Home
A little back ground: I've wanted a 375H&H since I was a kid. I have one but have always wanted to match it up with a 300H&H. My 375 is in a M70 post 64 CRF Safari Express, my wife bought it for me in 1997. I've been looking around and reading. I think I can buy a used M70 post 64 CRF in 7mmRM, 300 Win Mag, 338 Win Mag, and just have it re-barreled to a 300H&H? THINK being the operative word.

Is this correct? Or am I also going to have to get a new follower and box? The same one as the 375H&H?

Or should I look for a used 375H&H?

I found the Montana Custom Rifles build a knock off of the M70 action but they are a little spendy. My budget is $1000 or less and prefer to stay around $700.

What do you think? Is this what I need or is there a better way?

Thanks,
Wild Bill

Originally Posted by Wild_Bill_375
A little back ground: I've wanted a 375H&H since I was a kid. I have one but have always wanted to match it up with a 300H&H. My 375 is in a M70 post 64 CRF Safari Express, my wife bought it for me in 1997. I've been looking around and reading. I think I can buy a used M70 post 64 CRF in 7mmRM, 300 Win Mag, 338 Win Mag, and just have it re-barreled to a 300H&H? THINK being the operative word.

Is this correct? Or am I also going to have to get a new follower and box? The same one as the 375H&H?
You'll need a new magazine, follower, bolt stop and ejector (the latter two can be modified)... It's possible that the rear bridge may need to be opened to allow foolproof ejection but it's not always the case..

Or should I look for a used 375H&H?
That's what I'd recommend, but also the .300WBY, 7mm STW, .300RUM are also on full-length M70 actions; either of those will work fine..

I found the Montana Custom Rifles build a knock off of the M70 action but they are a little spendy. My budget is $1000 or less and prefer to stay around $700.

What do you think? Is this what I need or is there a better way?

Thanks,
Wild Bill

The NH classics are getting a tad scarce - everybody seems to be hangin' onto them..

Another thought - if you don't necessarily NEED the CRF, you can find a good PF action in .300H&H or similar and save a couple c-notes..
Redneck, I was afraid you where going to say what you did!

Finding even a beat 375H&H, 300wby, or 7mmSTW plus barrel in my budget range is hard to do in today's market.

I don't need a CRF that's pretty much a solid want. I have a Rem action now that I could use to convert to a 300H&H....But I just really want to match it to my 375H&H.

Thanks for your input!

Wild Bill
There was a pre-64 in 300HH at my last gunshow. They wanted 1100? Maybe 1150. Had been drilled for scope.

I'd say save a whisker and get one like that. Redneck gave you a good list there. Unless you can get a deal on a donor, the cost of a new barrel and such may exceed what you could have just bought a 300HH for in the first place.
Hope this helps
Wild Bill,

It's far better to buy an existing rifle than to have one 'built'<--(I smile when I read that word here. wink

What to do is to shop for a 300 Win. Mag that's like your .375 rifle wise. It will match and be chambered for a better .300 mag. than the old .300 H&H.

You will find ammo all over for the 300 Win Mag and almost none for the obsolete 300 H&H. Also the excellent shoulder on the 300 Win. Mag. will make headspacing reloads (if you handload) far easier and better than the too shallow sholder of the old 300.

Now if you come across an old M70 in 300 H&H some day for a good price then get it. That way you can tell everyone here that you have a 300 Holland and Holland!

[Linked Image]

.300H&H- 8lb 4oz (3.75kg)
Action:
An original Mauser model '98 action with modified bolt, single-stage trigger and optional wing or side safety for use with a Telescope sight.

Prices from �24,000
[Linked Image]

Todays Factory
'99,
I just can't go with a 300 Win or 300 Wby or any other rooten tooten 30 cal mag. I know folks think the 300H&H is dead and some say good ridens! Maybe it is??? But I reload so it will stay alive with me. LOL I've had a 300 Win and it was okay. I just really like cartridges that were designed for hunting and never used by the military. I had a real hard time having a rifle built for my wife in the 7x57 Mauser. Had the smith mark it 275 Rigby just for that reason. LOL

I could have and should have bought an original Holland and Holland back in 1980 for $1,200. But I was in the military at the time and $1,200 for a rifle back then...well my wife (at the time traded her off and got a better one)would have murdered me with it. LOL

Don't really like the original pre-64's just not my cup of tee. And for sure would never pay what they want for one. Sorry!

