Home
Posted By: clayhustler what grit is it - 03/06/14
After finding my ring lapping compound is dry than a bone, I got to looking to get more. No big deal just vo to Sinclair or midway to order more. Then I remembered the Clover compound. A can of that will last a lifetime and never go bad. I wonder what grit the original stuff was, b ot it at Sinclair when it was still Sinclair, thenwhat grit of clover to get. Help aanybody do this. Or am I NUTS.
Posted By: ab_bentley Re: what grit is it - 03/06/14
McMaster Car has it in all grits.

Adam
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: what grit is it - 03/06/14
Clover was not a single grit. Most of my old cans had a grit on one side and a finer one on the other side.
Posted By: Craigster Re: what grit is it - 03/06/14
I've still got at least a 1/2 can of each Clover, coarse and fine are the designation. One says roughing, the other finishing, no numerical grit designation.
Posted By: high_country_ Re: what grit is it - 03/06/14
It seems to me that a pinch of ao or garnet and some grease is all it would take.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: what grit is it - 03/06/14
Just add some mineral spirits to it and stir.

Don't add to much at once,it will come back.
Posted By: RAN Re: what grit is it - 03/06/14
The double ended cans were sold for lapping valves in engine heads, hence "Roughing" and "Finishing".

For scope rings, 120 grit SC is suitable. Finer grits just take more time.

RAN
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: what grit is it - 03/07/14
Originally Posted by RAN
The double ended cans were sold for lapping valves in engine heads, hence "Roughing" and "Finishing".

For scope rings, 120 grit SC is suitable. Finer grits just take more time.

RAN

That is correct, but from the olden days.
Posted By: Offshoreman Re: what grit is it - 03/08/14
I use the Wheeler Engineering ring lapping kit (super!) and the compound supplied is 220 grit and it does a great job with aluminum rings BUT is a little weak for steel - I'm going to try something more along the lines of 120-150 grit for steel - my only problem is that most compounds are thin and runny and I want something with more of a paste-like consistency.
Posted By: fjlee Re: what grit is it - 03/09/14

I have the Clover/Fel-Pro product brochure here. It sez the double-ended cans contain 1 oz. of 280 silicone carbide grit, and 2 oz. of 120 silicon carbide grit. This grit is embedded in grease.

Part number (may be outdated) is 51840

FjLee Denver CO
Posted By: Offshoreman Re: what grit is it - 03/09/14
Thank you Sir, I will get some!
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: what grit is it - 03/20/14
Just ordered a master catalogue from these folks.

They carry a LOT of shop gear and plunder.

Phew,....talk about 'All the Grits'

Link: http://www.essentracomponents.com/product/J-1/1100058
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: what grit is it - 03/22/14
Got get mine from Cliff Lebounty..
© 24hourcampfire