Home
Hi everyone... first post... new member

I have an older model 70 270 win. Probably late 70's or early 80's model. The barrel is finally about shot out and it is time to rebarrel, it has been a great deer rifle here in florida. I am wanting to put a little bit heavier barrel on it, I like the extra weight... but I am also thinking about going with a new caliber. I was think maybe a 280 ackley improved. I get tired of shooting the same think after a while. I recently started loading, so I was thinking that might be interesting. Does anyone have any opinions or other suggestions??? I do not know alot this topic... not sure what all calibers I could go with... pretty sure it has to be in the 06 family correct?

Thanks for any help
You could use 6 mm Rem, 257 Roberts, 6.5x55, 7x57, 25-06, 270, 280, 30-06, 338-06, 35 Whelan, 9.3x62, and a few dozen others that I can't recall, all with your bolt face and magazine length.

Clemson
wow... alot of options
geuss I should start researching some ballistics
Redneck will be along shortly, send it to him, he's the expert on here. smile
Consider a new 270 barrel.
For variety, switch bullet weights.
I have killed the last (8) deer with a 270 between 329 and 510 yards.
It is mostly bang flop, with a light wieght Pac Nor barrel on a pre 64 M70 rifle, and little recoil.

It doesn't get any better than that.
No doubts about the 270 being a great round... I just would like to try something new. I bought my wife a new 270 so I could always use hers if I had to
Does anybody have any suggestions on who to send the gun to, to have the barrel replaced and possibly the action blue printed... someone affordable, lol.
Nothing wrong with the standard .280 Remington. The "AI" verson has been made standard by Nosler so I think that's a "OK" way to go as well.

If it wasn't for Nosler making it a standard, I'd forget it as it's just more malarky!.....and for those that like that sort of thing the Gibbs line is a better route. At least it adds a bit more capacity.

I'll try to post a photo of a .30 Gibbs beside a standard .30-06
[Linked Image]
pm coming...
© 24hourcampfire