Home
Any of you use Kroil on guns to clean them?
I have used Kroil and 0000 steel wool for many years to remove surface rust. It works well for that and you'll find many other uses.
Remember to oil after KROIL.
Originally Posted by Jericho
That, plus bronze wool - that stuff won't remove bluing..
I have used kroil for about 20 years. I have used it both for aircraft and firearms. I have never had a problem with it.

To add, I recommend using it. I don�t oil after kroil.
Originally Posted by Jericho

I use Kroil with a nylon brush to clean barrels, particularly the powder residue. It's part of my barrel cleaning procedure. I let it sit a while in the barrel and it also seems to help get any copper out before I go to work on major copper deposits, if any.

I also use it for rust removal as some of the other posters.
Kroil and a small wad of burlap will remove rust from even mildly aggressive pitting. Takes a bit (sometimes a lot) more elbow grease than steel wool, but will never harm blue.
I use it to remove rust with fine steel wool, but will now try burlap. I also use it to clean handgun barrels after shooting lead bullets (or moly-coated leab bullets.) It does seem to get under the leading and ease its removal. I let it sit for about 10 minutes before applying the copper brush to the bore.
Kroil is a pretty aggressive solvent, not a lubricant or preservative.

I have never used it to remove rust but it makes sense it would break it down.

I have a glass infused rag I was given by an old 'smith years ago that will polish rust right off without harming bluing or scratching. It's coated with something greasy and I do not know what it is called nor have ever seen anything like it.
I used it to clean the baked on cosmoline in an M1 Carbine I recently picked up. It works like a champ.

© 24hourcampfire