Home
I got my 10 year old son a Youth Mossberg 500 in 20 gauge and the action is a little tight and tough for him to get the action closed.

You guys have some suggestions on how to make it operate a little smoother/easier?

thanks,
Chris
Trade it in for a Remington 870 Youth Model. I went though the same problems with a Mossberg I got for my oldest nephew. Learned my lesson, spent a little extra and now all of my Neices & Nephews have Remington 870 20ga Models.

Unfortunately, the Mossberg Pump will never be as smooth as the Remington.
I'm not saying the Mossberrgs are bad guns. Merely stating a fact, and I just hate to see a kid frustrated with a new shotgun that's hard to operate. JMHO. Hope this was helpfull.
Oil on the shiny parts and tell him he must master it.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Trade it in for a Remington 870 Youth Model. I went though the same problems with a Mossberg I got for my oldest nephew. Learned my lesson, spent a little extra and now all of my Neices & Nephews have Remington 870 20ga Models.

Unfortunately, the Mossberg Pump will never be as smooth as the Remington.
I'm not saying the Mossberrgs are bad guns. Merely stating a fact, and I just hate to see a kid frustrated with a new shotgun that's hard to operate. JMHO. Hope this was helpfull.

Absolutely correct!!! Except I will say Mossbergs are bad guns for kids... I have had a number of folks come to me with exactly the same problem and every time it ended the same... the Mossberg had to go...
Yep, an 870 if feasible.
If you haven't taken it apart and cleaned the factory oil out I suggest starting there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKbWcPdTRBI
You could "lube" the action with polishing compound and pump it a few hundred times
That takes "Polishing a Turd" to new heights...
© 24hourcampfire