Home
Posted By: Boyd45 comb adjustment - 08/22/07
Recently bought a lace on comb adjustment for my 99 that worked well. My eye now lines up with the scope perfectly, and my shooting (and comfort) have improved. The same kind of adjusment did not work on my model 70 or Mark X, as there is a cheek pad on both rifles. I considered tearing out half of each lace on pad, but thought I would see if others have another, reversible way to raise the comb height. Thanks in advance for any solutions.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: comb adjustment - 08/22/07
Mr. Boyd45:
I�ve used a common elastic ammo �butt cuff� and stuffed it with layers of closed-cell foam on couple rifles. It�s a pretty cheap fix and is very reversible.
However, I have found that when you put 6-8 loaded rounds on the butt, it does affect the balance on some rifles. That said, I run them on most of our hunting rifles.
Hope that helps.
Dwayne
Posted By: Boyd45 Re: comb adjustment - 08/23/07
Dwayne: Thanks for the very practical suggestion. Do you have any problems in keeping this fix in place? Tx - David
Posted By: BC30cal Re: comb adjustment - 08/23/07
Mr.Boyd45:
Yes actually, depending on stock shape they may want to squirm around some.
If the rifle has a rear sling swivel or swivel stud, I put a slit in the elastic and the stud or the sling helps keep it in place quite well.
If you don�t have a swivel or swivel stud, it likely will want to move more.
I put the foam on both sides, like 2 cheek pieces if you will, and stretch the cuff as much as possible to help everything stay in place.
Good luck with your modification.
Dwayne
Posted By: saddlesore Re: comb adjustment - 08/23/07
You might try several layers of mole skin. Alos I beleive there are some products out there that competition shooters use to adjust thier stock. YOu might ask that questionon inthe competition threads
© 24hourcampfire