Home
Posted By: Colorado1135 coloring a pistol? - 02/21/10
I've seen some pistols with frames that are pink, camo and other colors, are those anodized finishes?

I'm curious because I want to have a ruger semi auto pistol upper/barrel done. does anyone know who does this? or what the process is called?

I've seen rifle bolts colored this same way too
Posted By: exbiologist Re: coloring a pistol? - 02/21/10
Like this? I couldn't help but buy it when I saw it, but sold it not long after. I have no idea how it was done either, but am curious also.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: kend Re: coloring a pistol? - 02/21/10
Gunkote, Duracoat,Cerakote and several more just google'em
Posted By: like2shoot Re: coloring a pistol? - 02/21/10
Here are 7 colors from Lauer http://www.lauerweaponry.com/item-d...c&CFID=42923005&CFTOKEN=84729171

Here are some more http://www.lauerweaponry.com/item-d...r&CFID=42923005&CFTOKEN=84729171

Look at the Lauer site, there is a lot of info and pics.
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: coloring a pistol? - 02/21/10
but its more than just a paint or finish
I heard it was done with electricity and its done on a molecular level
Posted By: ColdBore Re: coloring a pistol? - 02/21/10
That would be anodizing on an aluminum frame. Equate it to bluing on steel. No buildup, just a finish right at the surface level. Not sure how cost effective it would be on one piece, after the fact, as opposed to the small markup of a manufacturer that runs through hundreds in a batch, batch after batch, day after day.

The others listed above obviously are coatings on top of the metal.

Of the two, especially on a handgun that may be carried for defense, I'd take anodizing every time over a coating.

Posted By: hawkins Re: coloring a pistol? - 02/21/10
Since they are making guns from plastic and potmetal, why not
pink?.
Take Care!
Posted By: shooter42 Re: coloring a pistol? - 02/21/10
the sigs are anodized,had one, the walthers have the color added to the plastic before they mold them, daughter has the pink 22 rimfire and the interior of the pistol is the same as the exterior.from a machinist friend of mine the process for aluminum is a bit expensive for "one piece" and as others have said the others are coatings of one sort or another.
Posted By: 1234567 Re: coloring a pistol? - 02/21/10
Some of these finishes are a type of Teflon that is sprayed on, then baked.
Posted By: Brasshound Re: coloring a pistol? - 02/21/10
I prefer Cerakote
Here is a couple I have done.. Let me know if I can help..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire