Home
Posted By: setch Mauser Action Conversion - 06/28/12
All you gunsmiths out there...I'm looking at converting a mauser action and am considering a non-magnum donor with bolt face diameter of .47. As it will be converted to a magnum cartridge, does it make sense to and open it up to .54 OR does that job require so much gunsmithing work that I should really start with a magnum donor that is already at .54?

thnx
Posted By: Jkob Re: Mauser Action Conversion - 06/28/12
Start with a donor!!
Posted By: 22WRF Re: Mauser Action Conversion - 06/28/12
Originally Posted by Jkob
Start with a donor!!

Even I have to laugh at that one!
Posted By: setch Re: Mauser Action Conversion - 06/28/12
Originally Posted by Jkob
Start with a donor!!

Yep, I get it, start with a donor. My question is whether or not a nonmagnum 0.47 diameter bolt face on a standard long action is an acceptable donor for a magnum in standard length. And when I say acceptable, I mean will I end up putting so much money into opening the bolt face, that it I should rather start with a standard manum as the donor.

To be transparent, 30-06 fn as a donor for a 416 ruger
Posted By: ramrod340 Re: Mauser Action Conversion - 06/28/12
If you already have a FN you could look at trading someone actions or finding a magnum bolt. You could probably get it opend to magnum maybe for not that much more than you would pay to transfer actions. I've payed as little as $30-40 to have an action opened. Going rate is probaly more on the order of $50-75.
You are also going to have to open the feed rails. I have bought magnums for 4 hundred. I have bought standards for the same price. You just have to shop around. Look at different gunsmiths for the price of opening the bolt face and altering the feed rails. The only wrong answer is hiring a smith that thinks he can do the work to train on your action.
Posted By: rifle Re: Mauser Action Conversion - 06/28/12
Yep.the bolt is no big deal,but if it don't feed,it will die on the vine...
Posted By: ramrod340 Re: Mauser Action Conversion - 06/28/12
Yep open the rails either std or magnum
Posted By: setch Re: Mauser Action Conversion - 06/28/12
Originally Posted by ramrod340
Yep open the rails either std or magnum

And that answers a question I hadn't even asked yet, so thank you.

Even if $75 to open the face, plus more to widen the rails (regardless of starting with a magnum or standard action), I can live with that as there seem to be more quality options for a non-magnum donor at very reasonable prices.

And what about a small ring HVA mauser? I suspect the pressure is the issue, but could it handle a load as large as a 416ruger?

Posted By: 22WRF Re: Mauser Action Conversion - 06/28/12
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6583480/1
Posted By: ramrod340 Re: Mauser Action Conversion - 06/29/12
I can't remember is the HVA was the small ring 98 action. If ti was it was chamber from the factory in 30-06 and 270. Someone smarter than me would have to tell you if there is enough metal a barrel cut for a small ring to be safe.

I would save a small ring 98 for a nice streamline rifle and look to something else for a 416Ruger
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Mauser Action Conversion - 06/29/12
setch,

Generally experienced Mauser gunsmiths advise against using small-ring actions for magnum rounds.

My .338 Winchester is built on an FN action that was originally for .30-06 rounds. I had a local gunsmith open the bolt face, then modified the extractor and feed rails myself. It's worked really well for 25 years or so now, feeding anything from really shapr spitzers to flat-nose solids.
Posted By: setch Re: Mauser Action Conversion - 06/29/12

<smile> I had that thread saved myself, it was a good one, but thanks for reminding me of it. Any opinion on the small ring HVA's?
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
setch,

Generally experienced Mauser gunsmiths advise against using small-ring actions for magnum rounds.

My .338 Winchester is built on an FN action that was originally for .30-06 rounds. I had a local gunsmith open the bolt face, then modified the extractor and feed rails myself. It's worked really well for 25 years or so now, feeding anything from really shapr spitzers to flat-nose solids.

John, that was exactly the sort of feedback I was hoping for. I have read so many threads & articles lately that keeping them straight is a challenge, and though I can't find the link...I distintly remember the advice being that a SRM would not withstand pressure much beyond a 30-06. So I had that in the back of my (cluttered) mind, thanks for confirming.

paul

Posted By: 22WRF Re: Mauser Action Conversion - 06/29/12
Originally Posted by setch

<smile> I had that thread saved myself, it was a good one, but thanks for reminding me of it. Any opinion on the small ring HVA's?

My opinion on the HVA action is that they are a great action. Very desireable for making custom rifles. But I wouldn't use one for a .416 Ruger. Not becasue I wouldn't think it was strong enough, but rather because I would just consider the Small ring action more proper for something like a 7 x 57 or a .257 Bob or something like that.

If I was going to make a .416 Ruger I'd probably use a Mark X or Charles Daly Mark X action, either with a magnum bolt face or else open one up to magnum dimensions, or an FN action.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Mauser Action Conversion - 06/29/12
I would much rather have a commercial action than some old military castoff.

I would rather have a 'best' M70 action over a mauser.
What is your cartridge of interest? If you are going for the H&H family, no. You have to remove to much material on the action. You have to remove some on the rails and some on the for the length of the cartridge.

You can fine Husky rifles on gunbroker for 3-4 hundy already in the Win Mag family.
My preferance in actions would be

Browning
Sako
FN or CZ
Husky

There are others out there. (NOTE) CZs come with a single set trigger.
Originally Posted by mausershooter
What is your cartridge of interest? If you are going for the H&H family, no. You have to remove to much material on the action. You have to remove some on the rails and some on the for the length of the cartridge.

You can fine Husky rifles on gunbroker for 3-4 hundy already in the Win Mag family.

416 ruger
My preferance in actions would be

Browning
Sako
FN or CZ
Husky

There are others out there. (NOTE) CZs come with a single set trigger.

Did Sako make a mauser action? If so, which one? I am familiar with teh LR61 (and descendants), but am unaware of any mauser they made.
Posted By: Jkob Re: Mauser Action Conversion - 06/29/12
I just got done converting two Mark-X actions, one a 458 Lott and the other a 416 Rem Mag. Both started life as magnums, a 458 Win and 375 H&H. The 375 was converted to a 416. One thing to consider, the standard bottom metal for the Mark-X will not hold more than three down and that is iffy. I used Weibe bottom metal which will hold four down and one up. No small task. Not only the rails but the underside of the action had to be machined to utilize the ovesize, wider new box. It feeds flawlesly with both pointed and flat nose solids but with a lot of work on the rails. Not cheap either.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/sako_high-power_rifle.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauser

The Sako Mausers are out there but very rare. Them being rare make them pricy!!
Posted By: setch Re: Mauser Action Conversion - 07/01/12
http://www.chuckhawks.com/sako_high-power_rifle.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauser

The Sako Mausers are out there but very rare. Them being rare make them pricy!!

I should have known to check Chuck's website, it's usually my go-to source for research. Thanks for sending along as i had found nothing myself
Posted By: 1234567 Re: Mauser Action Conversion - 07/02/12
That article is somewhat misleading. The actions were made in Belgium at the FN plant, then shipped to Sako for barreling and stockwork. Or, perhaps the rifles were completed in the FN plant and sold through Sako, but those actions were not made by Sako.

The commercial 98, as made by FN has been used for years for building high-dollar custom rifles. Weatherby is one that comes to mind, but I have never heard of a Weatherby with a 98 action being referred to as a Weatherby/Mauser. I guess it could be, but Weatherby did not make the action. FN did.

Browning used FN actions, and in the 50's complete FN rifles were imported by Firearms International, Garcia, and other companies. This same company also imported complete Sako rifles built on Sako actions. Maybe that is where the confusion comes in.

The Sako looks similiar, and is probably just as good, or better than an FN.

