Home
I am thinking about upgrading my base screws to 8-40 on my remington 700 what would be a reasonable price for a gunsmith to charge for this?
For the receiver I charge $25 set up and $20.00 per hole.
$105.00???

Dang.. I gotta raise my prices... laugh laugh
Little more than I expected,is it worth it or just one of those upgrades that isn't needed? It's a remington 700 with a mark 4 base,tps rings and a zeiss conquest 4.5-14x44.Never needed bigger screws before just was tossing around the idea. Let me know what you guys think, Thanks!
Well, you have to completely disassemble the action and set it up in the milling machine just like you are starting from scratch. Then you have to dial in on an existing hole, then drill and tap each hole like you are, well, starting from scratch. Sometimes the presence of an existing hole causes problems.

Is it worth it? That depends on how hard you are on the rifle, and the value you place on your optics. If nothing else, it provides added insurance.
Completely disasemble the rifle? YOU mean take the bolt out of the action?
The front hole has the barrel under it.It probably needs to be removed! Lightman
Originally Posted by lightman
The front hole has the barrel under it.It probably needs to be removed! Lightman

Not if you can drill and tap a blind hole.

This is a job I wouldn't hesitate to do myself with my drillpress and a tap guide.
That sounds reasonable. The man has to feed his family and keep the lights on and tools sharp, not to mention various other overhead items.
Thanks for the info guys I appreciate it.
Originally Posted by highridge1
Little more than I expected,is it worth it or just one of those upgrades that isn't needed? It's a remington 700 with a mark 4 base,tps rings and a zeiss conquest 4.5-14x44.Never needed bigger screws before just was tossing around the idea. Let me know what you guys think, Thanks!

For the scope you're using, it's not needed IMHO... But I've seen a few guys mount scopes that are nearly as heavy as the action.. For those, you need 8/40s and steel rings..
That's what I was thinking too. The bases are 8-40 adaptable so I could switch over some day if need be, Thanks for the advice, Chris
Or switch to a Seekins or Nightforce picatinny rail that has a built in "recoil lug" that butts up to the front of the port.
I was going to get the nightforce but didn't want the scope mounting restrictions with the base hanging over the barrel 2 inches.I like the full lug on the Mark 4 base.Also Midway wouldn't give me the promotional $30 off since a nightforce product was being ordered! LOL
© 24hourcampfire