I'll find a good used M70 CRF that will be economical for a donor, someday, maybe.

Who's got a Mauser 98 Long Magnum action?

Thanks,
Wild Bill!
Good reply Wild Bill!

That's what we are here for, to have fun talking up the rifles and cartridges that we like so much!

Mauser actions

Man you guys like to bust my bubble!!! Thanks for that link '99. What I need in a Mauser is rarer than hens teeth. LOL

Thanks!
Wild Bill
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=331905118

Only Classic I saw within range..

I've got a PF M70 in .300HH, but not a classic.. But I do have a Classic M70 7mm STW that's available..

PM if interested..
Every bone in my body says don't PM you...I did! "Come into my web and sit for awhile!"

Thanks for the link to the 300 RUM. I also found this one:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=333024118

Albeit a pre-64.

Then again? http://www.armslist.com/posts/1294060/tennessee-rifles-for-sale--winchester-70-alaskan-375-h-h-nib

Thanks,
Wild Bill
Every bone in my body says don't PM you...I did!

Thanks for the link to the 300 RUM. I also found this one:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=333024118

Albeit a pre-64.

Then again? http://www.armslist.com/posts/1294060/tennessee-rifles-for-sale--winchester-70-alaskan-375-h-h-nib

Thanks,
Wild Bill

Nah, dont buy that. It's a pos pre 64... wink
Yeah, plus $575 for just the action is a little high. Cause that's all I need. If you want to sell your 375 Bsa I'd look at that! Cause that's probably the prettiest pre-64 I've seen in a while!

Cheers,
Wild Bill
Ha ha....Hey buddy, I've been thinking along the same exact lines as you in respect to the grand ol 300 H&H. However, I ran across one that caught my eye recently. It's built off of a custom sporterized m1917 (one of my favorite actions). I've been going crazy trying to hold back temptation on the bastid!!!!!I actually just bid on some 300 H&H dies if that tells you anything grin... Getting weak, need help!! sick
Maybe the best option is to buy a Winchester model 70 XTR Sporter in 300 H&H, like the one on Gun Broker? Looks like a nice rifle and solves your need in your price range.

Home : All > Firearms > Rifles > Bolt Action Rifle

Winchester Model 70 XTR Sporter 300 H&H

Auction # 333154947
bsa,

I would not mind a P17 that was done right, new trigger, cock on opening kit, good metal work, drilled & tapped for scope and a decent stock. Would be best if it was made by Winchester or Remington! crazy

I need help too! I have it bad!! But you know ya only live once so you mights well just pull the trigger if it a good deal and rig! wink
'552,

Yeah I was that one too! A friend of mine just bought an XTR NIB in the 300H&H it has a wonderful piece of wood on it. And should be a fine shooter.

Cheers,
Wild Bill
bsa,

I would not mind a P17 that was done right, new trigger, cock on opening kit, good metal work, drilled & tapped for scope and a decent stock. Would be best if it was made by Winchester or Remington! crazy

I need help too! I have it bad!! But you know ya only live once so you mights well just pull the trigger if it a good deal and rig! wink

Thanks for the reassurance grin. That describes this rifle exactly. That's what's making it hard....It doesn't have iron sights but it's still pretty damn nice....I may try to contact the guy and make a deal grin
bsa,
Let me know how it goes. I'd like to see it post some pics when you pull the trigger!
Okay does anybody know where there is a Interarms Whitworth African Express 375 H&H length action??

I know Brownells used to sell them, but no longer! Anybody know of one sitting???

Cheers,
Wild Bill
http://www.gunsinternational.com/WIN-PRE-64-MODEL-70-300-WBY-MAG.cfm?gun_id=100321316

You could buy this and rebarrel back to 300 H&H mag. Myself I found a Sako FN barreled action from the mid fifties for my project.
Sidepass,

Did you build a 300H&H? Pics? Sako FN Commercial action would work!

Thanks,
Wild Bill
Currently at work. In the process
with the Sako . Do own a Montana 1999 in 300 H&H and a Ruger # 1 in 300 H&H. Looney.
I missed an opportunity recently for a Montana NIB. Dang I was just a hour to slow.

