Home
I recently purchased the older version of Williams bottom metal for a Remmy long action that does not have an inside-the-bow release. The rifle is currently bedded into a McMillan stock that is inletted for the Remmy factory pot metal.

How difficult is it to inlet the for the Williams? Can an average knucklehead with a Dremel tool, sharp chisels and some patience pull this off? Or is this strictly a job for a pro? Would like to hear from those who have actually attempted this. Thanks for any help
I'm not a gunsmith but I did something similar. I have a model 70 that I converted from a blind magazine to a drop down floorplate. It turned out really good. I took the slow approach to removing material and it fits better than a lot of factory jobs.

A little patience, some careful use of the dremel tool, razor knife, chisels and sandpaper wrapped around a socket or straightedge for the final fitting is how I did it.

fish head
It can be done but why take the chance, especially with a McMillan. Take it to a good gunsmith and let him do the work. I debated the same thing myself when I switched from a two-piece TG to a Williams one-piece for a Win 70. I decided to send the stock off to Redneck to do it. He did a GREAT job with it. He is a M70 expert but I think he is willing to work M700s too. Send him a PM and he'll give you a quote.

RH
For anybody wondering:

[Linked Image]
The Williams unit I got for my SC Model 70 was pretty much a drop in.
I think the sides of the floorplate are beveled, so that needs to be accommodated when doing the instal.
I guess I should have added this caveot. A dremel tool can be someone's friend or their worst enemy. One slip and oooooooops, damage done. I used to be an aircraft propeller mechanic and I've had lot of hands on experience with die grinders and dremel tools. I used them for many years.

A whole lot of caution in using one is advised.

fish head
Originally Posted by fish head
A dremel tool can be someone's friend or their worst enemy.

Dremel tools smell fear, like a cornered tiger.

If you ain't got a grip on the situation, it's gonna chew something up.
I worked on mine for about a total of 12 hours to get it to fit my McMil. then another 2 hours to get it to not interfer with the jewel trigger..All this was done on a mod. 70. Then again I'm alittle slow on the mill. Still gonna have to use some bedding to clear it up for a perfect fit.
20 minutes on a Bridgeport and it was done. I wouldn't do it with a Dremel on a bet.
So the 12 hour include the BM and the jewel trigger..
This one has a Rifle Basix and it fit right in with no problems. Most tedious part is clamping the stock in the right position!
© 24hourcampfire