Home
Posted By: Load Crown damage Ruger SP101 - 12/20/11
I decided to test out some .357 hydro shock ammo over Thanksgiving on a un-carved pumpkin and discovered that my SP101 w/ fixed sights was shooting way left. Roughly 1.5 feet left. This was with 4 types of ammo and 3 different shooters. In talking with some of the more knowledgeable gun folks in my daily life and one suggested looking for crown damage. Well I discovered a gouge in the crown of the barrel. So I believe I need to get it re-crowned. Does anyone have an idea of roughly what that costs? I would rather get it fixed and not pawn it off on some poor sap. Plus I like the gun. Also, anyone in the Portland/Vancouver area have recommendations for a reputable gunsmith?
Posted By: Malm Re: Crown damage Ruger SP101 - 12/20/11
I pull barrels and run them in the lathe to crown. I charge 50-75.00 plus freight. A handgun has to be shipped over night which would be cost prohibitive so I would suggest, (a) Find someone local who can do it right, or (b) find someone who can pull the barrel and ship just that to your gunsmith of choice.
Anyway you can post a pic or two. I can't imagine a wonky crown throwing shots by 1.5 feet at pistol ranges.
Posted By: Load Re: Crown damage Ruger SP101 - 12/20/11
I'll try to get pictures tonight. Range was about 15 yards to obtain the 1.5 feet of error.
Posted By: Load Re: Crown damage Ruger SP101 - 12/20/11
and its the 2.25 inch barrel. It was dead on last time I shot it.
Posted By: keeki Re: Crown damage Ruger SP101 - 12/21/11
depends on how bad it is. If not too bad, just get a brass buttonhead screw and drill and dress it yourself.
Posted By: Dons1 Re: Crown damage Ruger SP101 - 12/21/11
I'll add (c) to Malm's excellent recommendations: Send'r back to Ruger. Maybe even ask for a longer barrel, if you'd prefer one.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Crown damage Ruger SP101 - 12/21/11
Doesn't even have to be a gunsmith. Heck, any good machinist can chuck a barrel in a lathe and re-crown it. 'Taint rocket science. I do all my own crowning in my lathe, successfully, and I'm not a "gunsmith" nor have I had a lot of formal training.
I had a sako couldnt throw a good group with any ammo. Had it recrowned shoots sub.5inch with most ammo.Take it to a good gunsmith 50 bucks should do the job.
Posted By: Load Re: Crown damage Ruger SP101 - 02/08/12
Anyone know of a good gunsmith in the Portland area?
© 24hourcampfire