Home
Winchester M70 LA pushfeed. I don't know the exact name for it but it is the spring that puts upward tension on the bolt release lever.

I haven't been able to find one on the net. That may be because I don't know what it is called.

Doesn't anyone know where I can get a replacement?

It was there with all the other parts and now it is not. I have looked and looked. mad
look inside or any other springs that were there with it and any recesses of other parts.rick.
Try looking a the schematics on numrichs to figure out the name of the spring you need. Of course after you buy a replacement you fill find the lost part!
Numrich calls it a "breech bolt stop spring" part 38 in the post 64 model 70 schematic. They are in stock for $4.25.
Thank you all very much. I know as soon as the new spring gets here the old one will reappear..
Originally Posted by SuburbanHunter
I know as soon as the new spring gets here the old one will reappear..

More than likely . . . speaking from experience. laugh
And it will be in plain view... speaking from experience.

Welcome to the club. laugh
Originally Posted by nighthawk
And it will be in plain view... speaking from experience.

Welcome to the club. laugh

This ^^^^^
A magnetic "broom" is a handy item to have in your shop. About $10 at big box stores like Home Depot.

Paul
Fine - as long as the part hits the floor.. Most times, the little bastids zip right up into the ceiling and bounce down into a crevice, tool box or other unfindable place..

BTDT...
lost a hammer pin while putting a few new parts on my 1911 and tore the place apart for two days trying to find it. ordered a new one. arrived and took it out of the package. laid it on the bench turned around and the original one was laying by the new one. needed a drink after that one.
Leprechaun. No doubt about it. With non-gun people they do that mostly with car keys. smile
Sometime using a very bright LED flashlight will help fine lost parts. Just like those CSI guys looking for clues.
I lost the bolt release spring and plunger on my pre-64 Model 70. I got down on my knees and felt around like a blind mind and found the plunger but the spring vanished. Got the flashlight out and that was all for naught. It just melted in with the floor never to be seen again.
I too thought that was why God invented magnets.
A gunsmith that I know lost a part for a S&W revolver several years ago and looked for hours with no luck. He ordered the part, fixed the gun, and a week or so later was sitting at the dinner table with his wife. He had his foot resting on his opposite knee and by chance looked down at the sole of his boot and saw the part stuck in the deep tread, dug it out and it was still the same condition as it was when he lost it. He tells me now that he keeps his bench and shop floor as clean as possible now.
The new spring arrived.

In an effort to draw the old spring out of hiding I stapled it (in the little plastic bag it came in) to the workbench upwind from the spot where I last saw the old spring. I figure tonight will be the night. Thought about running out and getting a trail camera but that seems a little over the top...

Brilliant - LMAO

Be spooky if you find the lost one inside the plastic bag with the new one...
Wooooooooo! eek
I hate loosing parts, btw never reassemble a Ruger MKI over a toilet. Just saying.
Now that's funny!
The most dreaded sound in the world of amateur gunsmithing is that of a spring letting go, when you least expect it-

SPANG!
Built a new shop during the winter, am in the process of moving, It's scary the number of tiny screws and springs coming out of all the crevices between workbenches and toolboxes!!
Originally Posted by Redneck
Fine - as long as the part hits the floor.. Most times, the little bastids zip right up into the ceiling and bounce down into a crevice, tool box or other unfindable place..

BTDT...

You, sir, are definitely a qualified gunsmith! BTDT. My best was a Savage 110 spring that sprung and stuck in a crack in the 3-sided log wall 7 feet up.... found it about 3 months later. I hate 110's.....

If you are gonna gunsmith, it's either the magnet or kneepads- and then you are out of luck 40% of the time for said reasons... smile

Talk to Jack First Distributors in Rapid City, SD for replacement parts. Tons better service than Numrich/Gun Parts, which claims to have umteen million parts parts in stock but seldom the one you need, and then it takes anywhere from 6 weeks to 3 years to get it. At least in my experience froma couple decades ago as a practicing gunsmith - they may have upgraded since...
I March, my Colt 1908 safety plunger and spring escaped, the only thing left is an oil spot on the ceiling.

I could make the plunger ok, but the best spring I could scrounge up was only one tenth the force of the original.

I made a 25 second video about it, with a disgusted voice.

© 24hourcampfire