Home
A buddy of mine has a 25-06 savage 110(?) that has the original savage trigger (not accutrigger). The pull weight seems quite high. Can a competent gunsmith make this a 3 lb, crisp trigger or will he have to go with an aftermarket trigger? Just trying to help him solve the problem. Thanks, john
Trigger spring can be replaced with a lighter one, but it will never get to be a 1.5 lb target trigger. It's an easy experiment, just save the original spring and test,test,TEST for bump fires before loading.

I have an assortment of piano wire for that purpose. If you get too light the sear will typically fail to engage the hammer on bolt closure.
Go to this web site. http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/savage110trigger.html

I have been able to safely reduce trigger pull weight on original Savage 110 rifles down to 4 LB pull. Several will safely adjust to 3LB pull but be very cautious when going to this light weight pull. When properly adjusted, the savage trigger provides a very dependable and crisp hunting trigger.
If looking for a lighter pull weight on Savage 110 rifle, you need go to aftermarket . Not to hard to install but will cost over $100.
The first step is changing out the factory trigger return spring (L-shaped wire on the side of the trigger housing) with a smaller diameter wire cut and bent to the same shape. The wire on a cheap buzz bait is perfect. If he is lucky, the trigger has a screw through the sear notch. If it does, he can get a clean pull under 3# by reducing the sear engagement. Be careful and don't stone the surface much (if at all) though because the trigger is made of mild steel with a thin case hardening on the outside. Be sure the trigger is not too light by doing a bump test.
© 24hourcampfire