Home
Posted By: viking Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20
https://www.foxnews.com/travel/coro...n-diamond-princess-bringing-total-to-130

Not good.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20
Wife conned me into a Greek Island cruise once. I hated the fact that you were stuck on the boat . The current situation guarantees I’ll never get on another cruise ship
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20
It will be interesting to see what the virus does on that ship.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20
Originally Posted by 12344mag
It will be interesting to see what the virus does on that ship.

Might be scrap iron after this.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20
Most of the people I know that were cruisers went for the massive quantities of food and/or booze to be had.

I'd much prefer renting a cabin or cottage in some nice location and chilling out in place. Cruise ships are disease pits. How many times have you read about outbreaks of stomach ailments (norovirus?) and Legionnaires' on them? One kitchen worker with bad hygene can have half the passengers riding the porcelain bus the whole trip. Not my idea of a big time.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20
There's a reason I didn't join the Navy.
Posted By: hanco Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20
We are supposed to go in an Alaskan cruise in May. We may have to rethink that.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20
More than 13 million people cruise every year. A handful of them get sick, even fewer die.

You drive on public highways, shop in public places, maybe attend big crowded events, and think cruising is dangerous? Ha!
Posted By: slumlord Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20
Hate be trapped on that boat with an inside stateroom.

Smelling everyone else’s puke and shît wAter vapors.

Least with a balcony room you could get sunshine and ocean breezes.
Posted By: Beoceorl Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20
Originally Posted by hanco

I think you will find the Alaskan cruises very different from most other cruises.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20
A local guy is on it. He's not one of the sick ones....yet.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20
Ain’t enough $$$$ in Texas to get me on one of those!
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20
Originally Posted by Beoceorl

I think you will find the Alaskan cruises very different from most other cruises.
What? You get to freeze your ass off as you piss and shixt yourself to death as opposed to sweating your ass off as you do the same thing in normal climes?
Posted By: jimy Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20
Not in this life time.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

What? You get to freeze your ass off as you piss and shixt yourself to death as opposed to sweating your ass off as you do the same thing in normal climes?

Different demographic from most cruises. Lots of time on the ground. Rarely out of sight of land, and thus rarely out of sight of Alaskan scenery. The only time it was really cold was when we were in Glacier Bay. You couldn't pay me to go on most cruises, but I would go on another Alaskan cruise in a heart beat.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20

Different demographic from most cruises. Lots of time on the ground. Rarely out of sight of land, and thus rarely out of sight of Alaskan scenery. The only time it was really cold was when we were in Glacier Bay. You couldn't pay me to go on most cruises, but I would go on another Alaskan cruise in a heart beat.
mol a joke. No offense intended Beoceori, though I still wouldn't go on a cruise right now.

mol a joke. No offense intended Beoceori, though I still wouldn't go on a cruise right now.

No offense taken. I had to be dragged on the cruise, but ended up enjoying it. And you are probably right: now would not be a choice time to take a cruise anywhere.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20

June for us. I bought insurance for it
An Alaskan cruise was our first one, 10 years ago for our 40th anniversary. This summer we're doing it again for our 50th and taking both daughters and families along with us. I have not one qualm about it.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20
We're going in late April to the southern Caribbean.. I called RCC and asked what they're doing to prevent the virus outbreak on upcoming cruises.. Their response - ' everybody coming onto the pier will be scanned for flu-like symptoms and/or fever. Anyone showing any sign will be prevented from boarding.. Anyone that has been in the affected areas within 30 days of embarkation will not be allowed to get on board..'

Frankly, by that time it's very possible this whole thing will be moot.. This will be our 8th cruise - and I can't wait..

Originally Posted by stevelyn
There's a reason I didn't join the Navy.
laugh It's BECAUSE I joined the Navy that I love being on the ocean.. Loved every bit of it - even when we were going through a major storm outta Guam in '68. We were taking 3-4 feet of solid green over the bridge; waves were easily over 30+ feet and winds about 75 knots.. We were lashed to the shears to keep from being washed overboard.. Damn, that was cool... smile smile
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
An Alaskan cruise was our first one, 10 years ago for our 40th anniversary. This summer we're doing it again for our 50th and taking both daughters and families along with us. I have not one qualm about it.