I have a rifle with a commercial FN action that came factory equiped with a Sako trigger, so Sako and FN must have had some type of working arrangment for their respective rifles.
The actions are made by FN and sold to Sako. They are Sako specifcation. They are different that other actions. The bolts could be the same, the actions are different. There might be some that are the same. Mauser-FN-Husky and the rest did some very odd things back in the day.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=295258233
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Mauser Action Conversion - 07/13/12

That is not a Sako Mauser.
Posted By: mrfudd Re: Mauser Action Conversion - 07/13/12
I have a Sako Mauser in .375 H&H and would love to find another in 375 or 300 H&H. Mine may have been restocked- it has a schnabel tip and is fairly compact. The barrel was most likely cut as well (21"). It is a joy to carry and shoot. Several PHs tried to talk me out of it on my recent trip to Namibia. You can see the forearm and barrel in my hunt report in the Africa forum.
Originally Posted by JSTUART

I agree this isn't a Sako Mauser. It is a Sako. It does have dual locking lugs and a claw extractor. It is a control round feed. I'll call it a Mauser made by Sako.....
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Mauser Action Conversion - 07/19/12

I agree this isn't a Sako Mauser. It is a Sako. It does have dual locking lugs and a claw extractor. It is a control round feed. I'll call it a Mauser made by Sako.....

I have had a few over the years, and without exception they all had dinky wee Sako extractors and were push feed with manual ejection.
This action has the large Mauser style extractor.

I have had a few over the years, and without ecception they all had dinky wee Sako extractors and were push feed with manual ejection.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Mauser Action Conversion - 07/20/12
No mate....no it doesn't.

That is not the extractor, that is merely a guide....you might actually want to have a look at one.
Go here, spend the money, get what you want made the way you want it.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1849/Product/30-06-Length-Action

or here, these are the same as Interarms.

http://www.zastava-arms.rs/cms/index.php?id=238

Check here to find a USA source: VULCAN ARMS, Inc, 9487 Inver Grove, MN 55076 (651) 451-5956

If you want to build on something more modern then look at:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=32498/Product/Small-700-SA-Receiver-Blued

Scroll down, they have magnum SS long and CMS short magnum receivers.

have fun
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Here's my L579 Sako action, similar to LR61 also a push feed. Based on a Mauser but not exactly. Like JSTUART mentioned, the bar is a guide bar. smile
Gunsmith I work with primarily does Mausera. He's already set up with the cutters for opening the bolt face

If you're looking for someone to set up an action for you send me a pm.
Originally Posted by custombolt
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Here's my L579 Sako action, similar to LR61 also a push feed. Based on a Mauser but not exactly. Like JSTUART mentioned, the bar is a guide bar. smile
I just talked to a custom builder yesterday and he said that the afformentioned Sako's are controlled round feed and that some Remmy shooters have their 7hunerd bolts converted to the Sako extractor. Still not the same as a Mauser extractor but does the same job? Sorry to get off subject again. smile
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Mauser Action Conversion - 07/22/12
The extractor does not capture the rim of the case until it is pushed over it when the case meets resistance from the chamber wall.

The bottom of the bolt face would need to be cutaway to provide controlled feed...same as those horrible Savage big bores.

As for the Sako extractors being used in 700's...I have used the same myself and they work fine...as do 700 extractors, where the Sako extractors shine is when the ppc case is used with a bushed 700 bolt face.

There really is not much new when it comes to firearms...bolts, at least.
JSTUART All my rifles are Mauser military conversions or commercial actions except for one Sako L579. After taking another look at the Sako bolt face, I can see the full rim there. Thanks for spelling it out for me. I don't recall my builder friend mentioning the bottom cut, but he may have. Guess I'm not the sharp younger fellow I used to be. Some things are obvious if you just look. My inclinations stand corrected. Your patience is appreciated. Thanks.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Mauser Action Conversion - 07/23/12
Nothing to be corrected old mate...we are discussing a favourite topic and enjoying the banter, and I for one am interested in such.

When I want a fight I go to the campfire.
© 24hourcampfire