Home
I recently picked up a like new browning X bolt with rings and mounts attached. I just started to mount a scope and found 3 of the four bolts threads holding the rear mount were stripped. I found that the threads in the rifle were good. The problem was that the 3 stripped bolts were 30 thousanths shorter than the bolt that held tight. It seems that the shorter ones only allowed for one or two threads to grip and must have been easily stripped. 3 bolts were .380", the longer bolt that works in each hole is .410". My question is ....What is the easiest way to fix this? Also, what size screws do I need to order.. Where can I order them from? Here are some pics to show the screws. Thank you for any guidance you can provide... John
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Did you check the front mount, to see if it has three longer ones, and a short one? Possibly they got mixed around by the previous owner? I used to have an x-bolt, and if I recall, the different mounts used different length screws, as the front and rear mounts were different thickness.
Thanks for the advice, I will check this out.
Borden, you are the man!
Sure enough. I removed the front base and measured the screws. 3 were .410, 1 was .380. I took the 3 longer ones and put them in the rear. Took the 3 shorter ones from the rear and put them on the front and PROBLEM SOLVED! It seems stupid for the leupold folks to make mounts with such minute but significant differences in their mounting system.
I forgot to say thank you very much!
No problem, glad I saved you some trouble!
It seems stupid for the Leupold folks to make mounts with such minute but significant differences in their mounting system.

They have to contour them to fit the firearm on the bottom and be level on top

Sometimes that means they must be different heights or thicknesses, since they have no control over the guns dimensions
© 24hourcampfire