Home
Posted By: 1colt2case Remington model 7 rebarrel - 12/15/13
Been looking buying a 243 AI barrel for a model 7 rifle . Would like to order one threaded and ready to install( with having head space correctly set). However every company that offers this only makes these barrels for rem 700 and not rem model 7. Can anyone tell me the difference in threads or whatever the difference is from 700 to the model 7. Or where I can purchase a barrel (prefit)? Thanks
I believe the Remington's are all the same except the 788
My Model 7, 7mm08 improved started out as a regular 7mm08 off of a Remington 700. Bought off this very site. miles
Posted By: woofer Re: Remington model 7 rebarrel - 12/15/13
Prefit needs headspace. May not need lathe time but no promises. Send to smith for fitting. If you consider a few hundred bucks vs cost of gun finished the benefit of a minimal chamber and proper fit of a high powered center fire rifle barrel are nominal.....

And yes everything same between 7 and 700..

W
Thanks for the info guys I had called E.R.SHAW to order one of their barrels and they had told me it wouldn't work. Maybe I need to speak with someone other than the woman that answers the phone. Is their a better company/ barrel out there that I should look at instead of shaw?
Lilja, PacNor, Hart, Lothar Walter to name a few.
Originally Posted by 1colt2case
Thanks for the info guys I had called E.R.SHAW to order one of their barrels and they had told me it wouldn't work. Maybe I need to speak with someone other than the woman that answers the phone. Is their a better company/ barrel out there that I should look at instead of shaw?

She was probably telling you the idea of finding a barrel properly headspaced was not possible. And she was correct.
I highly doubt you will find smith or manufacturer sell you a fully chambered barrel for a Remington. The reason being is proper head spacing mentioned above. Remington machining tolerances vary so much that its extremely unsafe to do so. Now on the other hand, a custom action like BAT, Kelbly, Stiller etc, it can be done with confidence.
Thanks for all the information she had led me to believe the threads were different from a model 700 to a model 7. My gunsmith is going to order the barrel for me tomorrow.
© 24hourcampfire