Home
Posted By: Fire Hawk Which Pad? - 08/27/11
I need a gunsmith's help. I have a Boyd's JRS laminated stock on my push feed model 70 7mm Rem Mag. I would like to put a Pachmyr Decelerator or Simms Limbsaver recoil pad on the stock. Do either of them make one that will screw right on that stock or will I need to have one grinded to fit?

Thanks in advance!

FH
Posted By: oneoldsap Re: Which Pad? - 08/27/11
Probably going to have to grind to fit . I have never seen a pad listed for a boyd's stock .
Posted By: Fire Hawk Re: Which Pad? - 08/29/11
oneoldsap,

Thanks! I was afraid that someone would say that. I knew I should have come up with the extra few bucks when i bought the stock way back when. My rifle now has an extra 2" of barrel length and is a heavier contour with my new barrel.

Thought that it would "kick less". Not....either that or I am a big wimp now. Wouldn't be surprised if that is the real issue, as I hadn't had to do real load development for the rifle in years. I just used it for hunting and practiced with its little brother in 7mm08. Now I am having to do load development and it was a little uncomfortable after 20 or so shots yesterday. A better pad must be in the works.

Thanks!
Posted By: HiredGun Re: Which Pad? - 08/29/11
A pad will take some of the sting out of the recoil but a brake will take away up to or just over half of the recoil. A brake will give you by far the most comfortable shooting rifle for the money. Once in awhile I use my 300Wby for varminting or general plinking. With a brake it's no trouble to shoot it 100 times.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Which Pad? - 08/29/11
Originally Posted by oneoldsap
Probably going to have to grind to fit . I have never seen a pad listed for a boyd's stock .
And even the ones that are supposed to be 'pre-fit', don't at times..
© 24hourcampfire