Home
Posted By: Paul39 Rimfire Liner Accuracy - 04/13/12
I don't know if this is the best place to pose this question, but here goes.

Has anybody ever compared before/after accuracy with a common .22 rifle originally barreled and chambered in the short/long/long rifle configuration, and then relined with a dedicated .22 LR liner?

In theory I would think that a barrel set up for just the .22 LR would be more accurate than a compromise twist, but I wonder how that would actually play out.

Paul
Posted By: Nessmuk Re: Rimfire Liner Accuracy - 04/13/12
I've done plenty of liners. They are accurate. You end up with a better fitting chamber than on an older rifle. The new crown helps a lot too.
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Rimfire Liner Accuracy - 04/13/12
All of that makes sense, as "restoring" is the basic reason .22 rifles get relined.

But, condition being equal, does the dedicated LR twist, etc., improve accuracy?

There has to be a reason that common sporting .22s used to have a barrel and chamber for S,L,LR, while the higher grades and target rifles were for LR only.

Perhaps my question can't be answered definitively, but I thought I'd ask.

Paul
Posted By: Nessmuk Re: Rimfire Liner Accuracy - 04/13/12
I'd use an Anshutz for a basis. What ever twist is in those is the best for LR ammo.
1:16 seems to be standard for .22 LR barrels. I'd surmise that would be what Anschutz uses.

Of course there is more to accuracy than just the twist. I have a shooting buddy who has a short lined .22 with a Lilja liner about 16" long, with the rest of the barrel "freebored" with the rest of the 5/16" hole for the liner. He is a very serious target shooter, and he swears it is the most accurate rifle he has owned, bar none. Of course, he is sold on the concept.

I'm tempted to try it, but it would be an expensive boondoggle if it didn't produce a notable improvement in accuracy. I'd go with a common Redman liner. A Lilja isn't on my menu.

Paul

Posted By: bea175 Re: Rimfire Liner Accuracy - 04/13/12
If your rifle is bad enough to require a barrel liner , then the liner would almost all ways show a improvement in accuracy .
Originally Posted by bea175
If your rifle is bad enough to require a barrel liner , then the liner would almost all ways show a improvement in accuracy .

True enough, but that wasn't the context of my question, which was more theoretical than the typical relining scenario to deal with a bad bore.

For example, NRA smallbore lever silhouette rules allow a relined original barrel, but not replacement. A shooter wanting to set up for optimal accuracy might try such a reline, even if the original S,L,LR barrel were in decent condition.

Thanks for all the replies.

Paul

Posted By: hawkins Re: Rimfire Liner Accuracy - 04/13/12
If you shoot shorts get the twist for shorts (See Brownwlls).
I have had several rifles relined, the thing to watch is
if the end of the chamber is clean (no ridge). Other than
that they shoot fine. Avoid Numrich liners POS.
they always shoot better as the reason for relining is due to pitted bores. i did an old martini target rifle and it shot better than origonal. its bore was pretty good to start with. i have also done some 17 liners in bolt action 22 and they shoot great. one in paticular shot 1/2 in at 100 yds out of a ruger 77-22
i always use Redman for liners
Posted By: bea175 Re: Rimfire Liner Accuracy - 04/17/12
Originally Posted by Paul39
Originally Posted by bea175

True enough, but that wasn't the context of my question, which was more theoretical than the typical relining scenario to deal with a bad bore.

For example, NRA smallbore lever silhouette rules allow a relined original barrel, but not replacement. A shooter wanting to set up for optimal accuracy might try such a reline, even if the original S,L,LR barrel were in decent condition.

Thanks for all the replies.

Paul

I would bet the accuracy would be determined on how precisely you drill the hole and installed the liner
they always shoot better as the reason for relining is due to pitted bores. i did an old martini target rifle and it shot better than origonal. its bore was pretty good to start with. i have also done some 17 liners in bolt action 22 and they shoot great. one in paticular shot 1/2 in at 100 yds out of a ruger 77-22
Posted By: hawkins Re: Rimfire Liner Accuracy - 04/17/12
Brownells sells Redman liners and they are nicer to deal with.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Rimfire Liner Accuracy - 04/17/12
I had a large Martini (.577-.450) that had been converted to .22LR by lining the bore, for a Miniature Rifle Society in England. The liner was one of the Parker liners judging from the stamp on the crown. My god how that thing shot! I swapped it away due to the fact that even though it shot scary accurately, it bulged cases badly, and ruptured more than a few.
Posted By: Mesa Re: Rimfire Liner Accuracy - 04/17/12
I doubt if the OP will get an answer. Most relines are done on guns that have worn out or neglected bores and are done to preserve a fine old gun's exterior appearance and save a boatload of money.

The kind of experiment he's describing would only be done by a lab trying to verify the value of a given make of liner, or by the very nuttiest of rifle loonies. And a big spender-- a very rare combination in my experience--I'm quite looney enough but 'way too cheap! When curiosity has this high a price, I wait for somebody else to pay.....
Posted By: ruger438 Re: Rimfire Liner Accuracy - 04/24/12

Has anybody ever compared before/after accuracy with a common .22 rifle originally barreled and chambered in the short/long/long rifle configuration, and then relined with a dedicated .22 LR liner?

In theory I would think that a barrel set up for just the .22 LR would be more accurate than a compromise twist, but I wonder how that would actually play out.

Paul

Not sure the difference between a S/L/LR chamber and a "dedicated" LR chamber.

To my mind re-lining would allow you to use a "match" reamer to chamber, and headspaced correctly. THAT could certainly make a difference- or not, depending on the rifles current configuration.
Posted By: DonMarkey Re: Rimfire Liner Accuracy - 04/24/12
It is the twist rate not the chamber.
Don
Posted By: hawkins Re: Rimfire Liner Accuracy - 04/25/12

Actually the chamber has a great deal to do with accuracy.
knowing how barrels are made. there are way to many varables to debate. the old pr 1950s barrels were cut rifled and shot really good there are target quality barrels and so called target barrels. just because its a bull barrel doesnt make it shoot that much better. unless you spring for a genuine target barrel like a benchmark or such you problly wont tell the dif from lined barrel.

Paul

Phew !

Sure a lotta' GAS got blown around on this one.

Paul, you're looking for a good hammer forged .375" O.D. liner outta' Kentucky,....

Mike Sayers
TJ's Gateway Enterprises
3652Neltner road
Alexandria Kentucky 41001
(8590)635-5560

I've had GREAT results with his .215' "tight bore" (groove is still standard .221-.222),.....16 pitch, with my Kiff Piloted reamer.

STANDARD VELOCITY ammo being the steady diet, i'm not sure deeper grooves play all that well with the HV stuff..

if you talk to Mike, say hi, if he's going to do another run of .215s, I'd like to put my name on another.

regards,

GTC

Posted By: fishdog52 Re: Rimfire Liner Accuracy - 05/01/12
I had a Win 1890 relined by Redmond, was not a very successful experiment as it did not restore much in the way of accuracy. Further, was probably not a wise project on my part.
Posted By: hawkins Re: Rimfire Liner Accuracy - 05/01/12
As i said before the chamber is most important. The bullwt
should have a short jump and there should not be a ridge
left in the throat from the reamer.
© 24hourcampfire