Looks like you have a love affair for the H&H! Very cool!
Found if you use 300 WSM load data you are not at any disadvantage with this classic. Use common sense when loading your ammo of course.
When looking for a pre 64 M70 action for a 9.3x62 project every action I found was bought out from under me. Found a Winchester M70 ultimate Shadow for under $500.00 at BPS. CRF and could rebarrel and throw in a Micky if one desires. Another option.
Think in retrospect the Ultimate Shadows are not long enough. 7mm STW 300 WBY like mentioned.
The easiest way to a 300 H&H hands down is to get a Ruger #1B in .30-06 and have it rechambered and a magnum extractor added. Dirt cheap by comparison to the other solutions and you are not going to be tied up with lengthy custom work.

I did it years before Ruger rediscovered the 300 H&H and I'm happy with it.

1B
1B, Yup, That would be the easiest if i wanted a single shot. Had one back in the 80's in a 300 Win Mag and I never really enjoyed it. Killed a couple really nice whitetail bucks in Maine with it, but I'm a bolt guy and sold it. Thank you for your input!

Cheers,
Wild Bill
This is great information as I am interested in some day building a 300 HH myself. I thought at one time, you could order a Zastava M98 long magnum action? I have no idea what it would cost now days, but it might be an option?
http://www.rrguns.us/

Thanks, Sidepass, went there and emailed Rob to see what he has for a long magnum 98 action. He said he'd have to check. Offered up a Montana 1999 which is a expensive option.

Also found a CV action 416 magnum length receiver at Brownells!

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...num-action-sku131-000-003-1849-7172.aspx
First, my .300H&H is an almost mint as in 98% P-64-70, the fourth and last I have owned. It is paired with one just like it, but, only 95% in .375H&H, both in Borden-Rimrock stocks and these are NICE rifles which shoot "bugholes". I much prefer the P-64s to any later Mod. 70s, of which I have two stainless examples, customized by Martini Gunmakers, but, each to his own.

My method of obtaining what you want, one of the finest hunting rounds ever devised and matched in .308" bore only by the superb .308Norma, one of which in a custom FN action sits in one of my safes awaiting when I have time to take it shooting, is as follows.

Simply find the magnumized NH Mod. 70 you need, have the barrel pulled and a .300H&H tube, at 26" installed. Try to follow the P-64 contour as this makes about the best-handling "off hand" rifle I have ever shot ( and that is a few!) and then have a Micky handle stuck on the metal. With Talley QDs and a Leupy 3.5x10, you are hot to trot and it should weigh about 8.5-9lbs.

I would probably go with a "Benchmark" tube as Krieger, Brux and Bartlein are all about 1 year in delivery, I was just told by a Canadian importer for them and Pacnor would be another option.

I like 200 NPs in my .300 mags. and over RE-22 I have excellent results. I would buy Nosler brass and you must be careful in your loading bench technique as this is easy to crumple necks, as is the .375 H&H and the hideously expensive RWS 9.3x74R. But, it is just a FINE cartridge and FAR superior to any of it's imitators, the Norma round being the only exception......... wink

The other option, would be to find a CZ-550 std. in .300Win. and re-barrel it, a bit pricey, but, with an AHR safety/trigger swap and then parts as above, one neat rifle.

Just some thots, after hours cleaning and organizing my gun/loading room.
Kutenay,
This just doesn't work for me without pictures!!! Also very interested in you 200 grn load! How much RE-22 and ignition? Fed 215 match?

Cheers,
Wild Bill
I need assistance posting pix, here, might see if the "boss" can figure it out during the week as I really should get into photos of my various guns, before I sell off the rest of my collection.

Anyway, this is where it CAN get a mite "tricky" as the fine old .300 "ouch and ouch" has been chambered in MANY, MANY different rifles for some 98 years. The Brtish, the Euros and the Yanks, ALL have slightly different "specs" on chambers and all of the many P-64-70s in H&H chamberings that I have shot have ALWAYS had LONG chambers.

I do not know for sure, but, after owning four .300s and four .375s, originals all, plus my custom .375 "shorty" Grizzly gun, built on a P-64 action, with a Classic sts bbl. in a Micky MC handle-bbl and stock, bought as "new" condition, take offs, for $100.00 each......., has the contemporary Winny chambering, seems to be NOT as long as the older ones.

I suspect that this was very deliberately done to offset the potential effects of African heat on the ammo of the old days, anyway, I have found it in all of mine and several belonging to friends over the years. One can still get 2600+ fps-mv with 300NPs , so, WTF, it is all good!

Easter dinner is being served, will look up my exact loads and post later or tomorrow.
© 24hourcampfire