Home
Posted By: TI3006 J lock - 05/24/05
Functionaly is there really any problems with having the J lock ( wart )on a remington. I simply turned mine off and never thought of it again. Am i missing something?/
Posted By: Elkslayer Re: J lock - 05/24/05
I would imagine the reasons folks don't like it too much are:

1) Destroys the look we have all gotten accustom to seeing when looking at a Remington.

2) Just seeing the j-lock reminds us; a) the corporate lawyers really dictate what a company has to put on their rifles to avoid lawsuits, b) that we can not be trusted with the responsible of gun safety
Posted By: MallardAddict Re: J lock - 05/26/05
midway sells a couple replacements for the J-lock from talyor. they are $19.99 for the shroud and $39.00 for the shroud with titanium firing pin and new fast spring.
Posted By: texagun Re: J lock - 05/28/05
I asked the same question on the Remington Forum about a month ago and never got an answer, so guess it must not be a big deal. I have read elsewhere that they are subject to breakage or failure but have found absolutely no proof or confirmation for that claim. I bought a new 700 BDL with a J Lock...just threw the keys in a drawer and never used it. I don't even notice it on the rifle so it's no big deal for me. I have read that Remington has discontinued it on the new rifles in 2005.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: J lock - 05/30/05
Functionaly is there really any problems with having the J lock ( wart )on a remington. I simply turned mine off and never thought of it again. Am i missing something?/

If you have a older non J-Lock M700 to compare, it is self explanatory. The convoluted firing pin assembly of the J-Lock thingie almost certianly rubs against the inside of the bolt housing. Mine was--I've replaced two of them. I have read on various forums that the spring was pushing hard enough against the inside of the bolt to make it difficult to pull the firing pin assembly out of the housing. This cannot be a good thing in my estimation. To say the least, it will slow down lock time--one of the "features" of M700's. I would think crud could make the friction worse. Remington has dropped the ludicrous J-Lock this year. Thank God.

Midway and Sinclair's both sell replacement firing pin assemblies, $45-$65.

Casey
© 24hourcampfire