Home
Logistically how hard would it be to set up a Ruger 77 SA, for a 30/30 barrel?

Thinking of replacing the extractor with one from a SA Mag...

but then how hard would it be to convert it to feed, from say an action that was previously 243...

always wanted a model 54 Win in 30/30, but that would be sort of as easy as winning the lottery....

was thinking about doing one on the Ruger SA...

thoughts, or more trouble than it is worth?

thanks in advance...
Unless you did the work yourself and had many hours of time that was worth nothing to you, I'm almost certain you could sell the 77 and buy a 54 and be way ahead. I don't see any good way to make it feed and I've seen 3 or 4 54s in 30/30 in the last year or two sell at gunshows for $600 or less.
Remington made a .30-30 on the 788 and Savage did as well. Neither of these rifles are in the same class as the Winchester M/54 but you might want to consider them.
Build yourself a bolt action in the 30 Remington and you will have the same thing.
Originally Posted by bea175
Build yourself a bolt action in the 30 Remington and you will have the same thing.

Or, find a nice pre owned Savage Super Sporter in 300 or 30-30 and have fun.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=446107007
I saw a couple of 788s on gunbroker recently, theycan get pretty crazy!
Savage 340 can be had cheaply.
I got lucky and grabbed a great 340 a few years ago. I even had the side mount and an old busted Weaver.

IIRC, I gave $325.00 for it.

Good honest wear.
It shoots the Privi/ Monarch 170 jacketed flat points into a little over 1.5"@100.
It seems to me that one of the members here had a Ruger M77 converted to .30/40 Krag. I guess if you have money or want to do it yourself a .30-30 would be possible.

Rem Model 30 came in 30 Remington
Originally Posted by 257_X_50
Savage 340 can be had cheaply.

There are three listed on Guns International, one in pretty decent looking shape for $295.
I killed my first deer as a teen with the Savage 340 in 30-30 early 60's
Hated the mag in my 788, tripped it down the road.

Mike
Feeding would seem to be the big issue. Seems you would have to figure a way to stagger the case heads?
I killed my first deer as a teen with the Savage 340 in 30-30 early 60's

I've bought two Savage 340s over the last 10-12 years locally in 30/30, but was disappointed in them.... just too Plain Jane...

they shot well, but still just felt too junky...

They were both bought for $125 around here...
Model 1914 Enfield might be fairly easy to covert to 30-30. I just got rid of one that had a rusted barrel - cheap.
Practically, it's more trouble than it is worth. As a gun loony, practical isn't always the bottom line. smile

If you want an old-tech bolt action in a rimmed cartridge have you considered a Krag?

Just load a .308 down to .30-30 levels.
© 24hourcampfire