Home
Posted By: Hubert Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
Living after your wife has passed away.
Posted By: add Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
Being called a "White Nationalist" by Birdie.
Posted By: achadwick Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
Condolences, Hubert! I can't imagine what you must be going through. :-(
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
I wish I knew the words to soothe pain.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
I bet she was a fantastic lady. I’m sorry, Bud. Prayers for you.
Posted By: CEoW717 Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
I can’t imagine. Sorry for your loss.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
I am sorry for your loss and I wish you the very best.

L.W.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
Originally Posted by Hubert

Very sorry to read this, Hubert. I sure as hell wouldn't want to go through it, but would consider it an honor to save her from the pain of doing the same.

You got this.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
I'm sorry to hear that, Hubert.
Posted By: broomd Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20

So sorry for your loss, Hubert.You have my sympathies.

I, too, dealt with that pain as a younger man. It's tough.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20

You were given a wonderful gift, and if you are only patient I do believe you will see her again.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
Originally Posted by broomd

So sorry for your loss, Hubert.You have my sympathies.

I, too, dealt with that pain as a younger man. It's tough.

I'm sorry to hear of that, broomd.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
My condolences to both hubert and broomd - may our Lord's grace help calm you.
T/y guys, I've since been blessed with a wonderful woman.

My heart goes out to Hubert though.
Hubert, lean on those you love, and know that even here at the 'fire there is support and fellas who care.

Posted By: old_willys Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
Sorry to hear that it is a rough thing to go through,

A good friend lost her husband at Christmas and my niece lost her husband a few weeks later both of cancer. Then two co-workers both had their spouse's pass week before last from long illnesses.

Too much to much at one time.
Posted By: OMCHamlin Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
Sorry to hear.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
I am so sorry. Prayers sent. Hang in there.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
so sorry to hear this, prayers for you.
Posted By: scottf270 Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
Living your life and keeping her memory alive is the greatest tribute you can pay her. She would want you to carry on and live a full life. Perhaps donate or volunteer time to a favorite charity or cause to honor her. Helps keep her memory alive. Hope you find peace.
Posted By: kelbro Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
Dad said it was very lonely but he was consoled that Mom was always with him in his heart.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
I’m sorry for your pain. I hope you will soon remember the joy of your marriage more than the loss of your wife.
Posted By: silver78 Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
I am very sorry for your loss. My wife and I have been married for 30 years and as we age I realize that it is unlikely that we will die at the same time so one of us will eventually be in your situation. You are very lucky though. The only reason you are in so much pain is because of the joy she brought you for so many years. Many people never get to experience this. Just think of all the X-wife stories you read here. Based on what my grandfather told me when he lost my grandmother it's going to take time. I wish you peace.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
Been down that road with the love of my life. First, cancer took away the the woman I knew. Then it killed her.

How long ago did yours pass, Hubert?

You have any kids that visit and help any?
Posted By: saskfox Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
I am sorry for your loss Hubert. I lost my wife 9 years ago. The first year is really tough. I had friends come forward to me and they all said don't do anything for a year. Meaning don't sell your house, buy a new car ,etc. Trust me you are not thinking straight. I said to my family the loss of Terry was a tragedy but other families have had to endure worse tradegies. I said to myself I can live the rest of my life in the toilet or not in the toilet. I chose not to be in the toilet. I never had been to church (United) since I was a kid but something drew me into going. That really helped. I looked forward to going every Sunday. Take care and look after yourself and your family. PM me anytime if you want to talk. Jim
Posted By: RLA Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
I lost my first wife to cancer, l was left with 2 small children that kept me going. Someone told me you never get over it, you just get use to it.
That is the truth. I am very sorry for your loss. It is one day at a time.
Posted By: Gun_Geezer Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
I have no words.
Posted By: Ranger_Green Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
Amen Sir.
Posted By: viking Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
My condolences.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20

Hang on, time will ease the pain of loss some. I lost my first wife of 15 years, she was only 37.
I wont worth a cup of cold piss for a year. I finally decided she would have wanted me to go on living and enjoying life. I still think of her at times and even try to look after her elderly mother some since her brother's are almost useless.
Go fishing, stay busy even if its work.
You are in our father's grip even when you feel lost.
Posted By: Hubert Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
We were married for 56 years . her last 5 years were a living hell for her. I had to take care of her like a Baby , I dident mind doing it as I was retired and dident have anything else to do.. She has been gone for 5 years and 2 monthes now and I miss her as much as the day she died.. this time of the year is the worst for me I think of her all my waking hours Christmas was her favorite time of the year... We were married on Christmas eve and there was 2 feet of snow on when we went on our honeymoon... thanks all for the thoughts.
Posted By: Quak Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
Prayers your way my friend.
Posted By: Waders Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
We were married for 56 years.

That pretty much says it all.

I'm real sorry for what you're having to endure. I can't even imagine your pain. Better days ahead, my friend...
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
Not much I can add, I would miss my darling wife more than I care to think on.
Posted By: BigNate Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
So sorry you're going through this. Clearly your grief is an indication of how great she was. It's ok to be a little numb right now. Do consider grief counseling or at least have a few friends you can be around. Put off any big decisions for a while. I'm willing to listen if you need to vent.
Posted By: WhiteFawn Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
Losing the partner of a lifetime is tough from what I've seen friends and relatives go through. The longer you've been together the harder it appears to be.

May God bless you and keep you.
Posted By: shaman Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
That's a sincere bummer.

I can't imagine life without KYHillChick.
Posted By: 673 Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
You are a good husband and man, alot can be learned from you sir, I will be more understanding of my wife of almost 40 years.
My grandpa and grandma were married for 60+ years after my grandma died the cops took gramps to the retirement home as senility was creeping in on him. He would escape and walk, hitch rides the 100 miles and go to my grandma's grave just to be with her. The cops would bring him back to the home and he would do it again,
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
Blindshooter has some good advice.
It will get easier, you won't forget her.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
I lost my 1st wife to cancer after 33 years. Yes, it hurt. A lot. Everyone's different but in my case, the Lord introduced me to another fine Christian woman. We've been married 11 years now.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
my condolences and prayers.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
We just buried a sister-in-law last Saturday at 53. She passed the night before my Dad's funeral on the 9th.
I can't imagine what my brother is going through, right now.
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
I don't want to imagine. God's peace to you. Amen
Posted By: DMc Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
Dearest God in Heaven, please bless Hubert with your healing hands. Lift him up to be a healthy and strong follower of Christ, so that his walk may glorify You with each and every step he takes. End now his suffering and relieve his mournful grief. Thank you Father. In Your Son’s name, we prayerfully plead.

Amen
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
Originally Posted by mark shubert
We just buried a sister-in-law last Saturday at 53. She passed the night before my Dad's funeral on the 9th.
I can't imagine what my brother is going through, right now.

Sure sorry to hear this, Mark.

Prayers for your family's losses.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
We were married for 56 years . her last 5 years were a living hell for her. I had to take care of her like a Baby , I dident mind doing it as I was retired and dident have anything else to do.. She has been gone for 5 years and 2 monthes now and I miss her as much as the day she died.. this time of the year is the worst for me I think of her all my waking hours Christmas was her favorite time of the year... We were married on Christmas eve and there was 2 feet of snow on when we went on our honeymoon... thanks all for the thoughts.

She must have been a wonderful lady. Those of us who are gifted to share our lives with such are truly blessed.

You have my sincere sympathy and condolences. May this lovely woman live on in the hearts of all who knew and loved her.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
Sorry to hear. Prayers up for you, Sir.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
Sorry to hear that as well, Mark. Prayers for your brother and family.
Posted By: RickyD Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
Very sorry for your loss! 56 years is a long time with the same person. You two were obviously meant for each other.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20

I'm very sorry to hear this Hubert, My condolences to you and your family.

I remember how my mom felt after my dad passed.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20

I could only imagine. Don't wanna know.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
Yes it is and prayers sent.
Posted By: 222Sako Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
Have no idea what pain you're feeling. Please remember just how blessed you are to have had such a great wife in your life.
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20

That means you had a good one and for a long time.

I'm happy for all the wonderful years you had with her.

I wish you the best adjusting to this change.
Originally Posted by RLA
I lost my first wife to cancer, l was left with 2 small children that kept me going. Someone told me you never get over it, you just get use to it.
That is the truth. I am very sorry for your loss. It is one day at a time.

Same exact scenario, RLA.
Right down to the two kids who became my life, too.
I owe my sanity to my dad who came over one day and ripped open the drapes and made me a dentist appt. He said 'it's time to start living again, son."
As usual, Dad was right..
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
Originally Posted by jaguartx
I'm sorry to hear that, Hubert.

+1 from West Texas.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
Originally Posted by broomd
T/y guys, I've since been blessed with a wonderful woman.

My heart goes out to Hubert though.
Hubert, lean on those you love, and know that even here at the 'fire there is support and fellas who care.

