taking off quickly?

Not all CVTs are created equal. I like Subaru's Lineartronic but I also believe its better to keep them serviced with drain and refills using oem fluid only. Lifetime fluids were created for people who will never service and for people who will try to use a non-oem fluid and get the wrong lubricity spec fluid in it. A few changes fluid changes can make a significant difference in longevity.

The dealership which did my CVT service said they do have an outback with around 300k on the CVT. Most Subarus don't have the age yet to test the longevity of their CVT design when maintained. I plan to to test it.

!997 Subaru Justy s had a CVT.

Wife's 2016 CRV has 65K miles no issues. That includes 3 cross country trips and now living in WY driving on flat roads as well as through the Bighorns, no issues. Previous was a 2010 CRV, 100K+ no issues, gave it to our son who ran it for a while no issues til he totalled it. He now has a 2015 CRV and no issues.

Wouldn't slow me down one bit to get one
I've been driving a CR-V's for years. Current one is 2017 with 44,000. Never had a major issue with any of them. Hondas tend to be VERY reliable.
I bought a Subaru Outback a year ago this week. Have 53000 completely trouble free miles on it as of this morning. It is the base model 2019 Outback with base model 2.5i motor and CVT.

On my way to work is a complex interchange with a double merge double exit loop where I88 meets I80, and IL2. It is a choke point if a truck gets into the I88 exit ahead of you going to I80. But the ramp is 2 lane for about 200 yards and I frequently wind it up and pass snappily in that short distance.

I'm a very large driver and there are times that I would appreciate more room in the driver's seat. Still I am convinced that the Subaru outperforms anything remotely close to it's price range, and does it without trouble of any sort.

I have probably close to 2000 miles off road or on marginal (2 track) roads in the little subaru as well. And the largest percentage of these miles were with the unimpressive Bridgestone Dueler factory tires. No problem anywhere ever.
Combine that with it's impressive winter road handling, that is so much better yet with new tires designed for winter and it is an impressive little car.

My wife went looking for a car a month ago. Came home with a Subaru Outback like mine, but a 2020 about 4 trim levels up.

Now we are a 2baru family...
I have no doubt that a CVT transmission will fail. I intend to find that point as quickly as possible.

Stay tuned...
wifey has a 2015 Chevy Spark, CVT went to pieces at 58K miles. Chevy actually replaced it free of charge, it was 2 weeks left on 36 mo warranty. 10K on the free one. they do take some getting used to. not a fan.
Next question is, how does the CVT affect towing. The Subaru Outback is rated to be able to tow more'n 2,500lbs. Would that fry the CVT?
Next question is, how does the CVT affect towing.
I’ve had the Outback and Crosstrek both. Love em’. Love the CVT in em’ too. I wouldn’t tow with em’ though.
Originally Posted by antlers
I’ve had the Outback and Crosstrek both. Love em’. Love the CVT in em’ too. I wouldn’t tow with em’ though.

I won't even use the cruise control on my wife's Chevy Spark any more, since the CVT totally swarmed at 58,000.
I have a '17 Nissan Murano w/CVT that I bought new and have 103K on. 0 issues so far.
Originally Posted by horse1
I have a '17 Nissan Murano w/CVT that I bought new and have 103K on. 0 issues so far.

you done some traveling, for sure!
My Wifes Co-Worker just blew up her CVT on her Honda CRV on a long trip. The vehicle has 88K on it and the dealer wants to gouge her on top of it. She is filing a complaint with Honda tomorrow.
She's now looking at the Toyota RAV4 and Hyundai Tuscan as they're available sans the CVT
She's now looking at the Toyota RAV4 and Hyundai Tuscan as they're available sans the CVT

My uncle was shopping for a Subaru Forester last year until I explained CVTs to him. He ended up buying a Tucson. He’s happy so far.
Wife and I have a 2014 Honda Civic with one in it. Got over 121,000 miles on the car now. Changed the transmission oil every 30,000 miles and have had no problems with it. Gets good gas mileage too, 35 - 40 MPG normal.
After growing up thinking a quart of oil used every 1000 miles for the engine is normal, I still find it hard to believe this car just doesn't use any oil between changes of 5000 miles.
Originally Posted by antlers

Scratch Subaru off the list frown unless its a manual transmission.
Originally Posted by StuckInOhio
Wife and I have a 2014 Honda Civic with one in it. Got over 121,000 miles on the car now. Changed the transmission oil every 30,000 miles and have had no problems with it. Gets good gas mileage too, 35 - 40 MPG normal.
After growing up thinking a quart of oil used every 1000 miles for the engine is normal, I still find it hard to believe this car just doesn't use any oil between changes of 5000 miles.

Its not the transmission body that gets eaten up in a CVT its the rubber donut that passes for a drive belt.

Its pretty normal for an engine to eat a qt or more every 5k. That's why there are dipsticks.
Originally Posted by kid0917
Originally Posted by horse1

you done some traveling, for sure!

Pretty much all "pavement" miles @ highway speeds (60-80MPH) and no towing.
It is not normal for any engine to eat a quart of oil every 5,000 miles! Unless you are driving a twenty year old vehicle, that has an oil leak!
I have a 2019 Mitsubishi Outlander SE for work. I've been fairly anti-CVT for years because I didn't like the way they drove/felt. To be honest, I really, really like the one in the Mitsu. This one is the newer version with faux 8-speeds and it behaves very well. I do a fair amount of highway driving all over the southwest and southern Rockies and actually prefer the way it behaves compared my last car with a 6-speed auto. This one is rated at 30 MPG highway, and so far my overall average is 30.7 for all driving. They do take a little getting used to at first. I've towed my ~1200lb aluminum boat with it and had zero complaints with the performance. Mine has 21K miles on it so far and no issues to report. I've read that it's a good practice to replace the oil/filter in the CVT every 30K miles and I plan on doing that myself for ~$100.
Originally Posted by Heym06
It is not normal for any engine to eat a quart of oil every 5,000 miles! Unless you are driving a twenty year old vehicle, that has an oil leak!

Based on what?

Worse was a subaru that went 1 quart every 2500 miles. The toyotas I have owned are normally 1/2 quart or less.
I must have talked to 20 mechanics over the last 6 months about which compact suv's were best. Most recommended a Rav-4 or Honda CRV. Every single one said do not buy a Hyundai or Nissan.... Every.....Single.... One.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Its pretty normal for an engine to eat a qt or more every 5k. That's why there are dipsticks.

My 2013 Subaru's been the best car I've ever had. It burns a quart of oil about every 2500 to 3000 miles. Never a drop of oil on the garage floor or on the driveway. Not concerned about it at all. 104,500 miles and going strong. I put A LOT of miles on it in the mountains and on 4 wheel drive only paths. I've bought two more Subaru’s since last May. Love em'.

Based on what?

Worse was a subaru that went 1 quart every 2500 miles. The toyotas I have owned are normally 1/2 quart or less.

My Rav 4 with 136K on it uses a half a quart every 12,000 miles.

Based on what?

My Rav 4 with 136K on it uses a half a quart every 12,000 miles.
Wow that's impressive. My 2004 Grand Cherokee has 157K on it and doesn't use any between oil changes.
I've got a 2017 Forester XT. Took it in for the 48K check up at the dealer. They discovered a leak. Getting a new transmission under warranty. It worked fine prior. Service guy told me they're not authorized to split the case to fix the leak and so they just replace them. Getting it back tomorrow after a 2 day stay.
© 24hourcampfire