Home
I have aquired a new barrel for my model 100 in 308 caliber. The old barrel has a bulge about 4 inches from the end. I hate sinking any more money into this rifle taking it to a gunsmith. My question is can I do this barrel swap myself and if so any tips on doing it correctly. I have had the action apart and verified it does have the new replacement firing pin. Tom
I think that a Winchester 100 is a rebarrel job that I'd want somebody with experience to tackle.

Have you considered cutting the original barrel back to behind the bulge and recrowning? I have a short barreled Winchester 100, a rifle cut back to 17", and it works pretty well.

JEff
I thought of that but this almost new barrel kind of fell in my lap and would really like to keep the gun original. I was hoping someone would tell me it is just a screw in barrel and go for it. Tom
Originally Posted by TomA
I was hoping someone would tell me it is just a screw in barrel and go for it. Tom

If they were only that simple. Even that which appears to be the simplest of jobs can instantly turn into a can or worms for a seasoned pro when he least expects it. Hiring a gunsmith would be a good move considering the money you could lose if you screwed up the receiver.
pay the gunsmith
Took it to the gunsmith this morning. $65 and ready in 1-2 weeks. Turned out to be quite painless. Thanks all. Tom
Originally Posted by TomA
Took it to the gunsmith this morning. $65 and ready in 1-2 weeks. Turned out to be quite painless. Thanks all. Tom

That's a good deal. Glad to hear it. Let us know how it turns out.
© 24hourcampfire