Home
Posted By: ol_skool Scratched Cases - 05/25/13
Newcomer here, hope I can ask a question.

All right, I searched and read all I can find on this subject. I got a Ruger Hawkeye that's scratching up my precious cases.

What I've read is when folks send a rifle in to get fixed (pick any manufacture) they just send it back if it feeds fine. Mine laps up rounds like a hot dog in a cold creek. So they're not going to fix it and I don't want to send it in just to get it back in the same state.

I can see where all this is happening, under the rails and on the feeding ramp are some sharp corners.

Any advice or warnings before I take some stones and a dremel to these parts is welcome.

Steve
Oregon
Posted By: lastround Re: Scratched Cases - 05/25/13
I've had the same problem on several Rugers(especially current models) and on a few Remington 700s. I just took mine out of the stock, removed the bolt and polished the underside of the rails with 400 grit paper, then polished some more with 600 grit. Problem solved in every case. Today's labor cost evidently prohibit some of the final finish work which was performed a few years ago. Good luck!
Posted By: Malm Re: Scratched Cases - 05/25/13
Back away from the Dremel tool idea, it has no business being anywhere near feed rails. Use a fine stone or a fine piece of Emory cloth to break the sharp edges. Just enough to where a cotton swab won't snag. Afterwards, wash the area real good to get rid of any abrasives.
Posted By: high_country_ Re: Scratched Cases - 05/25/13
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ol_skool Re: Scratched Cases - 05/25/13
All right, I got that. No Dremel!

I have stones and all kinds of fine wet and dry for scary sharp chisels, plane irons, etc. The Dremel will stay cased up!

Thanks,
Steve
Oregon
Posted By: okie Re: Scratched Cases - 05/26/13
You can use the Dremel, just don;t turn it on! grin
Posted By: XRingAccuracy Re: Scratched Cases - 05/28/13
Originally Posted by okie
You can use the Dremel, just don;t turn it on! grin

LOL
Posted By: Reloader7RM Re: Scratched Cases - 05/28/13
I do use a dremel to polish rails and ramps with various felt polishing bits and compounds, but I agree to stay away from the sanding bits.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Scratched Cases - 05/29/13
For polishing I use sanding disks I cut from 400 or 600 wet-or-dry sheets backed by a felt polishing disk. 600 will mirror polish with just a little wear. Fresh 400 will remove a little steel if you work at it, sharp edges are in peril of course. So is flatness if you're not careful.
© 24hourcampfire