Home
Ok I give how do you drop the bolt on this rifle?
Kinda hard to explain but I'll try.

You withdraw the bolt until the bolthead reaches a cutout portion in the right side rail. At this point you rotate the bolthead up and the bolt will slide right out.
OK, here is Frank de Haas' explanation.

"Remove the bolt by raising the bolt handle and pulling the bolt back as far as it will go; then rotate the bolt head by lifting up on the extractor lug, and the bolt can be pulled from the action."
LMAO ive been messing with this for awhile and just did it, thaty was something i wouldve never thought of. As usual nsaqam you were very helpful thanks.
That is definitely not an intuitive procedure!

I don't know if you're aware but they made several different bolt heads for the Enfield each with a slightly different length.
They used these bolt heads to adjust headspace on the rifle.
If yours develops excessive headspace you can swap out to the next thicker head and correct the problem.
The more i learn about these rifles the more obvious it it they were built in wartime. I think im gonna have fun with this one, believe im gonna put it in a ram line and put a fixed six on it and shoot the crap out of it.
Originally Posted by nsaqam
That is definitely not an intuitive procedure!

I don't know if you're aware but they made several different bolt heads for the Enfield each with a slightly different length.
They used these bolt heads to adjust headspace on the rifle.
If yours develops excessive headspace you can swap out to the next thicker head and correct the problem.

that is if you can find the bolt heads of different lengths AND find the one you actually need......they are hard to find anymore last i knew....
They may be hard to find but Springfield Sporters still lists them for $10 and Sarco lists them as well.
These may be old listings and I didn't call them to check on availability.

I know I see quite a few of them at every gunshow I attend.
huh.....couldnt find one when i went looking for one for one of the other SMLE's i used to have.....you must have better gun shows than i do over here grin
Kinda late, but here's site with pics and detailed instructions:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/smle/rifledisassembly/index.asp
© 24hourcampfire