Our's was a anniversary gift from our kids. They paid for everything and made all the reservations. All we did was show up and have a good time.
Posted By: NDsnowman Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20
Cruise ships contain the newlywed, the overfed and the nearly dead.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20
We're going on an NCL cruise to the North Cape of Norway this June and not worried at all. We'll be at the same latitude as Pt Barrow, Alaska and enjoy 24 hours of daylight.
Posted By: splattermatic Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20
Wife and I have been on 6 cruises now.
Took her some time to get me to commit, but now love em.
Food is good, dont really drink much, dont gamble, and enjoy the scenery.
Shore excursions are fun, and we book a fishing trip on our own in one of the ports.
Never been sick, or had any problems.
Wife in Cabo last Febuary.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Your nice Spring chicken is holding a nice rooster!
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20
We were supposed to be boarding a Cruise ship today out of Tampa. Luckily I got diagnosed with influenza B late last week and we had to cancel.

Thank goodness we had trip insurance.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20
I've been on two and hated them both. Were I on one of those quarantined ships, I'd seriously consider jumping.

I saw an ad for one line this weekend advertising $800 off and free drinks. I think this will be a slow season for them.
Too confined for my likes.
Chaplain islander, and you think a cruise ship is too confining? BWAhahahaha.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Wife conned me into a Greek Island cruise once. I hated the fact that you were stuck on the boat . The current situation guarantees I’ll never get on another cruise ship

Sam, I've never been on a cruise ship. There are a hundred reasons. Main reason is, I don't want them determining my complete schedule and itinerary. That in itself is enough for me.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20
But but but but....
Cruises are the greatest thing since individual sliced, wrapped, and processed american cheese according to many on here.

LOL!!!
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20
Two words of advice:

Trip Insurance
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Chaplain islander, and you think a cruise ship is too confining? BWAhahahaha.
Yup...I may live on an island but I can leave it anytime I want. Cruise ship not many ways to get off. Too many people all drinking, eating and breathing on a petri dish.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20
Originally Posted by renegade50
But but but but....
Cruises are the greatest thing since individual sliced, wrapped, and processed american cheese according to many on here.

LOL!!!

Gal in town just got back from a cruise.

I wont be going after listening to that.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20
Did the Alaska cruise with Royal Caribbean last Summer and loved it. Would do it again tomorrow.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Did the Alaska cruise with Royal Caribbean last Summer and loved it. Would do it again tomorrow.

I’ve never heard so much as a single complaint from friends and family that have done the Alaskan Cruises.

The Carribean Cruise thing is another different story and varies from being good to okay to the dumps.
Posted By: RatherBHuntin Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20
Wife and daughter heading on a week long Caribbean cruise in May, with 3 other couple friends and their kids. So glad I don’t have to go with. Wasn’t worth the extra 1500-2000 $ for me to go. Neither my wife or I are cruising fans. The only reason she is going is to allow my daughter to enjoy going w her friends. Though I am a little concerned what the status of corona virus will be by then.
Posted By: sse Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20
the massive quantities of food and/or booze to be had

that's livin, right there
cruiseliner, no way...sailboat charter in the carib, i could handle
Just wait til the Zombie apocalypse starts !
Those out at sea will survive !!
Posted By: KFWA Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

I’ve never heard so much as a single complaint from friends and family that have done the Alaskan Cruises.

The Carribean Cruise thing is another different story and varies from being good to okay to the dumps.

looking forward to Alaskan

would never do a Caribbean again - primarily because the price point is so low, you get alot of .....undesirables
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20
Originally Posted by sse

Bring your piggy bank.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20
Orlando brother-in-law is a computer scientist for Disney. He said their cruises were pretty well booked. He was looking for an employee slot, evidently they get low cost bookings if there's a cancellation. I told him I don't think I'd want to be cruising right now. Reportedly things are going along pretty normal for Disney.

I told him about the Princess ship anchored at Japan and the message from the honeymoon couple, sequestered in their cabin. They said they had been eating lobster, not lucky to get a sandwich. He said Disney would do better than that, and I think he's right.

I've never been on a cruise, don't think I'd go now.

DF

Lotta people trying to get me on an Alaskan cruise.... No freakin' way... I get more than enough cold/snow here already and refuse to go to another cold/snow area.. Pass. I want warmth, sunshine, 80F degree sea breezes..

For those even considering a cruise - stay the hell away from Carnival unless yer 20-28 and single.. Stay away from Disney Cruises unless ya have 4-10 yr olds.. .. If yer an adult and want peace and quiet, RCC, Celebrity or Norwegian Lines might be best choices.. FWIW..

Bucket list - the Panama Canal cruise... Hope to in 2 years, but it's 18-19 days at a time.. eek I might gain a few LBs by the end of that one... laugh laugh
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by sse

Bring your piggy bank.

h_ll i can do that at home
Originally Posted by Redneck

Lotta people trying to get me on an Alaskan cruise.... No freakin' way... I get more than enough cold/snow here already and refuse to go to another cold/snow area.. Pass. I want warmth, sunshine, 80F degree sea breezes..

For those even considering a cruise - stay the hell away from Carnival unless yer 20-28 and single.. Stay away from Disney Cruises unless ya have 4-10 yr olds.. .. If yer an adult and want peace and quiet, RCC, Celebrity or Norwegian Lines might be best choices.. FWIW..

Bucket list - the Panama Canal cruise... Hope to in 2 years, but it's 18-19 days at a time.. eek I might gain a few LBs by the end of that one... laugh laugh

When we went the only day we needed anything heavier than a light sweater was the day we toured Glacier Bay. The only ice/snow we saw was at a distance.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20
Our first cruise was down to the "Mexican Riviera". Puerta Vallarta, Mazatlán, and Cabo. I thoroughly enjoyed it but wifey got seasick so we won't do an ocean cruise again.

Going on our second cruise this May. Down the Danube in one of those long, low slung riverboats. Price was high enough to hopefully deter the riff raff. First trip to Europe and I didn't want to deal with machete attacks and "trucks of peace" running over tourists and infidels so we're avoiding London and Paris. Heading to eastern Europe where third world invasions are deterred and being white isn't an invitation to violence.
Posted By: hanco Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20
Went to Puerto Rico, then around to a bunch of islands. I never seen so many darkies in my life. I will never go on one of those again.

I’m in the middle

Posted By: gunner500 Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20
NO, never had interest in being cooped up with 5K other people on a floating out house, too damn noisy, to peoplee, to many cooties.
Hanco,
We did the same cruise 2 years ago.
Had a blast!
I've been on 5 cruises, all with NCL--Alaska, Baltic, Norway, Oz&NZ and Amsterdam to Rome. Loved them all. That being said, I would never go on a Caribbean one--totally different crowd. The longer the cruise, the fewer the riffraff. If you go on the fringe seasons (May & Sept), no rugrats, either.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20
No. Never.
Originally Posted by UPhiker
I've been on 5 cruises, all with NCL--Alaska, Baltic, Norway, Oz&NZ and Amsterdam to Rome. Loved them all. That being said, I would never go on a Caribbean one--totally different crowd. The longer the cruise, the fewer the riffraff. If you go on the fringe seasons (May & Sept), no rugrats, either.

for a yooper you get around
Posted By: WyColoCowboy Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20
We are leaving Saturday on a Caribbean Cruise. Norwegian issued a statement that they will deny boarding to any person traveling the last 30 days to mainland China and will also deny boarding to any person traveling on a passport from China, Macau or Hong Kong, regardless of the last time they were in China.
Originally Posted by UPhiker
I've been on 5 cruises, all with NCL--Alaska, Baltic, Norway, Oz&NZ and Amsterdam to Rome. Loved them all. That being said, I would never go on a Caribbean one--totally different crowd.
Exactly.. Not for me either..
The longer the cruise, the fewer the riffraff. If you go on the fringe seasons (May & Sept), no rugrats, either.
That... The last few we've been on I think we might have seen 2-4 kids total (meaning 12 and under).. The rest were adults.

Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
We are leaving Saturday on a Caribbean Cruise. Norwegian issued a statement that they will deny boarding to any person traveling the last 30 days to mainland China and will also deny boarding to any person traveling on a passport from China, Macau or Hong Kong, regardless of the last time they were in China.
Good.. That's also basically what RCC told us too..
Posted By: Jedi5150 Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20
But but but but....

LOL!!!

Have you ever been on one? I'm guessing not, based on your comment.

