Home
Posted By: RevMike Mauser 93/95 - What Do I Have? - 10/30/14
The other day I was cleaning out a closet and ran across something I'd forgotten I have. It is a rather rough "cock on close" Mauser barreled action, sans floorplate, magazine, and trigger guard. The only thing I have is the barreled action and bolt.

The barrel is about 24 inches long, and is stepped down in the old military style. The bolt handle has been modified to accommodate a scope, and the knob itself is only half round (flat on the bottom). The serial number on both the barrel and action is four digits. The only other stamping is along the left side of the action, "Deutsch Waffen und MunitionsFabriken" and under that it is stamped "Berlin". I have no idea what caliber it might be, but my guess is 7x57.

My uncle, who was an amateur gunsmith and spinner of yarns extraordinaire, gave it to me in about 1973 or 1974, along with a stock that had been roughed out but not completed. He had done a few 8x57 M98s before, but never got around to finishing this one.

Any idea what I have and/or when it might have been manufactured?

Thanks.
A pic would go a long way toward identification...
I'll shoot a pic and post one when I get to the house.
Most 95s had a round bolt face, 93s had a flat bottom.
M93?

[Linked Image]
That's a 93.
Thanks.
Posted By: las Re: Mauser 93/95 - What Do I Have? - 10/31/14
Just remember. PM didn't get it right until '98.... smile
Yeah, I'm gonna put it back in the closet.
No need to put it away. These can be made into handy rifles.
7x57
257 Bob
300 Savage
Unless you do the work yourself you'll never get out of it what you'll put into it. Last one I bought, I paid $75 for, but it had the bottom metal. I put many hours into it and about $250 in parts. It is worth about $300 now. Those parts are getting harder to find. If you ever have an intention of putting it together - gather your parts now.
I put one together and gave it to my nephew for HS graduation. My other nephew had a 300 Savage waiting for him, but decided to drop out, cover himself with ink and put a bunch of extra holes in his body. I'll keep it for him in case he ever gets his act together.
That's the one thing I don't have is the talent and/or know-how to do it. Maybe when I retire. But you bring up a good point: I ought to go ahead and get the messing bottom metal.
© 24hourcampfire