Home
Posted By: osix Alloy trigger guard Mauser 98 - 09/02/11

Does anyone know of a manufacturer of a decent alloy trigger guard / floorplate for 98 Mausers ?
Thanks
Brownell's carries them ($26): http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=9718/Product/MAUSER_98_TRIGGERGUARD___FLOORPLATE

The PAWS Aluminum bottom metal [linked above by Rangr44] for Mausers weighs 3.5 ounces, as opposed to 8.625 ounces for typical steel bottom metal.

It costs $65 and so the weight savings is ~ $13/ ounce.

It also gets you from 8x57mm cartridge length to 30-06 cartridge length without having to mill out the inside of the mag well.
Posted By: osix Re: Alloy trigger guard Mauser 98 - 09/03/11
Cleaned up and powder coated would be ideal; unfortunately PAWS aren't registered for export. Brownells aren't able to send to Australia.
Yeah, like that's on every terrorist's wish list. We have some stupid, nonsensical laws.
In 2001 I was doing consulting work for an outfit that made hardened displays for night vision for attack helicopters.

Every time we got a new model running, some manager would come into the light room, grab our serial number one, and 5 minutes later he would have an export permit approved to send it to communist China.
Rangr44;
Thank you kindly for the link sir, I'll be calling them Tuesday to see if they can ship this part north of the medicine line to this Canuck.

Sometimes they can and sometimes they can't, so we'll see.

For those who are interested, this is a steel unit from a HVA I believe.
[Linked Image]

This is some sort of aluminum alloy bottom metal that Parker Hale used.
[Linked Image]

As you can see, both are substantially heavier than 3.7oz on the one from Brownells.

Now all I need is for them to be able to ship it to me and we'll try one out!

Thanks again and all the best to you this long weekend.

Regards,
Dwayne
Dwayne, I seem to remember Del Selins (Vernon) having something similar a few years ago, he may have some around yet. Might be worth a quick call.
The alloy Husqvarna unit is close to 4 ounces if you run across one of those...
FWIW, the solid sides of a Mauser (type) magazine well can easily be "Swiss Cheesed" with a hand drill & a 1/2" bit, w/o compromising strength, safety or feeding.

Also, home hobbyists, with access to a milling machine, can rout out lightening channels in the receiver's sidewalls, below the stock line.

Likewise, lightening channels can be routed out in the stock's barrel channel and drill/hollow out the buttstock, under the BP.

Weaver 2-piece scope bases are 1/4th the weight of the typical Leupold/Burris/Redfield steel base for dovetail turnout rings.

I thought PTG had plans for a lightweight allow unit for the 98 Mauser. Seem to recall reading a post about it about a year ago. I have a 98Mauser project that I'd like to replace the steel unit with a PTG alloy unit if they ever get a 98 Mauser unit ready for sale.
I remember that thread as well...A PTG alloy trigger guard would be nice. The one that brownells carries, if it is the same one that I have, is light but quite ugly.
It is ugly. However the "game scene" could be covered with Marine Tex, shaped and the Duracoated with their air cure formula. Just a thought.
Resurrecting this thread . . . .

Does anyone know if the P.A.W.S. alloy unit will work on an Interarms Mark X?
Posted By: FZY Re: Alloy trigger guard Mauser 98 - 07/06/12
Also wondering if this would work on a cz action?
© 24hourcampfire