Home
Posted By: rubbinoil dark cracks in stock - 05/06/10
I'm repairing a Higgins comm 98 stock that was bedded lousy and is all busted up inside. I think I can make the inside solid again, but there are cracks out of the tang edges down into the wrist. They are closed tight but black. I've read here about how to keep them from going farther, but how do I lighten the black so they don't show after finishing? Tried whiting with den alc. It worked a little the first try, then nothing. I've heard steam and also oxylic acid. Haven't tried those yet - I'm still asking anyone that might have fixed this.
Thanks in advance,
Posted By: kend Re: dark cracks in stock - 05/06/10
I got this information right here recently and it works. I've used whiting with little success. Get some real cheap kitty litter. The expensive stuff will not work. I made the kitty litter into a thin mud in my wife's Vita Mix. I coated the oil soaked areas with the mud and put the stock in my smoker for heat. It will take more than one application, but the kitty litter really sucks up the oil. I would suggest you find a blender at a thrift store. Another benefit of this procedure is that your stock will smell like jerky when you are finished. Ken
Posted By: like2shoot Re: dark cracks in stock - 05/06/10
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3902190/1

The thread you mentioned.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: dark cracks in stock - 05/06/10
Originally Posted by kend
I made the kitty litter into a thin mud in my wife's Vita Mix.
shocked Brave man!

Originally Posted by kend
I would suggest you find a blender at a thrift store.
Oh yeah! wink

Thanks, enjoyed that. Been a rough day.
Posted By: BlueDoe Re: dark cracks in stock - 05/16/10
Also make sure you relieve the wood at the end of the tang, contact there is what causes the cracks.. You can undercut the area so you do not have a gap showing.
© 24hourcampfire