Home
Posted By: Reba H-S Precision Stock - 04/04/09
I need to shorten an H-S Precision stock 3/4 inch, from 14.25 to 13.5.

I've never cut one open.

Will there be enough stock material around the preimeter to glue the recoil pad to.

I would like to reuse the existing pad.

What proplems might I have it any?

Thank you.

Thank you.
Posted By: Malm Re: H-S Precision Stock - 04/04/09
There is enough shell material and filler to glue to, though I prefer to glue a block of hardwood in the back end for which to attach a pad. The problems you are likely to encounter will be saving, cleaning up, refitting and gluing the original pad back on. Not that you can't, but for the relatively low cost of a new pad, why?
Posted By: 3sixbits Re: H-S Precision Stock - 04/04/09
Originally Posted by Reba
I need to shorten an H-S Precision stock 3/4 inch, from 14.25 to 13.5.

I've never cut one open.

Will there be enough stock material around the preimeter to glue the recoil pad to.

I would like to reuse the existing pad.

What proplems might I have it any?

Thank you.

Thank you.

The problem you will run into, is the toe angle. As you shorten the stock the toe angle will change. Take a short piece of wood, mark the current angle with a marker, move the wood up the stock to the length you will shortn the stock to. Note there will not be enough pad area to get the toe angle right. Unless you have installed a lot of pads, you would be better off returning the stock and have the work done. Or find a guy that does a lot of recoil pad installations.

I don't mean to sound harch with this answer, when evrr this question has been asked of me by customers, the guy has never done a pad before. For the guy that does a lot of pads, this job is just one of the many jobs a shop sees all the time. For a guy that has not done this job, it is just beyond belief to get done right the first time, without damage to the stock.

Most of the time you will pay under fifty dollars plus the cost of the pad for this work.
Posted By: Reba Re: H-S Precision Stock - 04/04/09
It will be done by someone that does this type of work.

I just wanted to know if there was enough material.

Thanks.
© 24hourcampfire