Home
I know this has been posted before, but I can't find the link. I am looking for a good/cheap degreaser for Duracoat/Cerakote that will not leave any residue?
I use lacquer thinner and have had no problems. Lauer says that "most" lacquer thinner is fine, but not as good as their product. I'd like to find a non petroleum base degreaser that would work.
Acetone or industrial alcohol should do it, but don't get acetone on your stock finish.
Thanks for the input. I have already sandblasted the action. Would it be best to degrease first, then sandblast? In the past, I would sandblast, then degrease but have had some problems with the finish and suspect it to have been the degrease solution.
If you do not degrease before blasting, your media will get contaminated (even lightly) and will continue to drive grease into the metal.

I know you can degrease it off of the blasted metal, but why let it get there?

I detail strip and wash with very hot soapy water and a toothbrush before blasting. If there is any hardened oils I use Wipeout or engine degreaser to soften it, then I wash it again.

Aluminum Oxide is expensive and you may as well keep it as clean as possible for as long as possible.
I use brake cleaner before, then Simple Green and as hot of water as I can stand after blasting.
When degreasing before rust bluing, I use Mean Green first then Castrol Super Clean.
I use lacquer thinner or brake cleaner, then an acetone wipe. I generally have acetone on hand for making the 50/50 acetone / atf penetrant mix.
I blast then put latex gloves on to handle the piece. I use Carb/Brake cleaner in aerosol cans sold by Wal-Mart. Works like a charm.
© 24hourcampfire