I've only been on 3 so far, and loved every minute of them. Holland America is about 3x as good as Carnival, for anyone interested. The food is to die for, and the clientele of HAL ships is far more mature and less "party" than Carnival. I've taken all sorts of vacations during my life, and a cruise is far in a way the most relaxing. There isn't even a distant second. They also aren't outrageously priced. By the time you factor in 3 meals a day, gas, hotels, entertainment, etc., a decent cruise can be one of the least expensive ways to take a vacation.

When I retire from my current career, I plan on starting a second career on a HAL ship. I guess that probably shows how much I enjoyed cruises. But never listen to the opinion of folks who have actually gone on them, you may learn something. wink BY and large, folks who have been on cruises will tell you they loved it, and folks who have never been will say they are awful. You should ponder that for a second.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20
Not to worry they will scrap that one and just make a newer and larger one.
Originally Posted by Jedi5150
But but but but....

LOL!!!

I've only been on 3 so far, and loved every minute of them. Holland America is about 3x as good as Carnival, for anyone interested. The food is to die for, and the clientele of HAL ships is far more mature and less "party" than Carnival. I've taken all sorts of vacations during my life, and a cruise is far in a way the most relaxing. There isn't even a distant second. They also aren't outrageously priced. By the time you factor in 3 meals a day, gas, hotels, entertainment, etc., a decent cruise can be one of the least expensive ways to take a vacation.
That.. Spend 7-8 days in a big city hotel, buy your meals, rent a car or use a taxi... buy tix to plays etc and add it up.. I'm betting the cruise is cheaper by 35-40%.. And it's all there - just have to literally walk to it..

Only point I'd argue is HA being 3X better than Carnival... Hell, it's 10X better than Carnival.. laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

Couldn't agree more. In the words of President Donald Trump......those are sh^#hole countries down there.
Posted By: deadlift_dude Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20
This sort of thing becomes a regular occurrence, we can welcome back the Lazaretto:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazaretto
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20
But but but but....

LOL!!!

When I retire from my current career, I plan on starting a second career on a HAL ship. I guess that probably shows how much I enjoyed cruises. But never listen to the opinion of folks who have actually gone on them, you may learn something. wink BY and large, folks who have been on cruises will tell you they loved it, and folks who have never been will say they are awful. You should ponder that for a second.

I've been on two and they both sucked. Maybe the third time would be a charm, but I'm not betting on it.
Posted By: Jedi5150 Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20
Originally Posted by gregintenn
But but but but....

LOL!!!

I've been on two and they both sucked. Maybe the third time would be a charm, but I'm not betting on it.

Carnival/ Royal Carribean?
Those who hate cruises have either never been on one and just read the horror stories on the internet or went on one 3-5 Caribbean party cruise.
On my Baltic cruise, I saw Copenhagen, Berlin, Tallinn, St Petersburg, Helsinki and Stockholm, all while staying in the same "hotel room". I didn't have to worry about flights, transfers, renting a car, finding a convenient hotel or where the good restaurants were.
I bet I could find people who'd think a guided elk hunt sucked, or that a week in a Canadian fishing camp sucked.

So, hearing people say that cruises suck means exactly nothing. Except to the sour killjoy who says it.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20
i've said it before on here, pre-corona virus, that i would never, ever set foot on one of those germ incubators. this just drives my point home. the thought of being in that close of proximity to that many people makes me wretch.
Would you go to a sports event, a car race, or a concert? A movie, a supermarket, a plane?

Are the 14 million people a year who take a cruise and "catch" nothing more than a sunburn and a few extra pounds not evidence to you?
Originally Posted by rem141r
i've said it before on here, pre-corona virus, that i would never, ever set foot on one of those germ incubators. this just drives my point home. the thought of being in that close of proximity to that many people makes me wretch.

Have you ever been on one?
Posted By: rem141r Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20
no, not really.

that said, i am pretty germ phobic so consider the source. but people are free to do as they choose as am i.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Cruise ship anyone? - 02/10/20
Here is my favorite cruise ship.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cf/MV_Tustumena_at_False_Pass.JPG

runs from Kodiak to Dutch Harbor, every 3 weeks, in summer months. used to, anyway.
I bet a lot of people here are virgins because "they heard" it was smelly and hairy and wet and they went "phew!"
© 24hourcampfire