Home
Posted By: dennisinaz penetrating oil test - 02/04/10
This was emailed to me. Anyone seen this article? Any comments?

PENETRATING OILS:
>>
>> April 2007 "Machinist's Workshop" magazine comparison test.
>>
>> They arranged ective test of all the popular penetrants with the
>> control being the
>> torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted"
>> environment.
>>
>> Penetrating oil ..... Average load
>>
>> None ...................... 516 pounds
>> WD-40 ................... 238 pounds
>> PB Blaster .............. 214 pounds
>> Liquid Wrench ...... 127 pounds
>> Kano Kroil ............. 106 pounds
>> ATF-Acetone mix....53 pounds
>>
>> The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic
>> transmission fluid
>> and acetone.
>>
>> Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this
>> one particular
>> test.
>>
>> Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use it with
>> equally good
>> results.
>>
>> Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about as good as "Kroil" for about
>> 20% of the price.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: penetrating oil test - 02/04/10
So, since Kroil is a good barrel cleaner then your magic potion should be even better ?
Posted By: Malm Re: penetrating oil test - 02/04/10
It's hard to believe PB Blaster scored so low. I've had incredible success using it on stuff Kroil wouldn't touch. Of course my "Fire Hatchet" beats them all. grin
Posted By: Dons1 Re: penetrating oil test - 02/05/10
That ATF brew sounds like Ed's Red. A does-it-all concoction used by many. If you're not familiar with ER, Google it. Some swear by it as a penetrant, solvent, cleaner, lube...yadda yadda.
Posted By: DMB Re: penetrating oil test - 02/05/10
Dennis,

Thanks for the posting. Good info.
All I've ever used is Kroil, and now I have a better option.
Posted By: Clarkma Re: penetrating oil test - 02/05/10
Ever get any Acetone on your skin?
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: penetrating oil test - 02/05/10
I have had better luck with Kroil than PB blaster but I haven't given PB blaster a fair shake I guess. I have used Marvel Mystery oil thinned and it works well too. I haven't tried the home-brew concoction myself. Just throwing this out there to see what you all think.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: penetrating oil test - 02/05/10
My gallon of Kroil is almost gone.I'll have to try the acetone and ATM. Got to admi though ,there have been darn few things that the Kroil would not break free.
Posted By: ringworm Re: penetrating oil test - 02/05/10
Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product

welcome to earth.
Posted By: guntender Re: penetrating oil test - 02/05/10
watch the acetone boy's . I used to use alot till read the hasmat. breathing is as bad as touching. just a fyi.
Posted By: 1minute Re: penetrating oil test - 02/05/10
Yes, the acetone is a great thinner, and will get into and carry a heavier oil into small places. Evaporates quickly though, so keep ones container well capped.
Posted By: GrizzlyBear Re: penetrating oil test - 02/06/10
Went to wikipedia, which we all know as a credible source of information, and here's what it says about toxicology.

Toxicology

Acetone is believed to exhibit only slight toxicity in normal use, and there is no strong evidence of chronic health effects if basic precautions are followed.[14]

At very high vapor concentrations, acetone is irritating and, like many other solvents, may depress the central nervous system. It is also a severe irritant on contact with eyes, and a potential pulmonary aspiration risk. In one documented case, ingestion of a substantial amount of acetone led to systemic toxicity, although the patient eventually fully recovered.[15] Some sources estimate LD50 for human ingestion at 1.159 g/kg; LD50 inhalation by mice is given as 44 g per cubic meter, over 4 hours.[16]

Acetone has been shown to have anticonvulsant effects in animal models of epilepsy, in the absence of toxicity, when administered in millimolar concentrations.[17] It has been hypothesized that the high-fat low-carbohydrate ketogenic diet used clinically to control drug-resistant epilepsy in children works by elevating acetone in the brain.[17]
Posted By: 1234567 Re: penetrating oil test - 02/06/10
Is acetone the same stuff that is used to remove fingernail polish?
Posted By: Brasshound Re: penetrating oil test - 02/06/10
Yup.. My wife pays 3-7 dollars for a sample sized container for her nails,,,, I buy a gallon of 13-16 dollars.. Go figure...
Posted By: dave284 Re: penetrating oil test - 02/07/10
Which ATF did they use? Dexron III, Dexron VI, Mercon, etc... or does it make s difference?

Thanks,
Dave.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: penetrating oil test - 02/08/10
I'll bet it doesn't matter. Make some up and try it out!
Posted By: Tejano Re: penetrating oil test - 02/08/10
The Ed's Red works pretty well. Then mix up a second batch with acetone as a penetrating oil. I throw in some Kroil and Citra Solve for good measure but probably not necessary.

Be careful on wooden stocks and finish and I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't do a number on synthetic stocks as well.

Transmission fluid is a high detergent oil with modifiers. Most of the old cleaning formulas were similar to ATF and had banana oil and Benzene added (old Hoppes #9).
Posted By: Dons1 Re: penetrating oil test - 02/08/10
Here's Ed Harris' formula. Believe Dextron is the preferred type of ATF.
http://home.comcast.net/~dsmjd/tux/dsmjd/tech/eds_red.htm
Posted By: whelennut Re: penetrating oil test - 02/08/10
Other than the fact that acetone is not beneficial to my
health, and dries out my skin, it sounds like a fantastic option.
I'll stick to my Kroil for now!
whelennut
Posted By: 2Seventy Re: penetrating oil test - 02/08/10
Best stuff I ever used over the years was a product made by Justice Bros. called JB 80. I've used Blaster(smells really bad) and WD40 and neither worked nearly as well as JB 80.

Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: penetrating oil test - 02/08/10
I've had good luck with brake fluid and ATF.
Butch
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: penetrating oil test - 02/08/10
I've had good luck with brake fluid and ATF.
Butch
Posted By: jagdgewehr Re: penetrating oil test - 02/10/10
I use a 50/50 mixture of kroil and hoppes no.9. It works great on nasty barrels(like surplus rifle bores). Saturate a patch and let it sit. Anyways, works good for me.
© 24hourcampfire