Amen. Sorry for your loss as well broomd.
Posted By: 4xbear Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
I am sorry for your loss. It is something I have experienced myself. It has been 8 years for me. I still wear her ring. If you are like me you will perservere, however, I can not tell you how. But you will. Bear
Posted By: bluedot Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
Hubert, I fully understand where you are coming from. I lost my bride 3 years ago. I was about 2 yrs into my fight with prostate cancer when my wife was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. I lost her less than a year later. I kept hearing it gets "better with time" it doesn't you just learn to live with it. Some days you just try to shut off your brain and simply put one foot in front of the other. Even after 3 years when something happens that is good, my first thought is about telling it to her and then reality kicks my ass.............to live with someone who truly loves you and you love in return is a gift that is to be cherished.
Posted By: javman Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
Prayers to you and your family. She is in a better place and I'm sure she'd want you to keep doing whatever your passion is. One day we will all be with are beloved ones. The hurt will always be their but easier to deal with day by day as we all have been through this. 🙏🙏🙏
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
Whatever you feel don't ever give up on life.

Feel sorry because my Mother found out after dad died that she had a whole lot of time on her hands.

It took a while but she found herself and had gone all over the world on trips.

She still misses Dad but knows he is not suffering any more.

Prayers sent
Posted By: PJGunner Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
I am sorry for your loss Hubert. I lost my wife of 52 years just this last march. Not a happy time as after three strokes and a bout with dementia she finally found peace.
Paul B.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
I don't want to imagine. God's peace to you. Amen

This.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
Originally Posted by Dutch
I’m sorry for your pain. I hope you will soon remember the joy of your marriage more than the loss of your wife.

This, Hubert.

As we age, those good memories become a mainstay in our lives.

Hang tuff, Pard.
Posted By: fgold767 Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
Sorry for your loss. We will have been married 49 yrs 3/11...can not imagine losing her (or her me).
Prayers sent for your healing....she is at peace.
Originally Posted by bluedot
.... Even after 3 years when something happens that is good, my first thought is about telling it to her and then reality kicks my ass............

That's just painful.

These things put the unimportant things in life in perspective.
Appreciate your and others willingness to share. I'll be more thankful for the blessings I have.
Posted By: 4winds Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
Prayers to you.
Posted By: leesway2 Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
Originally Posted by bluedot
Hubert, I fully understand where you are coming from. I lost my bride 3 years ago. I was about 2 yrs into my fight with prostate cancer when my wife was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. I lost her less than a year later. I kept hearing it gets "better with time" it doesn't you just learn to live with it. Some days you just try to shut off your brain and simply put one foot in front of the other. Even after 3 years when something happens that is good, my first thought is about telling it to her and then reality kicks my ass.............to live with someone who truly loves you and you love in return is a gift that is to be cherished.

I am a year and a half into the loss of my wife of 31 1/2 years, I am just now starting to get my head right. It has been and is the worst thing I have ever had to go through. Prayers for all who have lost a spouse.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
Hubert: I also am sorry for your loss and pain - stay strong and time will help heal.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: hookeye Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
Sorry for your loss gentlemen.
You guys were blessed to have had such gifts.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
Well meaning people often say, just get over it. Well, it doesn’t work like that. You don’t “get over it”, you just move on the best you can.

If you don’t know what to say, just be there for them. Don’t try to fix it, you can’t. Being there is probably the best thing you can do.

DF
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
I understand OP. I kissed my wife goodbye before going fishing one morning and was a widower by noon. She died in a traffic accident. Married 40 years. I was in a stupor for several months. Eventually worked my way out thanks to good friends and my faith in Christ. Now remarried and starting to enjoy life again. There is a light at the end of your tunnel. I suggest you find a grief support group such as GriefShare. Best of luck.
Posted By: jeffbird Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
So sorry for the loss and the heart ache.

Hopefully these thoughts may help.

When I’m Gone

When I come to the end of my journey
And I travel my last weary mile
Just forget if you can, that I ever frowned
And remember only the smile

Forget unkind words I have spoken
Remember some good I have done
Forget that I ever had heartache
And remember I've had loads of fun

Forget that I've stumbled and blundered
And sometimes fell by the way
Remember I have fought some hard battles
And won, ere the close of the day

Then forget to grieve for my going
I would not have you sad for a day
But in summer just gather some flowers
And remember the place where I lay

And come in the shade of evening
When the sun paints the sky in the west
Stand for a few moments beside me
And remember only my best
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
Condolences from our household.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/27/20
I’m sure she would want you to go on “living”
Hope you can meet her wishes.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/28/20
Indeed, a good spouse wants the other happy.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/28/20
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

You were given a wonderful gift, and if you are only patient I do believe you will see her again.

Well said. And our condolences
Posted By: chris_c Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/28/20

So sorry for your loss
Posted By: Huntr Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/28/20
This post just breaks my heart. My sincere prayers for you, sir.
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: Worse than DEATH - 02/28/20
Sorry for your loss, Sir. She’ll be waiting for you when your time is here. The best thing you can do is honor her by living your life the best you can.
© 24hourcampfire