Home
Does anyone even mess with parkerizing anymore? Whats your pick to toughen up a blued rifle?
I parkerize and cerakote. Each has it's place.
I parked. a barreled receiver yesterday. It's seasoning in oil as I post. Park is cheap, easy, and durable. Remember to plug the bore and chamber though.
Another vote for Parker.

If you want a coating, put it over Parker.
bluing is beautiful and has it's place on most all firearms. but PArking is about the best and easiest to perform. then if you want the ultimate in protection from weather and abuse Cerrokote over parkerizing. It's not going to be beautiful cobalt blue/black but i'll be damned if you can hurt it.
Can stainless steel be parked?
No
I have gone the Cerakote route. that finish is as tough as it gets. The rifle I took to Africa in Sept has a Cerakote finish and I was crawling on the ground with it in my hand and you could never tell it. I have 3 rifles finished in various colors of Cerakote and I absolutely love it. I bought my nephew a used Marlin 30-30 that I am refinishing the stock on and it is at the Cerakoters right now.
I'll definitely agree with parkerizing and then cerakote over it! Excellent protection.
I live right on the ocean here in AK and its a rough environment. I live right on the ocean, and even stainless has its limits. I think cerakote in a situation like this is best.
All Parkerizing does is hold oil, it offers no protection other than the oil that's in it. I've refinished piles of rusty parkerized rifles. Cerakote is super tough and flat, Duracoat is also plenty tough if done right but most colors aren't as flat, more of a satin.
Just make sure you have someone competent apply your Cerekote. I took two guns to a well recomended applicator and the finish is coming off faster than the original blue. Not the fault of the finish, just the guy that put it on and me for taking it to him.
© 24hourcampfire