Home
Posted By: plumashntr M70 extractor - 11/19/14
I was helping my friend clean his model 70 and we found his extractor
Is really loose fitting on the bolt and rotates on the bolt loosely. I know it is supposed to be snug. Anyone have any ideas what may be causing this?
Posted By: greydog Re: M70 extractor - 11/19/14
Wear on the extractor and/or bolt body, extractor too soft (insufficient "spring"), oversized collar, stretched lips on collar. That should about cover it. GD
Posted By: plumashntr Re: M70 extractor - 11/19/14
Thanks greydog. I have a feeling its a worn extractor ring colar. The rifle is rarely used so the bolt seems fine. I talked him into buying a williams extractor anyways so maybe replace the ring collar and see if that fix things?
Posted By: EdM Re: M70 extractor - 11/19/14
How does the rifle feed, extract and eject?
Posted By: MichiganScott Re: M70 extractor - 11/19/14
Originally Posted by EdM
How does the rifle feed, extract and eject?

Good question. Sometimes gun guys insist on fixing something that isn't broke until it is.
It feeds and extracts well and the timing is good but I took the bolt out and slip a round under the claw and it holds pretty loose, round is hanging off and with a little jiggle the extractor spins freely.
Posted By: Redneck Re: M70 extractor - 11/19/14
All you really have to do is remove the extractor and put a gentle bit of "bend" in the tail (just rear of the collar recess]. It should just be enough of a bend to require some (not a lot) pressure to re-attach the collar.. Then reinstall the bolt in the rifle and see how the extraction/ejection works..
Ha! Thanks redneck it worked! Going to call my friend to pick it up. If you were close maybe have him buy you a beer redneck.
Posted By: Redneck Re: M70 extractor - 11/19/14
There's the mail, you know..

laugh

But seriously, that's how a M70 CRF extractor is tentioned to provide the proper grip.. Glad it worked out for ya..
© 24hourcampfire