Home
Been thinking of trying a DIY trigger job. I can always get a Timney if it doesn't work. How hard is it?
Simple diligent careful removal of the burs left by the factory without changing any geometry makes a world of difference on a 77 trigger......
You could order a trigger from Brownells and probably be better off..they make some nice drop ins...I used one of them on my old Ruger 77, then added a control round feature and a 3 pos. m-70 safety...
Handloader Magazine #59, Jan-Feb, 1976. On page 35, Clay Harvey describes an unbelievably simple way to adjust a Ruger trigger. I have 5 Tang Rugers and all of them are done this way.

It involves adjustment of the sear engagement, something Ruger's lawyers would frown on these days. It is simple to do.....just follow the directions and pay attention.
If all else fails and you want to install a timney then let me know. I've got an extra I'll make a deal with you on.
dawaba,

Would it be possible to either outline or scan the trigger adjustment instructions and post them here?
Originally Posted by carbon12
dawaba,

Would it be possible to either outline or scan the trigger adjustment instructions and post them here?

Definitely +2, thnaks.
[Linked Image]
Here ya go, Guys. If it's not legible, PM me.
Hold the Control Key and press the + sign to enlarge this. You can keep hitting it to make it even larger.

Press Ctrl - to shrink back down.

Thanks for posting the page
Thanks Dawaba! Added that to photobucket.
Thanks dawaba I will try pretty soon.
glad I found this. Just picked up a whelen
Originally Posted by dawaba
[Linked Image]
Here ya go, Guys. If it's not legible, PM me.

And another bunch of Bubbas is born... Anyone that would do as suggested here needs to run right down to Wal-Mart and apply for a job behind the gun counter...
Springs are cheap.

Those directions aint the way to go about it.

Clay Harvey, that explains it..
Ok. What is the way?
Originally Posted by shouldershot
Ok. What is the way?

Springs are cheap

^^^^^^^^^^ Well this is a start, and a damn good one.

Tried that suggested trick 30 years ago, and it isn't safe.
Either buy a different trigger group or take it to a smith who knows what he's doing.
The 77's are very easy to tune if one knows what he is doing. If one is not familiar with their workings though, the process is best left to professionals.

There was a recent discussion here on cutting coils, and that's pretty much a cave man approach. With some minimal and proper grinding though, one can maintain the flats on the ends of his springs. Going slow and repeated fittings is the way to go, and thoroughly test things when done
Yep, I understand. The trick that was posted I did try 30 years back. Although I didn't totally screw the pooch it just wasn't right and the safety didn't properly engage all the time.
Took it to my smithy and let him work his magic. Still have the rifle, and the trigger is still great.
Decided right there that it was something that for the cost it was better left to someone who did it for a living. He's done about 3 dozen of them for me now and I have never regretted spending the money. Done safe and right the first time.
Originally Posted by 1minute

There was a recent discussion here on cutting coils, and that's pretty much a cave man approach. With some minimal and proper grinding though, one can maintain the flats on the ends of his springs. Going slow and repeated fittings is the way to go, and thoroughly test things when done

And what about all the other excellent reasons for NOT grinding a cheap spring? And how EXACTLY will grinding a 77 spring help?

Jesus!!!!!!!!!
On the trigger job on the Ruger 77 tang safety model.
I've looked every where for that magazine and no luck. Somebody help this trigger I'd over 6 lbs
Thanks
Any idea where I could find that magazine with that ruger tang safety trigger ajustment
Thank you
I don't recall having to shorten the spring on any and have always been able to get them down to 2 1/2 to 3 pounds with the screws. Adjusted my first one in 1972 and probably have done four hundred or so since then. If I did feel the need to shorten the spring, it wouldn't bother me any. If I felt the need to wind a new spring, that wouldn't bother me either.
With the MKII, Ruger eliminated the adjustable trigger and switched to a safety which blocked the striker as well as the trigger. This was undoubtedly because they decided their customers couldn't be trusted to adjust a trigger. Probably a good call. GD
I just made sure everything was polished and used one of ernies springs. Worked great.
Though my ruger isn’t a tang model, but I think the spring is the same if I’m not mistaken. Either way he has springs for everything. And it’s cheap. Just looked I think it’s the Hawkeye and mark11 that use the same spring.
Did the same to a model 70 I have too.
http://erniethegunsmith.com/catalog/c1_p1.html
Originally Posted by TCtim
Any idea where I could find that magazine with that ruger tang safety trigger ajustment
Thank you

https://www.wolfeoutdoorsports.com/handloader-59-january-1976/
I'm no Ruger guru by any means, but I've done 2 or 3 tang style. IIRC, my problem was repeatability...easy without much trouble to get down around 2 pounds...but it seemed impossible to achieve consistency, varying a half pound or more on each test pull. I had to replace the existing pins with oversize stock, and drill/ream the holes to get the slop out that was causing the variations in pull weight.
© 24hourcampfire