Home
Posted By: BRISTECD BRNO ZG-47 or Model 21 - 11/02/11
I have a chance to pick up the following 8x57 barreled action. They listed it as a Brno ZG-47, but I think it is from a 21H. ZG-47 is large ring (correct?) and this appears to be a small ring. Only modification I can see is someone drilled and tapped for a receiver peep sight like a Lyman 48 or something and replaced the safety, other than that I don't see anything unusual. What would be a good price and can I get a stock for it?
[Linked Image]
Posted By: stocker Re: BRNO ZG-47 or Model 21 - 11/02/11
Looks like a 21 receiver but quite a few things don't appear original to 21's I;ve owned including the whole magazine/bottom metal which resembles the FN unit found on J. C. Higgins rifles, the trigger appears to be straight military style, cocking piece shroud and safety have been changed out. Does the bolt handle retain a buuterknife handle or is it a knob?
Posted By: patbrennan Re: BRNO ZG-47 or Model 21 - 11/03/11
It certainly is a small ring receiver, year of manufacture should be stamped on it (last 2 digits), towards the front of the left side if I remember correctly.Looks like the butterknife bolt handle.
No idea on prices in the US. Not a bad start to a custom, for sure! For myself, I'd want to change the trigger, safety (winchester style), and bolt handle. Bottom metal is less of an issue for a hunting rifle, for me.
Pat
Posted By: BRISTECD Re: BRNO ZG-47 or Model 21 - 11/03/11
Yes, it has the butterknife bolt handle as well.
Posted By: 22WRF Re: BRNO ZG-47 or Model 21 - 11/03/11
What is the seller asking for it?
Posted By: BRISTECD Re: BRNO ZG-47 or Model 21 - 11/03/11
$350 with an unfinished stock
Posted By: 22WRF Re: BRNO ZG-47 or Model 21 - 11/03/11
As long as everything were functional and safe I don't think I would hesitate at that price. Even if you leave it as an 8 x 57 (and handload for it) it would make a great deer rifle just the way it is with the addition of a stock.

And who knows what it could become if you later on decide to turn it over to a custom metalsmith and stockmaker.
Posted By: patbrennan Re: BRNO ZG-47 or Model 21 - 11/03/11
I'd jump on it hard at that price!
Looks like a Brno 21 with an aftermarket trigger. Most likely you will find a date stamped on the left side of the barrel indicating the year of manufacture. It will be a 49 or later due to the integral mounts. A fine rifle.

ddj
Posted By: DickD Re: BRNO ZG-47 or Model 21 - 11/05/11
The ZG-47 Brno is indeed a small ring and has the 3/4" intergral dovetails on the top of the actions.
Originally Posted by DickD
The ZG-47 Brno is indeed a small ring and has the 3/4" intergral dovetails on the top of the actions.

I believe the ZG47 is a large ring.

ddj
Posted By: Dave93 Re: BRNO ZG-47 or Model 21 - 11/06/11
BRISTECD....did you wind up buying the barreled action?? It appears the someone wound up taking the original bolt shroud/safety, double set trigger, and bottom metal and replaced with FN (?) import parts possibly. Even with all that, I think that it is still a good deal. If you pick up this bad boy let us know what you are going to do with it.
Posted By: Yochanan Re: BRNO ZG-47 or Model 21 - 01/07/12
That is a model 21 action and 350$, an excellent price - buy. ZG-47 is the large ring action, I have a few of them.

A nice Duane Wiebe or Blackburn floorplate/magazine, a model 70 style safety and shroud, recknagel trigger......Custom rifle nightmares - as usual.
© 24hourcampfire