Home
Posted By: 243kid Gun stock painting? - 01/11/13
Has anyone ever tried using Rolled On Bed Liner on a gunstock? I am looking for something to give me a little grip on a Kimber Montana stock. Any suggestions?
Posted By: cal74 Re: Gun stock painting? - 01/11/13
I've seen pictures and it looks like *hit, get some Krylon textured or something along that lines.
Posted By: magtech Re: Gun stock painting? - 01/11/13
Rubber spray in a can. spray it on the areas you want grip. dont ovedue it.
I have a mix that I spray on stcks that matches the HS Precision type of texture, got the recipe from a former employee. If you are wanting a heavy texture, the epoxy grip panels work really well. There's how-to's if you Google it. If you need any help, PM me and I'll tell you how to do it. This stock was a smooth finish laminate before I did the HS coating on it.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: doubletap Re: Gun stock painting? - 01/11/13
IIRC Finn Aagard wrote about masking around the area you want more grip. Then brush with epoxy, sprinkle on some sand, remove tape before epoxy hardens. After the epoxy is hard, paint over your new "checkering".
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Gun stock painting? - 01/11/13
Or get some spray grit from Brownell's which is already black (other colors available) and has a desirable grit.
Posted By: ccrifles Re: Gun stock painting? - 01/11/13
The easiest way I have found is ttape off the area you want grip, thinly brush on epoxy, and sprinkle fine sandblasting sand with a salt shaker. Spray over it with epoxy spay paint (appliance paint from Home Depot, Lowes, ect). I do the whole stock with it to blend and lock the grit in. If it's too much just knock it back lightly with some sand paper. Then cover it all with some Krylon camo paint. I don't know how long it last, but mine has held up for years.

I use to use the Brownell's spray grit, but in my opinion it's a PITA. Not as consistent as the control you have sprinkling it on. The nosal doesn't self clean like regular paint as it's epoxy, so you either have to soak it in acetone or buy the extra nosal for it. Plus it's expensive.

I put grit on the top rails on my fiberglass boat with epoxy, a little roller, the sand blast sand, white epoxy appliance paint, and it came out great and has been durable.
Posted By: oneoldsap Re: Gun stock painting? - 01/11/13
There is an autobody product called GravelGuard that provides all the texture needed on a stock , and it's made to be painted over ! It's tough as nails too , it's made for protecting paint from chipping , on rocker and quarter panels .
Posted By: varmintsinc Re: Gun stock painting? - 01/15/13
Or for real aggressive texturing reach for some devcon 10110. Tape out the outline, lay it on super thin and then use a sponge to blot it, the little spikes will stay up and after it dries you can leave it up or knock it down with sandpaper to the desired texture.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Gun stock painting? - 01/16/13
Originally Posted by magtech

I've been wondering if this stuff would be similar to a Duratouch/Maxxguard coating? Anybody ever try it?

http://www.amazon.com/RUST-OLEUM-26...=8-2&keywords=rustoleum+rubber+clear
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Gun stock painting? - 01/16/13
I paint all of my composite stokes the same

I lay a very good wet coat of Krylon Fusion on the entire stock

Then before that initial base coat dries I shoot a good amount of Rust Olium "stone" then let that all dry over night

I then lay several more coats of Krylon Fusion over the stone paint followed by another texture of webbing with Krylon webbing paint

Let this all dry over night and follow up with a couple coats of Krylon matte clear

The look is like any factory web stock but with far better grip via the bumpy underlayment of the stone paint
Posted By: CLB Re: Gun stock painting? - 01/16/13
Great idea and super easy to do!
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Gun stock painting? - 02/05/13
Originally Posted by DP4
Originally Posted by magtech

I've been wondering if this stuff would be similar to a Duratouch/Maxxguard coating? Anybody ever try it?

http://www.amazon.com/RUST-OLEUM-26...=8-2&keywords=rustoleum+rubber+clear

Here's some more professional choices that would probably get you something very close to the Duratouch / Maxxguard coating.

http://shop.ozarkshydrographics.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CCSoftTouch-QUART

http://www.hydraphics.com/catalog/hydraphics-soft-touch-rubberized-clear-coat-p-173.html
© 24hourcampfire