Home
Is there enough metal in a Winchester pre64 M70 barrel to
rebore to 35Whelen? Im thinking a new barrel would be the
best route.
From what I hear and read, it'll work. In fact, if I come across an old shot out pre-64 in '06 or similar, I'm going to get it rebored in 9.3x62. And it's .366 caliber. Rebore is less expensive than a new barrel, and I'm assuming premium grade tube. A good rebore should shoot pretty close to a premium barrel.

Check with JES reboring:http://www.35caliber.com/8.html

DF
.338-06 would be great.
Any medium on the '06 case is good.

DF
They're all good, but the 9.3x62 is goodest.

For a while I had an older Remington 760 for that had been rebored from .30-06 to .35 Whelen by JES. They do a great job, and not only did the rifle shoot very well but my bore-scope revealed some beautiful rifling. That isn't always required for accuracy, but it's pleasing to see just the same!
On the Model 70 I'd go 9.3x62. The Whelen is a good round but has always seemed out of place to me in anything other than a 1903 Springfield. In fact, I've got a Springfield sporter just waiting to go to JES to become a 35 Whelen. May have to let it season for a few more years though, other projects in the works with priority.
What is the cost of a rebore ?? I have heard that if the gun shot good before, it would probably shoot good after the rebore. Might save a few bucks on making my CZ 550 22-250 into a 280 AI for the long gongs.
I understand about half the cost of a premium re-barrel. A fitted Brux or equivalent can run $600.

Others may want to fine tune that a bit.

DG
About 15 yrs. ago I did just what you are thinking about, I found a shooter grade pre'64 M/70 and sent it to Randall Redman to be rebored/rechambered to .35 Whelen. It turned out great, it is my favorite hunting rifle, I can recommend Randall's work without reservation. He is one of the old time rebore men, his work is first class, turnaround and cost are reasonable.
My father restocked a 760 in 30-06 and had West rebore it to 35WAI as my college graduation present over 30 years ago. He wrote about it in the Rifleman back then.

It was AIed in part because the headspace was just a tad long. They cannot be set back so there is only one chance to get it right.

I have shot a number of moose, caribou, deer, black bears, and hogs with it over the years.

I have posted pictures of it many times... the myrtle stock is pretty...
I have a pre-64 model 70 (FW barrel with rear sight boss) originally 30-06, rebored to 35 whelen AI. I haven't done much load development, but it's a 1-1/2moa gun just fireforming brass with factory remington ammo.

I haven't tried any 10 shot groups, but it stays plenty accurate over 5 consecutive shots...then my shoulder needs a rest.

The last time I checked, JES charges $250 for a rebore.

He also told me that a bbl must have a minimum barrel wall thickness of .125" @ the muzzle AFTER any rebore, or he'll decline the job.

Do the math for a .30cal to .358cal rebore: .358" + .125" + .125" = .608".

IDK if your pre-64 M70 measures more/less than .600" @ the muzzle, but if it's that much or over, you're good to go.

I know that my .30-06 (1992) M70 FW was a non-starter, because it's muzzle OD was .500"

Thank you Rangr44, gun was for sale at a local shop and another
guy bought it while I was there. Another customer was telling
him the conversion was not safe, but I think he just wanted
the gun for himself and was upset because the other guy saw it
first.
I am sure Jim Dubell will rebore leaving .100" a side. At least that is what Cliff LaBounty required (I own three of his rebores) and Jim bought Cliff's business. Another option, if needed.
Any links to these guys web sites ?? I had Redmans info years ago..... ya know... back when I KNEW EVERYTHING !!,
I just checked Redman's website, he is not accepting any rebore work.
That's too bad. They have been a good name for a long time.
Originally Posted by JeffG
I have a pre-64 model 70 (FW barrel with rear sight boss) originally 30-06, rebored to 35 whelen AI. I haven't done much load development, but it's a 1-1/2moa gun just fireforming brass with factory remington ammo.

I haven't tried any 10 shot groups, but it stays plenty accurate over 5 consecutive shots...then my shoulder needs a rest.

A Featherweight with a rear sight boss? DO you have a picture of this?
Jim's re-boring business is at Clearwater Reboring or you can get to it on the Delta Gun Shop site. I've talked to him about a re-bore but have not had anything done by him.

I had my Ruger Hawkeye African re-bored from .375 to 404 (.423") by Dan Pedersen at Classic Barrel Works. The rifle was very accurate before the work and equally so after. Quick turn around time and very reasonably priced (about $350 a few years ago), including the throating work on the chamber.

From our conversation, he uses the 0.100" per side at the muzzle guideline as well.
JES x 2. To 9.3X62.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
They're all good, but the 9.3x62 is goodest.

For a while I had an older Remington 760 for that had been rebored from .30-06 to .35 Whelen by JES. They do a great job, and not only did the rifle shoot very well but my bore-scope revealed some beautiful rifling. That isn't always required for accuracy, but it's pleasing to see just the same!

It still shoots!
Kicking this topic back up for an additional question. Looking at sending my springfield 30-06 in to be rebored to 35 whelen.

Do I need to do any work other than having them rebore and rechamber? Will it feed ok with no work to the action?

Thanks

If you send it to JES, he will do everything. Feeding shouldn't be an issue. I had him make a 30-30 into a 356 and love it.

9.3x62 might be goodest, but the 9.3x64 is more bestest. shocked
Originally Posted by 10generation
Kicking this topic back up for an additional question. Looking at sending my springfield 30-06 in to be rebored to 35 whelen.

Do I need to do any work other than having them rebore and rechamber? Will it feed ok with no work to the action?

Thanks

Not a bad idea to AI the Whelen to improve brass life and reduce neck turning and all that stuff...
No feed issues with my M/70, suspect the same to be true with the Springfield. I have not had any issues with brass life nor needed to neck turn my .35 Whelen. I have used both Remington factory Whelen brass and have formed WW .30-06 brass into .35 Whelen, no issues of any kind with either. I have been shooting my Whelen for more than 25 yrs. now.
Terrific - thanks very much!
I had it done by Oregunsmithing. There were issues, but they bent over backwards to make it right, and they did a fine job. It was a very accurate rifle before I sold it, and I'm sure it's still fine. Would have kept it, but as I age, a Whelen with a steel buttplate is no longer fun to shoot at the bench. Don't need the power for a 130 lb. whitetail, so it went to someone who could use it.
I shoot 225gr. bullets for my whitetail load, moderate velocity it's not hard on the shoulder however I do have a recoil pad on my rifle. I may work up a 180gr. or 200gr. load to further reduce the felt recoil, either of these loads would be adequate for whitetail.
© 24hourcampfire