Home
I am building a 338-06AI on a Winchester Classic action. The action was originally setup for a 06 based cartridge and has the spacer in the magazine. I would like to take full advantage of the extra length but I am worried about feeding issues.

If I remove the spacer would I just have to shorten the ejector and replace the follower or is there more to it?

Thanks in advance!
I have a 338-06 IMP built on a Model 70 classic.

The spacer, such as it is, takes up very little room. You would gain a very little bit, maybe .2" of additional length. I am not sure what you could hope to gain in velocity.

The improved version of the 338-06 allows maybe an additional 25 FPS over the standard version - no more at comparable pressures. If it feeds (mine does), there is no downside I can see to going with the AI (it does look cool) but if it is magnum velocities you want, than build a magnum and have done with it.
Not trying to seek magnum velocity but why not take advantage of a H&H length action? Unless of course it causes feeding issues.

I haven't ordered my barrel yet, can't imagine how having additional seating depth would be a bad thing.

Nonetheless thanks for your reply.

It isn't just the magazine. You'll need a new follower, new or modified bolt stop and ejector. Might even need to have the ejection port lengthened.. All to gain .2 or so.. If it's due to the choice of a much longer bullet then maybe the expense is worth it..

BTW, that's not a full-length H&H action - what you have is a standard LA and you're trying to make it into a full-length version..
Thanks Redneck. I thought Winchester long actions were H&H length with just a spacer for the mag for 06 length.

I knew it would need a new follower, bolt stop and ejector but didn't measure the ejection port.
Oh and I'm planning on the 225 TTSX or 225 Accubond, nothing crazy long.
© 24hourcampfire