Home
Posted By: Setterman Savage 99 problem - 07/26/14
I have a 1948 vintage Savage 99 in 30 Savage.

I use it occasionally and had it out for a bit yesterday, and put it away. I took it out today and cocked the lever and it will only close about half way. There are no obvious obstructions in the chamber, and all of the moving parts in the rotating mag seem to be ok.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bob
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Savage 99 problem - 07/26/14
Is the cutoff stopping the bolt from closing? When stops, can you push in on the cutoff and will it then close?
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Savage 99 problem - 07/26/14
Could be the bolt stop to. You'll need to pull the stock.
Posted By: Setterman Re: Savage 99 problem - 07/27/14
Scott:

Thanks for the response. Like it or not, I'll have to pull the stock and see what's what.

Thought it might be as simple of pushing on the mag in the hope that it might be hanging up, but nothing's ever that easy.

Best,

Bob
Posted By: carbon12 Re: Savage 99 problem - 07/27/14
Originally Posted by Setterman
I have a 1948 vintage Savage 99 in 30 Savage.

I use it occasionally and had it out for a bit yesterday, and put it away. I took it out today and cocked the lever and it will only close about half way. There are no obvious obstructions in the chamber, and all of the moving parts in the rotating mag seem to be ok.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bob

If you pull the trigger while closing the bolt, will the bolt close completely?

Posted By: steve99 Re: Savage 99 problem - 07/27/14
Yeah, that.

Otherwise pull the stock.
Thanks guys. I've tried the trigger trick, but no go.

I'll pull the stock today.

Bob
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Savage 99 problem - 07/27/14
If the magazine cutoff isn't blocking the bolt, it has to be the bolt stop. If that screw loosens any you can have problems.

If I remember, its on the left side bottom. If you haven't had one apart they are simple to see and understand everything that is happening in there.

Sans that damn rotor..
Posted By: carbon12 Re: Savage 99 problem - 07/27/14
If the previous suggested fixes yield no joy, take a look at the diagonal slot at the bottom rear of the bolt. Once the buttstock is off, lay the rifle on the left side, muzzle pointing to the left and the lever pointing away from you. You will see the top of the slot clearly. If a bit of debris gets lodged at the top of the slot, it will block the bolt going into battery as you have described.

The top pic below (pulled from the net)shows the slot in question.

[Linked Image]
Thanks guys, the Rifle will be disassembled tonight.

Bob
Posted By: Setterman Re: Savage 99 problem - 07/28/14
Well, my rifle will be off to the gunsmith, maybe even to Savage, as the plant is only 20 mi from home.

I removed the stock, and a metal tab immediately fell into my hand. Closer observation indicated a loose screw floating in the works. The screw was/is obviously the culprit. Given my child like mechanical skills, it's best that the gun go to a pro.

Thanks for all of your help.

Best,

Bob
Posted By: Historygeek Re: Savage 99 problem - 07/28/14
check with Savage. I am curious to know if they will work on the model 99 any longer. I was under the impression they wouldn't touch them any more.

Post back what they say: I would like to know.
Posted By: Skidrow Re: Savage 99 problem - 07/28/14
The current Savage management has decided that Savage will no longer repair the M99. That's it. If you intend to send it to a smith ensure that he has actual knowledge of Savage M99s. Most don't these days. All smiths are not equal. wink
I'll report back.

Thanks for the info on Savage.

Bob
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Savage 99 problem - 07/28/14
The bolt stop screw. Shouldn't be much of a problem to get working again. 99's are about as simple a gun as they come, everything is right there in front of you.

Two points:

Savage will no longer repair any rifles manufactured prior to 1995. I have no idea if this policy was implemented by ATK or the previous owners.

I will get a schematic and get this thing back together.

Scott, Carbon et al, thanks for the pics and advice.

Bob
Guys:

T'was the bolt stop, and it must have been an easy fix, because I was able to do the repair.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Bob
Posted By: 5thShock Re: Savage 99 problem - 07/30/14
That magazine saves the 99 shooter from the obscure and arcane mysteries of the shell lifter and its intolerant timings. Wish I still had mine.
© 24hourcampfire